S.W. Pennsylvania
M
markrr Offline OP
super stock
markrr  Offline OP
super stock
M

S.W. Pennsylvania
Why did Chrysler reduce the voltage from 12 to 5 volts supplying the gauges in a 69 Plymouth? And, why does the 5 volts "pulse" and not stay steady when it's measured?

Last edited by markrr; 08/09/22 12:45 AM.
Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: markrr] #3066435
08/09/22 04:59 AM
08/09/22 04:59 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Not just Mopars but also Fords

Back in the days even the transistors were already invented transistorized systems weren't a standard electronic supply to make anything and were part of bigger setups ( valves were still somehow standard ). The alternator regulator was also a points system

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: markrr] #3066535
08/09/22 01:08 PM
08/09/22 01:08 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Pulsing the voltage to those two instruments makes sure they don't overheat is what I was told years ago at one of the old Mopar drag race seminars: up:

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 08/09/22 01:09 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3066543
08/09/22 01:46 PM
08/09/22 01:46 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
The instrument voltage regulator is nothing more than a bimetallic strip that makes and breaks the connection between the 12v source and the gauges. It supplies an average 5v (approximately) to the gauges. That is what heats up and cools off, nothing to do with the gauges heating up.

Why did they use that? It's cheap, it works and it is sufficient unto the day. Nothing more. I am sure it was developed in the 50's when they converted to 12v and your other option was a vacuum tube, not optimal at all. remember transistors were barely 10 years from having been invented. By providing the gauges with a run voltage less than 12v you can eliminate the effect of the charging system voltage fluctuations on the gauge readings.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Sniper] #3066553
08/09/22 02:16 PM
08/09/22 02:16 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by Sniper
The instrument voltage regulator is nothing more than a bimetallic strip that makes and breaks the connection between the 12v source and the gauges. It supplies an average 5v (approximately) to the gauges. That is what heats up and cools off, nothing to do with the gauges heating up.

Why did they use that? It's cheap, it works and it is sufficient unto the day. Nothing more. I am sure it was developed in the 50's when they converted to 12v and your other option was a vacuum tube, not optimal at all. remember transistors were barely 10 years from having been invented. By providing the gauges with a run voltage less than 12v you can eliminate the effect of the charging system voltage fluctuations on the gauge readings.

Mid 30s saw the advent of voltage regulators. As cars started adding electrical features, there was a need to be able to supply those loads and maintain a battery. Though the transistor was invented in 1947, it would be 20 years later before the solid state voltage regulator would be invented. Given the newness of the technology, I am sure it was much higher costs than the analog regulators used at the time.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: RoadRunner] #3066559
08/09/22 02:28 PM
08/09/22 02:28 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by RoadRunner

Mid 30s saw the advent of voltage regulators. As cars started adding electrical features, there was a need to be able to supply those loads and maintain a battery. Though the transistor was invented in 1947, it would be 20 years later before the solid state voltage regulator would be invented. Given the newness of the technology, I am sure it was much higher costs than the analog regulators used at the time.

We are not talking about the generator or alternator regulator. We are talking about the instrument voltage regulator. In the 30-40-50's the gauges were mechanical, except for the ammeter so there was no need for an IVR.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Sniper] #3066656
08/09/22 08:11 PM
08/09/22 08:11 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

If it sticks closed those gauges will peg and eventually destroy their selves from the heated overload.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: NITROUSN] #3066742
08/10/22 08:22 AM
08/10/22 08:22 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by NITROUSN

If it sticks closed those gauges will peg and eventually destroy their selves from the heated overload.

That's a failure mode, not how it normally operates. There are electronic equivalents these days, if that is a worry for you.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/ivr607.html

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Sniper] #3066757
08/10/22 09:44 AM
08/10/22 09:44 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

That's a failure mode, not how it normally operates. There are electronic equivalents these days, if that is a worry for you.

Point is when they fail the gauge pegs and burns out from overheating. And the solid state electronic can fail also.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: NITROUSN] #3066778
08/10/22 10:34 AM
08/10/22 10:34 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

Point is when they fail the gauge pegs and burns out from overheating. And the solid state electronic can fail also.

