New Jersey
P
Powerflow Offline
pro stock
Powerflow  Offline
pro stock
P

New Jersey
It could also be a stuck Thermal Expansion Valve (TXV) that is preventing refrigerant flow and jamming the compressor.

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: Powerflow] #3034415
04/17/22 02:24 PM
04/17/22 02:24 PM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
The 35/5 should have done the trick if it was bad
Sometimes on real old compressors i put a booster on .
Fan runs or doesnt ??

5F649061-9164-41F7-959E-6AA6DE6BB4D1.jpeg
Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: sogtx] #3034456
04/17/22 04:58 PM
04/17/22 04:58 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Uh, oh. I assumed from your posts the fan was operating normally and the compressor wasn't. If the fan is still having problems this puts an entirely different light on the problem. I'd concentrate on the fan first. It's really simple, it's a permanent split capacitor motor.

Single Phase Motor Starting

The fan could not start without the capacitor, there would be only one winding energized. The fact that it will start but then stops, and then restarts sounds like either a capacitor problem or a connection problem. If you can get the fan to work, whatever you find will probably apply to the compressor also. I'd recommend disconnecting the compressor and working with the fan alone until you find out what's going on. Don't what to shell out the compressor with your troubleshooting efforts..

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: 6PakBee] #3034466
04/17/22 05:27 PM
04/17/22 05:27 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Okay Update time....

Initially the fan wouldn't spin and the compressor struggled.

I dug into it today and the Capacitor seems to have resolved/helped the Compressor problem. Coils are getting hot but airflow is low through the condenser.

The fan spins ok by hand. With the new capacitor the fan now starts slow but never gets full speed. Eventually it slows to a stop and the cycle begins again. When it stops the fan is hot hot hot. Compressor is cool (not hot or cold just cool).

I am beginning to think the Cap and the fan died at the same time. So you are correct to fix one problem and then the other. I am going to get a new fan this week and see if we are good to go. If not I will look harder at the compressor but hopefully it will be ok.

I am still going to get a whole new unit but I would rather shop ahead of the failure instead of in an emergency situation.

Thank you all for the help and advice. up

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: IMGTX] #3034482
04/17/22 06:17 PM
04/17/22 06:17 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
I still wouldn't rule out a bad cap. Especially if the fan isn't coming up to speed.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: MarkZ] #3034494
04/17/22 07:05 PM
04/17/22 07:05 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by MarkZ
I still wouldn't rule out a bad cap. Especially if the fan isn't coming up to speed.

iagree If the fan is working at all, the motor is probably fine. The fact that it's cycling still points to a capacitor problem or a poor connection problem.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: IMGTX] #3034499
04/17/22 07:21 PM
04/17/22 07:21 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Thank you all for the help.

I am beginning to wonder if the problem is something else because the fan turns, but starts slow. It never seems to reach full speed then after a while stops. After a little while starts the cycle again. The compressor just makes a constant struggling sound like it's working but not as correctly. I assumed since they are both on the same Capacitor it was the Capacitor. Now I wonder if they are suffering from low current/voltage or the compressor is failing and drawing so much current the fan is starved for power.

I'm going to check the voltage at points through the circuits, replace the fuses (just in case, even thought thy have continuity) and bypass the relay that turns the system on. Any other ideas? I do not have an A/C Ammeter but I will buy one if I need to.

Thanks again.

With the additional information
it points toward your 1/4 HP at 1075 RPM FASCO fan motor having developed a short in its winding
and opening its internal thermal protection switch as the electrical arc inside heats things up.

You might be able to smell the internal arc burning.

Pulling an old fan hub off an old motor shaft can inspire you to invent new curse words,
especially if you do not have the right puller and rust penetrant spray.

Sometimes it is better to just buy new hub and fan.

Lau parts makes a new super quiet fan design that also uses less power.
This fan series is called the Cobra Blade.
It looks like wild Klingon double bladed killing weapon.

Starting on page 23 here:

https://www.lauparts.com/-/media/la...2017BlowersPulleysWheels_REV08062020.pdf

A plain multimeter without a capacitance measuring position
can still be used with a clock that can measure seconds
to roughly find a capacitance value.
Google or youtube search for that.
You now have two “double” capacitor cases which have 4 capacitors that can be tested and compared with this method.

There is an old moparts post on doing this capacitance test with Harbor Freight “free” digital multimeters.

