04/12/22 02:01 PM
04/12/22 02:01 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
Hey I do Paint and body work for a living. I got turned onto this wax a few years ago for fresh Paint. Stuff works great. I keep a gallon On hand. Did a black 55 ford crown vic that after I scuffed and buffed it applied it on the finish. Takes swirl marks out and comes off with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/Presta-32OZ-COMPL-Fast-PST-134132/dp/B00AZAESRG

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #3082798
10/03/22 12:48 PM
10/03/22 12:48 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Been busy working on my house all summer so the Dart has just been sitting. I just started working on it again so I thought I'd post a small update. I finally got the wiper motor back. I didn't think the factory yellow/gold zinc would look right in the engine compartment with the other custom stuff I'm doing so I had the barrel plated in black zinc. Black sealer was used on the wiring as well instead of the factory red/orange sealant. I like the look.
[Linked Image]

After that was installed I got all the linkage under the dash hooked up. Then I installed the front brake lines and distribution block. The master cylinder is in place for test fitment. I wasn't sure if the factory lines were going to work on the newer master but they will. It's a 15/16" bore unit from Dr Diff. The heater box was next. I remember fighting my Challenger box but this once slipped right in without a fuss.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Saturday night the dash went in. It's been 9 years since the dash was in the car. Next project is the engine compartment wiring harness...then work on getting the glass in the doors.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: burdar] #3082944
10/03/22 06:35 PM
10/03/22 06:35 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Nice work!

I totally agree with your color choices on the wiper motor. It provides nice visual continuity with the blower motor and master cylinder.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: DynoDave] #3084671
10/09/22 09:51 PM
10/09/22 09:51 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
RTSrunner Offline
top fuel
RTSrunner  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh,PA
Originally Posted by DynoDave
Nice work!

I totally agree with your color choices on the wiper motor. It provides nice visual continuity with the blower motor and master cylinder.

Agreed & that dash looks great!

Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: RTSrunner] #3088799
10/24/22 11:22 AM
10/24/22 11:22 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
The mirrors, door handles and locks are in. Dad came over and gave me a hand putting the vent window/side windows in the doors last week. I was not looking forward to that but it actually went pretty quickly/easily. This past spring I sent the vent window pivots off for re-chroming. I got an estimate back from the platers that it was going to cost $700. That wasn't going to happen so I started looking for some really nice factory replacements. A few people online said they had some but pictures that were sent were hard to tell their true condition. I've been burned in the past when 1 person says a part is nice...then I receive said part and it's anything but nice. In the end I sanded down the chrome on my original pivots and had them powder coated semi-gloss black. I think they will look OK since the vent window rubber seal is black. I see a lot of A-bodies with badly pitted chrome pivots at shows. This will at least look better then that.
[Linked Image]

Saturday morning I installed the inner fender splash shields. I had to take the 2 studs/nuts loose at the bottom of the fenders to get them slid into place. I also found that they were easier to install without the upper rubber seal in place. Once everything was adjusted and bolted in place, I re-installed the upper rubber seal.
[Linked Image]

Then I started masking the car in preparation for spraying the undercoating. This was my first attempt at spraying undercoating and it was interesting to say the least. I should have masked off the UCA/upper shock mount area but I didn't. I thought I'd be able to direct the spray around the area. Needless to say, I got some overspray around that area but it is what it is I guess. The undercoating gun didn't come with a cup so I bought a bottle of 3M body schutz and used that as a base. Then I poured RestoRick's undercoating into that bottle and sprayed it over the top. 1 bottle of the 3M body schutz did a medium coat on 3 wheel wells. I used around 35 psi for the 3m product. That was way too high of a pressure for the RestoRick undercoating. My first pass with that stuff just flew out of the gun and layed out completely smooth. After lowering the psi to 20-25, it started spraying out like undercoating should look. The rear wheel wells look good. The back of the front wheel wells look good. I'm a little thin on the front sections behind the headlight and down the fender in-front of the tire. I might go back and spray another coat in those areas.

