Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline OP
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline OP
super stock
A

Usa
Our Barracuda was torn down in the early 90s and the complete dash was stored in our conditioned basement. OD says 16k miles, no reason to believe it was 116k, so everything was fairly lightly used in that respect. I'm rebuilding the dash now and trying to determine the need for a replacement harness. The original appears to be in great shape, not spliced in any way. I plan to have a disconnect from the battery anytime the car is in storage, but curious what the general consensus is on replacing the harness. Is it an absolute simply given the age or a need by need basis?

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: A39Coronet] #3012350
02/05/22 01:21 AM
02/05/22 01:21 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
That's low mileage = little use if it's really 16K & mostly indoors.
If the connectors & terminals look nice, and the wiring isn't brittle, should be fine.
You could do a resistance test.

Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: A39Coronet] #3012680
02/06/22 09:07 AM
02/06/22 09:07 AM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline OP
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline OP
super stock
A

Usa
Thanks for that feedback, that was my thought as well. Wires feel like new, connectors feel tight, very little if any corrosion on anything that I can get my eyes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: A39Coronet] #3013005
02/07/22 12:31 PM
02/07/22 12:31 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
one place to look very carefully at, no matter the age [or mileage] is the connection at the bottom of the steering column.
i have seen, and repaired, MANY of those connectors because they get hot and melt.
dodge, chrysler, or plymouth, it doesn't seem to matter. for some reason, [and i suspect vibration as the instigator] the earlier models with just the turn signal switch and horn, are not too bad for this, but it still happens.
however, when the key went into the column, those connections really started to show "meltyness" problems.
hopefully, the OP's connection is good there. if so, it still should be taken apart and the crimps should be checked for tightness as well as the male and female pins fitting together tightly.
after that inspection, with all being good, add a dab of die-electric grease to the connections before plugging them together.
beer

Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: moparx] #3013287
02/08/22 08:57 AM
02/08/22 08:57 AM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline OP
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline OP
super stock
A

Usa
Originally Posted by moparx
one place to look very carefully at, no matter the age [or mileage] is the connection at the bottom of the steering column.
i have seen, and repaired, MANY of those connectors because they get hot and melt.
dodge, chrysler, or plymouth, it doesn't seem to matter. for some reason, [and i suspect vibration as the instigator] the earlier models with just the turn signal switch and horn, are not too bad for this, but it still happens.
however, when the key went into the column, those connections really started to show "meltyness" problems.
hopefully, the OP's connection is good there. if so, it still should be taken apart and the crimps should be checked for tightness as well as the male and female pins fitting together tightly.
after that inspection, with all being good, add a dab of die-electric grease to the connections before plugging them together.
beer

Agreed, I'll be sure to look over the steering connector with heightened concern, good suggestion.

Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: moparx] #3013539
02/08/22 10:03 PM
02/08/22 10:03 PM
PA
70HemiGTX Offline
top fuel
70HemiGTX  Offline
top fuel

PA
beer

Exactly the place I had problems with my 71 Challenger R/T. It would over charge and the ammeter would bounce around and it would pop the tops off the battery! I could not find the problem. Three garages could not find it. One day I was laying on the floor under the steering column just looking around. I saw a big black streak in the connector that goes to the steering column. The heavy "hot" wire was melted together and burned. I could not get the connection apart.
So I just clipped the two wires off and butt connected them. That fixed my charging issue.

Last edited by 70HemiGTX; 02/08/22 10:04 PM.
Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: 70HemiGTX] #3013705
02/09/22 01:18 PM
02/09/22 01:18 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
those are called "MOLLEX" connectors if i remember right.
the two sizes used are .093 and .125, again if i remember correctly.
the kits can be bought in several places, as well as the individual items.
i make sure i have all of the items needed on hand because this is such a common problem.
one thing to make DAM sure of when replacing each of the connectors. when you are done with your crimp, look at the mating surfaces and be SURE they are ROUND.
if they are not, just the sides of the terminals will touch, which means the current flow is only through two VERY THIN contact points. resistance is up, heat is caused, and we all know what happens next.
i can't stress this enough. it is especially critical on the female side, and when you push the connectors together, make SURE you push them together STRAIGHT.
if you fight them, there is a very good chance one or more of the female terminals will get egg shaped.
this is probably one of the reasons the newer stuff went to those tiny spade type with the flap on the female side, to ensure a tight connection at the column.
beer

Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: A39Coronet] #3018778
02/25/22 11:20 AM
02/25/22 11:20 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by A39Coronet
beer

Agreed, I'll be sure to look over the steering connector with heightened concern, good suggestion.

Another spot to check is the bulkhead where the heavy wire that goes to the ammeter comes in , a poor connection in this spot causes the wire to overheat , it's caused by resistance buildup in the connection itself . it can get hot enough to melt the bulk head . sometime in the late 70's/early 80's Chrysler finally realized this was an issue and made this wire pass thru the firewall without connectors.

running up my post count some more .
Re: Replacement Dash Harness [Re: moparx] #3025387
03/19/22 11:13 AM
03/19/22 11:13 AM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
those are called "MOLLEX" connectors if i remember right.
the two sizes used are .093 and .125, again if i remember correctly.
the kits can be bought in several places, as well as the individual items.
i make sure i have all of the items needed on hand because this is such a common problem.
one thing to make DAM sure of when replacing each of the connectors. when you are done with your crimp, look at the mating surfaces and be SURE they are ROUND.
if they are not, just the sides of the terminals will touch, which means the current flow is only through two VERY THIN contact points. resistance is up, heat is caused, and we all know what happens next.
i can't stress this enough. it is especially critical on the female side, and when you push the connectors together, make SURE you push them together STRAIGHT.
if you fight them, there is a very good chance one or more of the female terminals will get egg shaped.
this is probably one of the reasons the newer stuff went to those tiny spade type with the flap on the female side, to ensure a tight connection at the column.
beer

As mentioned above, MOLEX are the correct terminals to use and are as far as i know they are still made today. When i did my car years back i had to get them to fix/restore a few harnesses. However if i remember correctly you have to use a MOLEX style crimp tool if you are looking for the correct look. Excellent point above on making sure everything is round for a good connection. Also make sure the small barbs are sticking out so the terminal fights tightly in the plastic housing.

Super Commando