05/19/22 06:36 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
Satilite73 Offline OP
I Live Here
Satilite73  Offline OP
I Live Here

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Like the title says.

See a lot of junk pulling stupid numbers.

Went to a few different sites out of curiosity regarding my wagon..... eek Really?

John

Imagine a '73 Satellite Wagon picture here. 😁
Re: How accurate are online price guides at this point? [Re: Satilite73] #3043698
05/19/22 06:52 PM
05/19/22 06:52 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
I'm tired...Very tired.
larrymopar360  Offline
I'm tired...Very tired.

Central Florida
John, I don't believe they are very inline with the actual market. With newer vehicles I believe they are much more accurate as they are able to gauge things so much more accurately because of a large sample size. With older stuff it's just so difficult to get a true market value IMO. I try to do a nationwide for sale search of the particular vehicle and hopefully come up with a few of like condition and see where they are priced to get an idea.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: How accurate are online price guides at this point? [Re: larrymopar360] #3043711
05/19/22 07:23 PM
05/19/22 07:23 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
I Live Here
topside  Offline
I Live Here

So Near, Yet So Far
Most seem as accurate as a drunk at a dartboard, but it's hard for them to nail prices with certainty for most stuff.
They can't account for specific flaws or for restoration quality with much accuracy, or usually for popular colors.
That's of course why they call themselves "guides".
Auctions frequently exceed rational amounts simply because of the competition and the ability to properly check out a car.
I agree with Larry, basically: newer stuff, no problem, but older stuff is more varied and nuanced.
I have a pretty good feel for some cars because I'm always looking at them, but often they're either better or worse in person.
Two people in the hobby thought I was nuts paying up for my last RR, but it's making me look quite clever at the moment.
The previous one I bought, not so much until the recent market surge for really nice cars - I'm about break-even on that one.
I'm OK with wherever they are price-wise, because to me they have a value above money.

Re: How accurate are online price guides at this point? [Re: topside] #3043715
05/19/22 07:33 PM
05/19/22 07:33 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
I Live Here
Neil  Offline
I Live Here

Eagle, Idaho
Hard to price out old cars as there is not that many of the same, or similar, up for grabs at the same time. You may see a nice 68 RR sell for X. Might not see another one like it in the same color and shape for awhile and by then inflation and other things have moved the price around in that time. Occasionally you get people who will wildly overpay for something, and then everyone sees that and thinks it the new price point for whatever they have to sell.

Also the number of real nice cars that deserve top dollar is just not that great. Lots of perfumed pigs out there on consignment at specialty dealers online so you now you have some lower quality stuff mixed in at marked up dealer prices and that distorts things to the upside as well. Unfortunately lots of people price their cars by simply clicking on Ebay and look for something similar to what they have and that becomes their asking price. The online car and their car could have next to nothing in common as far as condition or quality.

As far as newer stuff goes the lady at my bank told me the blue book values don't apply right now on in demand stuff. Told me I would save money by going out of town or even out of state to buy a used pickup vs trying to get a fair deal on anything locally by a dealer in town. If you see something you want that is popular it may sell in a day or so at most. If you wait to look at it over the weekend it may be gone by then.

Last edited by Neil; 05/19/22 07:39 PM.
Re: How accurate are online price guides at this point? [Re: Neil] #3043806
05/20/22 07:38 AM
05/20/22 07:38 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
master
SomeCarGuy  Offline
master
S

Someplace you aren't
I subscribed to old cars price guide during my car search. Figured might as well, it came as an offer in the mail I’m sure because of all the mags I get already. I found it was a joke. One big tip off was it had a 71 cuda as less than a 70 or something along those lines. Some other things I knew were wrong, but can’t think of them right now.

I want my fair share
Re: How accurate are online price guides at this point? [Re: Satilite73] #3044022
05/20/22 09:57 PM
05/20/22 09:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
IMO, they never have been reliable or real twocents