04/12/22 10:18 AM
04/12/22 10:18 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Does anyone know if a Faria current triggered tach (tach wired in series with the coil on a point ignition) will work with the Chrysler electronic ignition?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3032925
04/12/22 03:21 PM
04/12/22 03:21 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Been a very long time but I think mine would not work with any electronic.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3033019
04/12/22 09:32 PM
04/12/22 09:32 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
shruggy Some info here LINKY

might try GOOGLING wink
I do know that a commonly sold electronic ignition adapter for a Sun distributor machine is nothing more than an HEI module in an overpriced black box whistling DAMHIK (butthurt) ozbbq

Last edited by TJP; 04/12/22 09:38 PM.
Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3033072
04/13/22 08:30 AM
04/13/22 08:30 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
I don't see why it wouldn't work if you wired it that way. It does add quite a bit of wire to the ignition feed.

At the coil negative, there is little difference between the Chrysler points and Chrysler electronic ignition.
In the first the current is allowed to flow through when the points are closed, in the latter when the solid state switch closes.

On feed side, current is controlled the same way in both. The resistance to flow created by the ballast resistor and coil's primary windings. This varies a little with temeprature and provides a range of current based on conditions.
Transistorized used a 0.5 ohm resistor, and the points systems varied but usually around .6 ohms or so,

HEI has an internal current limiter controlling the flow and my understand is also changes with conditions (rpm), at least in some.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: TJP] #3033076
04/13/22 08:54 AM
04/13/22 08:54 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP

might try GOOGLING wink
I do know that a commonly sold electronic ignition adapter for a Sun distributor machine is nothing more than an HEI module in an overpriced black box whistling DAMHIK (butthurt) ozbbq

Some info here? Let's see, MSD, HEI, Petronics Flame Thrower III & Igniter III....maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about a Mopar electronic ignition on this AMC board..... and this is a Mopar board. But maybe I'd have better luck asking this question on an International Harvester forum. What do you think about that?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3033163
04/13/22 01:49 PM
04/13/22 01:49 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by TJP

might try GOOGLING wink

Some info here? Let's see, MSD, HEI, Petronics Flame Thrower III & Igniter III....maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about a Mopar electronic ignition on this AMC board..... and this is a Mopar board. But maybe I'd have better luck asking this question on an International Harvester forum. What do you think about that?

OK, I'll refrain from trying to help you in the future What do YOU think about that ? BTW there was a bit of info in there that you blew right by beer

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: TJP] #3033441
04/14/22 09:29 AM
04/14/22 09:29 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

might try GOOGLING wink

OK, I'll refrain from trying to help you in the future What do YOU think about that ? BTW there was a bit of info in there that you blew right by beer

Knock yourself out. Being a smarta@@ with "might try GOOGLING" is help? With the kind of help you provided I am no further ahead than I was before you "helped". So please, carry on.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3033505
04/14/22 12:19 PM
04/14/22 12:19 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Knock yourself out. Being a smarta@@ with "might try GOOGLING" is help? With the kind of help you provided I am no further ahead than I was before you "helped". So please, carry on.

Wasn't tryin to be a smart --- but rather helpful. I don't have the time to do all the research required to solve your issue. But others have faced it and it appears solvable with effort and research. hence my comment on the sun adapter whistling
But your firing back in the manner you did really was uncalled for. Good luck with your dilemma wink

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: TJP] #3033513
04/14/22 12:46 PM
04/14/22 12:46 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP

Wasn't tryin to be a smart --- but rather helpful. I don't have the time to do all the research required to solve your issue. But others have faced it and it appears solvable with effort and research. hence my comment on the sun adapter whistling
But your firing back in the manner you did really was uncalled for. Good luck with your dilemma wink

Really? When someone sarcastically comments "might try GOOGLING", I'm supposed to just let that go? If you didn't know the answer to a question you have three choices 1) say nothing, 2) say you can't help, 3) relay what you do know about the subject that may be of value. But "might try GOOGLING", with Google in all caps, fits into none of the three.
wave

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3033672
04/14/22 10:04 PM
04/14/22 10:04 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

Really? When someone sarcastically comments "might try GOOGLING", I'm supposed to just let that go? If you didn't know the answer to a question you have three choices 1) say nothing, 2) say you can't help, 3) relay what you do know about the subject that may be of value. But "might try GOOGLING", with Google in all caps, fits into none of the three.
wave

you seem to be fixed on the "might try GOOGLING" comment blowing by my #3 comments
I do know that a commonly sold electronic ignition adapter for a Sun distributor machine is nothing more than an HEI module in an overpriced black box
And the forum I directed you to did have commentary on the problem you'll likely be facing. I found that by GOOGLING Faria tachometers. It's simple and if you spent as much time GOOGLING the subjetc as you have trying to slam me on the GOOGLING comment you'd likely be further ahead. If you had said you needed further help understanding the electrical part I would've been more than happy to help, but that's not the case sorry you took it as offensive, your issues, not mine wave

