Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
If the buyer did not do his due diligence as you say, there is no way you have any responsibility in that. As has been said many times here, as long as you were not deceptive..........f*ck him. These are 50+ year old vehicles. The only way any kind of warranty would be in place is if it were specified.

I would not continue to communicate with the buyer on anything related to his buyer's remorse. It may be premature to lawyer up mostly due to the costs. The ball is in his court. There is not much you can do now to change the course of events. Unless you feel the need to buy him off.

Master, again and still
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: DaveRS23] #3042742
05/16/22 10:21 AM
05/16/22 10:21 AM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Pretty sure all used cars sales are "as is" in the eyes of the law unless specifically stated otherwise or unless there was misrepresentation of the car on the seller's part. . That said, I always make the buyer sign a bill of sale that states the car is sold "as is, where is".

Assuming the OP was honest in his sales tactics, he should walk away from this guy. Done deal.

Last edited by Ramrod39; 05/16/22 10:22 AM.
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: DaveRS23] #3042745
05/16/22 10:29 AM
05/16/22 10:29 AM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
I'll assume there's no valid reason for the buyer to be disappointed in the car or purchase price.
But try Googling his name to see if any other post-purchase or legal shenanigans come up.

I used to know a guy in Calif who would refuse to sell a car to an attorney.
Only time I've ever had someone NOT thank me for selling them my car was a Harley Sportster, around 1992.
It had a small oil leak, which I'd pointed out as proof that it was an HD. laugh2
He called to whine about it & threaten a lawsuit; I reviewed his inspection & our discussion, and never heard from him again.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: ph23vo] #3042748
05/16/22 10:45 AM
05/16/22 10:45 AM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by ph23vo
JUST IGNORE HIM... HE HAS NO REPERCUSSIONS... RELAX AND MOVE ON

Listen to this chit.
Says the car needs a tune up. Needs plug wires and spark plugs. Says one headliner bow is upside down and now bumper has rust and there's paint bubble in the trunk.
Says to call him in 15 minutes or he's going to come after me with a lawyer. Never saw any problems with any of this. Headliner bow seemed to have turned upside down when I drove it to the drop off point on Saturday. Is this guy crazy?

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Ramrod39] #3042750
05/16/22 10:48 AM
05/16/22 10:48 AM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by Ramrod39
Pretty sure all used cars sales are "as is" in the eyes of the law unless specifically stated otherwise or unless there was misrepresentation of the car on the seller's part. . That said, I always make the buyer sign a bill of sale that states the car is sold "as is, where is".

Assuming the OP was honest in his sales tactics, he should walk away from this guy. Done deal.

Bill of sale was taken from the car and he never signed it.
I told him I wanted it signed and then would give him title.
Title was signed over but car was delivered and never got the bill of sale signed. He didn't do it my way a d rushed the sale.
I was rushed out of the spot where I hand delivered the car.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: DaveRS23] #3042751
05/16/22 10:50 AM
05/16/22 10:50 AM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
If the buyer did not do his due diligence as you say, there is no way you have any responsibility in that. As has been said many times here, as long as you were not deceptive..........f*ck him. These are 50+ year old vehicles. The only way any kind of warranty would be in place is if it were specified.

I would not continue to communicate with the buyer on anything related to his buyer's remorse. It may be premature to lawyer up mostly due to the costs. The ball is in his court. There is not much you can do now to change the course of events. Unless you feel the need to buy him off.

I believe if I give him a few thousand. It will never stop with this guy. I felt he was eccentric talking to him. But he wired me money immediately after I answered all his questions and sent him dozens of photos of the car.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3042754
05/16/22 10:58 AM
05/16/22 10:58 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
I had big issues with a '66 Mercury Comet Caliente I sold.

Not because the car was misrepresented but because the guys wife bought it for him for a Christmas present and then realized they really didn't have the means to keep it.

Two months later they are asking me if I had any leads from when I owned it that they could sell it for them. Told them I had no one with any interest in it. Then it got nasty where they accused me of charging them too much for it (despite it being in line with the Hagerty valuation guide). THEN they had issues with the title because she had had a lien against it and told me the state told her the title was no good now and I needed to fix it! Like all of this was somehow my fault. shruggy

I told her the sale was final as far as I was concerned and didn't want any further contact.

Taught me a valuable lesson as I jumped through multiple hoops for these people including sacrificing Christmas out of town to deliver the car for them.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3042758
05/16/22 11:20 AM
05/16/22 11:20 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I would just stop it all now and tell the buyer the transaction has been completed. End it right there. Id not let the guy convince me something was wrong knowing it wasnt.

No one knows the buyers motivation for buying your car, could of had the big flip in mind, who knows. But if you know you were honest in your side of the sale end it now.

The transfer of funds sealed the deal. There are many stages of a sale with title transfer only being a part of it.

Someone brought up spending a couple hundred for a hour of your attorneys time, thats a good option, not for me, maybe for you. But Id stop any communication other then the deal is done.

Originally Posted by Sammy
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

I believe if I give him a few thousand. It will never stop with this guy. I felt he was eccentric talking to him. But he wired me money immediately after I answered all his questions and sent him dozens of photos of the car.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3042770
05/16/22 11:50 AM
05/16/22 11:50 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Get your money out of that account the funds were transferred to ASAP. If possible move it to another bank.

I'm guessing this was an over $75K transaction for an original hemi car. With the lawyer threat, his fast paced actions to avoid signing bill of sale, the eccentric vibe you got, buying it sight unseen... you probably should see a lawyer ASAP. This is starting to smell scam-ish.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 05/16/22 12:06 PM.
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: BTBelvedere] #3042774
05/16/22 11:59 AM
05/16/22 11:59 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by BTBelvedere
IF you decide to refund his money, I'd want to have the car back home and YOU pick it apart before I released a nickel. Just my opinion.

iagree And see my commentary further down beer

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3042776
05/16/22 12:05 PM
05/16/22 12:05 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I'd look at the big picture. The combination of chit is causing the prob:

"Says the car needs a tune up. Needs plug wires and spark plugs. Says one headliner bow is upside down and now bumper has rust and there's paint bubble in the trunk.
Says to call him in 15 minutes or he's going to come after me with a lawyer. Never saw any problems with any of this. Headliner bow seemed to have turned upside down when I drove it to the drop off point on Saturday. Is this guy crazy?"

You know the headliner bow issue.
How it ran is subjective. Was it recently tuned correctly?
Bumper rust Is it 50 years old, rust on the back side?
Paint Bubble. Was it there?

Those things are really not that big of deal, BUT, some might see them as red flags.
Did you take lots of pics? For his and your record? When turning a vehicle over to a transport co always take pics everywhere and have your documents of recent work.
If things erode I'd at least find someone close by to eyeball and gauge his claims.

imho I'd think about dealing with the headliner and in return you get a signed release on everything else. Hope he does not fight. Guys buying top shelf cars have the budget to make little things become big pita.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: srt] #3042785
05/16/22 12:25 PM
05/16/22 12:25 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
I would NEVER buy a big dollar car without personally looking at it IN-PERSON! This story is incredible, but there are people out there like him.

I have come across a few people like this over the years. Back in the 80's when I owned a company that supplied rust-free parts from the SW US, I remember we shipped a fender to a guy - it was a nice part & not rusted through anywhere. The guy calls us after receiving the part all worked-up: "THIS IS A USED PART!!!!!!!!" and: "YOU GUYS PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS FROM A JUNKYARD! I'LL BET YOU PAID LESS THAN $50.00 FOR IT!" I told the guy "actually - I think we got that fender for free."

So right after the guy uttered "this fender is USED!" - I asked him where in our ad or where in any communication we led him to believe everything we sold was NOS? This guy was just a babe in the woods - he had no business being involved with the old car hobby. There ARE people this naive out there! YOUR car buyer is either one of these, or he's trying to pull a scam. Like someone suggested in the thread here - move this $$ to another bank ASAP & give your attorney a heads-up on what is going on. Follow your attorney's advice. Obviously, you'll have some legal expenses but hopefully not more than a few hours.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3042789
05/16/22 12:34 PM
05/16/22 12:34 PM
Richmond, Indiana
19swinger70 Offline
master
19swinger70  Offline
master

Richmond, Indiana
He is probably a flipper looking to add another 10% by having you refund some of his money.

