upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
Originally Posted by rarefish
Originally Posted by 70Duster
I don't think the brand matters as much as the installation and the complexity of the unit as far as longevity is concerned. If installed correctly, and you buy a unit on the lower end of the efficiency spectrum without all the variable speed motors and other complex circuit boards, you'll be fine. There are only a few manufacturers of compressors, condensers, evaporators and the associated fan motors, and they are used throughout all the brands. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Goodman unit if installed by a reputable dealer.

Very true...
The systems reliability is often only as good as the installer who puts it in.

True I am Still servicing Goodmans that I installed 25 years ago
Goodman was the least expensive manufacture and we wanted to be the least expensive installer to get into the market .
The problem is that a lot of least expensive installers are the least trained .
There is an influx of Goodman and Amana products and most anybody can buy them and it gives that product a bad rap .

I have tried to grown to install a name brand products that has excellent factory support
So yes in the end just be comfortable with your installer .

Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: sogtx] #3034829
04/18/22 08:35 PM
04/18/22 08:35 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
I'm not a huge fan of consumer reports with new cars but I used CR when researching HVACS and this is how I decided on American Standard.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: shanker] #3034835
04/18/22 08:42 PM
04/18/22 08:42 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by shanker
I'm going to agree with everyone who said that the installer is the most important aspect of the performance of the unit.

I had a brand new unit installed in April 2020 after spending the second half of 2019 shopping and evaluating vendors. I live on the gulf coast where humidity control is VERY important to me. I went with a Bryan Evolution (same as the Carrier Infinity system) with a 5 stage VFD compressor, 21 seer system. I have an 1800sqft 2 story house and had all new ductwork installed also.

I am INCREDIBLY happy with my unit and the install of it (I still haven't finished drywall though) I recommend doing as much research as you can set aside time for.

When it comes to goodman, they do make some good units, but think of them as the cheapest version of previous generation/technology levels of A/C systems. I looked at Rheem/Ruud, Trane, Carrier/Bryant, Goodman quotes. I came up with a list of wants such as de-humidification control, filtration, etc, then searched for the best HVAC installer that best designed a system that quoted what I wanted. Half of the companies out of the 14 or so I called, didn't even come thru with a quote or gave me a "go away / we don't want this job" quote as they make more money doing unit swap outs and repairs than they do complete system design & installs.

Humidity control is important even up here in WI. We have sticky summer nights where it may not be all that warm but very sticky. My AC wouldn't run based on temp so the house could get a little uncomfortable at night. My new Pro 1 t-stat will cycle the AC based on humidity and/or temp. Pretty excited to see how it works in cooling mode this summer....has worked awesome with heating this winter. Tons of tweaks and settings has helped keep the house way more comfy than the $50 Home Depot stat it replaced. Well worth the money! Wifi/Alexa.....tons of settings I've never heard of before.

Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: Dcuda69] #3034978
04/19/22 10:55 AM
04/19/22 10:55 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
I'm going to agree with everyone who said that the installer is the most important aspect of the performance of the unit.

I had a brand new unit installed in April 2020 after spending the second half of 2019 shopping and evaluating vendors. I live on the gulf coast where humidity control is VERY important to me. I went with a Bryan Evolution (same as the Carrier Infinity system) with a 5 stage VFD compressor, 21 seer system. I have an 1800sqft 2 story house and had all new ductwork installed also.

I am INCREDIBLY happy with my unit and the install of it (I still haven't finished drywall though) I recommend doing as much research as you can set aside time for.

When it comes to goodman, they do make some good units, but think of them as the cheapest version of previous generation/technology levels of A/C systems. I looked at Rheem/Ruud, Trane, Carrier/Bryant, Goodman quotes. I came up with a list of wants such as de-humidification control, filtration, etc, then searched for the best HVAC installer that best designed a system that quoted what I wanted. Half of the companies out of the 14 or so I called, didn't even come thru with a quote or gave me a "go away / we don't want this job" quote as they make more money doing unit swap outs and repairs than they do complete system design & installs.

