08/15/22 09:35 PM
08/15/22 09:35 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
The proper use of an adjustable strut rod will allow you to fine tune the Poly LCA bushing so it's snug against the K-frame.

I just cut 3/16" off the rear poly strut bushing to bring mine tight. Ran it that way from 1997 to 2011. Nothing wrong with them. Just got a prototype/promo Hotchkis setup.

The LCA poly bushings are the same ones from 1997. The guy at Hotchkis said they were still good and fit well. So he left them in.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: hemienvy] #3068304
08/15/22 09:45 PM
08/15/22 09:45 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by hemienvy
Side loading the LCA bushing, OK I see that.

Our cars have, unfortunately, not the greatest front suspension geometry. The fulcrum axis of the strut rod is not co-linear with the the torsion bar axis,
so the LCA bushing is going to be deformed anyway by the different arcs of movement of the LCA and the strut rod, moving up and down. Oh well.

I doubt by much as the factory boys weren't stupid and the failure rate of the bushings would have made it apparent. However that is providing the LCA and Strut remain in a fixed position to each other as designed. When one starts playing with the length of the strut that goes in the sh-tter wink Bubba's ideas are not always good for the distance and many times lead to other problems. One would have to geometrically lay it out to see exactly how much movement was at the pivot point in the factory design.
I strongly suspect the adjustable struts came into use as other mfr's did use the strut for adjustment BUT with a different LCA design and Bubba couldn't get his caster where he wanted so let's do what them people at Ford and GM did on SOME of their cars. Hey Leroy, go get a couple of cases of beer while I start hacking this idea out. Next thing one sees is they're being marketed as a solution. Remember Slick 50? MPG improvers, engine rebuild pellets for your oil burner? LOL Those and thousands of other products were all designed to get money form your pocket to theirs and some were quite successful LOL

As far as the urethane goes, had them in my 68 Charger for 30 years without an issue. Other cars as well twocentsshruggy beer

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: DAYCLONA] #3068330
08/15/22 10:41 PM
08/15/22 10:41 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Hmmm, if putting ‘grease’ on the bushing what keeps the LCA from coming off? Or at the very least moving back and forth? There’s a reason the pin is so hard to get out when replacing.

Torsion bar keeps the LCA in place....

The T-bar moves forward and back too, it doesn’t fit tight in the LCA

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: DAYCLONA] #3068344
08/15/22 11:25 PM
08/15/22 11:25 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
This is for '70 E-body, I got the Energy Suspension front bushing kit 5.3112g

Is this how it goes together in the picture, grease everything up and push it all together ? I'm not missing any washers or anything am I ?

The outer shell is in the LCA and the inner shell is on the spindle.

Your assy process is correct, however I recommend you purchase the front 2 pc strut rod poly package, the stock strut rod bushings in the K frame will splay the LCA's rearward when you start to mount everything up

Agreed... BTDT

RUBBER AND POLY PIECES CAN BE MIXED UP ANYWHERE BUT between those two mentioned as explained.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: hemienvy] #3068345
08/15/22 11:28 PM
08/15/22 11:28 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
DAYCLONA, I was leaning against doing those on the strut rod, but this is my first rodeo.

Are you saying the stock rubber bushings don't compress quite enough ?
I see that the OE setup does not appear to have any length adjustability.

It will compress too much. The poly bushings on LCA doesn't have the same friction than rubber, so LCA will be able to move in and out. The strut rod is not strong enough to absorb this move and will compres up to crack. BTDT

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: cudaman1969] #3068349
08/15/22 11:36 PM
08/15/22 11:36 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Hmmm, if putting ‘grease’ on the bushing what keeps the LCA from coming off? Or at the very least moving back and forth? There’s a reason the pin is so hard to get out when replacing.

You’re right, the T-bar is not a tight fit.

But it doesn’t move. Mark and measure them at the rear. No movement for and aft. There’s ~1/4” of distance between T-bar rear end and the wire C-clip if you install the T-bar pushed forward.

There’s a massive amount of pound per square inch on the hex edge contact points.

I’ve been off course on the track and couple times and never a movement. Once I bent a rallye rim center section and bottomed a shock. Another time almost rolled it and went into infield desert 200ft or so sideways.

