St.Pete,Florida
L
lancer493 Offline
enthusiast
lancer493  Offline
enthusiast
L

St.Pete,Florida
I agree with Diplomat360 as you can just feel the tension in this thread,as in several others lately. The point of the original writer is getting lost. It is very hard to convey points effectively and in a timely fashion as compared to a verbal discussion.Most of us are here because we want to run that personally favored engine/vehicle combo and not particularly because it makes more sense.Running a big block Moparis truly not the best choice if your looking just to go fast. Much better alternatives out there. Especially if finances are a big concern. I underststand where Mopar Dave is because I too chose the Victor heads. They are basically great heads for that easy to build 700hp big block Andy describes in his book. The early hype that surrounded suggested something different. I bit and others did too. So many issues if you want to go past 675-700hp. Spent several hours talking with member Jeremiah on this subject as well.I know Mopar Dave is just trying to wring of few more hp out of his combo.To get large gains at this point would be large money and large work, but we need guys like Dave to post their projects and pass on their findings to the rest of us. I am very appreciative of this. I know there would be more of us that could push the horsepower needle of the dyno past 700hp with a big block Mopar (NA), but you need resources and money. I don't believe that is indicative of the majority of members /readers here, so we need to be a little more in tune to that. I sure don't feel my arm being squeezed to read or respond to anything here that I may come across. No one has to do that. It's America, Land of the free, Home of the Respectful. Off my stump now, Bill.

Last edited by lancer493; 02/19/22 06:00 PM.
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: Diplomat360] #3016833
02/19/22 04:42 PM
02/19/22 04:42 PM
PA
Harry's Taxi 2 Offline
enthusiast
Harry's Taxi 2  Offline
enthusiast

PA
Originally Posted by Diplomat360
umm...sort of a strange "turn" to this thread...and I'm not quite following the under-current since the most recent remarks seems to WANT to say "I disagree" but they just can't seen to get to actually making that point! lol

@polyspheric: I replied to your commentary re: my assertion the valves actually open towards the cyliner bore as opposed to the center, I even included a Mopar small block cut-through...I see that your original post, to which I responded, has now been editted by you, and is gone and has been replaced be a rather terse "Never mind"???

So the whining and complaining from @GTS340 and '@Harry's Taxi 2' is exctly what? offtopic

I mean, does that actually contribute anything to this discussion???

If any of you have an answer, ney, even an opinion based on supporting evidence as to what '@mopar dave' original post is about, I would love to read about it.

[now where is that "shaking my head with disbelief" icon]

So agreeing with someone pointing out a non-contributor to a thread is now considered "whining and complaining"? Have you not noticed all the non-contribution, snide remarks over the years from polyspheric?

Also, i looked back and i can't seem to find where only Diplomat 360 was made the remark Tsar.

Most forums have become technically useless over the years due to the "I'm better, smarter and have a bigger piston than you" mentality. and that has led to those with actual knowledge and experience to leave.

Last edited by Harry's Taxi 2; 02/19/22 04:44 PM.

'86 Maple Grove KOS Mopar low qualifier......true street legal with no power adders.

NOS-used when losing since 1940.

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: lancer493] #3016837
02/19/22 04:57 PM
02/19/22 04:57 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
I don't really see any problem in this thread. Dave got some bad advice, or at least confusing advice, about valve lift and power so he asked a question. He got a pretty clear answer that less lift isn't going to make more power. He also was told that more lift may or may not make more power. Basically the answer in this thread is the same answer to most questions on this board, "try it and find out". Engines are complicated and nobody knows what will happen on any particular engine when some part of the combination is changed. Guys that spend a lot of time in a dyno cell or at the track are constantly getting surprised about what works and what doesn't work. On Dave's engine I can guarantee that less lift isn't going to make more power. My guess is that more lift might make a small amount of power but I doubt it would be worth the expense of new rocker arms and springs.

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: Harry's Taxi 2] #3016849
02/19/22 05:22 PM
02/19/22 05:22 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Harry's Taxi 2:

Originally Posted by Harry's Taxi 2
...So agreeing with someone pointing out a non-contributor to a thread is now considered "whining and complaining"? Have you not noticed all the non-contribution, snide remarks over the years from polyspheric?

Also, i looked back and i can't seem to find where only Diplomat 360 was made the remark Tsar...

LOL, alright, I'll be the first one to say "sorry", but in this case I honestly don't even know what I should be appologizing for.

I only spotted your remark of "thumbs up" to GTS340's "...nobody cares..." remark, and I genuinely thought that we, as a group, can do a LOT better than to 'feed the troll' (as that appears to be the point that you are making about poly's previous contributions). In comparison, if you recall, my response to him was an actual diagram of the head and valve positioning in the chamber in relation to the cylinder block itself.

