02/26/22 11:46 AM
02/26/22 11:46 AM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
I have 2 sons in their late teens and early 20's. We actually have talked about this a little. Let me tell you, I run the Cyclone down to the 7/11 and there is a crowd around it when I come out. This is a car that literally has original paint and rust on it still. A restomod running FI. When I start the car, cameras come out along with the thumbs up. So why do I say thing? Well, in the US and the world, the leaders seem to be under the false impression that we operate on a command economy. We are going electric they say(perhaps we eventually will). But, the rumble of a V8 gets lots of attention. It gets attention by anyone from 20-70 years old. People know what it is by the sound and some actually remember the cars. The more they push us away from these instead of allowing us to migrate ourselves, the higher the value will go. My 21 year rides in the car and just smiles. It isn't just the sound but the seating, the door height, no B pillar, etc. He just grins and says, man, this car was just made right. Try hanging your arm out a modern Mustang(I have one). Yeah,it can be done but well, it aint comfy after a while.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: klunick] #3019069
02/26/22 01:03 PM
02/26/22 01:03 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by klunick
I have 2 sons in their late teens and early 20's. We actually have talked about this a little. Let me tell you, I run the Cyclone down to the 7/11 and there is a crowd around it when I come out. This is a car that literally has original paint and rust on it still. A restomod running FI. When I start the car, cameras come out along with the thumbs up. So why do I say thing? Well, in the US and the world, the leaders seem to be under the false impression that we operate on a command economy. We are going electric they say(perhaps we eventually will). But, the rumble of a V8 gets lots of attention. It gets attention by anyone from 20-70 years old. People know what it is by the sound and some actually remember the cars. The more they push us away from these instead of allowing us to migrate ourselves, the higher the value will go. My 21 year rides in the car and just smiles. It isn't just the sound but the seating, the door height, no B pillar, etc. He just grins and says, man, this car was just made right. Try hanging your arm out a modern Mustang(I have one). Yeah,it can be done but well, it aint comfy after a while.

VERY well said. I agree on all points.

Wife and I have the Satellite out quite a bit and one nite we decided to stop at Canes and get a bite for dinner to take home.
So we were in the drive thru line .
And a guy came out out of the bldg, he stopped dead in his tracks and just starred the car down. After maybe a minute or 2 he noticed the Hemi emblems on the fender. He then asked it that was real. When I told him yes . He smiled from ear to ear and said thanks. Glad to see it actually getting driven . If I had to guess he was maybe late 40s to early 50s

My daughters drive it from time to time. And you should see the faces and jaws drop when we pull in at a local show or cruise in . She is 21 , my oldest is 24. And they BOTH love it and want to drive all the damn time.

My primary reason for the post is I have a couple friends wanting to buy and they feel like they are steadily being priced out of the market

One of them originally had set a budget of 40k, after a few months raised that to 50. now he is afraid he may have to go to 60k and isnt sure he is comfortable spending that . Ive told him to keep the current 68 Roadrunner he has and do the aftermarket ac thing and keep it.
But deep down he wants a 1968 or 69 Coronet Rt but will consider a similar 68 to 70 Superbee .
he is open to a 1968 to 1970 B body be it a Road Runner, GTX as well if it pops his buttons

2nd guy is looking more for a 66-67 Hemi 4spd car

Both guys have cash to spend and not financing anything

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: gtx6970] #3019534
02/27/22 10:08 PM
02/27/22 10:08 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
It'll be interesting to see what happens price wise. When will these pandemic inflated prices come back down? With this big push for EVs will the price of used gas vehicles stay high for a while when you can't get new ones as easily and then drop when more people are after EVs? Or will they stay high unless gas prices sky rocket? Will they drop because everyone but us car crazed people want electric cars?

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: 5thAve] #3020235
03/02/22 02:28 PM
03/02/22 02:28 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
Attempting to predict future values of vehicles is nearly impossible. I've tried for years. Sometimes I was right, sometimes wrong. The best advice I've heard is to buy what you like and enjoy it.

