05/16/22 05:04 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted by moparpollack
Recently I've been talking to people about the high prices of cars. The higher the car cost the worst it is to deal with people. The last two cars I've bought were only seen on websites not in person and I didn't have any issues with the cars. However these weren't hemi cars and I talked to the sellers on the phone for a couple of hours. Sometimes we are to eager to make a sale and should say no you cannot buy it unless you come and see the car.

That's a shame. Cause it's just mean more high end cars going to auctions and pumped up selling prices.

That in turn has an effect on the pricing on lower segment cars

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3042855
05/16/22 05:23 PM
05/16/22 05:23 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Two words, POUND SAND! Bought sight unseen, paid you what you agreed upon, he has zero repercussions period! twocents

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Rhinodart] #3042866
05/16/22 05:54 PM
05/16/22 05:54 PM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Two words, POUND SAND! Bought sight unseen, paid you what you agreed upon, he has zero repercussions period! twocents

He had a mutual acquaintance come look at the car. Once at my house and then when I delivered it to his place for delivery. I'm just pizzed that he rushed me off his property because he was going out with his wife for dinner and I wasn't able to get the bill of sale scanned and signed as agreed. The car was not supposed to be released until the bill of sale was signed and in my hand.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3042868
05/16/22 05:59 PM
05/16/22 05:59 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted by Sammy
Im really at my wits end with this guy who just bought my hemi car.
I decided after 35 years to part with my baby. It was older restoration but still looked great. He bought the car sight unseen. Gave him plenty of pictures and I gave him the most accurate description as possible.
He just received the car and he was easy to deal with at 1st when he gave me a deposit.
After deposit and many phone calls, he started getting a little intense and became a real PITA.
He just received the car and now is picking it apart wanting me to give him money back. I signed the bill of sale but they took the car without signing it.
What's your thoughts on this matter?

In looking at some of the used car sales most everything pertains to an actual dealer. There was one statement that stood out on private sales is that as long as the seller acted in good faith you shouldn’t have a problem. Of course if the buyer pursues it in court then no telling the outcome. Sounds like you’ve done your part in acting in good faith.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: B3422W5] #3042883
05/16/22 06:48 PM
05/16/22 06:48 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Originally Posted by B3422W5

There is an old saying in the car business( probably not popular with many, but in 32 years I have found it to have definite merit) and that is….Buyers are liars.

LMFAO...

There are plenty of old sayings about used car salespeople...

Mike.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3042945
05/17/22 06:16 AM
05/17/22 06:16 AM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa

He had a mutual acquaintance come look at the car. Once at my house and then when I delivered it to his place for delivery. I'm just pizzed that he rushed me off his property because he was going out with his wife for dinner and I wasn't able to get the bill of sale scanned and signed as agreed. The car was not supposed to be released until the bill of sale was signed and in my hand.

Unfortunately this is 100% on you. You needed to hold him accountable for your own benefit, dinner be damned. Hopefully this is a lesson to everyone, don't get excited cause you see some greenbacks, get your docs in order is priority.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Rhinodart] #3042954
05/17/22 07:08 AM
05/17/22 07:08 AM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.

Car was presented accurately. A flipped headliner bow isn't anything big. Bumpers were not rusted and there was no paint bubbles in trunk.

New sparkplug were installed with 0 miles on them. Took the car to the delivery place and it ran flawlessly. He says it needs a tune-up when there's electronic ignition. Sparkplug wires have 30 miles on them. The guys a richardhead.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3042992
05/17/22 09:41 AM
05/17/22 09:41 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
As stated previously, guy sounds like a flipper looking to increase his profit margin.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043002
05/17/22 10:21 AM
05/17/22 10:21 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I agree to talk to a lawyer.

I would cut it to the chase and have the lawyer send a cease and desist letter threatening a lawsuit for harassment.

That should put it to an end but again take the lawyers advice. Most first meetings with a lawyer are free but the letter and all at going rates it should be $500 or less.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: IMGTX] #3043008
05/17/22 10:44 AM
05/17/22 10:44 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
I wonder how all the Vintage car dealers and auctions avoid all these hassles from remorseful or scheming buyers?
Many of the cars they sell actually do have serious issues and buyers don't seem to have much recourse after they buy and find out the problems.
Let alone just some nitpicky stuff like an alleged headliner bow or engine needs fine tuning.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Mastershake340] #3043016
05/17/22 11:00 AM
05/17/22 11:00 AM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by Mastershake340
I wonder how all the Vintage car dealers and auctions avoid all these hassles from remorseful or scheming buyers?
Many of the cars they sell actually do have serious issues and buyers don't seem to have much recourse after they buy and find out the problems.
Let alone just some nitpicky stuff like an alleged headliner bow or engine needs fine tuning.

The engine was running perfectly. 30 mile journey and not one hiccup.
Bumpersneedwd polishing. No rust.
The buyer rushed me to get the car. I told him in text that he needed to sign the bill of sake 1st before releasing the var.
The mutual acquaintance said he was going to do it at his house once the car got there.
He rushed me out and never scanned the bill of sale as promised.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043021
05/17/22 11:24 AM
05/17/22 11:24 AM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut

The buyer rushed me to get the car. I told him in text that he needed to sign the bill of sake 1st before releasing the var.
The mutual acquaintance said he was going to do it at his house once the car got there.

