Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: mopars4ever] #3070377
08/22/22 09:43 AM
08/22/22 09:43 AM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
I just had this discussion with a guy at work this morning. He needs a CVT for his Mazda and he was trying to find the best rebuilt or remanufactured unit. I told him I would definitely go with a low mileage junkyard factory build over any rebuilt unit, especially since the junkyard part was about a third of the cost of a rebuilt one.

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3070387
08/22/22 10:06 AM
08/22/22 10:06 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
I will disagree with one thing the guy in the video said; he said that in normal driving balancing the rear tires doesn't matter. It does matter. You can feel out of balance rears at highway speed. And they are tough on the shocks too with the extra beating they put on the valving.

Making a statement like that discredits him in a big way. Why would I watch if he’s coming off with something like that?

My experience with rear tire balance seems to be different than his. But I learned something from his experience with the U joints. I would have never thought to check that area. Nobody's perfect and sometimes important things can be learned from surprising places.

Master, again and still
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: That AMC Guy] #3070392
08/22/22 10:14 AM
08/22/22 10:14 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
I will disagree with one thing the guy in the video said; he said that in normal driving balancing the rear tires doesn't matter. It does matter. You can feel out of balance rears at highway speed. And they are tough on the shocks too with the extra beating they put on the valving.

I will second that. Maybe bigger trucks with floating axles can absorb the vibrations better but any passenger car tire should be balanced.

I actually got FIRED from Kal-Tire for double checking my work. I got called a "Time Waster" because I would spin the tire up a second time after putting on fresh weights to ensure I got "Double Zeros" on the second spin to ensure the customer got a truly balanced tire. I was told to: "Quit wasting time - wheel balancing doesn't need to be exact."

It was also barked at me that "Nobody can feel a half an ounce" which I replied: "I could. And if that's the attitude around here, I'll NEVER bring my toys here for anything!"

Got hauled into the office. Got let go the next day. (Barely worked there for a week. It was and probably still is a "Little Boys" Club)

Funny because when I've worked with REAL MECHANICS at the Canadian Tire chain, I was praised for double checking my work and giving the customer a quality job. Still friends with one of the mechanics I worked with over 15 years later. We had some GOOD times at that store.

But I do agree with Uncle Tony. It's a 4 out of 10 world out there now.

iagree I ALWAYS spin the tire after applying the weights. Only rarely do they need any additional attention. As often as not, they just need one of the weights moved a small amount rather than more weights added.

But it is obvious that some tire shops do give the tires a check spin. There are multiple weights in several places around the rim. laugh2

Master, again and still
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: 6PakBee] #3070417
08/22/22 11:38 AM
08/22/22 11:38 AM
KY
65pacecar Online happy
master
65pacecar  Online Happy
master

KY
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I still think there are good parts out there, but they aren't from the old, traditional lines that we grew up with. King bearings, Cometic gaskets, and Rare Parts suspension parts come to mind.

I have used Rare Parts on a few projects, nice stuff. Their quality seems comparable to the old Moog stuff. I’ll try King Bearings, never used them, same with the Cometic. Thanks.

Last edited by 65pacecar; 08/22/22 11:39 AM.
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: 65pacecar] #3070450
08/22/22 01:01 PM
08/22/22 01:01 PM
Clinton, NJ
N
njmopar Offline
pro stock
njmopar  Offline
pro stock
N

Clinton, NJ
His experiences are stuck in a bit of a time capsule and don't always relate to modern vehicles. I bet in the days of soft compound, tall aspect ratio tires on leaf springs, you could get away with not balancing rear tires (until you rotated them). Its not that they were not out of balance, you just didn't feel it much. Modern low profile tires on a modern suspension, no way.

I watch him for the entertainment value, which can be funny, Like his name implies, he is like that old Uncle you had that has an opinion on everything.

He does resonate on a few topics and sadly with the current state of aftermarket parts, buyer beware.

