Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Looking for some input in my intake dilemma/saga. I picked up a 07' 5.7 forged (boost ready) longblock from a car to swap into my a-body, sans intake (it was running a roots blower) and had a used COMPLETE truck pre eagle 5.7 procharger setup fall into my lap around the same time...Got myself a Holley Terminator EFI on Black Friday to control it all. In keeping with the budget theme on this build, I also have a pre Eagle 5.7 truck core engine from years ago that I was going to use as a core to convert my timing cover and accessories over onto the new engine, as well as use the truck intake to mate up perfectly with the procharger- The procharger kit has a cool little hat that goes right up to the stock throttle body spot on the 5.7 truck intake (the throttle body is on top of the manifold). My problem however now becomes with the manifold and throttle body- it seems that all of the adapters out there to convert to using a cable driven throttle body on these hemi intakes do NOT work with the early truck manifolds (I have spoken to manufacturers and some who claim to have tried, and they confirmed this).

So now I thought about using something aftermarket that I would bolt a cable driven LS style TB to (Holley Hi Ram, Sniper, or Prefix single plane with an elbow and single blade throttle body) but my problem then becomes port alignment- my longblock is using thitek ported pre eagle heads, but I am not sure if the port shape is now enlarged to Eagle Spec or not. In any case, I figured I would use intake spacer adapters as I had heard they exist as I know all of these aftermarket intakes are to be used with Eagle head 5.7s, but now finding those adapters seems hard as well...atleast in the few places I looked because I thought they existed.

So now I am back to thinking about using a factory style intake, even if not the original early 5.7 truck intake, but potentially even a car 5.7 intake from an pre eagle engine, if it will work with the truck timing cover in the front and with the passenger side mounted procharger. Maybe there are other factory intake options that can work as well with the truck cover and be okay for port alignment with my heads, but I really don't know.

I am looking to you guys....maybe some of you have some experience you can shed some light on with this for me, or have gone through something similar with what does and doesn't work. I am all ears at this point, as I have most of the planned setup ironed out at this point other than this and its starting to drive me nuts.

Thanks

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: mshred] #3029801
04/01/22 10:25 PM
04/01/22 10:25 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
I have not done it, but wouldn't the simplest route be a small spacer to get the cable driven TB of your choice to bolt to the early truck manifold?
There was a guy on here use a car manifold with truck front, took some grinding was all.

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: furious70] #3029990
04/02/22 02:45 PM
04/02/22 02:45 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Originally Posted by furious70
I have not done it, but wouldn't the simplest route be a small spacer to get the cable driven TB of your choice to bolt to the early truck manifold?
There was a guy on here use a car manifold with truck front, took some grinding was all.

I think you might have missed that part in my long azz post lol.

The adapter plate will not work with early truck intakes...that would definitely be the easiest, and was my actual plan. However, it apparently does not fit properly and thus a cable driven throttle body does not work properly.

The car manifold was a 5.7 or 6.1 manifold?

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: mshred] #3030137
04/03/22 02:13 AM
04/03/22 02:13 AM
Finland
J
Jousi Offline
Jousi  Offline
J

Finland
Did you check FAST throttle body adapters? I have their 92mm Big Mouth cable driven throttle body and adapter plate on my engine, 2005 truck intake.

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: mshred] #3030155
04/03/22 08:05 AM
04/03/22 08:05 AM
Toronto Ontario, Can
Glen440 Offline
pro stock
Glen440  Offline
pro stock

Toronto Ontario, Can
Depends how creative you want to get. I modified the stock throttle body to take the original throttle cable and a lokar TV cable for the transmission. I welded a splined shaft onto the shaft of the throttle body, it uses the stock TPS. I had to make my own IAC which does not work the best when its cold. When its warm its fine. I have not looked into aftermarket throttle bodies, I worked with what I had.
I'm likely not far from you, work in Toronto.
[Linked Image]

87 dakota 6.1 hemi
Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: Jousi] #3030177
04/03/22 10:18 AM
04/03/22 10:18 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Originally Posted by Jousi
Did you check FAST throttle body adapters? I have their 92mm Big Mouth cable driven throttle body and adapter plate on my engine, 2005 truck intake.

Do you have a picture? Or a part number for the adapter? Pm me or email me the photos if easier....I looked up and down for something that could work and the only adapter I found says not compatible for 03-05 trucks. Unless this is just a throttle body that you bolted right up that didn't require an adapter?

Also, what did you do for a throttle cable setup?

