02/17/22 01:02 AM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
If people think that it is just a rich persons game a these Drag and Drive events, you couldn't be further from the truth. Most of them are simple blue collar workers. MOST do all the work on the cars themselves, and I mean ALL the work. The are ambitious people. They don't sit around and wait for others to do things for them. Mark, the guy that won Hot Rod class at Drag Week this year, has very little money into his 8 second truck, built from swap meet parts. He told me his daily driver is a rusty old truck with 500K on it, and not worth $500. These people sacrifice a lot of things others have/do, just so they can attend these events. You would be surprised how many cars arrive on open trailers. Richard Giudo DROVE his car from Canada, to Florida for the start of Sick Week. He isn't the only one.

Can't work on the car between tracks, or it's not a street car? PLEASE... I have to work on my s#!tbox daily driver once in a while. Just because YOU are not willing to do the things these people are, don't assume they are not street cars. This isn't the Fastest Daily driver competition.

Get out in the garage, get your car running, and stop being a armchair quarterback.

"Street" cars arriving on open trailers, is that how street cars drive, that's supposed to be impressive?

Guy driving from Canada to Florida... yes, 1 legit street car out of how many... also how many valvesprings/lifters he go through?

Last edited by CokeBottleKid; 02/17/22 01:03 AM.
Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016217
02/17/22 07:21 AM
02/17/22 07:21 AM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted by CokeBottleKid
If people think that it is just a rich persons game a these Drag and Drive events, you couldn't be further from the truth. Most of them are simple blue collar workers. MOST do all the work on the cars themselves, and I mean ALL the work. The are ambitious people. They don't sit around and wait for others to do things for them. Mark, the guy that won Hot Rod class at Drag Week this year, has very little money into his 8 second truck, built from swap meet parts. He told me his daily driver is a rusty old truck with 500K on it, and not worth $500. These people sacrifice a lot of things others have/do, just so they can attend these events. You would be surprised how many cars arrive on open trailers. Richard Giudo DROVE his car from Canada, to Florida for the start of Sick Week. He isn't the only one.

Can't work on the car between tracks, or it's not a street car? PLEASE... I have to work on my s#!tbox daily driver once in a while. Just because YOU are not willing to do the things these people are, don't assume they are not street cars. This isn't the Fastest Daily driver competition.

Get out in the garage, get your car running, and stop being a armchair quarterback.

"Street" cars arriving on open trailers, is that how street cars drive, that's supposed to be impressive?

Guy driving from Canada to Florida... yes, 1 legit street car out of how many... also how many valvesprings/lifters he go through?

So your not impressed... No one that goes to these events cares if your impressed. If you don't like these events, why do you continue to follow this thread? When is the last time The Haze ran? 20 years ago? That doesn't impress me.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: sick week [Re: JERICOGTX] #3016265
02/17/22 12:15 PM
02/17/22 12:15 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Richard had no valvetrain or any other issues. The technology is alot better since these drag and drive events started in 2005.There were probably less than half a dozen that had valvetrain issues this year.Robert williams ran 8s and drove his car to the event. Granted he didnt have the drive to get there like Richard did but still did it.

Last edited by ksj; 02/17/22 12:16 PM.
Re: sick week [Re: ksj] #3016293
02/17/22 01:32 PM
02/17/22 01:32 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I see lots of reference to it being all Pontiac which is really cool. But makes me think a lot of folks here have not kept up on whats happening in the Pontiac world. Some pretty impressive parts and blocks for way less than we pay. Just sayin

As for no being impressed because a car gets trailered to an event but then proceeds to drive 800+ miles, in this case and runs 6,7,8,9, or even 10's does not impress you then please step up and show us all how it should be done rolleyes

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016315
02/17/22 02:44 PM
02/17/22 02:44 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita

LOL! My street car still gets trailered to the track. Why? I'm spoiled and like A/C, a popup tent for shade, minibike, cooler, tools...

Not sure why you have such a disdain for a trailer?

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: sick week [Re: JERICOGTX] #3016362
02/17/22 07:04 PM
02/17/22 07:04 PM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI

So your not impressed... No one that goes to these events cares if your impressed. If you don't like these events, why do you continue to follow this thread? When is the last time The Haze ran? 20 years ago? That doesn't impress me.

I'm not impressed with them making the whole event about 'street' cars when they really aren't, why are you getting so pissy and defensive? This is a discussion forum where we discuss things. And this thread is about discussing these types of races, which I am discussing.

Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016363
02/17/22 07:07 PM
02/17/22 07:07 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

3D7E7F8A-73AF-4101-A35D-53796721743D.jpeg

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: sick week [Re: GY3] #3016364
02/17/22 07:10 PM
02/17/22 07:10 PM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by GY3

LOL! My street car still gets trailered to the track. Why? I'm spoiled and like A/C, a popup tent for shade, minibike, cooler, tools...

Not sure why you have such a disdain for a trailer?

