Washington
H
hemienvy Offline OP
super stock
hemienvy  Offline OP
super stock
H

Washington
For everything to go as planned, you need a few things that absolutely MUST work.

1.) A "known good" carb (and fuel pump)
2.) A "known good" ignition
3.) Stable and sufficent voltage, at least a good battery, if not a "known good" alternator and regulator as well.

Mixture has to be close enough to run for 20 minutes without overheating
Ignition must work and timing has to be quickly adjustable , also no overheating.

SO.

How do you KNOW if brand new untested carb and ignition parts will actually work ?

I don't think you can know that.

I have an OLD orange ignition box that worked 25 years ago. But I am thinking about firing the engine with a points distributor / coil, one that has been
checked on an old distributor machine and has a known advance curve. If the points gap is set, it should fire the engine, right ?

On the carb, if I put on a brand new Edelbrock/Carter and go through it first to make sure there is no debris in it, it should fire the engine, right ?

What else am I missing ?

orange.jpgback.jpg
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: hemienvy] #3012822
02/06/22 06:22 PM
02/06/22 06:22 PM
Arkansas
340727dart Offline
master
340727dart  Offline
master

Arkansas
As far as the carburetor, make sure to fill the float bowls with gasoline before trying to fire the engine. You want the engine to fire immediately so as to get oil flowing quickly.
It kills me to watch some of the car shows when they try firing an engine without filling the carburetor first. They crank and crank and crank waiting on the fuel pump to start getting fuel into the carburetor. It makes me cringe thinking about the wear happening on the lifters before the engine fires.

Your life is not my fault.
My life is none of your business.

Speech is free only if you agree with those in control.
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: hemienvy] #3012825
02/06/22 06:33 PM
02/06/22 06:33 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Make sure you have a good cooling system and there are no air pockets. If you have access to an Air Lift coolant filling system use it because it will also show coolant leaks. If you are breaking in a new flat cam follow the cam grinders recommendations to the letter for success. The card that came with my Howards cam had a procedure that is a little different than I'm used to. It was a few 10 minute intervals instead of the usual 20 minute straight deal which I prefer because you time to check things as you go.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: hemienvy] #3012871
02/06/22 09:03 PM
02/06/22 09:03 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by hemienvy

Mixture has to be close enough to run for 20 minutes without overheating.
If running hot, or headers turning red: indicates severe lean condition

Ignition must work and timing has to be quickly adjustable , also no overheating.
leave dist holddown bolt snug but not tight at first. If timing within reason then tighten.
During those 20 minutes do not keep a steady rpm. Blip the carb periodically. Helps to get more splash (oil)
around lifter cavity area.

SO.

How do you KNOW if brand new untested carb and ignition parts will actually work ?
do you mean New but Untested?.
There are various checks U should do on ANY carb, new even rebuilt.

I have an OLD orange ignition box that worked 25 years ago. But I am thinking about firing the engine with a points distributor / coil, one that has been
checked on an old distributor machine and has a known advance curve. If the points gap is set, it should fire the engine, right ?
If you're already wired for that box, then use it. You'll know right off it works OK.

On the carb, if I put on a brand new Edelbrock/Carter and go through it first to make sure there is no debris in it, it should fire the engine, right ?

What else am I missing ?
Always pays to have a 2nd pair of eyes at fire up. Too many important things to monitor during those minutes.
One may be adjusting carb/timing, while other checks for leaks/etc (top & bottom. Listening for odd sounds.

Re: Firing a new engine [Re: PhillyRag] #3012961
02/07/22 09:05 AM
02/07/22 09:05 AM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
We set ignition timing during build. What initial do you want? rotate engine to that point before TDC and rotate distributor so the points just open or reductor in line with coil. This will be close enough. Test fire distributor for spark before installation. On the run stand or cars system before hand. On day of firing, Use a test distributor to test ignition system again just be for cranking. Good spark you are ready. We use an electric pump through mechanical. After initial run, you can turn it off to ensure pump is working sufficiently.

Re: Firing a new engine [Re: dragon slayer] #3012968
02/07/22 09:49 AM
02/07/22 09:49 AM
New Jersey, USA
Y
yella71 Offline
pro stock
yella71  Offline
pro stock
Y

New Jersey, USA
I set my carb up and put it on a friends engine and dialed it in so that was a non issue . set your timing and have a friend with you for an extra set of eyes.

