Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
I had a consultant help me out with some updates on my website. She recommended adding links to my YouTube channel and making it easy for people to watch the YouTube videos that I already have. So we made those changes and now I'm going to start shooting more videos and I'm going to start shooting higher quality videos. I need to learn how to do some video editing and I need to invest in a couple of video cameras so I can shoot dyno sessions. Probably take me a few months to figure it all out but the goal is to shoot a video of every interesting dyno tune session. We do about 10 of those a year so I'm hoping we'll be able to post that many cool videos a year.

https://arengineering.com/

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3061710
07/22/22 08:40 PM
07/22/22 08:40 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Sounds great. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: Kern Dog] #3061711
07/22/22 08:49 PM
07/22/22 08:49 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
Sounds like a good plan, Andy - the videos should increase your exposure and help sales.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3061735
07/22/22 10:29 PM
07/22/22 10:29 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I look forward to the videos.

Avoid the trap I fall in to. Don't lose your personality and become a lecturing professor. I have to reshpot so many bits because I went instructional.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: feets] #3061756
07/23/22 02:40 AM
07/23/22 02:40 AM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by feets
I look forward to the videos.

Avoid the trap I fall in to. Don't lose your personality and become a lecturing professor. I have to reshpot so many bits because I went instructional.

Studies show most people are on youtube to learn, so thats not a bad thing.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3061776
07/23/22 08:27 AM
07/23/22 08:27 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
It takes hours and hours to create instructional videos that satisfy you.

Be aware of this, and

“Don’t let the Perfect become the Enemy of the Good”

Take a little time and watch at least a few of Milton Friedman”s now very old instructional videos

Free to Choose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dngqR9gcDDw&list=PLTplBPPoWdX2dsFq7tcFw9xPNqn8JMp9k

They are certainly not about dynos and engines,
but they are “near genius” in simplicity and presentation.

Watch a few Khan Academy school lesson videos.

What you intend to do is very admirable.
When you find the going tough think of all the people who helped you.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: 360view] #3061820
07/23/22 12:05 PM
07/23/22 12:05 PM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
And how many videos on youtube have bad music blaring over the content? If i want to watch a dyno run i don't need to hear music over it. And as others said don't need to hear useless blabbering either. Just my $.02

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: Moparite] #3061829
07/23/22 12:23 PM
07/23/22 12:23 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Moparite
And how many videos on youtube have bad music blaring over the content? If i want to watch a dyno run i don't need to hear music over it. And as others said don't need to hear useless blabbering either. Just my $.02

Agreed, about the only guy doing music over testing and does it right is Project Farm

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: Sniper] #3061903
07/23/22 05:19 PM
07/23/22 05:19 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
What program are you planning to use or looking to acquire.

Similar situation for our club website. Would only be making 12 or so videos a year. Maybe more if the editing is easy and couldnfackage them it’s 2 minute clips.

I worked for a small company and the owner was a professional photographer. And really intelligent savvy guy. In 2015 he had 2 or 3 Go Pro cameras. I ?think? he could sync them. That way he’d get different camera angles. I think multi-Camera helps the production quality.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: Moparite] #3061913
07/23/22 06:38 PM
07/23/22 06:38 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Moparite