I could be proven wrong, but it appears that there are growing numbers of people who do NOT want, or will not buy, new cars & trucks. (Most of the folks that have expressed this idea to me are car buffs.) I suspect there are several reasons for this:

1. Purchase price for new vehicles. Some folks are priced out of the market. I live in a low income area. Many people are struggling to afford transportation. Other people, particularly retired folks, have the money to buy a new vehicle but are unwilling to pay the high prices!!

2. Growing numbers of people do NOT fit in new vehicles! People are growing larger while vehicles are shrinking. Large and / or tall people can not fit in many of the cramped cars being built today! I've sat in quite a few newer vehicles and frequently my head hits the roof!! I'm not exceptionally tall, but many of these newer cars are designed for people 5' 10" or shorter!

3. Technology in new cars will become obsolete at some point. Will service and parts still be available? This can be a real issue for folks who keep their vehicles for decades.

4. Some folks are skeptical of electrical vehicles. For instance, if the vehicle's battery is damaged in an accident, the car will catch on fire. How long will the battery last? What will the replacement battery cost? Where to charger it? Etc.

5. Concerns regarding the inability to maintain or repair the vehicle themselves. The other concern is the cost of paying a commercial garage to repair the vehicle. I have a great mechanic / commercial garage that has been taking care of my vehicles for over 20 years. Over that time, his labor rate has doubled! Every other garage in the area is charging similar rates, so it's not just him!

6. It may just be that I'm growing old, but most of the new vehicles are just plain UGLY!!! I wouldn't want to drive many of them!

Around here, the prices people are asking for high mileage, 15 year old vehicles is just unbelievable! This is a rural area, so many people require transportation. Being able to afford it is becoming more difficult though. Like someone previously mentioned, vehicles are being repaired that would NOT have been repaired a couple of years ago. I'm driving a 20 year old truck. It's been in the family for 18 years. I had planned to junk it this year due to rust. I looked up the value and discovered it has gone up in value 50% in the last 2 years!!! Guess I'm going to fix it now! (assuming the parts are available!)

Last edited by QuickDodge; 03/02/22 02:32 PM.
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: QuickDodge] #3020315
03/02/22 08:57 PM
03/02/22 08:57 PM
Central US
grancuda Offline
super stock
grancuda  Offline
super stock

Central US
Originally Posted by QuickDodge

3. Technology in new cars will become obsolete at some point. Will service and parts still be available? This can be a real issue for folks who keep their vehicles for decades.

That’s already happening & on cars that are not not old.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/44353...-connected-features-for-millions-of-cars

1967 Barracuda Formula S 383
1967 Chevy C10 Short Stepper
1980 Macho Power Wagon LWB 318
2021 Toyota Supra
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: grancuda] #3020835
03/04/22 04:02 PM
03/04/22 04:02 PM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
New cars?

Chip shortage going to last until at least 2024. People buying new cars are stupid if they have to take out 72+ month loans to get one.

Old cars?

Dreamers will be asking big bux for rust buckets for awhile. Dreamers buying these rust buckets will soon learn that $45k rust bucket 68 Charger is going to take $90k to restore.

Restoration costs are going through the roof as there is a typical two-year waiting list to get a paint job.

Restored, well-done cars are big bux because those w/money don't want to wait for their car being in paint jail for 2-3 years.

Boomers and old Gen-Xers are doing pretty dang good, so there's no end in sight for nice, older cars selling to these demographics for the next 10-15 years.

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #3029136
03/31/22 10:04 AM
03/31/22 10:04 AM
The Garden State
LimelightCuda Offline
enthusiast
LimelightCuda  Offline
enthusiast

The Garden State
I have heard it said that the guys who bought these cars in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s are going to age out or pass on and then there will be less interest in the cars from the era and therefore the prices will go down. I disagree with this idea for a couple of reasons. #1) I was too young to buy one of these cars new. I got my DL in 1982 and I was able to buy a few used cars which sparked my interest in the muscle cars. I am now 56. I believe there are a lot of others who are in the same boat as me. #2) Due to different ways of exposure (family, TV and movies) I believe there are many people younger than me interested in these cars. So it is no surprise to me that prices are going up. The demand is there. What does surprise me is how fast the prices are going up. Why they are going up so fast I don’t know. Maybe as the person above said people with big pockets don’t want to wait 2 years for a restoration to be completed? With costs going up for everything maybe we will see more do it yourself restorations. All opinion.