Humidity control is important even up here in WI. We have sticky summer nights where it may not be all that warm but very sticky. My AC wouldn't run based on temp so the house could get a little uncomfortable at night. My new Pro 1 t-stat will cycle the AC based on humidity and/or temp. Pretty excited to see how it works in cooling mode this summer....has worked awesome with heating this winter. Tons of tweaks and settings has helped keep the house way more comfy than the $50 Home Depot stat it replaced. Well worth the money! Wifi/Alexa.....tons of settings I've never heard of before.

This is very important if you live in a warm climate. If the unit is too big it will cool too fast and not remove humidity and require a dehumidifier. Too small it won't heat good. Its a balancing act.

Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: second 70] #3035269
04/20/22 09:36 AM
04/20/22 09:36 AM
Corpus Christi, TX
shanker Offline
master
shanker  Offline
master

Corpus Christi, TX
Humidity control is why I'm a huge believer in VFD drive compressors, they can scale up or down based on need for cooling or humidification. I can look at the utilization on mine and in august when it's 95-98* outside, it's humming along at 25-40% and barely blowing out the registers making no noise and keeping the house at a constant temperature and keeping the humidity at the target of 48-54% even when it's 90%+ humidity outside.

my neighbor keeps his thermostat at 72-74 and I keep mine at 76-77 and he's always talking about how much cooler my house feels, I keep explaining its because the humidity is lower.

Last edited by shanker; 04/20/22 09:37 AM.

The Federal Government has not yet learned that you cannot legislate morality 1970 Coronet R/T FF4/FF8/V85/V1G 440/Auto/3.23 1970 Coronet R/T FK5/FK5/V8W/V1W 440/Auto/3.55 1970 Super Bee TX9/TX9/V8W/N96 383/Auto/3.91 1975 Duster 360 VS29L5 Daily Driver
Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: shanker] #3035336
04/20/22 01:05 PM
04/20/22 01:05 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Humidity control is why I'm a huge believer in VFD drive compressors, they can scale up or down based on need for cooling or humidification. I can look at the utilization on mine and in august when it's 95-98* outside, it's humming along at 25-40% and barely blowing out the registers making no noise and keeping the house at a constant temperature and keeping the humidity at the target of 48-54% even when it's 90%+ humidity outside.

my neighbor keeps his thermostat at 72-74 and I keep mine at 76-77 and he's always talking about how much cooler my house feels, I keep explaining its because the humidity is lower.

Yup. That's why the mini-splits work so well, VFD driven compressors. And extremely efficient for HVAC equipment.

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: IMGTX] #3035460
04/20/22 09:04 PM
04/20/22 09:04 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Thank you all for the information. Lots of great information to consider and review.

I am thinking of installing it myself because it is not beyond my abilities but I will factor in warranty with cost saving. Saving $10 to lose $100 down the road is not in my plan.

Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: shanker] #3035529
04/21/22 01:48 AM
04/21/22 01:48 AM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska

This is correct, just bite the bullet and have it installed if you go variable. I have a friend that owns a hvac company and he says you want the 10 year warranty with the variable because it will break and parts are expensive but the comfort level is fantastic. A normal system with a humidity control thermostat does not compare, just runs the house colder and colder, kind of a mind game.

Re: Buying an HVAC Unit. Suggestions.... [Re: 4406bbl] #3035664
04/21/22 11:22 AM
04/21/22 11:22 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Here we get extreme heat 100 plus high dew points but also some sub 0 weather. A year ago it was under 0 for 10 days straight. My friend just completed a brand new shop with extreme insulation and had a split mini installed. He was told and had to make a choice for a bigger unit that would have no trouble keeping the garage warm but would be really too big to keep humidity low because it would cool so easily it would hardly run. So he chose making sure to be warm and added a small humidifier.

Page 2 of 2 1 2