hudson valley n.y.
G
GEORGE68HEMIRR Offline OP
super street
GEORGE68HEMIRR  Offline OP
super street
G

hudson valley n.y.
does this stuff work and make you engine run cooler??

Re: water wetter [Re: GEORGE68HEMIRR] #302789
04/29/09 07:13 AM
04/29/09 07:13 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
It made no difference in mine, some swear by it though.

Re: water wetter [Re: justinp61] #302790
04/29/09 07:27 AM
04/29/09 07:27 AM
hudson valley n.y.
G
super street
super street
G

hudson valley n.y.
Quote:

It made no difference in mine, some swear by it though.

same here but it may be running hotter......200/210 yesterday...85/90 degrees out

Re: water wetter [Re: GEORGE68HEMIRR] #302791
04/29/09 07:51 AM
04/29/09 07:51 AM
Blue Ridge, VA
Plumb Wired Offline
master
Plumb Wired  Offline
master

Blue Ridge, VA
Can't swear to the temp reduction, I use it as a rust inhibitor since antifreeze is a no no.

Mike Gray

RIP Monte Smith

aka: OutlawFish
'98 Bickel Dodge Dakota PST
Re: water wetter [Re: GEORGE68HEMIRR] #302792
04/29/09 07:53 AM
04/29/09 07:53 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Purple Ice actually does work..

I tried both and the Purple Ice did what it was supposed to do..

Chris..

Re: water wetter [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #302793
04/29/09 08:29 AM
04/29/09 08:29 AM
hudson valley n.y.
G
super street
super street
G

hudson valley n.y.
Quote:

Purple Ice actually does work..

I tried both and the Purple Ice did what it was supposed to do..

Chris.. [/quote
this was that red line stuff....i dumped 2 in there since it said up to 20 quarts.....i guess i will have to get some purple ice and see what happens....thanks

Re: water wetter [Re: GEORGE68HEMIRR] #302794
04/29/09 08:39 AM
04/29/09 08:39 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Purple Ice is by Royal Purple..

You can get it at NAPA..

Chris..

Re: water wetter [Re: Plumb Wired] #302795
04/29/09 08:52 AM
04/29/09 08:52 AM
Jacksonville, NC
RonP Offline
top fuel
RonP  Offline
top fuel

Jacksonville, NC
Quote:

Can't swear to the temp reduction, I use it as a rust inhibitor since antifreeze is a no no.

Mike Gray

Thats what I was thinking, but at ZMAX the specifically stated not antifreeze, water wetter, or any other additives where to be in the cooling system. water only.

Re: water wetter [Re: GEORGE68HEMIRR] #302796
04/29/09 08:53 AM
04/29/09 08:53 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

does this stuff work and make you engine run cooler??

Yes it works... there was a post on this just a few
days back and someone put a link to some testing on
a few different versions of it, Water Wetter and Purple
Ice were about identical on their performance. I use
the Water Wetter and see a temp reduction but use it
more for the rust and lube aspect

Re: water wetter [Re: MR_P_BODY] #302797
04/29/09 09:34 AM
04/29/09 09:34 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
"First we must dispel a common misconception: "Water Wetter" is not designed to lower your car's bulk coolant temperature. So if you put it in your radiator hoping to see lower operational coolant temp's, then you will probably be disappointed.

"Water Wetter" is designed to reduce hot spots in your cylinder head. It does this by reducing the build-up of water vapor in any superheated areas. The bad thing about having hot spots in your cylinder head (read combustion chamber) is that they can promote pre-ignition - definitely a bad thing. This harks back to Smokey Yunick's theory of "soft combustion chambers". Any sharp edges in your combustion chamber (around valve seats for example) may tend to get very hot (even red hot) during operation. These areas of the combustion chamber can then form local hot spots in the cooling passages. Thus, even though your bulk coolant temperature is well below its boiling point (i.e. your gauge reads just fine), there may be localized boiling in some regions of the coolant tract.

This localized boiling can cause a layer of water vapor to form over the hot spot. This vapor forms an insulative blanket and prevents heat from leaving this area, thus making the hot spot even worse. But reducing the surface tension of the water makes it easier for vapor bubbles to leave the surface of the cylinder head and allows the bubbles to convect heat away from the area. Something that changes the surface tension of a liquid is called a "surfactant". It does not take very much surfactant to significantly change the surface tension of water. Hence, you do not need to add very much "Water Wetter" in order for it to do its job.

An additional benefit of using "Water Wetter" (in conjunction with 100% water) in you cooling system is that water has an extremely high heat capacity. Thus a gallon of 100% water can carry more heat away from you engine than an equivalent gallon of 50/50 water and coolant. Water also has a high thermal conductivity which increases the convection of heat away from the coolant passage walls and into the free stream of the liquid flowing through the passages"

Re: water wetter [Re: BobR] #302798
04/29/09 12:15 PM
04/29/09 12:15 PM
hudson valley n.y.
G
super street
super street
G

hudson valley n.y.
Quote:

"First we must dispel a common misconception: "Water Wetter" is not designed to lower your car's bulk coolant temperature. So if you put it in your radiator hoping to see lower operational coolant temp's, then you will probably be disappointed.