Phil

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe
1970 A66 Challenger Convertible
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: LimelightCuda] #3029417
04/01/22 07:29 AM
04/01/22 07:29 AM
Hamburg, Pa.
72 RR DUDE Offline
mopar
72 RR DUDE  Offline
mopar

Hamburg, Pa.
In some states the ( FEDS) are slowly trying to get rid of the classics! You can read some of the posts from guys that are dealing with that. With the ( FEDS) now talking about total ban on gas engines by 2030 it is only a matter of time. Like the old statement ( its now a matter of if, it is a matter of when. If you can,t drive them you will still be able to look at them) Just ask chargervert a member here who is already dealing with this!

Last edited by 72 RR DUDE; 04/01/22 07:34 AM.
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: 72 RR DUDE] #3029489
04/01/22 11:47 AM
04/01/22 11:47 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 72 RR DUDE
In some states the ( FEDS) are slowly trying to get rid of the classics! You can read some of the posts from guys that are dealing with that. With the ( FEDS) now talking about total ban on gas engines by 2030 it is only a matter of time. Like the old statement ( its now a matter of if, it is a matter of when. If you can,t drive them you will still be able to look at them) Just ask chargervert a member here who is already dealing with this!

My understanding is, it is 2035 and a proposed ban on SELLING NEW vehicle's with ICE's. that's going to leave a pot full of 2034's and earlier vehicles still on the road. shruggy twocents

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: TJP] #3029491
04/01/22 11:51 AM
04/01/22 11:51 AM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by 72 RR DUDE

My understanding is, it is 2035 and a proposed ban on SELLING NEW vehicle's with ICE's. that's going to leave a pot full of 2034's and earlier vehicles still on the road. shruggy twocents

IF they don't legislate them off the road as gross polluters. Look what California did with big trucks.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: 3hundred] #3030520
04/04/22 10:50 AM
04/04/22 10:50 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
The BIG political push of EV's, and the "politically imposed" dates are so unrealistic ! The electrical infrastructure can't handle all the charging for the "proposed EV's" . . . how would you like to own an EV, park at home, but be told you have to spend big $$$ to change your electrical panel, service, etc, JUST to be able to put a charger in place ! OR, as an electrical rate paying consumer, be told you (and EVERYONE else connected to the grid), have to pay $$$$ to upgrade the grid, to allow everyone to use EV. It's such political crap . . . how many MILLIONS of ICE vehicles are on the road right now - personally I keep my cars for LONG LONG time (like 15-20years??) . . . even by 2035, I will be long retired, still driving, but not wanting to spend big $$$ on some new EV . . . might cost me way more to fill up the car with gas, but then I probably won't be driving to far . . .

I think the ICE vehicles are actually going to go up in value as many realize that they can't afford and EV . . . or don't have place to charge them, etc . . .

When India & China get serious about their emissions, then we here in Nth America should be too . . . any emissions savings we do here, is MORE than offset by what they pump out in India & China. . . .

We could assist the world by stopping all the HOT AIR coming out of the politicians and greenie weenies . . . they have to tell the WHOLE story, not just what they want you to hear . . .

Sorry, rant off . . .