Last edited by mshred; 04/03/22 10:21 AM.
Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: Glen440] #3030182
04/03/22 10:32 AM
04/03/22 10:32 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Originally Posted by Glen440
Depends how creative you want to get. I modified the stock throttle body to take the original throttle cable and a lokar TV cable for the transmission. I welded a splined shaft onto the shaft of the throttle body, it uses the stock TPS. I had to make my own IAC which does not work the best when its cold. When its warm its fine. I have not looked into aftermarket throttle bodies, I worked with what I had.
I'm likely not far from you, work in Toronto.
[Linked Image]

Thats a pretty genius setup! To be honest, I don't mind spending a bit of money if it will be easier and actually WORK. The procharger setup I have is meant to work perfectly with this truck intake that I also have on my core motor, its just a matter of getting a throttle body setup for it that could work.

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: mshred] #3030204
04/03/22 11:37 AM
04/03/22 11:37 AM
Finland
J
Jousi Offline
Jousi  Offline
J

Finland
Originally Posted by mshred

Do you have a picture? Or a part number for the adapter? Pm me or email me the photos if easier....I looked up and down for something that could work and the only adapter I found says not compatible for 03-05 trucks. Unless this is just a throttle body that you bolted right up that didn't require an adapter?

I checked the F.A.S.T webshop, but seems like they don´t sell anymore full EFI kits for pre Eagle Hemi´s, but this is the same one which came in the kit with throttle body:
http://www.westcoastoffshore.ca/FAS...-5761l-Hemi-92mm-Only-112001-P10189.aspx
My assembly happend at 2010, so no invoice or part number left to confirm... It might be that I had to trim the bottom of the adapter for just a bit.
Here are couple links for the pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NL74J8UtemeWsQsc6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/doMoSrBte5cQdtDD7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E399LjLEf5buQdpq6

Last edited by Jousi; 04/03/22 11:39 AM.
Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: Jousi] #3030248
04/03/22 01:23 PM
04/03/22 01:23 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto

I checked the F.A.S.T webshop, but seems like they don´t sell anymore full EFI kits for pre Eagle Hemi´s, but this is the same one which came in the kit with throttle body:
My assembly happend at 2010, so no invoice or part number left to confirm... It might be that I had to trim the bottom of the adapter for just a bit.

Thank you for the pics! Did you fab up that throttle cable bracket yourself on the manifold?

It looks like the throttle body part number on yours doesn't exist anymore. FAST does sell this, which they say works well for factory hemi intake manifolds. I may have to contact them to see if it works even on the truck manifold. Otherwise its adapter and then an LS throttle body for me.

https://www.fuelairspark.com/chrysler-hemi-big-mouth-lt-87mm-throttle-body-w-iac-tps.html

Looks like I will be taking the intake off my core motor to get it on the bench and see whats going on with it shortly.

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: mshred] #3030253
04/03/22 01:37 PM
04/03/22 01:37 PM
Finland
J
Jousi Offline
Jousi  Offline
J

Finland

Thank you for the pics! Did you fab up that throttle cable bracket yourself on the manifold?

It looks like the throttle body part number on yours doesn't exist anymore. FAST does sell this, which they say works well for factory hemi intake manifolds. I may have to contact them to see if it works even on the truck manifold. Otherwise its adapter and then an LS throttle body for me.

https://www.fuelairspark.com/chrysler-hemi-big-mouth-lt-87mm-throttle-body-w-iac-tps.html

Looks like I will be taking the intake off my core motor to get it on the bench and see whats going on with it shortly.

Yes, cable is just some random junkyard (Toyota?) part and bracket also. Good luck for your quest and project!

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: Jousi] #3030386
04/03/22 08:02 PM
04/03/22 08:02 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto

Yes, cable is just some random junkyard (Toyota?) part and bracket also. Good luck for your quest and project!

Oh, its not a factory Mopar one? What car do you have this installed in if you don't mind me asking. I am still hoping that my factory cable will somehow be able to work so long as I can make up a bracket.

Re: Need Input and Ideas- Early 5.7 Intake Options [Re: mshred] #3030455
04/04/22 12:12 AM
04/04/22 12:12 AM
Finland
J
Jousi Offline
Jousi  Offline
J

Finland

Oh, its not a factory Mopar one? What car do you have this installed in if you don't mind me asking. I am still hoping that my factory cable will somehow be able to work so long as I can make up a bracket.

Barracuda 1971.