Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I am hoping someone may input on a problem I've been dealing with for over 15 years.
I have a 600' long driveway, 10 ft wide that goes straight uphill a pretty steep grade. The driveway is 6 inches thick and fiberglass reinforced (BAD IDEA IMO now) but it was the contractors choice at the time. It was poured over a gravel base that was well-established for about 10-15 years).
About a year after it was poured it appeared the center joint (cut in) was opening up and the slabs were sliding sideways. The contractor came out, was puzzled saying he had only encountered this once before. He proceeded to drill 6" holes down the side he thought was moving (which is open to the entire front acreage). He then filled the holes with concrete. That seemed to slow things down but not stop it.
On the other side of the drive, is a 12 foot wide V shaped drainage are about 15-20ft wide for the runoff from above with a grove of trees another 20 or so feet wide. I even reshaped the drainage area as there was a slight high spot that I thought may be sending water under the drive during the spring thaw.

I then wondered if it was dropping on the outside edges due to the weight of delivery trucks, tow trucks etc. But the edges of the joint are not angled (V's) as one would expect if this were the case, but straight up and down

So, I am wondering if anyone has encountered a problem like this and or what might be done to stabilize it. It's not sliding down, but rather sideways. Originally, the problem was most prominent in the mid-way up the drive, but has slowly moved both directions (up and down) over time. The driveway otherwise is in perfect condition with not heaving, cracking etc.

It is an annual thing to re-caulk a substantial portion of the center joint and I have likely spent more $$ keeping it sealed than I did having it done (12-15K?).
Any experiences, thoughts, suggestions, comments appreciated beer

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052055
06/20/22 05:28 PM
06/20/22 05:28 PM
Star Idaho
67vertman Offline
master
67vertman  Offline
master

Star Idaho
It sounds to me like it is the underlining soil moving or settling. is there evidence other than the slabs that the surrounding soil is/has moved?

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.
Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: 67vertman] #3052092
06/20/22 10:15 PM
06/20/22 10:15 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 67vertman
It sounds to me like it is the underlining soil moving or settling. is there evidence other than the slabs that the surrounding soil is/has moved?

Nothing noticeable. With a gravel driveway being there for over 10 years before, I have been told by many that should have been more than adequate and a well established base to pour on shruggy

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052123
06/21/22 06:48 AM
06/21/22 06:48 AM
SW Fla.
CYACOP Offline
master
CYACOP  Offline
master

SW Fla.
Maybe not the most desirable option but could you make up some stainless flat bar straps and set 2 anchor bolts on each side of the center joint? You can get anchor bolts that use screws instead of nuts that are relatively flat. They would run the length of the driveway and be located in the center.

Last edited by CYACOP; 06/21/22 06:49 AM.
Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: CYACOP] #3052126
06/21/22 08:04 AM
06/21/22 08:04 AM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
How deep were the 6" holes that the contractor drilled and filled with concrete? I'm thinking to drill much smaller holes, maybe 1 1/4" diameter, through the concrete at strategic places and pound in 3 or 4 foot long pieces of 1" diameter rebar down below the top surface of the concrete and then fill in the holes with concrete level with the top surface so the repair isn't visible. Hard to believe that wouldn't stabilize it. It would be relatively inexpensive and something you easily could do yourself.

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052130
06/21/22 08:31 AM
06/21/22 08:31 AM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by TJP
It is an annual thing to re-caulk a substantial portion of the center joint and I have likely spent more $$ keeping it sealed than I did having it done (12-15K?).
Any experiences, thoughts, suggestions, comments appreciated beer

If I'm reading this right, the driveway is splitting longitudinally at the center saw cut joint? Driveway is only 10' wide? And getting wider? Or is it an expansion joint? How wide is the gap now? Expansion joints normally are cut across the narrow portion, not the longitudinal direction. Hindsight being what it is, post tension (VERY unusual if not never for a driveway) is how it should have been done. Retrofitting a half way post tension system would be terribly expensive and may not be successful anyway. Or terribly expensive squared, LOL

Some good info at the link below.