I think the bum’s rush was part of the plan and the “acquaintance” was used as a decoy.

I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties.

China is the enemy.
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043028
05/17/22 11:42 AM
05/17/22 11:42 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
This reply wound Up in the unmoderated forum ? shruggy So I am reposting it here to make sure you see it. I have walked this road a few times with customers in the last 25 years and it is not pleasant. I would strongly encourage that you re-read my previous comment(s) as well.

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I wouldn’t communicate any more until you pick a lawyer and see what you are told to do at this point. This has a feel to me like you have a seasoned professional scammer on the line and this isn’t their first foray into such a skirmish. Worth an hour to speak with an attorney and most will do the first phone call and few minutes for free.

I also wouldn’t post any more details as a buyer for a hemi car could easily be thought of as a type that frequents mopar sites and you are making public statements that can and will be used in court.

THE ABOVE IS ADVICE YOU SHOULD HEED

All of the ignore, pound sand, you're in the clear comments are BUlls-T when it come's to our legal system. DAMHIK
PLEASE TAKE THE ADVICE ABOVE from Some Car Guy!!!
Despite ALL the documentation, recordings of conversations, letters my lawyer told me it may all count for ZERO depending on how the Judge feels that day. An example he used was
"Imagine the Judge just picked up his Mercedes from repairs at the dealer and thinks he got screwed. How do you think he might rule?"
"He then asked How many times have you seen a bad call by a referee that stood in spite of the video playback?"
"Welcome to our legal system" he then said

Talking to a lawyer right now before this goes any further is the best money you will have spent in a long time. Doing so will do one of two things,
1. Quiet him down (doubtful)
2. Escalate it
You have my sympathy as dealing with this type of individual is HELL

twocents beer

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Mastershake340] #3043034
05/17/22 12:00 PM
05/17/22 12:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

1. They have their butts covered 16 ways to to Sunday in the Contract
2: The have a lawyer(s) on retainer
beer

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: TJP] #3043037
05/17/22 12:05 PM
05/17/22 12:05 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Selling real estate I've used this clause:

At Closing, Buyer shall receive a repair credit against the Purchase Price in an amount equal to $X for repairs and replacements at the Property. Said repair credit is the total agreed amount between Buyer and Seller as offset the repair work found during Buyers completing due diligence inspections of the property. Seller nor Buyer shall have any obligation to pay the other party due to any increase or decrease of the actual cost of the repair work compared with the credit given and said credit shall not be subject to adjustment.

As it seems it may be difficult for you to communicate with the buyer about what you said "It was older restoration but still looked great."
All the writing on this site does nothing to resolve. Before the deal completely sours and with the potential to spend a lot to resolve think about a fairly easy fix.
The real estate deal requires inspections. The sale from a far requires trust and facts (there's that word). The problem is based in interpretation of condition and the private discussions we are not privy.
It's tough to communicate about these deals. I'd recommend the easy road of communicating and getting his list and what he wants. Then you develop your counter and get him to accept.
Or, don't and see what happens.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: TJP] #3043051
05/17/22 12:17 PM
05/17/22 12:17 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Especially when it's presumably a higher priced purchase like this I wouldn't have let him rush me out of there without signing anything you wanted. It doesn't take that long to do.

It sounds like he had something planned from the beginning or huge buyers remorse. I'd be tempted to turn around and offer him something to buy the car back minus something to cover the time and expenses this costed you but i'd be worried about what's happened to the car in the meantime.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: 1972CudaV21] #3043053
05/17/22 12:23 PM
05/17/22 12:23 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21

I think the bum’s rush was part of the plan and the “acquaintance” was used as a decoy.

I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties.

First thing I thought. Not coming himself in person and the whole "rush rush" thing seems fishy for such a rare, valuable car. How does somebody "forget" to sign the bill of sale? That's like the most important thing next to handing over the cash...

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: 5thAve] #3043073
05/17/22 01:19 PM
05/17/22 01:19 PM
tennessee,usa
mattsmopars Offline
master
mattsmopars  Offline
master

tennessee,usa
Sadly, we live in a world today full of people who are looking to blame someone else. If he did not do a personal inspection for himself but was given the opportunity for a friend to inspect the car in person well, he should rely on who he sent to inspect it. Otherwise, he should have sent someone else to look. I see more and more folks who do not want to do the leg work needed to make a smooth transaction. No way I would buy any car without a personal inspection or the inspection of a qualified person. Even when cars are sold with a decent description, in some cases the buyer and seller will have a different idea in their minds about condition. A person needs to satisfy themselves before any money changes hands. If they do not, you're asking for trouble IMO. For sure once a car is shipped and paid for all of these things need to be taken care of, unless grossly misrepresented. That said the inspection by his person of choice should have taken care of his questions.
Matt

Last edited by mattsmopars; 05/17/22 01:20 PM.
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043082
05/17/22 01:45 PM
05/17/22 01:45 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA

Stop worrying about the bill of sale signature issue... it's a non starter and irrelevant. You have other factors that support the transaction.

I'd tell him that the car is his and if he has any issues with the vehicle, take it up with his person that "inspected" the car and approved condition prior to the wire transfer. Transaction is complete and consistent with used vehicle sales, sold in "as is" condition. Enjoy the car.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: crackedback] #3043088
05/17/22 02:22 PM
05/17/22 02:22 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
I would like to see pictures of the car in question? Was this a high dollar sale?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6