06/22/22 10:35 AM
06/22/22 10:35 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline OP
master
Mastershake340  Offline OP
master

Crook County, ILL
I was bummed out to see Bob of MCACN fame and his son Ian got ran into in his AMC by some idiot dump truck driver while participating in the Hot Rod Power Tour. flame
Looks like a local body shop got things straightened out enough on the car so they could continue on the tour, but the car is going to need a fender, grille, bumper, windshield and maybe a hood to restore it back to its former glory. Hope the parts needed aren't too hard to find! luck

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: Mastershake340] #3052365
06/22/22 11:22 AM
06/22/22 11:22 AM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
My thought is waving could mean a couple of things. The truck driver was probably waving to indicate cool car or something. Not signaling to go ahead. That sucks though.

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: mopars4ever] #3052374
06/22/22 11:43 AM
06/22/22 11:43 AM
Crook County, ILL
master
master

Crook County, ILL
From what I could gather from the video was they were at a Shell station and there was a big traffic jam of mostly Power Tour participants on the road the gas station was on. with cops directing traffic at a light or stop sign down the road.
There must have been a delay between when the truck driver waved and the time the line of cars started moving after the cops started directing the traffic through the intersection, and the vehicles backed up were accelerating. They started to pull out, the truck had started to get some momentum going, and "boom".
I know from experience (and I have many decades of it living in the suburbs of Chicago with the congested roads here) that even if it looks like someone is going to let me in from pulling into a line of traffic from a side street or parking lot, to keep my head on a swivel, I look right for the cars to start moving, and as the "domino effect" approaches the car in front of me and I know it are about to start moving, I look to my left to make sure the car or truck I thought was going to let me in is really going to let me in! You have to keep your head on a swivel or else you will get hit someday. twocents
Sometimes you have to be aggressive to butt in or else risk sitting there forever, but still you nudge forward trying to force the driver in the line to your left to make space, and if they decide to be an a-hole that doesn't want to let you in, "gotta know when to fold em" and not push it.
Whatever the case it sucks about the Hornet, I worry more every year when I take my vintage rides out that I'm going to get run into. I am always cautious but put my defensive driving techniques into overdrive when in a old ride! I realized after I bought my Magnum last year, if it ever gets tagged, I don't know if it would even be possible to find the parts to repair it! nervous

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: Mastershake340] #3052381
06/22/22 11:57 AM
06/22/22 11:57 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

1) glad everyone is ok
2) sucks about the car
3) 100% the fault of the driver of the Hornet failing to yield to traffic that had the right of way, based on the description that driver provided of what happened, and the location of the Hornet on the parking lot apron

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: mopars4ever] #3052402
06/22/22 12:47 PM
06/22/22 12:47 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by mopars4ever
My thought is waving could mean a couple of things. The truck driver was probably waving to indicate cool car or something. Not signaling to go ahead. That sucks though.

No, it was a cop waving, not the truck driver.

And they have all the parts to fix the car.

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: not_a_charger] #3052404
06/22/22 12:49 PM
06/22/22 12:49 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
1) glad everyone is ok
2) sucks about the car
3) 100% the fault of the driver of the Hornet failing to yield to traffic that had the right of way, based on the description that driver provided of what happened, and the location of the Hornet on the parking lot apron

It was not the drivers fault, it was a cop who was controlling the traffic and was waving the Hornet and Power Tour group through, and the dump truck driver just drove through the intersection. The dump truck driver didn't even realize he hit the Hornet and kept on going. The cops had to chase him down.

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: Devil] #3052408
06/22/22 01:04 PM
06/22/22 01:04 PM
Crook County, ILL
master
master

Crook County, ILL
Thanks for clarifying the story Ryan. It was unclear from Ian's description in the video, I'd got the impression the truck driver was waving them into the line.
This makes me cringe thinking of a near disaster I was involved in at the Nats over 20 years ago. I saw some friends there late in the day and mentioned I needed to figure out how to get back to my plane at a nearby airport to go home. One of my friends "volunteered" another friend who had his freshly restored pilot car T/A in the show to drive me to the airstrip. My friend with the T/A didn't appear too happy he got volunteered but didn't say no, so off we went into a line of traffic. Cops were directing traffic at a stop sign southeast of the show, and we ended up first in line stopped at the intersection as the cop let the crossing traffic go.
Then the cop put up his hand to stop the opposing traffic and waved us to proceed and he started to go into the intersection. Then some dingbat in a red S10 Blazer didn't figure out what a cop standing there holding his hand up in the middle of the intersection meant until the very last second and locked up her brakes. She ended up stopping about a foot from the left fender of my friend's T/A.
Vintage cars seem to be targets for accidents sadly.