Point is irrelevant. The discussion what about how they work, not how they fail, everything fails.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Sniper] #3066800
08/10/22 12:55 PM
08/10/22 12:55 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
just an observation, A few are debating the reliability of 50+ year old part. I would say the item was well designed and did it's job
most things will fail eventually. The usage, design and components usually dictate when beer twocents

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Sniper] #3066816
08/10/22 01:38 PM
08/10/22 01:38 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Point is irrelevant. The discussion what about how they work

Irrelevant to you obviously. Might have some value to others that want to understand more.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: NITROUSN] #3066905
08/10/22 08:12 PM
08/10/22 08:12 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont

I'm pretty sure when a solid state device fails, it fails open.

Kevin

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Twostick] #3066946
08/10/22 10:20 PM
08/10/22 10:20 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Twostick

I'm pretty sure when a solid state device fails, it fails open.

Kevin

No Sir, they too can fail either way wink beer

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: TJP] #3066953
08/10/22 10:43 PM
08/10/22 10:43 PM
Morristown Tn.
71birdJ68 Offline
master
71birdJ68  Offline
master

Morristown Tn.
The electronic one made by RT engineering is designed that if it fails won't hurt the gauge.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: 71birdJ68] #3066958
08/10/22 11:35 PM
08/10/22 11:35 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
It works that way because it was cheap and it works. Chrysler gauges also use a bi-metallic movement so response is relatively slow. Unlike GM cars of the era turning corners did not cause the gas gauge to fluctuate wildly.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: NITROUSN] #3071290
08/25/22 08:36 AM
08/25/22 08:36 AM
Ontario Canada
B
Bennoel 10 Offline
Bennoel 10  Offline
B

Ontario Canada

Wondering if this might be my issue ??
I have a 71 Duster with the factory rally dash. The issue I have is two fold.... first the dash lights are very dim but the radio lights up good. Tried a new headlight switch thinking that might be the problem. Recently the oil pressure gauge reads high all the time. Starts out okay, especially at idle but after a while and the engine is at normal temperature it reads high. Needle is reading at the very extreme high point. Also the temperature gauge is reading higher than usual but not to the point that it's dangerous. Sometimes I think the Alt guage is off but it seems to be acting properly. Gas gauge always seems to go down quickly especially at these prices. LOL. Fuel gauge seems okay. Just wondering if the volt meter that your talking about is also what is giving me grief ?? It's never been replaced by me in the 25 or so years I have owned the car. Thanks for any help.
Bennoel

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Bennoel 10] #3071359
08/25/22 12:53 PM
08/25/22 12:53 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Bennoel 10

I have a 71 Duster with the factory rally dash. The issue I have is two fold.... first the dash lights are very dim but the radio lights up good. Tried a new headlight switch thinking that might be the problem. Recently the oil pressure gauge reads high all the time. Starts out okay, especially at idle but after a while and the engine is at normal temperature it reads high. Needle is reading at the very extreme high point. Also the temperature gauge is reading higher than usual but not to the point that it's dangerous. Sometimes I think the Alt guage is off but it seems to be acting properly. Gas gauge always seems to go down quickly especially at these prices. LOL. Fuel gauge seems okay. Just wondering if the volt meter that your talking about is also what is giving me grief ?? It's never been replaced by me in the 25 or so years I have owned the car. Thanks for any help.
Bennoel

I suspect the ground to instrument panel is your culprit. I would start by verifying all connections and mounting screws on the circuit board(s) /film are tight. I am not overly familiar with this particular cluster but a quick look at the circuit films appear as though it gets grounding from multiple attachment points on the circuit film. Make sure the cluster itself is well grounded as well.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: Bennoel 10] #3071360
08/25/22 12:54 PM
08/25/22 12:54 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Amp gauge isn't in the limiter circuit. As far as the dash lights try new brighter bulbs.

Re: '69 Dash voltage limiter ?? [Re: TJP] #3071383
08/25/22 02:29 PM
08/25/22 02:29 PM
Ontario Canada
B
Bennoel 10 Offline
Bennoel 10  Offline
B

Ontario Canada
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Bennoel 10

Bennoel

I suspect the ground to instrument panel is your culprit. I would start by verifying all connections and mounting screws on the circuit board(s) /film are tight. I am not overly familiar with this particular cluster but a quick look at the circuit films appear as though it gets grounding from multiple attachment points on the circuit film. Make sure the cluster itself is well grounded as well.

I was told that it might be the printed circuit board and I got one to replace the original one. I'm gonna take the whole speedo cluster out to install a factory dash tach and at this point I would like to rectify all the issues as it's not what I call an easy job. Getting hard to work upside down and in tight quarters. Might just replace the volt limiter and be done with it.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2