Eastern shore, New England
R
roadrunner69s Offline OP
pro stock
roadrunner69s  Offline OP
pro stock
R

In looking at crazy $40K prices for mudded up Dusters it brings me back to the late 1990's when I was going through a number of Mopars looking for the right one. I had a couple.
And the one I've missed the most was the simplest of them all. This bench seat, column shift, open rear, stripe delete...."passenger" car. It drove like a dream in 1996-1997 on the original points distributor and suspension.
51K miles when I got it....and 55K miles when I sold it to for $14,500 to South Carolina dealer Garry Garren. Galen offered me $12K. No collectors were really interested. I guess 'too much" money for that time for such a "simple" car.

It was ironic that 8 or 9 dealers/collectors owned the car from 1988-1996. Not one of them tried to get in contact with the original owner. I did... back when the state DMV's would actually give you the docs they had. I found a treasure trove
of paperwork including the original dealership paper work on the car.....and the original owner.....from Tennessee. I got in contact with Jim and he supplied me with even more history, photos, and paperwork going back to 1970.
I had essentially every document on that car from birth except the MSO.....about 50 pieces in all. Times sure have changed. I last saw the car listed for sale about 10 yrs ago for $35K-$40K....and the incorrect stripe put back on the car.....
after I had removed one when I first got it. At the time I sold it, the drive train was all original and pretty much most of the engine bay....I was always looking for original parts to better OEM detail the car.... (I still have the original neg batt cable...it was a bit
beat up on the head and didn't tighten well). Interior and trunk were basically all factory too. 90% orig paint as some touching up in the lower rockers and bottom of the inner/outer quarter spot weld areas.

The first time I brought the car to the Englishtown, NJ car show I was surprised at the somewhat low score this mostly original car received. I sought out the judge and he mentioned that I should "spruce up" the engine bay..
Give it some fresh paint as the engine, body, and radiator paint looked a little spotty. At that point I explained to him he was looking at an un-restored and still very nice engine bay. I wasn't about to mess it up with rattle can engine paint.
A couple months later the car was in the first ever Survivor's Exhibit at Carlisle (1997) being run by Mel Majors. Best car show I ever attended. The car was very well received there. The couple parked next to me
from NJ were the original owners of a tan/bronze '70/71 Cuda Convertible 6 pack with low miles (20K or 40K iirc)....at that time probably worth about $100K. Can't remember their names. Great people though.

When I removed the aftermarket stripe off the car I found a cheesy rusted through portion of the left mid-quarter under the stripe...about a 3" x 2" hunk of metal. My body guy cut it out, inserted a new piece, and blended it all back. Very hard to see the work.
I still own that 3x2 piece of charger red quarter panel. Sits in my garage. If some day the current owner contacts me....they can have that sheet metal and the original + battery cable. Somehow I forgot to include them in the sale of the car. IIRC the wood grain
wheel was something I added as well to give the interior a bit of pop. The original black padded wheel was ok but with a few cuts....maybe a crack too. I think that 2nd steering wheel did go with the car. Back then the wood wheel cost $225.

I wonder what Jim's car is worth today? ...........

IMG_6060.JPGIMG_6062.JPGIMG_6059.JPGIMG_6066.JPG
Last edited by roadrunner69s; 05/14/22 11:40 PM.
Re: 1969 Super Bee - where is it now - WIW? [Re: roadrunner69s] #3041966
05/13/22 10:42 AM
05/13/22 10:42 AM
Georgia
M
Matt M Offline
super stock
Matt M  Offline
super stock
M

Georgia
Thats a nice looking SB!

Re: 1969 Super Bee - where is it now - WIW? [Re: Matt M] #3042018
05/13/22 03:33 PM
05/13/22 03:33 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
master
SomeCarGuy  Offline
master
S

Someplace you aren't
Wow that’s an incredible hobby journey you had with it. Would be interesting to see how it held up a quarter century later.

I could see it pushing the 50k mark. I’m not sure the state of pricing as much as I was a year ago when I was in the hunt. I still see high asks, but I feel the economy is slipping more all the time.

I want my fair share
Re: 1969 Super Bee - where is it now - WIW? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3042029
05/13/22 03:57 PM
05/13/22 03:57 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Wow that’s an incredible hobby journey you had with it. Would be interesting to see how it held up a quarter century later.

I could see it pushing the 50k mark. I’m not sure the state of pricing as much as I was a year ago when I was in the hunt. I still see high asks, but I feel the economy is slipping more all the time.

No prices are slipping in the car market. I live and breathe it every day. Prices are crazy( talking used car and truck sales)

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3350 race weight
418 Bloomer headed stroker
Best so far, 10.71 at 124.48
1.44 best 60 foot.
6.76 at 101.63 best 1 /8

Re: 1969 Super Bee - where is it now - WIW? [Re: roadrunner69s] #3042363
05/14/22 07:46 PM
05/14/22 07:46 PM
R
robertop Offline
mopar
robertop  Offline
mopar
R

I know I am hypercritical, but blame many members on this site…. I have learned that on cars with original paint the bolts showing at the back of the front wheel opening should not be painted body color, but are black phosphate. I would not swear by it, though.

Re: 1969 Super Bee - where is it now - WIW? [Re: robertop] #3042405
05/14/22 11:04 PM
05/14/22 11:04 PM
R
roadrunner69s Offline OP
pro stock
roadrunner69s  Offline OP
pro stock
R

Originally Posted by robertop
I know I am hypercritical, but blame many members on this site…. I have learned that on cars with original paint the bolts showing at the back of the front wheel opening should not be painted body color, but are black phosphate. I would not swear by it, though.

I've owned 3 original paint 69 GTX/RR/SBees. That one orange bolt sticking out from FR wheel well does look "out of place." The other side of the car doesn't show it. On this particular car since it had some respray done in the lower quarters and rockers. So a spot here or there not the factory color wouldn't bother me much. But If knew for sure it was wrong, I would try to correct it best as possible. I recall searching junk yards in the 1990's to find missing parts for this car. I recalling finding the little rad caps that go over the exposed screws that hold either the deck lid panel or the tail light assemblies. This car still had the original "dotted" lug nuts still on the car.....and how the drum brakes were painted red and then put right on the car wet.......first time I realized there was a difference in things like that.

But along the way, that doesn't stop "rattle can" restorers from touching up things. I had orig photos of this Super Bee from 1970. Not sure where I put them or if they would show the areas you mentioned. You also had the application of factory or orig dealership undercoating which could interfere with parts painted body color. I never stated this car was 100% original paint so that little details might be wrong. At 80-90% original paint....there could be a number of things that were "touched up" post factory. And if that black phosphate bolt is indeed correct, ,then it would have had to been applied to the car after paint.

Another view.

IMG_6064.JPG
Last edited by roadrunner69s; 05/14/22 11:19 PM.