Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
I have a '62 Fury I was considering running at the local autocross once in a while (6-8 times a year). it will be street driven most of the time so it needs to drive well on the road.

I have plans for a mild built 383 with a 727.

What are easy/fairly cheap mods I should consider to have fun? I'm guessing sub-frame connectors, larger t-bars, shocks, sway bars and maybe disc brakes up front.

Anything else you can suggest that isn't a lot of money (e.g. aftermarket front k-member, etc)???

Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: VITC_GTX] #3026423
03/22/22 03:17 PM
03/22/22 03:17 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
I'm doing the same thing with my 65. Lots of upgrades you can do with oe based components. Since you are in Washington, get ahold of Firm Feel down in Vancouver. Andy F has a really great tech book on b's. Latch onto one of those. Amazon has them. Mopar b-body performance upgrades 1962-1979. If you go onto forbbodiesonly.com, this is my project.https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/updating-the-super-street-mopar.116131/

Carl Kessel
Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: VITC_GTX] #3026434
03/22/22 03:53 PM
03/22/22 03:53 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
the k member is kinda the last thing as they aren't a cheap conversion, its cheaper to strengthen the one you got. Everything you mentioned is the cheaper route especially if you make your own, inner fender braces, lower rad brace, subframe connectors, torque boxes, rollcage (if you go that route) stitch weld your body, stiffen your lower control arm with a plate, ect will all help you when you move up in mods, next cheapest big hollow front sway bar, rear sway bar, adjustable strut rods, stiffer leaf springs (fiberglass), big torsion bars, corrected geometry and adjustable upper control arms, shocks, boregson power steering, ect ect

Last edited by dangina; 03/22/22 03:54 PM.
Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: dangina] #3026498
03/22/22 06:33 PM
03/22/22 06:33 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Originally Posted by dangina
the k member is kinda the last thing as they aren't a cheap conversion, its cheaper to strengthen the one you got. Everything you mentioned is the cheaper route especially if you make your own, inner fender braces, lower rad brace, subframe connectors, torque boxes, rollcage (if you go that route) stitch weld your body, stiffen your lower control arm with a plate, ect will all help you when you move up in mods, next cheapest big hollow front sway bar, rear sway bar, adjustable strut rods, stiffer leaf springs (fiberglass), big torsion bars, corrected geometry and adjustable upper control arms, shocks, boregson power steering, ect ect

This is the route I'm taking. The k-frame received many hours of attention, adding in additional spot welds on suspension structure areas. Lots of work done with much more coming.

Carl Kessel
Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: CKessel] #3026597
03/22/22 10:55 PM
03/22/22 10:55 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Thanks for the info guys!! I think I'll start with these cheap improvements and get a baseline that I work to improve.

CKessel - I'm reading your thread now, nice car and very nice work!!

Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: dangina] #3026625
03/23/22 01:18 AM
03/23/22 01:18 AM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Originally Posted by dangina

Question: Where/how would I stitch weld the car to stiffen the body?

Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: VITC_GTX] #3026682
03/23/22 09:48 AM
03/23/22 09:48 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
On the k-frame, you can see how I added welds to that. I added on almost 130 to the factory 40 or so plus additional gusseting. On the front inner fender area, I've added welds to the shock brace/upper control arm attachment/along the top of the frame rail where I could get access. You could do this on the rest of the car in areas that are accessible if you are willing. On the areas between the factory welds, I could add at least one and sometimes two welds in between the oe welds. You can make up a new lower radiator brace/tie bar like I did and also make up a core support like I did too. The subframe connectors have choices. Square tube, rectangle or US Cartool. All need to be welded, some are less involved. For any of them, you need to remove carpet, insulation and seats so you don't flame them. Good time for replacements of them since they are out. You could even go to a roll cage setup like on a dedicated race car. Lots of possibilities. I'm just going with the basics on mine with some upgrades I feel like adding.

Carl Kessel
Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: CKessel] #3026688
03/23/22 10:17 AM
03/23/22 10:17 AM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Originally Posted by CKessel
On the k-frame, you can see how I added welds to that. I added on almost 130 to the factory 40 or so plus additional gusseting. On the front inner fender area, I've added welds to the shock brace/upper control arm attachment/along the top of the frame rail where I could get access. You could do this on the rest of the car in areas that are accessible if you are willing. On the areas between the factory welds, I could add at least one and sometimes two welds in between the oe welds. You can make up a new lower radiator brace/tie bar like I did and also make up a core support like I did too. The subframe connectors have choices. Square tube, rectangle or US Cartool. All need to be welded, some are less involved. For any of them, you need to remove carpet, insulation and seats so you don't flame them. Good time for replacements of them since they are out. You could even go to a roll cage setup like on a dedicated race car. Lots of possibilities. I'm just going with the basics on mine with some upgrades I feel like adding.

Extremely helpful. Thanks!! up

Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: VITC_GTX] #3026877
03/23/22 07:36 PM
03/23/22 07:36 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
I have a '62 Fury I was considering running at the local autocross once in a while (6-8 times a year). it will be street driven most of the time so it needs to drive well on the road.

I have plans for a mild built 383 with a 727.

What are easy/fairly cheap mods I should consider to have fun? I'm guessing sub-frame connectors, larger t-bars, shocks, sway bars and maybe disc brakes up front.

Anything else you can suggest that isn't a lot of money (e.g. aftermarket front k-member, etc)???

Just copy my build. I've tried a bunch of different parts on my car over the past 30 years and have figured out what works and what doesn't.

DSC_2394 (Large).jpegDSC_2399 (Large).jpeg
Re: Autocross early B body help [Re: AndyF] #3027127
03/24/22 04:58 PM
03/24/22 04:58 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Thanks Andy. I would like to benefit from the hard work of others!! grin

Would I find your "recipe" be in the B-body performance upgrade book?