71 challenger convertable, 64 sport fury 383 ci with factory air 99 sebring convertable 89 CTD pup
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: yella71] #3012994
02/07/22 12:01 PM
02/07/22 12:01 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
On a big block spin over to tdc and the distributor gear will be able to be moved to parallel with the crank(slot will be perfectly straight across looking down in the hole. This will put the rotor right on tdc when you drop in the distributor. If you are 180 out, the slot will be turned ever so slightly. Once you see both ways for the first time it’s obvious from then on.

I want my fair share
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: hemienvy] #3013055
02/07/22 02:47 PM
02/07/22 02:47 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I prime the oil pump just before starting and spin the motor over with the plugs out on the starter then set the crank timing marks at 12 to 18 BTDC and install the distributor so it is firing #1 aligning the magnetic pickup with the distributor cap off and use a known good carb and prime it with some fresh gas, I set the total advance as soon as possible to 34 BTDC on BB, 426 Hemi and 32 on SB with the motor running above the full advance RPM wrench scope up
I do try and vary the RPM from 1500 RPM up to 2500 RPM revving it several times about every 2 to 3 minutes to sling more oil on the cam and load the rings a tiny bit to help seat them wrench

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 02/07/22 02:49 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: Cab_Burge] #3013121
02/07/22 05:40 PM
02/07/22 05:40 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
I like to have the car ready to drive then when the cam break in is over and all looks good and no leaks I go drive it right then to help seal the rings. Never let to cool off just go drive it.

Re: Firing a new engine [Re: hemienvy] #3013314
02/08/22 11:38 AM
02/08/22 11:38 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
disable the starter & have a helper hold the ign to "start" with a spare dist plugged in & spin the dist by hand & confirm that the wiring is correct & that the ECU is firing at the plugs. do this with the key in "run" also. turn the crank to #6 & #8 to preoil the heads ( BB) or 20 deg ATDC #6 compression and 90 deg (1/4 turn) BTDC #1 compression for SB. Have initial at 15-20 BTDC to fire it (can depend on cam). not sure what total to set it at when it fires. UTG says ign boxes (I think he was referring to orange) fire later than what the timing marks say for initial (not sure if that is correct or not). #1 as you know you is want it to fire within several revolutions of cranking.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Firing a new engine [Re: hemienvy] #3013385
02/08/22 03:04 PM
02/08/22 03:04 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Originally Posted by hemienvy

You can, but have to be willing to jump through flaming hoops of fire and so on.

an entire ignition can be wired up and laid on a bench, all the way to 8 spark plugs, the distributor can be spun by hand or gently placed in a vise
and spun with a drill motor, spark can then be observed on the bench for every cylinder. This is good for puzzling situations where everything else has failed.
If the spark looks like weak orange junk, that's exactly what it is and it needs to be fixed.

Alternately, before the last step of priming, with the distributor out of the engine, you can take a spare plug wire, attach a spark plug, run that to your
coil tower out of the coil, turn the ignition on, spin the distributor by hand and observe the spark. This ensures the entire primary circuit of the ignition functions, and takes the secondary side of the ignition on faith (this is how I do it when reasonably confident the cap rotor and wires are ok).

You'll encounter many who will say this kind of thing is ridiculous, they're usually the same folks who crank the engine for an hour, eventually find the error and get the engine running, then months later blame the cam when it goes flat.

As far as the carb goes....with the carb suspended/not sitting on a bench, fill the bowls manually through the bowl vents, hold the butterflies wide open and blow 100psi or so compressed air through the barrels with a basic air nozzle. Do this for a fraction of a second and observe. You should be able to see fuel being pulled through the booster venturi. Assuming you can, the carb will generally work well enough to at least run on the main metering circuit. It may not "run well" but with the throttle open sufficiently it can get you through break in. (Put out your Marlboro Red when doing this. Smoking is bad.) Bolt the carb on the engine after that.

Many might be surprised to hear you can start an engine with no carburetor at all, nothing but a squirt bottle of fuel and the right touch.
The problem with this is, rpm is not controllable. It is strictly a junkyard/salvage engine "must hear it run" kind of a test only good for a second or two.

Many might be surprised that 20+ minutes straight is totally not necessary AS LONG AS the engine fires right up easily.
Instead, you can do 3 to 5 minutes at a time, avoid getting anything hot, and also establish the desired wear pattern on an antiquated flat tappet
setup with a whole lot less stress, and plenty of opportunities to take care of any issues that come up.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri