Print Thread
Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off #3060166
07/18/22 11:58 AM
07/18/22 11:58 AM
Minnesota
R3 Racing Offline OP
R3 Racing  Offline OP

Minnesota
Racing this past weekend, my son was making a pass in our new dragster. Just prior to the finish line, he heard a noise and suddenly lost oil pressure. He banged the Cockpit Power Off and coasted to a stop. There was oil everywhere primarily contained by the diaper. Back in the pits we started the investigation. Upon dropping the diaper we were pleased to see no windows in the block. All of the oil lines were intact however, down in the diaper was the oil bypass valve shuttle, spring, washer, and retention cap. Apparently, the cap came off and the oil pump spit out the valve shuttle and spring. I have been racing for over fifty years and have never experienced this. This is a new engine and one can only speculate that the cap was just not tight from the engine assembly. We cleaned up the mess, checked for any other broken parts (rockers, valve springs, etc.) and reassembled the bypass valve. Fired up the motor and everything was working. Couple of conclusions, without the diaper the parts would have disappeared somewhere down track and lost forever. The diaper caught most of the oil and elimated a major track cleanup. Without the Cockpit power disconnect we may have lost the engine. Check out Greg's thread on in car power disconnects. In my mind, they are mandatory and this experience proves it. If you are racing without a diaper, reconsider that decision.

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: R3 Racing] #3060172
07/18/22 12:07 PM
07/18/22 12:07 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted by R3 Racing
Racing this past weekend, my son was making a pass in our new dragster. Just prior to the finish line, he heard a noise and suddenly lost oil pressure. He banged the Cockpit Power Off and coasted to a stop. There was oil everywhere primarily contained by the diaper. Back in the pits we started the investigation. Upon dropping the diaper we were pleased to see no windows in the block. All of the oil lines were intact however, down in the diaper was the oil bypass valve shuttle, spring, washer, and retention cap. Apparently, the cap came off and the oil pump spit out the valve shuttle and spring. I have been racing for over fifty years and have never experienced this. This is a new engine and one can only speculate that the cap was just not tight from the engine assembly. We cleaned up the mess, checked for any other broken parts (rockers, valve springs, etc.) and reassembled the bypass valve. Fired up the motor and everything was working. Couple of conclusions, without the diaper the parts would have disappeared somewhere down track and lost forever. The diaper caught most of the oil and elimated a major track cleanup. Without the Cockpit power disconnect we may have lost the engine. Check out Greg's thread on in car power disconnects. In my mind, they are mandatory and this experience proves it. If you are racing without a diaper, reconsider that decision.

One of the best things I added to my car when I built it, is the battery shut off, that is easily used when strapped in. A diaper should be on almost every single car going down the track IMO.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: R3 Racing] #3060175
07/18/22 12:08 PM
07/18/22 12:08 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
We had the exact same thing happen in the 64 last fall. Not a drop of oil on the track but the diaper was fairly full. Didnt do any damage to engine either as saw the pressure drop and shut the engine off..Could see the issue due to the diaper covering the pump. Pulled distributor and the issue was very apparent. Put in a new relief valve and nut and kept racing. FWIW in our case it was an Indy pump, we put in an adjustable Milodon relieve valve back in.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: JERICOGTX] #3060182
07/18/22 12:12 PM
07/18/22 12:12 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by R3 Racing

One of the best things I added to my car when I built it, is the battery shut off, that is easily used when strapped in. A diaper should be on almost every single car going down the track IMO.

I'd run one if it was possible to fit one with under chassis headers. If it ever runs 9s I guess I will figure it out. I think even the SSAH guys get a pass on running them.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: JERICOGTX] #3060185
07/18/22 12:13 PM
07/18/22 12:13 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Agreed. Last year I had 2 incidents. I missed a possible problem with the new throttle set-up . It stuck at the end of the track. Easily hit the kill lever. Then when it broke a rod it had a diaper. The track guy said "It must not be too bad. There is no oil down". Well the rod was sticking out of the bottom of the pan. This stuff is there for a reason.
Doug

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: dvw] #3060196
07/18/22 12:23 PM
07/18/22 12:23 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Stock and Super Stock do not have to run diapers, no matter the ET. They complain about how hard it is to fit one. If we an get one on a 62-65B body with a BB and large headers they can easy get one on their junk. Hell I had one on a 6 Barracuda with a 99 Hemi and huge headers.

IMO every track should make it a required tech item for any modified car from stock period!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: dvw] #3060198
07/18/22 12:25 PM
07/18/22 12:25 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Wow - really glad nothing worse happened.