"Water Wetter" is designed to reduce hot spots in your cylinder head. It does this by reducing the build-up of water vapor in any superheated areas. The bad thing about having hot spots in your cylinder head (read combustion chamber) is that they can promote pre-ignition - definitely a bad thing. This harks back to Smokey Yunick's theory of "soft combustion chambers". Any sharp edges in your combustion chamber (around valve seats for example) may tend to get very hot (even red hot) during operation. These areas of the combustion chamber can then form local hot spots in the cooling passages. Thus, even though your bulk coolant temperature is well below its boiling point (i.e. your gauge reads just fine), there may be localized boiling in some regions of the coolant tract.

This localized boiling can cause a layer of water vapor to form over the hot spot. This vapor forms an insulative blanket and prevents heat from leaving this area, thus making the hot spot even worse. But reducing the surface tension of the water makes it easier for vapor bubbles to leave the surface of the cylinder head and allows the bubbles to convect heat away from the area. Something that changes the surface tension of a liquid is called a "surfactant". It does not take very much surfactant to significantly change the surface tension of water. Hence, you do not need to add very much "Water Wetter" in order for it to do its job.

An additional benefit of using "Water Wetter" (in conjunction with 100% water) in you cooling system is that water has an extremely high heat capacity. Thus a gallon of 100% water can carry more heat away from you engine than an equivalent gallon of 50/50 water and coolant. Water also has a high thermal conductivity which increases the convection of heat away from the coolant passage walls and into the free stream of the liquid flowing through the passages"

wow i guess you explained that very well....thank you for all that information.....sounds like this is the way to go during the hot summer months and is needed at the track...

Re: water wetter [Re: GEORGE68HEMIRR] #302799
04/29/09 12:37 PM
04/29/09 12:37 PM
Berwyn, IL
challenger70 Offline
master
challenger70  Offline
master

Berwyn, IL
Quote:

Quote:

wow i guess you explained that very well....thank you for all that information.....sounds like this is the way to go during the hot summer months and is needed at the track...

thanks for writing that out, although I think they do claim a drop in coolant temperature on the bottle/advertising but what you wrote makes sense

Re: water wetter [Re: challenger70] #302800
04/29/09 12:48 PM
04/29/09 12:48 PM
USA
J
JoesMopar Offline
master
JoesMopar  Offline
master
J

USA
Can you use Purple Ice in an aluminum radiator?

Re: water wetter [Re: JoesMopar] #302801
04/29/09 03:02 PM
04/29/09 03:02 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
I like it and use it in both cars. I feel it works best if not added to water, put it in dry motor then add h20.

Re: water wetter [Re: BobR] #302802
04/29/09 03:03 PM
04/29/09 03:03 PM
hudson valley n.y.
G
super street
super street
G

hudson valley n.y.
Quote:

would there be any problems with aluminum block and heads??...thanks

Re: water wetter [Re: MR_P_BODY] #302803
04/29/09 04:33 PM
04/29/09 04:33 PM
CA
62SAVOY Offline
enthusiast
62SAVOY  Offline
enthusiast

CA
Quote:

Yes it works... I use
the Water Wetter and see a temp reduction

I use it in my big heavy Dodge truck and seen a 20 degree drop in temp with it. Maybe varies on setups like some things do?

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: 62SAVOY] #302804
04/29/09 04:56 PM
04/29/09 04:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: water wetter #302805
04/30/09 10:12 AM
04/30/09 10:12 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I use it with distilled water...

I've heard from reputable sources that softened water is better than distilled. We use tap water but we don't even have a radiator.

Re: water wetter [Re: BobR] #302806
04/30/09 03:18 PM
04/30/09 03:18 PM
Detroit,MI
B
BADDART Offline
enthusiast
BADDART  Offline
enthusiast
B

Detroit,MI
I've heard the same thing about NOT using distilled water.I now use whats called (purified drinking water).Buy it at Kroger in gal jugs.It is not just regular bottled water.No chlorine or hard minerals. Chris

Re: water wetter [Re: BobR] #302807
04/30/09 05:53 PM
04/30/09 05:53 PM
hudson valley n.y.
G
super street
super street
G

hudson valley n.y.
Quote:

Quote:

I use it with distilled water...

I've heard from reputable sources that softened water is better than distilled. We use tap water but we don't even have a radiator.

bob thanks too for the tip.....i just put in 4 gallons of distilled water with the water wetter....oh well

Page 1 of 2 1 2