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: TJP] #3033728
04/15/22 08:11 AM
04/15/22 08:11 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
I never heard of a "Faria Tachometer" so googled it. Then googled it for the wiring and found this. Looks like it should work and googling is not a bad thing but i would look up the manufactures info first. That's just me and my $.02

[Linked Image]

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: Moparite] #3033733
04/15/22 08:35 AM
04/15/22 08:35 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Moparite
I never heard of a "Faria Tachometer" so googled it. Then googled it for the wiring and found this. Looks like it should work and googling is not a bad thing but i would look up the manufactures info first. That's just me and my $.02

[Linked Image]

Thanks for some real help. The situation with current actuated tachs is that they depend on the current waveform through the primary lead to the coil. They have few active components in their circuitry, they are basically current transformers with an RC/zener circuit to clip and modify the output into an analog voltage that feeds the meter movement. I know what the waveform for a points ignition looks like but I cannot find what the waveform is for the supply to a Mopar electronic ignition. And I haven't found it after hours of GOOGLING it. The HEI adapter seems to be the best bet at this point.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: Moparite] #3033799
04/15/22 11:21 AM
04/15/22 11:21 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Faria is commonly found in marine applications, but they make a lot of instruments for other stuff too.. They still exist and still make a crap load of dash gauges. They also offer a rebuild service to recondition older gauges. They have a whole link of technical tuff on their site, including phone numbers.

https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/home.php

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: TC@HP2] #3033921
04/15/22 07:52 PM
04/15/22 07:52 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Faria is commonly found in marine applications, but they make a lot of instruments for other stuff too.. They still exist and still make a crap load of dash gauges. They also offer a rebuild service to recondition older gauges. They have a whole link of technical tuff on their site, including phone numbers.

https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/home.php

Thank you. up

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3034040
04/16/22 08:24 AM
04/16/22 08:24 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere

Thanks for some real help. The situation with current actuated tachs is that they depend on the current waveform through the primary lead to the coil. They have few active components in their circuitry, they are basically current transformers with an RC/zener circuit to clip and modify the output into an analog voltage that feeds the meter movement. I know what the waveform for a points ignition looks like but I cannot find what the waveform is for the supply to a Mopar electronic ignition. And I haven't found it after hours of GOOGLING it. The HEI adapter seems to be the best bet at this point.

I googled it, well actually DDG. First link listed had your waeform.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...-pickup-polarity-and-rotor-phase.441771/

Might try honing your googlefu. Phrase I used was "mopar electronic ignition waveform"

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: Sniper] #3034043
04/16/22 08:39 AM
04/16/22 08:39 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Sniper

I googled it, well actually DDG. First link listed had your waeform.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...-pickup-polarity-and-rotor-phase.441771/

Might try honing your googlefu. Phrase I used was "mopar electronic ignition waveform"

I think at this point [Linked Image]. Thanks for the help but I already found that. What that covers is the waveform from the distributor pickup, not the waveform in the coil circuit. So while it's interesting, it's not the answer. So I would prefer this thread end now. I'll figure something out.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: 6PakBee] #3034069
04/16/22 09:56 AM
04/16/22 09:56 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere

I think at this point [Linked Image]. Thanks for the help but I already found that. What that covers is the waveform from the distributor pickup, not the waveform in the coil circuit. So while it's interesting, it's not the answer. So I would prefer this thread end now. I'll figure something out.

https://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: Sniper] #3034305
04/17/22 07:51 AM
04/17/22 07:51 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Those are waveforms showing the secondary voltage.

Current for the tach will be on the coil's primary wiring. I beleive my description of the primary side waveform is essentially correct.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: Mattax] #3034313
04/17/22 08:29 AM
04/17/22 08:29 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline OP
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline OP
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Mattax

Current for the tach will be on the coil's primary wiring. I beleive my description of the primary side waveform is essentially correct.

Sorry, I missed your post, got lost in all the noise. blush Well, you can't hurt one of those tachs unless you pass full voltage to ground through it so if my project comes to pass I'll give it a whirl.

Re: Faria Tachometer [Re: Mattax] #3034317
04/17/22 08:52 AM
04/17/22 08:52 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Online content
master
Sniper  Online Content
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Mattax

Maybe the OP can google a cheap USB oscope and sort it out himself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2