So be it, although I do not know people's history on these forums, and truthfully consider myself to be more of an outlier given my "affair" with M-body mopars!!!...therefore my interest most often lies in understanding the tech/science behind the issues and/or challenges we face while wrenching away on our rides.

...and NO, no one made me the "remark Tsar", I have no interest in that role, and much less so in that type of content...but if my comment did come across as such: you sir have my appolgy for that!

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: Diplomat360] #3016879
02/19/22 06:37 PM
02/19/22 06:37 PM
PA
Harry's Taxi 2 Offline
enthusiast
Harry's Taxi 2  Offline
enthusiast

PA
Originally Posted by Diplomat360
Harry's Taxi 2:

Originally Posted by Harry's Taxi 2
...So agreeing with someone pointing out a non-contributor to a thread is now considered "whining and complaining"? Have you not noticed all the non-contribution, snide remarks over the years from polyspheric?

Also, i looked back and i can't seem to find where only Diplomat 360 was made the remark Tsar...

LOL, alright, I'll be the first one to say "sorry", but in this case I honestly don't even know what I should be appologizing for.

I only spotted your remark of "thumbs up" to GTS340's "...nobody cares..." remark, and I genuinely thought that we, as a group, can do a LOT better than to 'feed the troll' (as that appears to be the point that you are making about poly's previous contributions). In comparison, if you recall, my response to him was an actual diagram of the head and valve positioning in the chamber in relation to the cylinder block itself.

So be it, although I do not know people's history on these forums, and truthfully consider myself to be more of an outlier given my "affair" with M-body mopars!!!...therefore my interest most often lies in understanding the tech/science behind the issues and/or challenges we face while wrenching away on our rides.

...and NO, no one made me the "remark Tsar", I have no interest in that role, and much less so in that type of content...but if my comment did come across as such: you sir have my appolgy for that!

Apology very much accepted. I sometimes fail to realize typing doesn't always convey the intended message.

Last edited by Harry's Taxi 2; 02/19/22 06:39 PM.

'86 Maple Grove KOS Mopar low qualifier......true street legal with no power adders.

NOS-used when losing since 1940.

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: lancer493] #3016900
02/19/22 07:31 PM
02/19/22 07:31 PM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline OP
master
mopar dave  Offline OP
master

Mt Morris Michigan
Really appreciate all the replys on this thread guys. I did learn from it. When i originally posted it, I thought that the valve did get closer to the cylinder wall as it opened, But thought it was the lifter side. So there is something learned here anyway and yes it looks like there is a loss in hp with reduced valve lift in my circumstance. The simulators show about 4hp loss going from 1.6 ratio to 1.5. Something Harland Sharp told me the other day, When checking rocker ratio with checking springs, the ratio may be as close to 1 full ratio higher, but when you install your heavy springs, it brings it back to or close to the advertised ratio.

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: mopar dave] #3016908
02/19/22 07:42 PM
02/19/22 07:42 PM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il
Originally Posted by mopar dave
Something Harland Sharp told me the other day, When checking rocker ratio with checking springs, the ratio may be as close to 1 full ratio higher, but when you install your heavy springs, it brings it back to or close to the advertised ratio.

....and then back up to theoretical max as/if it approaches loft.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 650rwhp @7250 510rwtq @5700
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: mopar dave] #3016910
02/19/22 08:00 PM
02/19/22 08:00 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Before some of you were born, almost every BBS had... (wait for it): rules.
One rule was "personal attacks on an author, without other content, result in banishment".

That would remove at least 20 people from this board.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: polyspheric] #3016917
02/19/22 08:14 PM
02/19/22 08:14 PM
Romulus, MI
GTS340 Offline
mopar
GTS340  Offline
mopar

Romulus, MI
Originally Posted by polyspheric
Before some of you were born, almost every BBS had... (wait for it): rules.
One rule was "personal attacks on an author, without other content, result in banishment".

That would remove at least 20 people from this board.

adrien-brody-so-what.gif
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: GTS340] #3016925
02/19/22 08:30 PM
02/19/22 08:30 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
The primary restraint against bad behavior is manners, sadly absent here.
Rules are for the discipline of those who have none, but misbehave.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: polyspheric] #3016948
02/19/22 09:44 PM
02/19/22 09:44 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
What is a BBS?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3016981
02/19/22 11:27 PM
02/19/22 11:27 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What is a BBS?

Bulletin Board System...ahhh, good ol' days, when one enjoyed the modem's speaker crackle away as the connection to the "outside" world was initiated!!!

Short Version: the precursor to today's forums, such as our little home right here. BBS'es were often ran on invididual computers that folks would have running in their basements (I did), where the caller's modem would connect to your specific BBS number. Of course, some BBS'es were also hosted on bigger servers, especially as the amount of folks using their modem to connect to the Internet rapidly increased.

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: Diplomat360] #3016995
02/20/22 12:43 AM
02/20/22 12:43 AM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il
I'll throw in my unsolicited 2 cents.