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: njmopar] #3070501
08/22/22 03:51 PM
08/22/22 03:51 PM
N.Y.
sixpacksteve Offline
pro stock
sixpacksteve  Offline
pro stock

N.Y.
for the most part.
there is No money in a cure.
the old days of building stuff to last is gone.
UT is great for folks who want to learn something they didn't know(myself included)
is it 100% spot on, maybe not.
growing up in the 70's all the cheap crap was made in Japan. Now china. who's next?
look up how and why USA outsourced everything.

Hell Hath No Fury Like Mine
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: sixpacksteve] #3070503
08/22/22 04:01 PM
08/22/22 04:01 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
On the topic of YouTube automotive personalities takes on part quality. Car Wizard said he’s not taking any more jobs involving engine rebuilding now until the quality issues are resolved. He said he’s been having cams wiped out shortly after installing rebuilt engines recently due to bad lifters and camshafts. The last engine he had done he tracked down NOS parts for it, since he won’t trust new parts now.
We’ll see what he does if Hoovie brings him a new purchase needing an engine. work

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: DaveRS23] #3070594
08/22/22 08:26 PM
08/22/22 08:26 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Making a statement like that discredits him in a big way. Why would I watch if he’s coming off with something like that?

My experience with rear tire balance seems to be different than his. But I learned something from his experience with the U joints. I would have never thought to check that area. Nobody's perfect and sometimes important things can be learned from surprising places.

Gonna admit you are right on the U-joints. Blew up my Mustangs rear at 50k and got a new unit. That thing vibrated at every speed. Turned it back in for another new unit from a major supplier. Now it only vibrates at 70mph. We did all sorts of stuff on the first replacement including flipping the shaft 180. Finally went with a Ford Racing one piece driveshaft. Still a vibration at 70mph but it needs it 5k covered fluid change now. Thinking of just checking the gaps. I know UT says the caps are that way for bigger ford c- clips, but hey, you never know. Besides checking it out would take what, 10 minutes maybe.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: sixpacksteve] #3070597
08/22/22 08:31 PM
08/22/22 08:31 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Originally Posted by sixpacksteve
for the most part.
there is No money in a cure.
the old days of building stuff to last is gone.
UT is great for folks who want to learn something they didn't know(myself included)
is it 100% spot on, maybe not.
growing up in the 70's all the cheap crap was made in Japan. Now china. who's next?
look up how and why USA outsourced everything.

Kind of funny Steve. Bought Timkin's a couple of years ago for the Barracuda and when I looked at where they were from, some from Germany, some from Mexico. And I was elated. At least not China!!

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: klunick] #3070728
08/23/22 11:19 AM
08/23/22 11:19 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i just bought some timkins for a bridgeport quill, and those things were made in bangladesh !! eek flame
timkins were in it to start with, and i figured i would replace the bearings with the same brand.
i told the counter guy if these things went bad in a couple years, they were coming back !
beer

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: moparx] #3070919
08/23/22 10:14 PM
08/23/22 10:14 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
there are some countries that can produce a quality product at reasonable prices. I wouldn't worry about the Timkens or Bangladesh twocents beer

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: DaveRS23] #3070952
08/24/22 12:46 AM
08/24/22 12:46 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada

iagree I ALWAYS spin the tire after applying the weights. Only rarely do they need any additional attention. As often as not, they just need one of the weights moved a small amount rather than more weights added. But it is obvious that some tire shops do give the tires a check spin. There are multiple weights in several places around the rim. laugh2

Seeing that will always make me laugh out loud. Especially when it's a high-dollar car like a Camaro that somebody has put WAY too much money into but there's a Kraco cassette player hacked into the dash and at least two wheels with multiple weights.

Or when you see a wheel with a weight PAINTED to match the wheel, but then fresh lead weights on another location. realcrazy Bless their hearts.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: That AMC Guy] #3071015
08/24/22 09:39 AM
08/24/22 09:39 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
We balance a fair amount of wheels/tires here. Two things that I constantly rail about; multiple weights around a rim and tires that are not round. And we see a lot of both. When we buy tires, it is only matched sets of used from the wrecking yards. Any more, I try to order two sets because often as not, one set will have a tire or two or three that are egg shaped. So back they go. For our personal vehicles, I try to only use Michelin Defenders. Great tires. Very little weight needed and they are consistently ROUND!