Agreed. Music intros and droning on about personal life issues off the topic of the video are annoying a.f. I usually start at the 2 min mark and keep skipping until the blathering ends.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: autoxcuda] #3061914
07/23/22 06:40 PM
07/23/22 06:40 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
I'm not sure on editing software. I'm going to hire a pro rather than try to figure it all out myself. I hired a pro to teach me how to shoot photos. Only took a few lessons and I knew what I needed to shoot all the photos for my two books so I figure this might be like that. I just need a few pointers to clean up my videos and make them crisper and more informative. I'm not interested in shooting Engine Master type stuff where they sit around and talk about the dyno session. I just want to shoot the action shots, provide some specifics on the engine parts and show the power curve numbers. I"m primarily interested in showing people real results from real customer engines. We build and test a lot of 600 hp big block Mopar engines. The ones that go in the magazines make 700 hp but cost twice as much. The average guy is going to live with a 550 or 600 hp engine for $10,000 rather than pay $25,000 for the 700 hp version with the custom cam, hand ported intake, pro built carb, etc.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3061916
07/23/22 06:52 PM
07/23/22 06:52 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted by AndyF
I'm not sure on editing software. I'm going to hire a pro rather than try to figure it all out myself. I hired a pro to teach me how to shoot photos. Only took a few lessons and I knew what I needed to shoot all the photos for my two books so I figure this might be like that. I just need a few pointers to clean up my videos and make them crisper and more informative. I'm not interested in shooting Engine Master type stuff where they sit around and talk about the dyno session. I just want to shoot the action shots, provide some specifics on the engine parts and show the power curve numbers. I"m primarily interested in showing people real results from real customer engines. We build and test a lot of 600 hp big block Mopar engines. The ones that go in the magazines make 700 hp but cost twice as much. The average guy is going to live with a 550 or 600 hp engine for $10,000 rather than pay $25,000 for the 700 hp version with the custom cam, hand ported intake, pro built carb, etc.

So you are hiring a pro to teach you and suggest what to buy?

Or just pay him to do all the videos.

Thats a cool approach. I bet the hands on 1 on 1 instruction gets you to a level much quicker that thumbing around the internet getting bits of good and bad canned generic instruction. Do you feel you’re also getting “mini consulting” sessions. By someone understanding your objectives and fitting the instruction and tools specifically to you?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/24/22 01:53 AM.
Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: autoxcuda] #3061935
07/23/22 08:10 PM
07/23/22 08:10 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by autoxcuda

So you are hiring a pro to teach you and suggest what to buy?

Or just pay him to do all the videos.

Thats a cool approach. I bet the hands on 1 on 1 instruction gets you to a level much quicker that thumbing around the internet getting bits of good and bad canned generic instruction. Do you feel you’re also getting “mini consulting” sessions. By someone understanding your objection and fitting the instruction and tools specifically to you?

Yes, that was how it worked with the photog. He did a few one on one sessions with me and then I was ready to go. Same with the guy who built my website. We had a few face to face meetings and the got me up to speed on how it works. I tend to hire pros to help me do lots of things these days. I just tell them up front that I want them to show me how to do it while it is getting done. Most are okay with that, some aren't. Not a big deal, I just move on to the next one.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3062235
07/24/22 10:51 PM
07/24/22 10:51 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

New site looks nice. I poked around looking for the 451 Manifesto, and couldn't find it. Blast from the past I know...but it's good info. up

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: JDMopar] #3062265
07/25/22 12:49 AM
07/25/22 12:49 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by JDMopar
New site looks nice. I poked around looking for the 451 Manifesto, and couldn't find it. Blast from the past I know...but it's good info. up

I nuked that document in the last update since it was so old it had become embarrassing. I also didn't think it was good information anymore. It was kind of cool as a historical document, but I had people continuing to ask me about cutting down 440 cranks to build a 451 and they seemed pissed when I told them that it didn't make sense to do that anymore.

The manifesto was written before stroker cranks were available for big block Mopar engines. Once everyone was able to buy a new forged stroker crank it didn't make sense to hunt around in bone yards looking for a forged core out of an Imperial or whatever. But I had guys who had been stashing parts for 20 years hoping to finally build a 451 that were mad at me when I told them to just call up Molnar or 440Source to buy a crank.

I tried to put the manifesto to rest in the Big Block Mopar book but now even that book is getting a little dated. The book was done before Trick Flow heads and they changed the game again on us. BB Mopar stroker engines are super easy to build these days and there are only a few big gotchas hanging out there. The rear main seal problem is huge with no good fix in sight. Camshaft core quality and lifter quality are both suspect now with no good solution in sight. Other than that life is pretty good. 600 hp is easy, 700 hp is within reach for anyone willing to spend a little more money. With EFI you can daily drive a 600 hp big block. That really wasn't possible 30 years ago when the manifesto was written.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: JDMopar] #3062361
07/25/22 11:16 AM
07/25/22 11:16 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Copy or print it while it's still around.

