03/30/22 04:37 PM
03/30/22 04:37 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Just a heads up to other online sellers that aren't familiar with this simple scam.

Basically someone uses the correct BILLING address and info from a stolen credit card (or EVEN a known persons/friends credit card who's in on the scam). They then SHIP to a different address than the billing address. After the package is delivered, the credit card holder claims a 'fraudulent purchase" to the credit card company. Since it wasn't shipped to the billing address YOU LOSE.

The fix is to ONLY ship to the billing address, I see many companies are doing this now. It's only gonna get worse.

Glad I'm closer to the end than the beginning!

PS APARTMENTS have become a black hole. Shipments to apartments WERE the majority of my "it didn't arrive" thefts. Not making a moral judgment just not shipping to apartments anymore (or PO boxes unless that's the billing address).

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: 71TA] #3029030
03/30/22 05:38 PM
03/30/22 05:38 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
That sucks in 2 ways. One naturally for the business but I have been doing restoration work for years and have always if having a customer that wants to buy their own parts save the time of bringing them by the shop to just have them shipped direct to the shop with either them buying the parts with their cards or have even had a few that just gave me the card to order the parts up to have them shipped here. Imagine thanks to the low life's that are pulling this crap that will make things tougher on our end now too. Sorry you have been bitten by them.

corey

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #3029053
03/30/22 07:46 PM
03/30/22 07:46 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
It really is time to make examples of a few of those a-holes, in the manner of horse thieves in the 1800s...
I get scam emails & texts all the time - Racing Junk is #1 on that hit parade.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: 71TA] #3029073
03/30/22 08:55 PM
03/30/22 08:55 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
A coupe of years back I had some A hole buy about 7K worth of BB ford parts using my account on Summit and shipping them to a legit address in W St. Louis.
Nobody really seemed to be overly concerned including Summit. they said the purchases were cleared by their insurance so they would be reimbursed. So NO HARM NO FOUL,
I was like WT-O???
My card was credited back and they supposedly put a note on the account not to ship to alternate addresses. I believe I knew how it may have happened and who was involved. Even called the PD (small town) Nothing, nada. shruggy

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #3029079
03/30/22 09:33 PM
03/30/22 09:33 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by hotairballoonpilot
That sucks in 2 ways. One naturally for the business but I have been doing restoration work for years and have always if having a customer that wants to buy their own parts save the time of bringing them by the shop to just have them shipped direct to the shop with either them buying the parts with their cards or have even had a few that just gave me the card to order the parts up to have them shipped here. Imagine thanks to the low life's that are pulling this crap that will make things tougher on our end now too. Sorry you have been bitten by them.

corey

I will ship to resto shops I recognize. Or if I don't recognize a shop I'll verify it is a real business (USPHONEBOOK.COM is one of the best verifications) and call the (billing address) buyer to confirm. PIA but not the customers fault. Still, as a last resort I go by my gut feeling and at 59 it's pretty accurate. Had a young guy today buying stuff and shipping to his parents house. Both billing and ship to phone numbers and names matched his last name. I called and spoke to him. Again, PIA but not his fault.

One theft today a guy bought just $25 of the 72-80 side marker lenses. Billing, a gal in Texas, ship to was a guys name and PO box in Missouri. The tracking shows "person picked up" - probably cause the box didn't fit in their smal po box. I thought about contacting the Postal Police but doubt they'd put some lumps on this guys head over such a small amount.

I had 7 orders with different billing/shipto addresses out of 300. One was shipping to Finer Details. One the young guy above. One was the fraudulent one that the gal from Texas actually called me. Other 4 I refunded.