Master, again and still
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: DaveRS23] #3071019
08/24/22 09:51 AM
08/24/22 09:51 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I just bought 4 oem 18x8 mopar rims for my parts runner, ordered 4 low end tires, 2 needed nothing and 2 needed less the 1 oz.

The sky is not falling. Complain all we like but it it what it is. Dont seem to stop people from buying that new intake that always needs work or the overseas rods that most need a lil work from the box...heads...ect.... so why are we shocked?

Some just need to retire and move on as they have put there time in but things always change. If this were 1922 vs 2022 what would old men be talking about in there rocking chairs?

Things are not designed for longevity these days by design, why keep a car on the road for 20 years when you can make them buy new every 10? Why do things with a 2 year warranty designed to last 3 years?

Most is a business model, people are still going to need to drive no matter how short the service life of parts.

Get up happy every day and let the little bumps in the road stay little.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3071022
08/24/22 10:13 AM
08/24/22 10:13 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Most parts are low quality because of us.

Most people when given the option will choose the cheapest part available.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3071030
08/24/22 11:06 AM
08/24/22 11:06 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
What you call complaining, is information sharing to others. Information is knowledge and knowledge can be empowering. For some. But that is dependent on and reflective of individual outlooks. Those that see this post as complaining are more likely to dismiss it. If it is taken as information, then something can be learned and those problems possibly avoided. But then you have to have an open mind and a positive attitude to gain that advantage.

And not surprisingly, you are the only one talking about the sky falling.

Master, again and still
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: DaveRS23] #3071035
08/24/22 11:16 AM
08/24/22 11:16 AM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
We balance a fair amount of wheels/tires here. Two things that I constantly rail about; multiple weights around a rim and tires that are not round. And we see a lot of both. When we buy tires, it is only matched sets of used from the wrecking yards. Any more, I try to order two sets because often as not, one set will have a tire or two or three that are egg shaped. So back they go. For our personal vehicles, I try to only use Michelin Defenders. Great tires. Very little weight needed and they are consistently ROUND!
When I brought my wifes daily driver vw in for new tires the guy commented that there wasn`t any weights on any of the rims. I laughed because I removed them all prior to keep from having multiple weights on each rim. It seems a lot of the guys won`t remove the stick on weights before balancing.

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: ruderunner] #3071102
08/24/22 03:14 PM
08/24/22 03:14 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by ruderunner
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
The real question is how UT got so many smucks to follow him? UT is about as average as average can get for a mopar guy, and thats being nice.

Sure he's an average mopar guy. But he's an average mopar guy with a YouTube channel.

Like all former magazine writers, they had to move on to the video format or starve.

Some have done it better than others. Tony was better in print.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: mopars4ever] #3071105
08/24/22 03:23 PM
08/24/22 03:23 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Can`t seem to win anymore. At one time you would usually get what you pay for but nowadays not so much. If it isn`t the junk defective products then it`s the poor service or it will get damaged during shipping from poor packaging.
Seriously, what do some of these people do? Toss the package from rooftop????

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: This guy says that 'Everything is defective nowadays' [Re: larrymopar360] #3071169
08/24/22 07:57 PM
08/24/22 07:57 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
You can still get good quality race car stuff these days, but it seems you have to go to, what I almost have to call, boutique shops. Places still privately owned, likely by the guy who started it. And you have to pay for it. Even they have trouble finding raw materials and supplies to build their stuff.

The places that were always reliable, but have been gobbled up by PE firms and conglomerates are hit or miss these days. Mostly miss, although some of them still do some of the good high end stuff in house.

MSD, Edelbrock, a number of the engine parts people come to mind.

I still have some involvement in traditional auto parts. Most of it is Chinese. The "good" stuff comes from India, Mexico, Taiwan, anywhere but PRC. Not much USA made stuff in the chain auto parts stores. Even the name brand stuff. National, Moog, most spark plugs, electronics, brakes, you name it. Quality is hit or miss as well.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 08/24/22 07:58 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4