[Linked Image]

Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: burdar] #3089762
10/27/22 09:51 PM
10/27/22 09:51 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Looks good.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: DynoDave] #3097939
11/28/22 09:49 PM
11/28/22 09:49 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I installed the leaf springs and rear axle assembly at the beginning of November. Storing it in the basement wasn't one of my best ideas. With a 2-wheeled dolly and my wife's help, we managed to get it up the stairs. I was actually able to get a 15" wheel to clear the 11.7" Dr Diff brakes with about 1/2" worth of washers on the outside of the rotors. That will work nicely to be able to push the car around the garage. Otherwise it would be stuck on jack stands. Still need to figure something out for front rollers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then a few weeks ago I had some buddies over and we got the engine/trans installed. Before the engine went it though we swapped out the 3500 stall converter for something a little more street friendly and primed the engine.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once the engine was in I measured my pinion angle. It looked like the pinion was WAY too high. I was afraid the spring pads had been welded on wrong. We jacked up the back of the car(under the rear end) until an angle gauge on the trans output shaft read 0*. Then I put the angle gauge on the rear end yoke. Surprisingly it also read 0*. A small 2* shim is all I'll need to get the pinion angle to -2*. Once that was done I measured for my driveshaft length. I previously cleaned up a C-body shaft that I was going to have cut down to size. After calling a local driveline company for a quote, and realizing how much that has gone up in price, I started looking at other options. I ended up finding a place that made me a brand new shaft(balanced with new joints) for only $60 more than cutting an old shaft down.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not sure why I keep having issues with E-brake cables but I do. IIRC to get my Challenger E-brake hooked up it took a combination of stock, Finelines and Inline Tube parts. The Dart rear cables are from Dr Diff. Looking back at pictures before disassembly, the rear cables seem to be in the correct spot. The front cable however is way too long. I fabbed up a spacer in order to get it working. I'm not really interested in buying a new cable unless it's the only option.
[Linked Image]

Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: burdar] #3097948
11/28/22 10:36 PM
11/28/22 10:36 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Then this past week I got the center console and steering column installed. I started with the console carpet by gluing it in place. That didn't work out the best so I ended up peeling it back off. I read that some people have had better luck using Velcro so I gave that a try. It actually worked a lot easier then the glue for me and you can't even tell.

I was worried at first that I wasn't going to be able to get the console in with the added tach and aftermarket shifter. Every time it had been test fit previously, the dash wasn't installed so I could just set it down in place. Now that the dash is in it wasn't so easy. In order to get it in I had to remove the ash tray from the dash, remove the lockout lever from the shifter, have the shift handle in a certain position and finally, shove the tach under the dash sideways with the tail end way in the air. Then rotate it into place. It's very tight but it fits. Luckily the steering column basically just fell into place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had to shove a battery in it just to see if the dash lighting all worked. It did NOT. There was an issue with the map light and the shift indicator light. After probing some connections with a test light and trying incandescent bulbs in place of the LEDs I found the issue. The factory Mopar wiring has the + wire on the side of the bulb(the bulb body) and the - wire on the bottom "pin" of the bulb. This works fine for an incandescent but not for an LED. The map light was an easy fix. I just pulled the wires out of the "T" connector and swapped them. Now the + is going to the bottom "pin" on the bulb and the - is on the side body of the bulb. The shift indicator bulb wasn't as easy. The bulb socket doesn't have terminal ends that can be removed. The easiest solution was to cut the 2 wires under the console and splice them back together reversed.
[Linked Image]

Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: burdar] #3098739
12/01/22 06:52 PM
12/01/22 06:52 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Good looking car.
years ago I had B5 with white 1969 Dart GT conv.

simple 318 car . But I liked it. A LOT.

Midwest rust took its toll on it though.
I ended up parting it out and sent the shell to the crusher

Re: 68 Dart GT convertible [Re: gtx6970] #3099868
12/05/22 04:24 PM
12/05/22 04:24 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Nice work burdar!

Your description of lugging that axle up the stairs made my back hurt! grin