Last edited by 71TA; 03/30/22 09:37 PM.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: 71TA] #3029087
03/30/22 10:26 PM
03/30/22 10:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I'm pissed off at both the scammers AND the people or companies who won't ship to different addresses. I often order stuff shipped to a different address. I'm in Canada. I can save a bundle by having stuff shipped to a depot just across the border in the U.S.. With covid basically shutting down the border I've had stuff shipped to a friend's address in Boston - which he'll eventually bring across on a visit. I also have stuff shipped to FedEx or UPS depots or my hotel if I'm at a show like Carlisle. So my bottom line is: if you want my business you'll ship it where I damn well tell you to or I'll find somewhere else to spend my money.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: Stanton] #3029107
03/31/22 06:05 AM
03/31/22 06:05 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

I haven't done it in a long time, but when I had high dollar stuff shipped to me, I would ship it to work.
I remember you could add a alternate address to your credit card so it would be considered a legit shipping address to your card.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: Andrewh] #3029120
03/31/22 08:14 AM
03/31/22 08:14 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by Andrewh
I haven't done it in a long time, but when I had high dollar stuff shipped to me, I would ship it to work.
I remember you could add a alternate address to your credit card so it would be considered a legit shipping address to your card.

Great idea! Hadn't heard of that.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: Stanton] #3029124
03/31/22 08:37 AM
03/31/22 08:37 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Stanton
I'm pissed off at both the scammers AND the people or companies who won't ship to different addresses. I often order stuff shipped to a different address. I'm in Canada. I can save a bundle by having stuff shipped to a depot just across the border in the U.S.. With covid basically shutting down the border I've had stuff shipped to a friend's address in Boston - which he'll eventually bring across on a visit. I also have stuff shipped to FedEx or UPS depots or my hotel if I'm at a show like Carlisle. So my bottom line is: if you want my business you'll ship it where I damn well tell you to or I'll find somewhere else to spend my money.

Or you can do without.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: Sniper] #3029129
03/31/22 09:30 AM
03/31/22 09:30 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
That's the bottom line and the point Jim was getting to I think. If crooks are taking advantage of the ability to have items shipped to a different address then successfully saying they didn't get it so they can get their money refunded, then sellers are going to stop shipping to alternative addresses so they won't get robbed. Don't get mad at the sellers, get mad at the scammers for ruining it for everyone, and the credit card companies for not being more diligent in trying to catch people playing this game, and for not having them prosecuted.
Between issues with shippers losing or damaging packages, and scammers taking advantage of every dishonest scheme they can come up with, I don't envy what businesses have to try to cope with these days with sales. I wouldn't want to do it, and you have to wonder if this will continue the decrease in numbers of small businesses. Pretty soon we may see a day where Amazon, with their own fleet of delivery trucks and whatever forms of payment they feel most secure with, is the only game in town for buying anything online.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: Mastershake340] #3029134
03/31/22 09:56 AM
03/31/22 09:56 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Just had another scam pop up today! Ugh. This is what they look like...

If you Google online fraud its SCARY how many potential problems there are. So in the order below. I not only lost the parts. The time. The shipping. The money. AND the credit card company charges ME a $15 fee and upto a $400 fee if I dispute and lose. But some people actually tell me its "part of doing business". People working a job dont get robbed daily. Or their paycheck isn't a few hundred dollars short on Friday. Bet THEY'D be a bit more sympathetic smile

From one fraud prevention website (I've had this happen. You get a call, "why was my package delivered to a different city?!?!")....
"scammers take advantage of data lag times and disconnects between merchants and shipping companies. They place rush orders to an address that cannot receive a delivery. After several attempts, the shipping company will flag the order as undeliverable. The scammer then contacts the shipping company to reroute the order to a deliverable address. The scammer initiates a chargeback, taking advantage of the fact that, because of the aforementioned disconnect between the merchant and the shipping company, the merchant will be unable to provide proof that the shipment was delivered."

fraud.jpg
Last edited by 71TA; 03/31/22 10:05 AM.

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: Stanton] #3029168
03/31/22 11:57 AM
03/31/22 11:57 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Stanton

If you're good enough friends with them, have them buy the part, reimburse them, and they can still deliver wink

Re: To other online sellers - fraud info [Re: TJP] #3029181
03/31/22 12:22 PM
03/31/22 12:22 PM
In the Middle
roadntrack Offline
super stock
roadntrack  Offline
super stock

In the Middle
Any similar problems using PayPal ??

Remember when cars were FUN?