I don't have a problem with people trailing their cars to regular track events; but when it's an event centered around these cars being "street cars" and there's a whole part of the competition about the cars driving from track to track on their own power, but they show up to the event trailered... just undermines the whole point of the event (just like NASCAR). If they called it "Weird competition where race cars drive from track to track with baby trailers and replace valvesprings every 100 miles" I'd have no problem with it smile

Re: sick week [Re: pittsburghracer] #3016367
02/17/22 07:15 PM
02/17/22 07:15 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Everyone has there own opinion about what a "street car" is. That will never be settled. To some, a 30 mile drive proves it. For those who do Drag Week stuff, 800 + miles in a week is proof. To others, you have to drive it to work every day, all winter.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: sick week [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3016371
02/17/22 07:29 PM
02/17/22 07:29 PM
Denver, CO
B
BigBlockGTS Offline
pro stock
BigBlockGTS  Offline
pro stock
B

Denver, CO
Hemi Joel is right that a street car definition that all agree to will never be found but I'm sorry- If you drive a car 800 miles on various roads and race it several times, its a street car regardless of what someone says. 7 second cars occasionally eat valve train parts and need maintenance so to me some of that is to be expected. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as was said, this is a discussion forum but I am blown away that someone would look down on people that do this and not find it impressive.

Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016398
02/17/22 08:59 PM
02/17/22 08:59 PM
AZ
squirrel Offline
squirrel  Offline

AZ
I don't have a problem with people trailing their cars to regular track events; but when it's an event centered around these cars being "street cars" and there's a whole part of the competition about the cars driving from track to track on their own power, but they show up to the event trailered... just undermines the whole point of the event

There are a few of us who drive to this type of event and back home....but we're not generally driving the quickest cars.

Maybe you could give it a try, see how quick you can go in a car you can drive there and back. Go quicker than 10.0, I'll give you a lot of respect.

Re: sick week [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3016423
02/18/22 12:27 AM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Everyone has there own opinion about what a "street car" is. That will never be settled. To some, a 30 mile drive proves it. For those who do Drag Week stuff, 800 + miles in a week is proof. To others, you have to drive it to work every day, all winter.

Quite a jump, I'm not saying it has to be a daily, just you know, be able to not do major engine work (valve springs or lifters are major) in less than say 100k miles.

Re: sick week [Re: squirrel] #3016424
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by squirrel
I don't have a problem with people trailing their cars to regular track events; but when it's an event centered around these cars being "street cars" and there's a whole part of the competition about the cars driving from track to track on their own power, but they show up to the event trailered... just undermines the whole point of the event

There are a few of us who drive to this type of event and back home....but we're not generally driving the quickest cars.

Maybe you could give it a try, see how quick you can go in a car you can drive there and back. Go quicker than 10.0, I'll give you a lot of respect.

Squirrel! shock

And to you I give respect, as long as it hasn't had springs/lifters since you built it laugh

Last edited by CokeBottleKid; 02/18/22 12:29 AM.
Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016524
02/18/22 01:27 PM
02/18/22 01:27 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well some folks participate in motorsports some set on the sidelines and tell us all how it should be done. Nothing new been going on since time began.

Re: sick week [Re: Al_Alguire] #3016525
02/18/22 01:35 PM
02/18/22 01:35 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Well some folks participate in motorsports some set on the sidelines and tell us all how it should be done. Nothing new been going on since time began.

Yep. And share everything they have read in a book or learned on the internet.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016530
02/18/22 01:56 PM
02/18/22 01:56 PM
Pa.
C
crazytrain Offline
crazytrain  Offline
C

Pa.
CokeBottleKid, I trailered my car on an open trailer to this event from northern Pa, not because my car couldn't make the drive, but because you never know what is going to happen and I can at least get the car home if there happened to be catastrophic failure, because things do break. Mind you, my car is by far not the quickest, as it ran it's best of 11.74@113 on day one, but that is in a 4600# wagon with no power adder. But the goal for me for this event was not to impress people but rather to just survive the week, make the best passes I could, enjoy the drives and hanging out with like minded people. Even the tamest of vehicles have issues no matter how new or old, so you shouldn't judge people by whether they transport the car to an event or not.

Re: sick week [Re: Al_Alguire] #3016553
02/18/22 03:04 PM
02/18/22 03:04 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita

A Facebook group had a bunch of people telling the F.A.S.T. group which cars should be legal and which ones should not. Nevermind rules have been in place for years and (very good) reasons have been given for why they came to those conclusions. It's funny because people that have no skin in the game and don't even race in the series were the loudest to voice their opinions that, in the end, did not matter at all! Very similar situation here.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: sick week [Re: GY3] #3016555
02/18/22 03:12 PM
02/18/22 03:12 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
No different than what we get with NMCA NA10.5 and to some extent the West Coast NA group. AS they say "haters gonna hate"

Re: sick week [Re: Al_Alguire] #3016637
02/18/22 09:49 PM
02/18/22 09:49 PM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI

*shrug* maybe those people would participate if the competition and what it presents itself as made sense.

Re: sick week [Re: CokeBottleKid] #3016659
02/18/22 11:02 PM
02/18/22 11:02 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA

*shrug* maybe those people would participate if the competition and what it presents itself as made sense.

I remember a young man, under 25 Yrs. old probably, asking me why I was racing a non OEM 1963 Plymouth 2 door sedan with a Max wedge motor in it at the Winternationals in the late 1970s. I was the third owner of that original car, he had seen something somewhere about the OEM M.W. engine wiring harness having to be on the top of the passenger side inner fender well, not held onto the side of the inner fender well with the factory grommets mine came with originally. Mopar had made a change mid-year on were they located that harness on the M.W. cars due to the heat from the large cast iron exhaust manifolds was what I was told at one of the Mopar drag seminars by Tom Hoover in the mid 1970s.
When I told him he was mistaken on that information on the early M.W. cars he was sure his "source" was correct shruggy
Lots of experts out there read and repeat untruths tsk

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5