S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by not_a_charger

It is true, whether you think so or not. You're assuming that they didn't just screw up and fail to update your underwriting info, which is what really happened.

All of that is automated, there was no fail to update. Nobody gave a damn to set the automation up to do that which is why it didn't happen. Then when someone sorts out what happened they can do an "oops, let me take care of you" moment and play it off as if they are taking care of you. Meanwhile they get added gravy on their biscuit from those that don't pay attention. You ever see those "you could save" insurance commercials? How do you figure those insurers think they can save you money? By finding things like this in your old policy.

If they really gave a damn about keeping customers they would have set up the software to automatically update the age of the new roof, recalculate the premium and shoot an automated email to the customer telling them what they did and how much they saved them. That is looking out for your customer and building their loyalty.

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: TJP] #3057954
07/10/22 12:04 PM
07/10/22 12:04 PM
CO
R
Redbird Offline
super stock
Redbird  Offline
super stock
R

CO
For everyone who secretly thinks they were so smart to have bought before the current rise in housing prices or passively-aggressively finding ways to insert these thoughts into casual conversations with others, there are downsides too.

There are going to be serious rises in home insurance rates. Home taxes will go up. A myriad of costs like having a plumber come over will rise too.

Yes, a number of people are wildly more asset rich. But it will cost them more to stay that way.

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3057973
07/10/22 01:12 PM
07/10/22 01:12 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Do you really think insurers want to lose good existing customers by keeping rates artificially high? Because that's what would happen if they did. It costs a lot more $$ to acquire a good new customer than to keep a good existing customer. They want you to stay. Insurers want those costs associated with acquiring new customers to drive growth, not to replace customers they've lost.
beer
I'm not one to disagree with you as you likely know more than I about the insurance game. I have been with this company 28 years. 24 with the same agent. Unfortunately he retired and have been through 4 agents since. They just don't seem to care> Everything goes through his secretary and I rarely actually get to talk with him. Same with the previous 3.
We have had very few claims on anything over the years including workmen's comp and business ins. my 1st agent was always there and generally in the office. The new breed act as though it's secondary income or a part time job mad
I have been told That agents make more money off new customers than old and that is why they are basically ignoring me. Again I'm not questioning your knowledge in any way but am getting d-mn tired of taking it up the backisde. One would think that after 28 years with few claims that it would count for SOMETHING. My annual premiums are in the thousands combined and have been in spite of dropping coverages, no longer having employees and scaling the business way back.
If you have any input, I'm all ears

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: TJP] #3057978
07/10/22 01:29 PM
07/10/22 01:29 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad

The insurance company determines your rate, not the agent. And the insurance company makes more money by retaining a good customer than acquiring a new customer. You need a new agency.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: Sniper] #3057981
07/10/22 01:38 PM
07/10/22 01:38 PM
not_a_charger Online mad

Originally Posted by Sniper

It is true, whether you think so or not. You're assuming that they didn't just screw up and fail to update your underwriting info, which is what really happened.

All of that is automated, there was no fail to update. Nobody gave a damn to set the automation up to do that which is why it didn't happen. Then when someone sorts out what happened they can do an "oops, let me take care of you" moment and play it off as if they are taking care of you. Meanwhile they get added gravy on their biscuit from those that don't pay attention. You ever see those "you could save" insurance commercials? How do you figure those insurers think they can save you money? By finding things like this in your old policy.

If they really gave a damn about keeping customers they would have set up the software to automatically update the age of the new roof, recalculate the premium and shoot an automated email to the customer telling them what they did and how much they saved them. That is looking out for your customer and building their loyalty.

So, we agree that someone at the insurance company screwed up. It sucks that you found it and pointed it out, rather than them finding it on their own and fixing it for you. When I’ve been involved in something we screwed up, I will run through a wall in order to fix it.

You are right that when you shop for insurance that other carriers are looking for things that your current carrier may have missed, but they are also looking for things your current carrier doesn’t offer, and they are also hoping that their underwriting guidelines in general will generate a better rate for you.

I’ve been in the industry for 34 years, 27 of them full time. Number of meetings, email, or discussions about artificially raising a rate? Zero. Number of meetings, emails, and discussions about the importance of customer retention? Too many to count. I’ve also never once been told to ignore a mistake, or been prevented from fixing one.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: topside] #3057994
07/10/22 02:30 PM
07/10/22 02:30 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by topside
Had a tax assessment lately ?
We've had a huge increase in home values here due to blue-state flight, and the County Assessor has made sure the County grabs the money via property taxes.
Every other cost (construction materials, too), as we know, is WAY up as well.
Could be the insurer is either covering their butts, or simply profiteering.
I haven't had a premium increase yet, but one wouldn't surprise me.