http://arengineering.com/tech/451-manifesto/#:~:text=The%20451%20is%20arguably%20the,has%20almost%20perfect%20design%20parameters.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3062721
07/26/22 12:27 PM
07/26/22 12:27 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan

I used to do paying video work for a few years and got out of it because of the sheer amount of time it took to put out polished work. Ended up getting into sports photography and found that to be far more lucrative. Anyways, when I was doing I used the Adobe CS Suite of software. Photoshop, After Effects and Premier covered all the bases, but now I doubt you even need that much. Everything anymore is so over produced that what is getting eyeballs is the stripped down, no BS videos that respect the viewers time. No flashy intros, drawn out engine startups on the dyno, or pretentious boomer Dad jokes.

A good channel to look at for examples of this is: I Do Cars

The channel is just a salvage shop owner doing post mortem tear downs on core motors. Simple, stupid. Guy shot up over 100k subs in under a year. Updates once a week,

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: MarkZ] #3062785
07/26/22 04:15 PM
07/26/22 04:15 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
I agree. My stuff right now is too crude to be called stripped down but I think that is where I want to end up. I'm only interested in delivering content and most of the time I won't be trying to sell anything. The majority of the videos will be of customer engines that we dyno. It will primarily be a stash of results that over time will allow viewers to see what makes what. Once we get more than a dozen or so dyno videos posted a viewer can figure out what makes power and what doesn't.

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3062843
07/26/22 08:08 PM
07/26/22 08:08 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I agree. My stuff right now is too crude to be called stripped down but I think that is where I want to end up. I'm only interested in delivering content and most of the time I won't be trying to sell anything. The majority of the videos will be of customer engines that we dyno. It will primarily be a stash of results that over time will allow viewers to see what makes what. Once we get more than a dozen or so dyno videos posted a viewer can figure out what makes power and what doesn't.

Have you got to the point on deciding what video software to use? Or have some ideas of what you are focusing at.

MarkZ, do you have any suggestion of video editing software/programs to use for video like the "I Do Cars" makes?

Re: Website update - AR Engineering [Re: AndyF] #3064041
07/31/22 11:28 AM
07/31/22 11:28 AM
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Originally Posted by JDMopar

I nuked that document in the last update since it was so old it had become embarrassing. I also didn't think it was good information anymore. It was kind of cool as a historical document, but I had people continuing to ask me about cutting down 440 cranks to build a 451 and they seemed pissed when I told them that it didn't make sense to do that anymore.

The manifesto was written before stroker cranks were available for big block Mopar engines. Once everyone was able to buy a new forged stroker crank it didn't make sense to hunt around in bone yards looking for a forged core out of an Imperial or whatever. But I had guys who had been stashing parts for 20 years hoping to finally build a 451 that were mad at me when I told them to just call up Molnar or 440Source to buy a crank.

I tried to put the manifesto to rest in the Big Block Mopar book but now even that book is getting a little dated. The book was done before Trick Flow heads and they changed the game again on us. BB Mopar stroker engines are super easy to build these days and there are only a few big gotchas hanging out there. The rear main seal problem is huge with no good fix in sight. Camshaft core quality and lifter quality are both suspect now with no good solution in sight. Other than that life is pretty good. 600 hp is easy, 700 hp is within reach for anyone willing to spend a little more money. With EFI you can daily drive a 600 hp big block. That really wasn't possible 30 years ago when the manifesto was written.

Thanks Andy. I do totally agree with you that is so much easier and better nowadays to just buy a new crank. More than likely, it's more cost effective also. I mainly wanted to save it for the man who does my machine work. He is 80 years old and loves to learn ways to do DIY stuff like cutting down cranks to make strokers that he is not as familiar with. He's long been a builder of mostly Chevy engines for NASCAR, CASCAR, ARCA and others. He still works full time in his shop because he wants to, not has to, and is very successful. I have long since saved The 451 Manifesto as @Zippy suggested and plan to print it off and give it to Ben to file. He is on the same page as we are in saying just buy a new crank, but will enjoy the info from a master machinist/engine builder point of view. up

Page 1 of 2 1 2