1970 340 swinger. sublime
1967 barracuda fastback BB
55 Plymouth Project
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3042791
05/16/22 12:45 PM
05/16/22 12:45 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
The buyer bought your car sight unseen...a Hemi car no less! To me, he is an idiot!!! The last car I bought...I traveled about 7-8 hours from my house to PERSONALLY check it out. Seller first sent me alot of photos, and a video of the car, and many phone/text conversations, then I went to look at it IN PERSON. Liked what I saw, bought the car, got ALL the paperwork and title signed over to me...then had the car picked up by transport truck a week later....simple. Like others have said, either this guy is really stupid, or a scam artist...transfer your money from the sale to another financial institution ASAP, and talk with an attorney to cover yourself...good luck!

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #3042794
05/16/22 12:57 PM
05/16/22 12:57 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan

There is an old saying in the car business( probably not popular with many, but in 32 years I have found it to have definite merit) and that is….Buyers are liars.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: TJP] #3042801
05/16/22 01:24 PM
05/16/22 01:24 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
You unfortunately have sold to "SCROTE M _____________" (fill in the last name)
I had a customer several years back we Nick named SCROTE M SORENSEN.

I wish i had the time to write all the details out but will try to summarize.
1st. there was a dash knob missing. I said Ok send me a pic of the panel (Vintage air) and I'll order a replacement.
2nd 2weeks later, A rattle when it IDLES. OK send me the pic, I'll get the knob, install it and fix the rattle.
3rd. 2 more weeks, There's scratches on the ignition switch cover, was this a used part? NO
4th 2 more weeks, I suspect all of the work you did you used parts. i want the make model and VIN # of the cars you took the parts from.
This went on for over 6 months with many offers by myself to address the IMAGINARY issues. After 6 months i told him i was done and rescinded all previous offers

3 or 4 months later I was served with a notice i was being sued.
get an attorney involved XXX $
In spite of the fact that everything was done in writing it had no bearing on the current situation. My attorney advised to settle if possible as the court and his fees would likely exceed the amount involved.
After several more months and more lawyer fees A settlement was finally agreed to. Total cost about 5K on a 9k invoice Fortunately the lawyer was a friend.

IMO: You have made a transaction with SCROTE pity frown
your choices at this point
1. Try to reach an agreeable cash settlement.
2. OFFER buy the car back offering to split the transportation costs
3. Contact an attorney
I did not read this entire post but if you have anything that states the vehicle was being sold AS-IS it would be very beneficial. IF not see 1, 2 or 3 as I do not think this guy is going away frown SORRY pity

BTW: he pulled the same cr-p on his attorney when it came time to pay the bill. He claimed he didn't get the representation he was being billed for. In my case it was he didn't get the QUALITY he paid for

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #3042816
05/16/22 02:50 PM
05/16/22 02:50 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I hear from car friends and acquaintances being offered over market for collector cars at a Cruise-In or even at a stoplight.

These are tactics to "open the conversation" of selling a car that is not for sale. Typically they negotiate backwards after the car owner opened the idea of selling and can look at the car up close.

I think this guy is trying to do something similar. Once he got his deposit in, he totally changed attitudes and ramped up the pressure to close the deal. He is just choosing to work his way backwards AFTER he paid and took possession.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Dabee] #3042821
05/16/22 03:04 PM
05/16/22 03:04 PM
Fairview Tennessee
S
SV_MOPARS Offline
pro stock
SV_MOPARS  Offline
pro stock
S

Fairview Tennessee
Originally Posted by Dabee
Tell him to pound sand and block him. Just me but I’m old and grouchy. shocked

DITTO THAT! dabee im pretty sure you and me are cut from the same cloth, you post exactly what im thinking but usually beat me to it.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: SV_MOPARS] #3042832
05/16/22 04:07 PM
05/16/22 04:07 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Recently I've been talking to people about the high prices of cars. The higher the car cost the worst it is to deal with people. The last two cars I've bought were only seen on websites not in person and I didn't have any issues with the cars. However these weren't hemi cars and I talked to the sellers on the phone for a couple of hours. Sometimes we are to eager to make a sale and should say no you cannot buy it unless you come and see the car.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6