https://www.concreteconstruction.ne...etrofit-using-external-post-tensioning_o

I'm sorry, I really don't have an answer. But rebar would have been better, might not have prevented it though.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: 3hundred] #3052145
06/21/22 10:12 AM
06/21/22 10:12 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I have a similar situation, an approximate 30' long double driveway on a 15% slope. The driveway was poured about 40 years ago and over the next 10 years it slid toward the street such that the first expansion joint opened from about 3/8" to about 2". The only thing that seems to be stopping it from sliding further is the paved street. But if you look closely, the street adjacent to the curb is deforming. So far I've done nothing other than fill the expansion joint gap. I'm not really sure what would stop it. My Father always maintained that the earth is always moving. If you look at leaning retaining walls and out of level A/C unit pads, I think my Father was right.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052158
06/21/22 11:00 AM
06/21/22 11:00 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
My first impression is the concrete is "monolithic" and floating on material that is not able to support it.
Without visiting the site is hard to diagnose. I feel it is a foundation problem, and that should be investigated first.
I'd check with Soil Conservation Service to determine if there is landslide activity on your site, or even adjacent.
Then, water intrusion under the slab should be investigated.
The "R" value of the native material should have been determined by the designer.
I'd hesitate spending any more $ on repairs until the above is determined.
Sometimes it is impossible to "stabilize" for a concrete surface and a "flexible" road bed would be appropriate.
Flex road-bed can be done in several ways and method determined after the first three above are determined.
My guess is if the entire drive is moving you have a deep seated sliding mass. If it's located in one or two areas it's water.
Loading and unloading the slab by driving on it pumps water in and out of the "structural section" and the "fines" in the gravel are pumped out thus destabalizing the road
Additionally forces of vehicles on the concrete can have the slab walking across the concrete/gravel contact plane, or more likely an undelaying slip plane of different soil types or native and fill constructed upon it..
Partial removal of the worse segments and de-watering (drain blanket with drain pipes) and install of a "geo-grid" may help.
Again too far away to tell, so get the soil engineer on site.

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: CYACOP] #3052183
06/21/22 01:46 PM
06/21/22 01:46 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by CYACOP
Maybe not the most desirable option but could you make up some stainless flat bar straps and set 2 anchor bolts on each side of the center joint? You can get anchor bolts that use screws instead of nuts that are relatively flat. They would run the length of the driveway and be located in the center.

I wondered About doing something like that but am concerned it may cause stress cracking around the bolts and result in a bigger mess shruggy

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: 70Duster] #3052187
06/21/22 01:59 PM
06/21/22 01:59 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 70Duster
How deep were the 6" holes that the contractor drilled and filled with concrete? I'm thinking to drill much smaller holes, maybe 1 1/4" diameter, through the concrete at strategic places and pound in 3 or 4 foot long pieces of 1" diameter rebar down below the top surface of the concrete and then fill in the holes with concrete level with the top surface so the repair isn't visible. Hard to believe that wouldn't stabilize it. It would be relatively inexpensive and something you easily could do yourself.

The depth of the holes is something I don't know But if memory is correct I'd say3.5 -4 ft.
And you r suggestion or something along those lines was another thought I had but not sure about how far to go down, the cost, finishing, possible long term issues (cracking etc.) I'm still working 7 days a week trying to get caught up on commitments I made to customers over a year ago. So my doing it is not possibly at this time frown BTW,
NEVER TREAT AN EMPLOYEE AS ANYTHING MORE THAN A TOOL spank tsk beer

Last edited by TJP; 06/21/22 02:04 PM.
Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052190
06/21/22 02:01 PM
06/21/22 02:01 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Have an engineer come out and assess what you have going on.
In my mind you're going to have to construct a concrete retention wall to prevent it from sliding further.

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: 3hundred] #3052201
06/21/22 02:43 PM
06/21/22 02:43 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 3hundred

If I'm reading this right, the driveway is splitting longitudinally at the center saw cut joint? Driveway is only 10' wide? And getting wider? Or is it an expansion joint? How wide is the gap now? Expansion joints normally are cut across the narrow portion, not the longitudinal direction. Hindsight being what it is, post tension (VERY unusual if not never for a driveway) is how it should have been done.

1st question, Yes
2nd question, yes
3rd question, in areas an inch or so others hasn't moved at all ( keep in mind it's 600+ ft long)

Hindsight? I would've used a different contractor or at least required wire fence or rebar frown
I keep thinking of a LARGE HYDRAULIC C CLAMP , or maybe 12ft long 1" diameter all thread
LOL
And the tensioning idea is great but a bit too late frown beer

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: 6PakBee] #3052202
06/21/22 02:44 PM
06/21/22 02:44 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
beer

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: srt] #3052206
06/21/22 02:51 PM
06/21/22 02:51 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by srt
My first impression is the concrete is "monolithic" and floating on material that is not able to support it.
Without visiting the site is hard to diagnose. I feel it is a foundation problem, and that should be investigated first.
I'd check with Soil Conservation Service to determine if there is landslide activity on your site, or even adjacent.
Then, water intrusion under the slab should be investigated.
The "R" value of the native material should have been determined by the designer.
I'd hesitate spending any more $ on repairs until the above is determined.
Sometimes it is impossible to "stabilize" for a concrete surface and a "flexible" road bed would be appropriate.
Flex road-bed can be done in several ways and method determined after the first three above are determined.
My guess is if the entire drive is moving you have a deep seated sliding mass. If it's located in one or two areas it's water.
Loading and unloading the slab by driving on it pumps water in and out of the "structural section" and the "fines" in the gravel are pumped out thus destabalizing the road
Additionally forces of vehicles on the concrete can have the slab walking across the concrete/gravel contact plane, or more likely an undelaying slip plane of different soil types or native and fill constructed upon it..
Partial removal of the worse segments and de-watering (drain blanket with drain pipes) and install of a "geo-grid" may help.
Again too far away to tell, so get the soil engineer on site.

thanks for the response, but likely a bit too expensive for my retirement based budget. I have had several different civil/ construction engineers look at as friends / customers and they have all shook their heads shruggy beer

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: Fat_Mike] #3052208
06/21/22 03:02 PM
06/21/22 03:02 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Have an engineer come out and assess what you have going on.
In my mind you're going to have to construct a concrete retention wall to prevent it from sliding further.

it's pretty much level ground but uphill. the slabs are slipping sideways on the level plane.