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: a12rag] #3030536
04/04/22 11:30 AM
04/04/22 11:30 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Discussion on the push towards EV will quickly get moved to current events if we get going in it.
But I don’t think it’s practical for most people and don’t know when or if it ever will be.
Just last week an engineer coworker was showing us his new Buick SUV. I noticed a new Ford Mustang Mach EV parked near his car. I said you should have got one of those. He said he looked at them, but couldn’t afford $30,000 for an electrician to upgrade his houses service and install a charger.
I’ve heard mixed stories on what installation of a charger involves. Unless I start getting estimates to do it at my house I’ll take everything I hear with a grain of salt. But at a minimum you’d need 220 as 120 chargers take so long to charge a car. Many older houses still have 60 amp, and 100 is fairly common, 60 would certainly require and upgrade in service to allow installation of a 220 car charger. 100 might too, maybe 200 amp service minimum required? That’s getting to be a big project regardless of if his $30K claim was an exaggeration or not.
And that just helps people who own homes, what about people who live in apartments, condos or mobile home parks.
Public charging stations seem like an inconvenience even if the infrastructure was there and charging stations were as common as gas stations. Theres a Tesla Super charger station in the parking lot of a store I frequent and I don’t envy those Tesla owners sitting there charging for 30 minutes or whatever they take.
Back to ICE vintage car values, I watched some of Mecum Houston over the weekend and prices still seem to be high. Custom or resto mod types seem hot now. I wonder if that will continue? Trouble shooting and maintaining a highly modified car trying to figure out what replacement parts are correct seems like a nightmare to me and I wonder if enthusiasts scooping up those cars have thought things through, as they probably will be someday when they or their mechanic is trying to sort out problems with their LS3, Coyote or hemi conversation or even figure what pads and rotors are correct for the 4 wheel disc conversion somebody did years ago on the car they bought.
I’ll stick with stock restos myself just to minimize headaches, but that’s just me…

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: Mastershake340] #3030544
04/04/22 11:59 AM
04/04/22 11:59 AM
Northern California
lilcuda Offline
super stock
lilcuda  Offline
super stock

Northern California
Originally Posted by Mastershake340

Just last week an engineer coworker was showing us his new Buick SUV. I noticed a new Ford Mustang Mach EV parked near his car. I said you should have got one of those. He said he looked at them, but couldn’t afford $30,000 for an electrician to upgrade his houses service and install a charger.
I’ve heard mixed stories on what installation of a charger involves. Unless I start getting estimates to do it at my house I’ll take everything I hear with a grain of salt. But at a minimum you’d need 220 as 120 chargers take so long to charge a car. Many older houses still have 60 amp, and 100 is fairly common, 60 would certainly require and upgrade in service to allow installation of a 220 car charger. 100 might too, maybe 200 amp service minimum required?

$30k for a panel.service upgrade and a charger installation? Are they using gold wiring? It think somebody heard the number incorrectly. $3k sounds more like it. 2 years ago, I had my panel upgraded from 125 amp service to 200 and it cost $3900 and I live in Sillycon Valley, CA where everything is overpriced. Something ain't right with that $30k number. Maybe that included solar panels?

'67 is an abbreviation of 1967
67' is an abbreviation of 67 feet
They are not interchangeable.
Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: lilcuda] #3030562
04/04/22 12:45 PM
04/04/22 12:45 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
It didn’t sound right to me either.
I had my 60 amp upgraded to 100 amp over 10 years ago by a licensed electrician who did side jobs and I think it was a bit under $1000.
Long time ago, and a “deal”, but still I can’t imagine today and being at a company I found listed onlines mercy it would cost me much over twice what I paid then?
Of course his estimate included 220 service maybe to his garage and the cost and installation of the Charger unit but still can’t see it being even $5000 total.
Or maybe he called ABC plumbing and electric, not sure if they are national, but they are a company advertising a lot locally that has a quite a reputation for up selling and overcharging, they might well estimate $30,000 for a job that a more reputable outfit would do for $5000.

Re: Car values today.....versus later. [Re: Mastershake340] #3030614
04/04/22 02:57 PM
04/04/22 02:57 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The prices you paid for stuff 2 years ago doesn't even fit into the ball park of what the same thing would cost today. Todays prices are easily 3-4x what they were 2 years ago.
Then yo add in the cost of the charging station, which by itself could be $5,000 or more, maybe a lot more. "Green energy stuff" isn't cheap! Then you need the city permits, and it is possible the electric service to the property line is not a high enough capacity to cover the load required for the charging station.

I have a buddy that wanted to upgrade his electric power at his house to a 200 amp service 3 or 4 years ago. The power company told him the most he could upgrade to was 100 amp because he was at the "end of the service line". The nearest point "they" could pull a 200 amp service from was 3 blocks away from where he lived. The cost to get that 200 amp service to his property line was $20,000! They would have had to run new wire and, add a transformer, Then they would have to upgrade the wires from his property line to his house, and a new meter base, that was over and above the 20 grand. If you really want to see overcharge, deal with a public electric company!

Page 2 of 2 1 2