07/13/22 06:18 AM
07/13/22 06:18 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Yes, in CA I think they require 15k per person/30k per accident/5k property min on vehicles.

That's what the state requires. An umbrella carrier's requirements would be much higher. I clearly stated that in my prior post.

The insurance company has nothing to do with CA's registration requirements. In Ohio, all I have to do is sign a statement, saying that I carry at least the state minimum in liability coverage, and I can get my plates. I can drive forever/get plates forever without insurance as long as I don't get pulled over, or have an accident.

As far as carrying coverage on vehicles while they are parked, insurers have started offering usage-based insurance in order to reduce rates for customers like you but it seems that the same people who complain about the topic you mentioned also complain about the plug-in device that tracks your vehicle usage. I will admit that I have concerns about the latter, which is why I've never tried it. But the people complaining can't have it both ways. The insurer is certainly not going to take your word for it regarding when you are using your vehicle, how far you are driving, etc. Collector companies don't verify mileage because they really don't care, it's kind of like putting a padlock on your shed...it's there to keep honest people out. Standard insurers, however, face much higher risks, and are going to need truthful info regarding vehicle usage in order to provide that coverage option.

Also, regarding usage-based insurance. If you don't drive a lot, or you drive more slowly/deliberately/conservatively, usage based insurance is a great idea to consider. If you drive a lot, or are a more spirited driver behind the wheel, it's likely not worth trying.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3058873
07/13/22 12:54 PM
07/13/22 12:54 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by srt
Ahhh,the nuance of insurance wink
Yes, in CA I think they require 15k per person/30k per accident/5k property min on vehicles.
That is a joke for many people as an accident now days could far exceed that.
Wife and I own 6 vehicles a home and other assets. Vehicles are divided between 3 insurance co's for different needs. Each has increased liability (and afaik) property.
It is unlikely more than one or two vehicles will be used at a time and two are used very little, one seasonally, BUT the insurance has to be maintained in full force and effect.
If insurance is dropped so is the registration to use on road.
seems that paying over and over for liability and prop damage is a real moneymaker for ins co's

NAILED IT

I've often thought the insurance should be based on an individuals record rather than the vehicle. Collison and comp maybe on the vehicle as the cost vary's. A 1 ton+ truck may be higher as it can do more damage.

But this is like asking why we pay state sales tax on the federal tax that is on certain items stirthepot whistling

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3059156
07/14/22 11:52 AM
07/14/22 11:52 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I believe my agent takes my reporting to verify annual mileage (I'm honest with him). Unfortunately their base-line threshold is 10k/yr if I recall correctly, thus older go on collector coverage.
With 3 "newer vehicles" only 2 have full coverage and for an 'o3 ctd ram I had to agree to "used parts if new is unavailable". Collector vehicles have full.
I think I'll talk with him about an umbrella to see if reducing the various Liabilities can be offset by savings.

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: srt] #3059165
07/14/22 12:18 PM
07/14/22 12:18 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
OK, So I filled out an online app with policygenius.com 4 days ago, NADA, nothing. OK So I sent them and email asking how long their process takes NO RESPONSE. So Go through the BS online with progressive, I get a comparable quote on the cars, FINE, it says call for a house quote, OK I call the #, spend over an hour with DUFUS who says I have to verify the car info 1st. OK, an hour later he gives me the same quote on the cars WT-O? So I say OK let's talk house, UHH I have to switch you to different dept. and that process normally takes 45 minutes or more. UHH Would you like to purchase the auto policies? NOT AT THIS TIME MORON.
So yesterday AM I call a highly rated independent agent, talk to a nice lady she says Agent XYZ will call me back, NOTHING!!!

IS it me or my age group ?

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: TJP] #3059203
07/14/22 02:09 PM
07/14/22 02:09 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Any of the big companies that are on tv all the time will Richard you around. I wouldn’t bother with any of them and find a local place with a local guy to talk with. Last time I bothered to check rates, an independent place proudly proclaimed “they could beat anybody because we shop around.” Well State Farm dropped the bomb on that deal. They couldn’t believe my rate there, had to show them the paperwork. They never called back, ever.

I needed some workman’s comp and priced it around. State Farm agent admitted they aren’t that competitive on that. The place I went with for it in turn said if State Farm wants your business on home/auto, they can’t be touched.

None of them will readily cough up dough though. I had somebody hit a parked car and State Farm beat the shop up to where it was 21 bucks over my deductible. Shop owner was pretty peeved. My neighbor is mad that a few people got new roofs for hail damage on our street and his denied it all.

I want my fair share
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3059237
07/14/22 03:59 PM
07/14/22 03:59 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
My neighbor is mad that a few people got new roofs for hail damage on our street and his denied it all.

State Farm or somebody else?

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3059301
07/14/22 09:07 PM
07/14/22 09:07 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I had somebody hit a parked car and State Farm beat the shop up to where it was 21 bucks over my deductible. Shop owner was pretty peeved.

Shop owner sounds like a body guy that opened a shop, and not a businessman.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3059324
07/14/22 10:23 PM
07/14/22 10:23 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Every experience I have had in the last 50 years with a State Farm insured has been down
one person had a 70 Challenger dash / firewall meltdown. She had owend the car since high school and had insured it with SF fo rover 40 years without a claim.
I bid the the jobat 18K if I remember correctly. The adjuster called me and said your estimate is for all new parts. I responded with yes. He said well can't you get used ones much cheaper? I responded with I am not putting 50 + year old used electrical parts on a car as if it burns down again in 6 months you'll be on my as-.
She wound up taking the car to a family friend who bid the job 100.00 under me. OK wink 4 months later I get a call from her wanting advice as State farm is refusing to pay realcrazy rolleyes I politely said it is up your repair shop to come to an agreement with your insurance adjuster who should have authorized the work before starting. whistling beer

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3059325
07/14/22 10:25 PM
07/14/22 10:25 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content OP
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I did get a call from the independent agency today and had a nice conversation with the individual. I will keep you posted wink

Re: House insurance cost? up 35% ? [Re: 3hundred] #3059335
07/15/22 12:27 AM
07/15/22 12:27 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
My neighbor is mad that a few people got new roofs for hail damage on our street and his denied it all.

State Farm or somebody else?

Don’t know. My neighbor was quite upset yesterday when he told me this. I moved here last year and I do recall seeing some roofs go on. I heard him asking the roofer why he can’t get one this time either, and the guy said he had to meet with the adjuster.

I want my fair share
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3