All with poly LCA bushings. shruggy

Last edited by autoxcuda; 08/15/22 11:51 PM.
Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: autoxcuda] #3068393
08/16/22 08:57 AM
08/16/22 08:57 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by autoxcuda

You’re right, the T-bar is not a tight fit.

But it doesn’t move. Mark and measure them at the rear. No movement for and aft. There’s ~1/4” of distance between T-bar rear end and the wire C-clip if you install the T-bar pushed forward.

There’s a massive amount of pound per square inch on the hex edge contact points.

I’ve been off course on the track and couple times and never a movement. Once I bent a rallye rim center section and bottomed a shock. Another time almost rolled it and went into infield desert 200ft or so sideways.

All with poly LCA bushings. shruggy

Yes a lot of pressure on the bar, but it could move. What I said was the LCA moves on the bar, as you said 1/4” lateral play. With that being said the strut acts as a pivot between tire and bushing with friction of tire pushing back and bushing moving forward, hard reverse will move it back. IF a loose movable type bushing is used

Last edited by cudaman1969; 08/16/22 08:59 AM.
Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: TJP] #3068418
08/16/22 10:30 AM
08/16/22 10:30 AM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
I
Originally Posted by TJP

Our cars have, unfortunately, not the greatest front suspension geometry. The fulcrum axis of the strut rod is not co-linear with the the torsion bar axis,
so the LCA bushing is going to be deformed anyway by the different arcs of movement of the LCA and the strut rod, moving up and down. Oh well.

I doubt by much as the factory boys weren't stupid and the failure rate of the bushings would have made it apparent. However that is providing the LCA and Strut remain in a fixed position to each other as designed. When one starts playing with the length of the strut that goes in the sh-tter wink Bubba's ideas are not always good for the distance and many times lead to other problems. One would have to geometrically lay it out to see exactly how much movement was at the pivot point in the factory design.
I strongly suspect the adjustable struts came into use as other mfr's did use the strut for adjustment BUT with a different LCA design and Bubba couldn't get his caster where he wanted so let's do what them people at Ford and GM did on SOME of their cars. Hey Leroy, go get a couple of cases of beer while I start hacking this idea out. Next thing one sees is they're being marketed as a solution. Remember Slick 50? MPG improvers, engine rebuild pellets for your oil burner? LOL Those and thousands of other products were all designed to get money form your pocket to theirs and some were quite successful LOL

As far as the urethane goes, had them in my 68 Charger for 30 years without an issue. Other cars as well twocentsshruggy beer

Ya that is not quite the story on adjustable strut rods. They are designed to make up for the [censored], shoddy construction of the cars and especially the k-frames. What you do is put the car on a frame machine or alignment rack and square the frame, get the rear end in the car square, then get the left and right wheelbase the same. You would be amazed at how well these cars align after you do that. Ever measure a dozen mopar strut rods? They vary a lot. Anyway you can do this at home on a garage floor with plumb bobs, rear spring bracket shims, various strut rods and a little time. I set it axle center to lower ball joint center at ride height with just the lower arm in. Lower bushing style is not a big deal to me, but the urethane strut bushings will need that 3/16" removed from the back side to get the wheelbase right. If I remember right the moog improved strut bushings were also too thick. Adjustable struts are fantastic, your alignment guy can get it right real fast without bushing mods, restorations are a different animal, will need various strut rods or the ability to machine or shim them, but you can get it perfect. If you want a bunch of caster, and I would give it more
with radials, use the problem solver upper bushings or adjustable upper arms.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: 4406bbl] #3068443
08/16/22 11:28 AM
08/16/22 11:28 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 4406bbl
I
Originally Posted by TJP

Ya that is not quite the story on adjustable strut rods. They are designed to make up for the [censored], shoddy construction of the cars and especially the k-frames. What you do is put the car on a frame machine or alignment rack and square the frame, get the rear end in the car square, then get the left and right wheelbase the same. You would be amazed at how well these cars align after you do that. Ever measure a dozen mopar strut rods? They vary a lot. Anyway you can do this at home on a garage floor with plumb bobs, rear spring bracket shims, various strut rods and a little time. I set it axle center to lower ball joint center at ride height with just the lower arm in. Lower beerbushing style is not a big deal to me, but the urethane strut bushings will need that 3/16" removed from the back side to get the wheelbase right. If I remember right the moog improved strut bushings were also too thick. Adjustable struts are fantastic, your alignment guy can get it right real fast without bushing mods, restorations are a different animal, will need various strut rods or the ability to machine or shim them, but you can get it perfect. If you want a bunch of caster, and I would give it more with radials, use the problem solver upper bushings or adjustable upper arms.