Is this the Indy SR motor?

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: markz528] #3060213
07/18/22 12:45 PM
07/18/22 12:45 PM
Minnesota
R3 Racing Offline OP
R3 Racing  Offline OP

Minnesota
This is the new Keith Black motor with your old SR's on it.

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: R3 Racing] #3060234
07/18/22 01:44 PM
07/18/22 01:44 PM
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline
top fuel

Keymar, MD
To me if it's a dedicated race car there's no reason not to have one. You can get a custom one made by Russler for $201 shipped. After I broke an engine going thru the 1/4 traps it changed how I view things. I was able to savage the intake, carb, timing chain cover and valve covers. Doesn't matter how fast you go when crap breaks at 6,000 RPM it makes a mess. After that engine broke I bought a diaper for my car and built a pan for my wife's car since hers is a Ford and the oil pan goes on either side of the crossmember so would have to pull the engine to install and remove. Some say they may not catch everything every time, but for $200 I like the extra security.

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: DusterKid] #3060484
07/19/22 09:08 AM
07/19/22 09:08 AM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted by DusterKid
To me if it's a dedicated race car there's no reason not to have one. You can get a custom one made by Russler for $201 shipped.

Exactly. A friend of mine has a 64 Dodge with a stock front end, HEMI with big tube headers, and a drag link running through the pan. He has one of Russlers diapers on the car. ZERO reason a SS/AH car can't have one... Why wouldn't you want to have that $200 insurance, to save the car, or yourself?

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: JERICOGTX] #3060493
07/19/22 10:01 AM
07/19/22 10:01 AM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
I also understand the diaper is excellent for mitigating that seeping rear main seal. After my last close call (split cylinder) I am strongly considering getting one for my GTS. 6 quarts of Chevron 10-40 under those 235's at speed would be a hell of a ride!

As far as power off in the cockpit...I can see instances where powering the entire electrical system down is important/necessary. Otherwise shouldn't the ignition key/switch/etc. turn off the fuel pump and deenergize anything required for the car to run? I always saw the master power switch being used in a wreck.

It would not be a difficult installation as most people I know run the cable inside the car.

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: Jeremiah] #3060497
07/19/22 10:22 AM
07/19/22 10:22 AM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Otherwise shouldn't the ignition key/switch/etc. turn off the fuel pump and deenergize anything required for the car to run? I always saw the master power switch being used in a wreck.

Most dedicated race cars don't use a key switch.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: JERICOGTX] #3060521
07/19/22 11:27 AM
07/19/22 11:27 AM
Addison,IL
OUTLAWSSAA Offline
super stock
OUTLAWSSAA  Offline
super stock

Addison,IL
To me if it's a dedicated race car there's no reason not to have one. You can get a custom one made by Russler for $201 shipped.

Exactly. A friend of mine has a 64 Dodge with a stock front end, HEMI with big tube headers, and a drag link running through the pan. He has one of Russlers diapers on the car. ZERO reason a SS/AH car can't have one... Why wouldn't you want to have that $200 insurance, to save the car, or yourself?

Let me just say this. There's a big difference between putting a diaper on a Hemi B body and a Hemi A body. That's one of the many reasons why I got rid of my car. On certain cars its just not feasible.

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: OUTLAWSSAA] #3060562
07/19/22 01:06 PM
07/19/22 01:06 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
I could see that resulting in a lot of melted nylon. I loved that car! Sorry you let it go but I totally understand.

Jeff Ii didn't consider that folks typically wire each function (ign/start/water pump/fuel pump/fan) to it's own switch. In that case it makes sense to have a master kill. My cars are usually dual purpose therefore all functions are based on ing on/ign off and the reat is activated by sensors. One more thing for the project list on blackie!

Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: OUTLAWSSAA] #3060568
07/19/22 01:24 PM
07/19/22 01:24 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted by OUTLAWSSAA

Let me just say this. There's a big difference between putting a diaper on a Hemi B body and a Hemi A body. That's one of the many reasons why I got rid of my car. On certain cars its just not feasible.

Then a belly pan could be fabbed up.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Case for a Diaper and Cockpit Power Off [Re: JERICOGTX] #3060624
07/19/22 04:43 PM
07/19/22 04:43 PM
Addison,IL
OUTLAWSSAA Offline
super stock
OUTLAWSSAA  Offline
super stock

Addison,IL

[/quote]

Then a belly pan could be fabbed up. [/quote]

No chance on the belly pan.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]