I don't know polyspherics background but I get the impression he has a lot of experience and responds with a lot of good info.

Also would say, (and just my opinion) that he writes in a way that some people may find hard to understand without the same experience/background. (as in, great info but may mean absolutely nothing to people with no context/reference)

He then gets annoyed, as it seems most are dismissive, but from my perspective it would be received better with more explanation?

Completely open to the possibility of being entirely wrong here, but would say there have been many times I've searched a subject to see polyspherics edited posts saying "never mind" , etc, or essentially deleted and thinking..... I would really would have preferred to read his first comment.

So polyspheric, of course you are free to do as you please but again, I think what you may perceive as dismissive may be hard to understand by some without more explanation. That being said I think your efforts would best be left as originally intended than deleted but that's just my opinion.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 650rwhp @7250 510rwtq @5700
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: INTMD8] #3017008
02/20/22 01:59 AM
02/20/22 01:59 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by INTMD8

I don't know polyspherics background but I get the impression he has a lot of experience and responds with a lot of good info.

Also would say, (and just my opinion) that he writes in a way that some people may find hard to understand without the same experience/background. (as in, great info but may mean absolutely nothing to people with no context/reference)

He then gets annoyed, as it seems most are dismissive, but from my perspective it would be received better with more explanation?

Completely open to the possibility of being entirely wrong here, but would say there have been many times I've searched a subject to see polyspherics edited posts saying "never mind" , etc, or essentially deleted and thinking..... I would really would have preferred to read his first comment.

So polyspheric, of course you are free to do as you please but again, I think what you may perceive as dismissive may be hard to understand by some without more explanation. That being said I think your efforts would best be left as originally intended than deleted but that's just my opinion.

This post and comments make me think of Mark Levin , PHD, the radio talk show host who write books that are way to wordy and way to long on making his points, so bad I can't read them.
Me thinks he is writing in that style to impress other PHD shruggy down

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: INTMD8] #3017025
02/20/22 08:53 AM
02/20/22 08:53 AM
Romulus, MI
GTS340 Offline
mopar
GTS340  Offline
mopar

Romulus, MI
Originally Posted by INTMD8

When he posts something that he later realizes was incorrect or when he posts something that he is proud of and it doesn't receive the praise and worship that he is looking for he pouts and changes his posts to "never mind" or "have a nice day"
While his posts may sometimes contain information of value, it rarely seems relevant or beneficial to the thread and is almost always posted in a manner that screams "I'm smarter than you"

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: GTS340] #3017079
02/20/22 12:35 PM
02/20/22 12:35 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
When he posts something that he later realizes was incorrect

Some of my work: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mopar-tech.htm
Find some mistakes.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: polyspheric] #3017085
02/20/22 12:51 PM
02/20/22 12:51 PM
Romulus, MI
GTS340 Offline
mopar
GTS340  Offline
mopar

Romulus, MI
When he posts something that he later realizes was incorrect

Some of my work: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mopar-tech.htm
Find some mistakes.

increasing the lift brings the valve closer to the cylinder wall

Did you typo this? It's backward.

Thought you gave up?

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: GTS340] #3017111
02/20/22 01:51 PM
02/20/22 01:51 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
glad i don't get offended easily.
i'm old, and have been called everything in the book, except the "new", computer based, put downs.
i don't know what they mean, so fire away ! i just figure it's what i have been called in the past, only this time, it's the modern, present day interpretation of past descriptions. laugh2
it will take a lot to make me leave, but over the years, there has been MUCH knowledge lost from those that know, just because they got fed up with the constant barrage of snide remarks.
that's too bad. that knowledge would serve younger members well.
my old noggin is filled with cobwebs, and is slowly being overtaken with spiders, but i will continue to offer what i know works, and also continue to ask questions to refresh what the spiders have eaten up. biggrin
beer

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: moparx] #3017326
02/21/22 12:52 PM
02/21/22 12:52 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Can't we all just get along?

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Anyone ever go faster with less lift? [Re: ZIPPY] #3017346
02/21/22 01:37 PM
02/21/22 01:37 PM
Loudoun County, VA
Brad_Haak Offline
super stock
Brad_Haak  Offline
super stock

Loudoun County, VA
This is the part of Moparts I didn't miss while I was "on vacation" for almost 2 years. I've had a few argue with people here over the years (including at least one person on this thread), but it's not worth the oxygen now to bother. And that's coming from someone who is quick to admit I'm a "slow learner" about these things. whistling

2021 Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack 1320
100% stock: 1.680, 11.894 at 113.75 (DA 175 ft)
weight reduction, wheels, tires, Hellcat air box: 1.661, 11.686 at 115.97 (DA 710 ft)

1973 Challenger 452 ci street/strip [2008]
pump gas, DOT radials: 1.454, 10.523 at 126.44 (DA 514 ft)
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7