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: Devil] #3052438
06/22/22 03:39 PM
06/22/22 03:39 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by Devil
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
1) glad everyone is ok
2) sucks about the car

It was not the drivers fault, it was a cop who was controlling the traffic and was waving the Hornet and Power Tour group through, and the dump truck driver just drove through the intersection. The dump truck driver didn't even realize he hit the Hornet and kept on going. The cops had to chase him down.

That makes sense. Thanks for the additional info. thumbs As a former road department worker, I can vouch for the fact that if I am directing traffic in an official capacity, and you don't follow my instructions, you can be cited.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: not_a_charger] #3052591
06/23/22 12:37 AM
06/23/22 12:37 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Oh man!! That sucks. I love his car - I'd love to have the hood for mine! laugh
Never met the owner in person, but we've kibbutzed back and forth from time to time. Glad to hear he solved his transmission issues.

I don't know what I would do if my own Hornet got hit (again). 20 years ago, it was almost no big deal finding parts. Today, we AMC folks have to keep our own backstock of parts just because there's almost nothing left out there. Even the big parts suppliers like Moog are not making parts for our cars anymore.

My own Hornet has the fabled "factory approved" fiberglass front fenders now. I lucked-out massively finding a decent pair. If one got damaged or destroyed - there'd be no way I could ever find another set. They are literally THE "Hen's Teeth" of AMC parts.

I'm ashamed to admit - this is half the reason I don't take my toys out to play anymore. Sure, any Chevelle or Mustang gets whacked by some idiot; a phone call to AMD later and they've got parts on the way. I get whacked, my insurance agent is liable to cut me another cheque for $3200 bucks and tell me to have a nice day. *sigh*

100_0918.jpg

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: Mastershake340] #3052618
06/23/22 08:53 AM
06/23/22 08:53 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Mastershake340
From what I could gather from the video was they were at a Shell station and there was a big traffic jam of mostly Power Tour participants on the road the gas station was on. with cops directing traffic at a light or stop sign down the road.
There must have been a delay between when the truck driver waved and the time the line of cars started moving after the cops started directing the traffic through the intersection, and the vehicles backed up were accelerating. They started to pull out, the truck had started to get some momentum going, and "boom".
I know from experience (and I have many decades of it living in the suburbs of Chicago with the congested roads here) that even if it looks like someone is going to let me in from pulling into a line of traffic from a side street or parking lot, to keep my head on a swivel, I look right for the cars to start moving, and as the "domino effect" approaches the car in front of me and I know it are about to start moving, I look to my left to make sure the car or truck I thought was going to let me in is really going to let me in! You have to keep your head on a swivel or else you will get hit someday. twocents
Sometimes you have to be aggressive to butt in or else risk sitting there forever, but still you nudge forward trying to force the driver in the line to your left to make space, and if they decide to be an a-hole that doesn't want to let you in, "gotta know when to fold em" and not push it.
Whatever the case it sucks about the Hornet, I worry more every year when I take my vintage rides out that I'm going to get run into. I am always cautious but put my defensive driving techniques into overdrive when in a old ride! I realized after I bought my Magnum last year, if it ever gets tagged, I don't know if it would even be possible to find the parts to repair it! nervous

That is exactly why I sold my project Superbird. Exact same reasoning.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: 6PakBee] #3052625
06/23/22 09:22 AM
06/23/22 09:22 AM
Almost Heaven
B
Bob Stinson Offline
super stock
Bob Stinson  Offline
super stock
B

Almost Heaven
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by Mastershake340

That is exactly why I sold my project Superbird. Exact same reasoning.

I was brake checked in my duster this weekend, by a deer crossing the road. It's not just bad drivers around here. I thought I was sitting in a dead car but got lucky. It's insured and isn't rare to begin with though.

69 road runner A12 ex-racer
71 Duster w/ a 400

Shiny paint causes stress.
Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: Bob Stinson] #3053333
06/25/22 06:18 PM
06/25/22 06:18 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted by Bob Stinson
I was brake checked in my duster this weekend, by a deer crossing the road. It's not just bad drivers around here. I thought I was sitting in a dead car but got lucky. It's insured and isn't rare to begin with though.

Just one? wink The other day I almost clobbered the last of THREE does who decided to stroll across the 2-lane as I approached at 55 mph, sunny day at 10 am. I've lived here for 20+ years and never seen deer in that spot before (pretty open). rolleyes

Re: Ian and Bob Ashton's AMC damaged in Power Tour [Re: DrCharles] #3053369
06/25/22 09:35 PM
06/25/22 09:35 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
You guys need one of these