I was just gonna say the same. We JUST closed on the sale of the house we lived in for 22 years. Taxes were always around $6-7000 (up and down with the economy and value of the house). After 22 years we sold for about 30% more than we paid all those years ago. The new people are now paying FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS in property taxres. I basically couldnt afford to buy my old house with those taxes. We bought a house on an island an hour outsiude Detroit. EXACT same price we sold our old house for. Taxes are $6800. Now that our house is paid for I can cut the flood insurance and save $600/yr. Our house sits up about 5ft above lake level. If IT floods there will be bigger problems. Most of SE MI lakefront property is barely 2ft above the lake.

PS We were paying like $3500/yr for homeowners on old house. Then shopped it around a couple years ago and saved like $1800. Think we are with AAA now for car and home.

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3058071
07/10/22 09:31 PM
07/10/22 09:31 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
The insurance company determines your rate, not the agent. And the insurance company makes more money by retaining a good customer than acquiring a new customer. You need a new agency.

I'm thinking, I am tired of battling this every time a renewal comes up down As i said they don't really seem to care. BTW if anyone's wondering it's American Family
Not a Charger, could you PM your companies name beer

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: TJP] #3058094
07/11/22 12:29 AM
07/11/22 12:29 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
The insurance game reeks. Don't they own sky scrapers and hold lots of assets them selves all around the globe?
Here there are scary fires and earthquakes, that they will not insure, or at a minimum jack up rates or findinsurers in TX or London.
Doing the math is maddening. Beside homeowner (must add construction cost and code upgrade), there is car and collector car, (boat and motor cycle), must have liability sufficient enough to protect your ass(ets), Oh, don't think twice about owning a rott, dobie, shepherd, terrier, or numerous others. Know who you invite to gatherings and require byob, Lets not forget annual mileage verification, property fire inspections, agreements to foil wrap and foam your home if there is a fire. I can only imagine what they will pull next to avoid any payouts. There are all sorts of pages of disclaimers and limitations. I know several that hunted around and their existing insurance threatened dropping and increases (can't verify if that was b.s. or not).
This is no b.s. it's what it's like in the rural areas of the west.

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058117
07/11/22 06:29 AM
07/11/22 06:29 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

I know several that hunted around and their existing insurance threatened dropping and increases (can't verify if that was b.s. or not).

I can verify that it's bs. First, each state approves each company's rate structure. An insurer increasing rates for that reason? Any state's Department of Insurance would have a field day with that. Market Conduct Surveys (think IRS audit on steroids), massive fines and sanctions. Second, your insurance company would never know if you were shopping around.

I'm happy to help anyone who has questions about their insurance policies, what they do and don't cover, what other coverages (such as earthquake coverage) you may want to consider adding, etc.

As an aside, and my employer's tallest building is 4 stories high. shruggy

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3058144
07/11/22 09:14 AM
07/11/22 09:14 AM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
I also have American Family, same thing, raised rates by about 30%. I would like to compare rates with other companies but to do it online, but they want all your information. Then sell it so I will get spammed to no end. Also, AmFam won't insure my cargo van, they say too many people use them for "non intended" purposes and won't insure them. So now we need to have 2 companies and lose out on discounts. Progressive handles the cargo van but their homeowners is worse than AmFam, even with the bundle!

Agree about the greedy tax assessors, we have to fight them every year on "their" assessment. This year, they think my value went up over 88K!!!

I have AAA so may check out their prices for insurance.

Not A Charger - do you insure from other states? I would like to see if you can help me save some $$$.

Last edited by roadrunninMark; 07/11/22 09:19 AM.
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: roadrunninMark] #3058161
07/11/22 10:21 AM
07/11/22 10:21 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

I work for an insurance company, in claims. I don't sell insurance.

For someone who wants quotes from multiple companies, but doesn't want to do so online, my suggestion is this:
- get quotes from an independent agent who sells multiple companies. Be aware that independent agents can't quote for companies that use captive agents (see below).
- get quotes from a few captive agents as well. State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, Farmers, and some of the other large companies use captive agents, meaning they can only quote that particular company. They're prohibited from selling for other companies.
- be sure you are getting quotes for exactly the same coverages, same deductible amounts, etc. so that you can compare apples-to-apples.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3058177
07/11/22 11:11 AM
07/11/22 11:11 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I have a question about liability coverage..
The insurance that protects individuals/family assets.
Home and car is with one company. Collector car with another, cycle with another (sold boat and rv at beginning of covidic).
Each has their own liability. If an umbrella is secured to blanket at a minimum of assets can the home and individual vehicles have have liability dropped?
In fire and earthquake territory we pay a high premium for fire and the state has their own separate eq policy as companies do not have to offer it and it is considered optional.
Regarding personal posessions (tools, collections, furniture, electronics, etc) all the companies cap what they will pay do to the risk and if one wants additional can be easily added (i.e. pay more).
iirc eq does not include personal stuff, solely the home. Good to own a single story wood framed home wrapped in fire protective materials graded to mineral soil 30' around.