I just had a concrete/ caulk guy here than say water is getting under it form seepage at the joints that are all caulked but some are likely seeping. h quote 5K to re-caulk the entire driveway with an 8 year warranty on the caulk not separating from the concrete.
Hmm I'll be getting up there by that time. Might also try to see if i can get ahold of the original contractor to see if he can offer anything. Strange problem confused

I do want to thank all that have responded so far beer

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052227
06/21/22 05:55 PM
06/21/22 05:55 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I must say, I don't understand the original thought of splitting a 10' wide driveway side to side. That doesn't even make any sense to me. My driveway is 19' 6" wide and it isn't split side to side at all.

My old drive was 16' wide and was split side to side, and it was spreading apart, I think each side was allowed to lift and drop separately as the weight of vehicle traffic crossed the two pieces, and as the cement rocked against each other they pushed themselves apart. Your driveway only being one vehicle width wide, I think the problem would be compounded. Since the entire driveway isn't spreading consistently, I suspect there may be water issues under the drive at the points it is spreading more.

Unfortunately, I don't see a permanent solution, short of replacing the areas that are spreading. I wouldn't even consider that with only an inch of spread, fill the gap. Its been there 16 years and has only moved apart an inch, if it continues at that pace, in another 16 years it may be a 2" gap, but you have had things done to slow the change, it may not move any more.

Truthfully, I'm pretty impressed that a 16 year old 600' driveway isn't cracked! My 15 year old 88' driveway has a couple of very small cracks in it. Gene

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052230
06/21/22 06:13 PM
06/21/22 06:13 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Not being a wise guy, sometimes one has to cut to losses. The lateral movement is not the problem but a product of under laying materials.
I agree with the above that wheel loading together with basement soil, base rock (hopefully not sand), and/or water intrusion is the problem.
The concrete is most likely starting a long slow process of moving about and failing.
I have only seen the solution to be to pulverize and use the existing as crusher fodder to build up the structural section upon which to construct a correctly designed drive.
If the under laying soil is clay or high in organics or located on the vicinity of a spring you will need to de-water with french or under drains.
I offer this not to distress, but as an honest opinion.

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: srt] #3052278
06/21/22 10:08 PM
06/21/22 10:08 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
The base was gravel that had been in place for about 15 years with no real problems in spite of the grade, everyone i have spoken with has said that should have been an ideal base shruggy
Right now I'm leaning towards the guy that was out today. has 31 years exp and believes it just water getting under it from all the joints etc. Even though they are all caulked he pointed out several are no longer sealed.
He wants to re-caulk the entire thing with an 8 year non pro rated warranty. ~ 4.5K works out to about 45.00 a month which is a lot less than I have been paying on an annual / semi annual basis. he works for the owner and has been in business for 10 years. have to do a bit more research but the warranty is appealing in spite of the cost shruggy
Thanks again to t hose that are responding beer

Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: TJP] #3052299
06/22/22 12:09 AM
06/22/22 12:09 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by CYACOP

I wondered About doing something like that but am concerned it may cause stress cracking around the bolts and result in a bigger mess shruggy

I doubt you will get enough of those to withstand the weight of two sections pulling apart like you describe. My thought is it will either bust or start big cracks on your otherwise smooth concrete surface.

I agree that something is moving under the surface. Seems odd that in this time you’ve not had a really bad movement though. Maybe you can ride this pony 15 more years? That would reach the lifespan of a concrete driveway. It lasting over 30 in good shape is a bonus.

I want my fair share
Re: Concrete Driveway problem / question [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3052301
06/22/22 12:19 AM
06/22/22 12:19 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I don’t think I’ve seen a ten wide drive with an expansion joint on the width. Usually only see expansion used when you have two different pours. The control joints need to be about 8 feet apart or the concrete will create those for you for free. Look at pours by boobs and you’ll see a big crack spaced about that far apart on them.

I’d call up a local concrete supply house and see what Sikka flex costs per tube and try to figure up the coverage area you need. Maybe push a backer rod down in there to lessen what you have to put on it. You could do a test area and see what you think. Should be way less than 4-5k. I mean way way less. You could probably get a handyman to do it if you aren’t able to bend down that much if you go buy the materials. It’s really just like caulking work.

Or have an asphalt guy do the lower portion and then try for a repair of just what’s up near the house. Asphalt is usually like 25-30% of the cost of concrete. I detest it near a house or for a short driveway, but could be convinced to live with a few hundred feet away from the house.

I want my fair share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3