l'll not disagree on the first part of your commentary as I have NO experience with what you say shruggy but will 100% agree with the bolded part up beer
To me the adjustable struts are comparable to cutting coil springs to lower a car. IT does lower the car BUT screws up suspension geometry, travel and ride quality in the process. So Bubba accomplishes his goal while being UHH? (be nice) on the effects.
If you have a sense of humor and the time, some other examples of his work can be found here BUBBA'S SHOP IDEAS AND FIXES
LOL And yes, I have a lot more examples beer LOL

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: TJP] #3068469
08/16/22 12:40 PM
08/16/22 12:40 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
I think you would change your mind on adjustable struts if you ever tried to get a car squared up, keep in mind 1/4" at the strut socket is more at the wheel, then if the other side is off the opposite way you end up 3/4-1" off on your wheel base. 1/2" is about 2 degrees so we are out of adjustment to start. Worst I have seen a mopar is 1-1/8" off side to side. Now add in strut bushings that are wrong and we wonder why these cars can drive so bad, and alignment guys hate working on them. Adjustable struts are a fantastic for mopars, just not to add caster we can all agree on that. Good alignment guys love it when the car has both I can tell you that. I figured this out 36 years ago when I redid the front end on the wife's Cuda with moog parts, drove worse than when it was stock, threw it on a frame machine and said OIC junk parts. I fix the wheelbase on every mopar I touch now that I know.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: 4406bbl] #3068546
08/16/22 03:31 PM
08/16/22 03:31 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
On the fixed radius of strut and LCA on an A-body k-frame I found the true pivot point to be on the forward side of the strut ‘hole’ (where the rubber biscuits go) so I made my heim joint bracket on that side, now both (strut and arm) swing in the same arc, not moving back and forth. I’ve also made the lower arm with a greasable bronze bushing with a bolt in the back to keep it ON the pin, But I’ve been called stupid and wrong so I’ll leave it at that.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: cudaman1969] #3068607
08/16/22 07:44 PM
08/16/22 07:44 PM
Washington
H
hemienvy Offline OP
super stock
hemienvy  Offline OP
super stock
H

Washington
Cudaman69, I sure would be interested in seeing a picture of your strut setup, if possible. Thank you !

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: hemienvy] #3068612
08/16/22 07:46 PM
08/16/22 07:46 PM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
I'm not a fan of the poly lower control arm bushings. I have installed them in the past, and would not use them again. I know plenty of people do, but i also do not like switching to the green axle bearings in an 8 3/4 either. The lower control arm bushings are not only a pivot, but they also fix the lower control arm in for and aft movement. I think Chrysler engineers got this right, and I would not change that on my own car.
My personal bushing recipe on my Mopars:

OEM style upper and lower control arm bushings.
Poly strut rod bushings
Poly sway bar and link bushings.

Do not tighten the upper control arm adjusters or lower control pivot nut until the car is set at correct ride height, and aligned, so the bushings are relaxed at rest. This helps them last.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: hemienvy] #3068637
08/16/22 08:57 PM
08/16/22 08:57 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Hope pics come out ok. Had vid of me working it up and down with one finger but can’t seem to find it

81E990B2-7635-4970-82C2-90B7AC3DFAC3.jpeg3DF6274D-7A7D-4F8C-9C5C-3A95A7D3C31F.jpeg
Last edited by cudaman1969; 08/16/22 08:58 PM.
Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: cudaman1969] #3068641
08/16/22 09:08 PM
08/16/22 09:08 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Found it but wouldn’t load. Started out with the QA1 piece but it would bind on full travel, this for a race car with tires off ground (hopefully)
street car wouldn’t need this setup (I would hope your street car don’t have tires in the air)

Last edited by cudaman1969; 08/16/22 09:12 PM.
Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: cudaman1969] #3068653
08/16/22 09:26 PM
08/16/22 09:26 PM
Washington
H
hemienvy Offline OP
super stock
hemienvy  Offline OP
super stock
H

Washington
Thanks Cudaman, that's quite the interesting idea !