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058179
07/11/22 11:17 AM
07/11/22 11:17 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

With an umbrella policy, you often need to maintain your existing liability coverage with your existing insurer. The umbrella takes over if damage exceed the amount of coverage you have on your car, or home, etc. In order to get a completely accurate answer, you'd have to ask the umbrella carrier.

With regard to fire and earthquake, fire is included in your homeowner's, and is part of comprehensive coverage on your vehicles. Earthquake coverage is not an included part of any homeowner's policy that I am aware of, though many carriers offer an endorsement if you want to add earthquake coverage. I added it to mine for $5/year, but I'm not in an area that gets a lot of quakes, and most of them are very minor. You are right about certain personal possessions having the coverage amounts capped in the basic policy, but you can always add additional coverage for those items.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3058360
07/11/22 06:55 PM
07/11/22 06:55 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
With an umbrella policy, you often need to maintain your existing liability coverage with your existing insurer. The umbrella takes over if damage exceed the amount of coverage you have on your car, or home, etc. In order to get a completely accurate answer, you'd have to ask the umbrella carrier.

With regard to fire and earthquake, fire is included in your homeowner's, and is part of comprehensive coverage on your vehicles. Earthquake coverage is not an included part of any homeowner's policy that I am aware of, though many carriers offer an endorsement if you want to add earthquake coverage. I added it to mine for $5/year, but I'm not in an area that gets a lot of quakes, and most of them are very minor. You are right about certain personal possessions having the coverage amounts capped in the basic policy, but you can always add additional coverage for those items.

I pretty much trust my agent, your input is appreciated to confirm.
One item we deal with is wildland fire risk mapping <- Click
Seems all the insurance companies are using it to limit exposure by either not covering or jacking up rates. It's so bad that the state is contemplating providing people an alternative. A couple nearby neighbors are paying 5k ans 12k per year. I feel fortunate, but it's a lot of work to keep rates down. One it talking about dropping fire coverage. I can't imagine that, perhaps earthquake, but fire could wipe someone out even if home is owned. These fires are not like a kitchen fire, they are so bad that hazmat has to come in first and concrete slabs and foundations removed before rebuilding. Process can take 2 to 3 years to rebuild.
Re Umbrella. Is it typical to drop coverage to the lowest on homeowner, cars and such and then get an umbrella in place?

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058413
07/11/22 10:21 PM
07/11/22 10:21 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
My brother in grass valley is a VICTIM of what you speak. Why he has not moved I don't know pity

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058486
07/12/22 06:21 AM
07/12/22 06:21 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

Re Umbrella. Is it typical to drop coverage to the lowest on homeowner, cars and such and then get an umbrella in place?

Not only is it not typical, you can't do it.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3058552
07/12/22 11:56 AM
07/12/22 11:56 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State

Not only is it not typical, you can't do it.

Maybe I should have posed the question differently.
If a person has insurance and has increased the liability limits due to total assets, is it appropriate to remove the increased overages on the various policies and replace with (the hopefully lower premium) umbrella?
I'm no insurance pro and always deferred to risk management people.

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058555
07/12/22 12:14 PM
07/12/22 12:14 PM
not_a_charger Online mad

Most umbrella carriers require to to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage on your vehicles, home, etc...when most people think "minimum" with regard to insurance, they think of the minimum required by law. That's not what it means in context to an umbrella policy. A safe bet is that an umbrella carrier will require you to carry at least 100/300/100 on your vehicle, and at least $250k on your home, before you can get an umbrella policy. So, if you want an umbrella policy, and you're carrying more liability coverage than they require, can you reduce down to the minimum amount they require? Yes. Should you? That depends.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3058728
07/12/22 10:51 PM
07/12/22 10:51 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Ahhh,the nuance of insurance wink
Yes, in CA I think they require 15k per person/30k per accident/5k property min on vehicles.
That is a joke for many people as an accident now days could far exceed that.
Wife and I own 6 vehicles a home and other assets. Vehicles are divided between 3 insurance co's for different needs. Each has increased liability (and afaik) property.
It is unlikely more than one or two vehicles will be used at a time and two are used very little, one seasonally, BUT the insurance has to be maintained in full force and effect.
If insurance is dropped so is the registration to use on road.
seems that paying over and over for liability and prop damage is a real moneymaker for ins co's

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058729
07/12/22 10:58 PM
07/12/22 10:58 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
iagree

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3