I Live Here
Quicksilver440  Offline OP
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Originally Posted by Quicksilver440
Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
I'd try a Proform / Brawler "950" race carb w/ 1.45v x 1.75t simply because they're more affordable and more tuneable.

Liked that one so much I bought a second one of them for later tunnel ram use.
All it needs is the transfer slot holes tapped and restrictors/jets added.

Brawler also has a street carb marketed as an 850DP with electric choke, but the primary venturi measures out smaller than standard.
Bought a main body of one of those to build up later for my C body. Was surprised to see that. It seems like a sound idea.
hopefully get a chance to try it.

For an 850, the BG annular booster model I had was so much more responsive than the two regular 4781s that I had,
it killed them both so I sold them.

Zippy…super interested in a electric choke carb with smaller venturis…seems like a great idea. I’ll check that out!

I must apologize, I didn't remember the brand correctly. Your reply made me go check.

I thought it was a QFT Brawler, but it is actually a QFT Proform. Pics below.

I'm coming up with 1.465(P) and 1.554(S) using basic dividers and a dial caliper.

Proform doesn't advertise the spec (that I have been able to easily find,anyway), whereas Brawler advertises 1.570 P/S.
If the Brawler marketing is correct then the carbs are definitely not the same in spite of how badly I might mix them up.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/street/parts/BR-67214
https://www.proformparts.com/produc...odel-850-cfm-mechanical-secondaries-type

Very helpful zippy…definitely don’t want the larger Venturi! Thanks for double checking!

Re: What's the right carb for my combo? Street/Strip [Re: Quicksilver440] #3020159
03/02/22 09:46 AM
03/02/22 09:46 AM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
Originally Posted by lewtot184
a lot of good single carb info here, but i have to wonder if the manifold is best for the combo? it could be fine and i know it's had some good press but what "IF"? i don't care for single carb stuff much anymore, especially when cost is factored in. i'd open the door to a lot of options. the worst that looking could do is send you back to what you have.

Manifold is a Holley Street Dominator…ran really well with the 800 DP I used to have. I also have a new Victor that I’ve never ran…but I bought it to run with Fuel injection that I never ended up finishing.
i was just wondering if the manifold would complement the ported heads or hinder them. if the heads are 300+cfm and the manifold is 280-290cfm would spending a bunch of money on a carb make a noticeable difference? just asking. would the victor manifold, which can make more power, and a better carb add growth plus performance? i think maybe i'd try the victor first and spend money on a carb second.

as far as losing some performance goes a lot of factors play in. driver, weather, track, old tires, fuel delivery degradation, maybe a combo of all? i think i'd try to look at a broader picture.

Re: What's the right carb for my combo? Street/Strip [Re: lewtot184] #3020178
03/02/22 11:37 AM
03/02/22 11:37 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
a lot of good single carb info here, but i have to wonder if the manifold is best for the combo? it could be fine and i know it's had some good press but what "IF"? i don't care for single carb stuff much anymore, especially when cost is factored in. i'd open the door to a lot of options. the worst that looking could do is send you back to what you have.

Manifold is a Holley Street Dominator…ran really well with the 800 DP I used to have. I also have a new Victor that I’ve never ran…but I bought it to run with Fuel injection that I never ended up finishing.
i was just wondering if the manifold would complement the ported heads or hinder them. if the heads are 300+cfm and the manifold is 280-290cfm would spending a bunch of money on a carb make a noticeable difference? just asking. would the victor manifold, which can make more power, and a better carb add growth plus performance? i think maybe i'd try the victor first and spend money on a carb second.

as far as losing some performance goes a lot of factors play in. driver, weather, track, old tires, fuel delivery degradation, maybe a combo of all? i think i'd try to look at a broader picture.

We run ported 300-ish cfm heads and also run a Holley Street Dominator. Streetwize (Bobby) here on the board ported this SD and compared to an as-cast, it picked up a tenth on the dragstrip. Translated to about 12 hp as I recall. We also run an 850 Demon for a carb. For a heavy street car it runs pretty well and has great drivability.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: What's the right carb for my combo? Street/Strip [Re: GY3] #3020380
03/03/22 01:05 AM
03/03/22 01:05 AM
Central Valley, CA.
Quicksilver440 Offline OP
I Live Here
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Originally Posted by GY3

We run ported 300-ish cfm heads and also run a Holley Street Dominator. Streetwize (Bobby) here on the board ported this SD and compared to an as-cast, it picked up a tenth on the dragstrip. Translated to about 12 hp as I recall. We also run an 850 Demon for a carb. For a heavy street car it runs pretty well and has great drivability.

Nice! Might just be my 850 is crap.

Re: What's the right carb for my combo? Street/Strip [Re: ZIPPY] #3020968
03/05/22 01:20 AM
03/05/22 01:20 AM
Central Valley, CA.
I Live Here
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
I'd try a Proform / Brawler "950" race carb w/ 1.45v x 1.75t simply because they're more affordable and more tuneable.

Liked that one so much I bought a second one of them for later tunnel ram use.
All it needs is the transfer slot holes tapped and restrictors/jets added.

Brawler also has a street carb marketed as an 850DP with electric choke, but the primary venturi measures out smaller than standard.
Bought a main body of one of those to build up later for my C body. Was surprised to see that. It seems like a sound idea.
hopefully get a chance to try it.

For an 850, the BG annular booster model I had was so much more responsive than the two regular 4781s that I had,
it killed them both so I sold them.

Zippy…super interested in a electric choke carb with smaller venturis…seems like a great idea. I’ll check that out!

I must apologize, I didn't remember the brand correctly. Your reply made me go check.

I thought it was a QFT Brawler, but it is actually a QFT Proform. Pics below.

I'm coming up with 1.465(P) and 1.554(S) using basic dividers and a dial caliper.

Proform doesn't advertise the spec (that I have been able to easily find,anyway), whereas Brawler advertises 1.570 P/S.
If the Brawler marketing is correct then the carbs are definitely not the same in spite of how badly I might mix them up.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/street/parts/BR-67214
https://www.proformparts.com/produc...odel-850-cfm-mechanical-secondaries-type

Zippy..you got me thinking and researching those proforms…especially the mainbody you listed.
Found this awesome chart that includes venturi sizes of various carbs…thought I would share.

https://www.quickfueltechnology.com.au/content/Quick%20Fuel%20Carb%20Size%20with%20details-AUST.pdf

Re: What's the right carb for my combo? Street/Strip [Re: Quicksilver440] #3021052
03/05/22 03:00 PM
03/05/22 03:00 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by GY3
[quote=Quicksilver440][quote=lewtot184]a lot of good single carb info here, but i have to wonder if the manifold is best for the combo? it could be fine and i know it's had some good press but what "IF"? i don't care for single carb stuff much anymore, especially when cost is factored in. i'd open the door to a lot of options. the worst that looking could do is send you back to what you have.

All of them can be fixed by you or someone else work scope up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: What's the right carb for my combo? Street/Strip [Re: Cab_Burge] #3021102
03/05/22 06:59 PM
03/05/22 06:59 PM
Central Valley, CA.
I Live Here
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by GY3
[quote=Quicksilver440][quote=lewtot184]a lot of good single carb info here, but i have to wonder if the manifold is best for the combo? it could be fine and i know it's had some good press but what "IF"? i don't care for single carb stuff much anymore, especially when cost is factored in. i'd open the door to a lot of options. the worst that looking could do is send you back to what you have.

All of them can be fixed by you or someone else work scope up

Cab…very true. Might spend some more time soaking this one and running all the passages. Something has to be clogged.

Page 2 of 2 1 2