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: 4406bbl] #3068753
08/17/22 08:23 AM
08/17/22 08:23 AM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Originally Posted by 4406bbl
I
Originally Posted by TJP

Ya that is not quite the story on adjustable strut rods. They are designed to make up for the [censored], shoddy construction of the cars and especially the k-frames. What you do is put the car on a frame machine or alignment rack and square the frame, get the rear end in the car square, then get the left and right wheelbase the same. You would be amazed at how well these cars align after you do that. Ever measure a dozen mopar strut rods? They vary a lot. Anyway you can do this at home on a garage floor with plumb bobs, rear spring bracket shims, various strut rods and a little time. I set it axle center to lower ball joint center at ride height with just the lower arm in. Lower bushing style is not a big deal to me, but the urethane strut bushings will need that 3/16" removed from the back side to get the wheelbase right. If I remember right the moog improved strut bushings were also too thick. Adjustable struts are fantastic, your alignment guy can get it right real fast without bushing mods, restorations are a different animal, will need various strut rods or the ability to machine or shim them, but you can get it perfect. If you want a bunch of caster, and I would give it more
with radials, use the problem solver upper bushings or adjustable upper arms.

This guy gets it. Another trick is cutting down the steel strut rod bushing. They are usually too long and get crushed on one end when the steel bushing binds up.

On the subject of poly bushings I see two aspects not discussed.

First is that oil and poly bushings do not mix. If you have a long standing engine oil leak it will kill the LCA bushings. Most of the cars I have seen with short poly bushing life were leakers. Do not use petroleum products on poly bushings. Summit and others sell a high viscosity silicone grease that is packed in a tube for your grease gun.

I have had issues with aftermarket greasable LCA pins (QA1, Proforged, etc.) not registering correctly in the stock k frame. The profile of the aftermarket pins is different than the stock pieces. I end up cutting the profile back to 1.150" from the threaded end and tilt the cutter to give a .100 chamfer for a total of 1.250". I informed QA1 of this issue in 2013.

That said, I think the poly bushings finally became viable on a street/low maintenance car when the greasable LCA pivots and UCA's with grease fittings on the bushing housing bore. Prior to that you had to r&r the LCA bushing if they started to squeak. Not the end of the world if you have the means, yet very annoying as a maintenance item.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: Jeremiah] #3068809
08/17/22 10:32 AM
08/17/22 10:32 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Jeremiah
On the subject of poly bushings I see two aspects not discussed.

First is that oil and poly bushings do not mix. Summit and others sell a high viscosity silicone grease that is packed in a tube for your grease gun.

This was contrary to what I knew of polyurethane bushings confused A bit of research shows that depending on the materials used when making the the raw material some are in fact susceptible to petroleum products while others are resistant. I would expect that a REPUTABLE supplier would be sourcing the latter. There is more info in the following link and comments wink beer
LINKY

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: TJP] #3068873
08/17/22 01:36 PM
08/17/22 01:36 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I'm wondering how many ppl actually use their cars as a drivers to really test all the parts. Anybody can say "I have a poly assembly since 20 years now and I haven't had any problem"... but, how many miles?

In my experience, is just about match correctly the parts to guarantee the effectiveness on the assembly.

Re: Lower control arm bushing [Re: NachoRT74] #3068877
08/17/22 02:00 PM
08/17/22 02:00 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Originally Posted by NachoRT74
I'm wondering how many ppl actually use their cars as a drivers to really test all the parts. Anybody can say "I have a poly assembly since 20 years now and I haven't had any problem"... but, how many miles?

In my experience, is just about match correctly the parts to guarantee the effectiveness on the assembly.

This is it exactly, they putt-putt around to car shows. I hate urethane and poly end link bushings, always deformed and wiped out, and will be switching the front and rear bar to the Ford expedition style ball joint end links. I figure it will break the rear spring sway bar plates but I will gusset them. Stock lower bushings and moog problem solver uppers have served me well. End link bushings not so much.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3