Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
this an FYI post thinking possibly one of you knows a source.
I needed a long reach (6") 9/64 ball driver to get to a difficult SHCS. So I went to my Gear Wrench set to find it jumps from 1/8" to 5/32"
At first I thought one my ex employees likely lost it. BUT I was shocked to find that ALL the sets out there do the same. Every tool MFR that I checked (even Snap off) jumps the 9/64. BUT they do not do so on the shorter sets. STRANGE!!!!
During my quest to find the elusive bit I discovered that HF has a "NEWLY" introduced 8 piece set, and OMG it has the 9/64 included. BUT it's 44.00 and I really don't want to buy another complete set as I rarely use them.
So I will wait and see, betting if HF has it others will soon follow at a lower price or I'll fab one up when I have the time
beer

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: TJP] #3009257
01/26/22 03:09 PM
01/26/22 03:09 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
betting if HF has it others will soon follow at a lower price

LOL - and you're going to trust something that's less expensive than Harbor Freight ?!?!

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: TJP] #3009393
01/26/22 08:43 PM
01/26/22 08:43 PM
Iowa
R
ratroaster Offline
enthusiast
ratroaster  Offline
enthusiast
R

Iowa
FYI- That's 3.5 mm...just sayin...

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: Stanton] #3009394
01/26/22 08:45 PM
01/26/22 08:45 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Stanton

LOL - and you're going to trust something that's less expensive than Harbor Freight ?!?!

Yep, my 1st thought too!

I suppose the need for the tool isn't as bad as he makes it sound. I've spent way more the $45 to buy a tool for a one time use when I needed it, and I'm a cheap sob.

Then again, it might be such a thing that that particular tool will become readily available in 6 months, but how much will inflation raise the price in 6 months, provided you could ever find it cheaper the HF has it now?

I'm having a difficult time feeling sorry for the guy. If you need the tool, buy it. You can use the other pieces in the set when you loose them or break them.

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: Stanton] #3009451
01/26/22 11:23 PM
01/26/22 11:23 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

just where do you think 95% of the tools these days are coming from? Same place HF get's theirs whistling

In addition anyone that leans on a 6" long, 9/64 ball driver is going to get a lesson in what not to do argue

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: poorboy] #3009453
01/26/22 11:27 PM
01/26/22 11:27 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by poorboy
I'm having a difficult time feeling sorry for the guy. If you need the tool, buy it. You can use the other pieces in the set when you loose them or break them.

Where did I ask for your sympathy? fan
I asked if anyone knew a source I had not been able to find and to make others aware that the RARELY used 6" ball drivers were missing a common size bit. ozbbq

Yep, my 1st thought too!

Yep, my 1st thought too!
I didn't ask for anyone's thoughts,
I suppose the need for the tool isn't as bad as he makes it sound.

Nor did I say the need for the tool was bad, just That I could've have used it and was surprised that it was not included in the sets

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: TJP] #3009523
01/27/22 10:25 AM
01/27/22 10:25 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by poorboy

Where did I ask for your sympathy? fan
I asked if anyone knew a source I had not been able to find and to make others aware that the RARELY used 6" ball drivers were missing a common size bit. ozbbq

Yep, my 1st thought too!

Yep, my 1st thought too!
I didn't ask for anyone's thoughts,
I suppose the need for the tool isn't as bad as he makes it sound.

Nor did I say the need for the tool was bad, just That I could've have used it and was surprised that it was not included in the sets

You're getting all upset but its your own damn fault for such a stupid post.. First, if the size were so "common" as you state, you'd already have it in your toolbox. Second, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a box or jar of loose multiples of allen wrenches. Anyone else would just take the closest next size up and grind it to fit. And third, a quick Google of a conversion table would have given you the metric size which is probably more common than the standard one. But "cheaper than Harbor Freight" ... that one takes the cake !!! That's like seeing something at the Family Dollar and thinking you'll find it cheaper elsewhere !!

Re: 9/64 x 6 inch ball driver 3/8 drive ? and FYI [Re: Stanton] #3009597
01/27/22 01:58 PM
01/27/22 01:58 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

You're getting all upset but its your own damn fault for such a stupid post.. First, if the size were so "common" as you state, you'd already have it in your toolbox. Second, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a box or jar of loose multiples of allen wrenches. Anyone else would just take the closest next size up and grind it to fit. And third, a quick Google of a conversion table would have given you the metric size which is probably more common than the standard one. But "cheaper than Harbor Freight" ... that one takes the cake !!! That's like seeing something at the Family Dollar and thinking you'll find it cheaper elsewhere !!

1. Upset, a bit, a bad day yesterday finally get to come here to relax and face criticism for an FYI post with a question from you and another
2. Stupid post? Who/what gives you the right to judge?
3. If you took the time to look at all other sets you would find the 9/64 IS COMMON and primarily used on 8-32 SHCS, set screws and button heads of different sizes
4. I have PLENTY of 9/64 allens. Some of which are even BALL DRIVERS, but not one that was 6" long.
5. Maybe you should re- read the post title and 1st sentence before launching, It's pictured below for your convenience.
6. Show me where a 3.5mm x 6" (152.4mm) long with a 3/8 drive is available
7. 9/64 is actually 3.57mm
8. Grind one to fit? I'm not that much of a hack but I could have machined one whistling
9. As previously mentioned (which you likely blew by)
HF has a "NEWLY" introduced 8 piece set, and OMG it has the 9/64 included. BUT it's 44.00 and I really don't want to buy another complete set as I rarely use them.

I was shocked to find that ALL the sets out there do the same. Every tool MFR that I checked (even Snap off) jumps the 9/64. BUT they do not do so on the shorter sets.

An FYI post with a question does not invite or entitle you to criticize another. We are supposed to be here to HELP each other. So from this point forward I'll ignore you and suggest you do the same.

Capture.JPG