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: 360view] #3034561
04/17/22 10:58 PM
04/17/22 10:58 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by 360view
I would check the voltages at both fan motor and compressor,
before start,
during start up
and when motors seem near run speed rpm.

Since you have two separate motors it is a clue that BOTH show a slow start up that is a sign of low voltage at high amp start load.

Look for high resistance connections with “green death crud” and check fuses.

The Chinese made start capacitors do fail very frequently with short lives.
The “two capacitors in one case” seem to fail even more frequently.

The factory original USA made, with the now illegal PCB oil filled capacitor, on my Amana AC unit lasted from 1983 to 2011
but the Chinese capacitors seem to last 2-4 years, and the parts store clerks confirm this.
The made in Mexico capacitor now has lasted 5 years.

Definitely search on line for a copy of the manual for your unit with a wiring diagram, amp draws, freon pressures, etc.

There are a lot of scam manual sites online now, so use caution.

I found my Amana manual online at

https://www.manualslib.com

I had to replace ours for the first time last summer. The original did not say anywhere where it was made, nor does the replacement. The replacement is a TOTALINE brand which is the replacement components division for Carrier. It's a 40+5 MFD. Worked perfectly on our 16 year-old Goodman.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor question. [Re: Sammy] #3034619
04/18/22 10:33 AM
04/18/22 10:33 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Originally Posted by Sammy
Unit Label

I know it is oooold but I just want a few weeks to pick out a new system I want not it was the only one I could find right away.

Thanks

Never seen a bad capacitor make a fan not spin.
Compressor won't even try and start if the capacitor is bad.

Thats how ours went out. I thought it was strange too.

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor *Update* [Re: IMGTX] #3036326
04/23/22 02:16 PM
04/23/22 02:16 PM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Thank you all for the responses.

Today I finally had time to replace the Condenser fan and all is well.

Apparently the Capacitor and Fan went bad at the same time. After replacing the Capacitor, compressor & fan worked better but the fan was still bad.

All your help was much appreciated, without it I would still be in a pickle.

System is still crappy and old but your help bought me a month or two to pick the replacement system I want and not whatever I could get.

up

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor *Update* [Re: IMGTX] #3036350
04/23/22 03:04 PM
04/23/22 03:04 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Thank you all for the responses.

Today I finally had time to replace the Condenser fan and all is well.

Apparently the Capacitor and Fan went bad at the same time. After replacing the Capacitor, compressor & fan worked better but the fan was still bad.

All your help was much appreciated, without it I would still be in a pickle.

System is still crappy and old but your help bought me a month or two to pick the replacement system I want and not whatever I could get.

up

Depending on its age you might be better off fixing the old one. The new ones are cheaply made with thin copper tubes.

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor *Update* [Re: IMGTX] #3036515
04/24/22 08:23 AM
04/24/22 08:23 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

up

I am glad you found and fixed the problem.

Keep in mind with new HVAC systems:

1 The inside tubes of new evaporators and condensors have “cut spiral groves” that slightly save electricity but can greatly shorten the time before leaks come. Bad trade off.

2 Freon 410 is less efficient and as a mix of 2 gases more complex than older Freon 22 which is only available reclaimed and more expensive

3 New systems have more complex and costly parts and inherently harder to be reliable

4 New systems can be much quieter and dehumidify better

5 I am leaning toward two, three, four Minisplits rather than one central AC unit because
I do not want 100% of the cooling system down,
and I want to be able to use a smaller, quieter generator to run at least one cooling unit during sleep when the power is off.

Re: HVAC Start/Run Capacitor *Update* [Re: IMGTX] #3036571
04/24/22 12:30 PM
04/24/22 12:30 PM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

I agree the long term dependability of the old stuff is probably better but this unit is undersized for the house and always was.
Besides having an undersized AC unit, I have had to clean the gas burner heat exchanger several times of rust which means that heat exchanger is 30+ years old and on borrowed time.

On a plus side to this system, in 30 years I have had to replace the condenser motor and capacitor twice. I also had to rebuild the drain tray under the evaporator, replace the condensate pump twice, several thermocouples, and the house fan motor once. No single part was more than $90 and was easy to replace. I do not think a new system will be so kind and that is why I hate to see it go, but it is time. Nobody has parts books that include it anymore, so finding parts is problematic when the labels disintegrated years ago.

Even though installing a new one is easy enough, I may pay someone to install it for the extended warranty.

Thank you all again. up

Page 2 of 2 1 2