01/19/22 09:36 PM
01/19/22 09:36 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3L V6 and the power steering pump is leaking like crazy. Have any of you guys ever changed the pump on one of these? The YouTube videos I've watched make it look like a real pain. If I tackle it I'm going to be doing it in 38 degree cold so I just want to hear how it was from someone that's actually done it.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: MadMatt] #3006997
01/19/22 09:51 PM
01/19/22 09:51 PM
Central NY
G
GarageDodge Offline
mopar
GarageDodge  Offline
mopar
G

Central NY
They are a REAL pain,even with a lift.

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: GarageDodge] #3007169
01/20/22 01:11 PM
01/20/22 01:11 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
a BIG 10-4 on being a HUGE pain to change out ! down rant
take out the wiper tray, and it will give you extra room for your arms and hands, as well as better sight to see what you are doing.
also, instead of taking down the exhaust, especially if it is a little crusty, by removing the crank damper/pulley, you can maneuver the pump out through the passenger side wheel well.
not a fun job by any stretch of the imagination.
too bad you have to do it in the cold........
beer

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: moparx] #3007270
01/20/22 04:17 PM
01/20/22 04:17 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
Matt, douche the thing off, throw in some magic sealer, and have the kid trade it for another rig - that thing's ripe, and you've been patching it for some time.
(Says the guy with 310,000 on his Breeze... laugh2)
- or -
No room in the garage to move the Dart over & get some heat going ?
- or -
See what Honest Mikey's Used Cars might have layin' around...

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: topside] #3007320
01/20/22 05:53 PM
01/20/22 05:53 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
It needs to go to the scrap yard. Michael just started a new job so I was hoping to maybe get a few more months out of it while he saves some cash, but I guess he's just gonna have to keep pissing ps fluid. And I've put enough sealant in there to close up a small canyon with no luck.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: MadMatt] #3007343
01/20/22 06:59 PM
01/20/22 06:59 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
Hmmm...sawdust ? laugh2

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: topside] #3007604
01/21/22 02:57 PM
01/21/22 02:57 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
just something to think about on this issue.
look the reservoir over good to rule out leaks from it.
look the hose and clamps over good for issues there.
that leaves the pump itself. of all the Gen 3 "busses" ]96-2000] i have owned over the years, i have never seen leakage from the pulley shaft, even with close to 3k miles. the can to pump seal/o-ring seems to be a pretty reliable item as well. however, i have seen the can itself crack, and believe it or not, rust through.
if that is where it is leaking, knock off the rust and get to bare metal around it. same with a crack. then use quick set JB Weld. that will buy you time until you pass this off to the boneyard.
one other place i forgot to mention, is check the K member where the hoses to the rack are clamped. sometimes dirt and rust collect there, finally making it's way through the hoses.
just things i have run into over the years with this model van [bus-my term biggrin] with this engine.
don't know if this is any help or not.
beer

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: moparx] #3007611
01/21/22 03:25 PM
01/21/22 03:25 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I thought mine was bad on my 06 T&C and it turned out to be the rack. Replaced the rack and now the pump is definitely shot. I just let it whine and keep driving it... punkrocka

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: Rhinodart] #3007626
01/21/22 04:03 PM
01/21/22 04:03 PM
Ringtown, Pa.
Dartsport540 Offline
top fuel
Dartsport540  Offline
top fuel

Ringtown, Pa.
Identifix says 3 hours.

3.3/3.8 LITER POWER STEERING PUMP
REMOVE
WARNING: POWER STEERING OIL, ENGINE COMPONENTS AND THE EXHAUST SYSTEM MAY BE EXTREMELY HOT IF ENGINE HAS BEEN RUNNING. DO NOT START ENGINE WITH ANY LOOSE OR DISCONNECTED HOSES. DO NOT ALLOW HOSES TO TOUCH HOT EXHAUST MANIFOLD OR CATALYST.

Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist. See Hoisting, in the Lubrication and Maintenance section of this MDS2 for the required lifting procedure.
Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness. Access to connection at vehicle wiring harness is through the oxygen sensor wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle
NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.

Remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Then remove all the exhaust system hangers/isolators from the brackets on the exhaust system.
Move the exhaust system as far rearward and to the left side of the vehicle as possible Exhaust Position For Removing Power Steering Pump
Raise the heat sleeve on the power steering hoses to expose the hose to steel tube connection. Remove the hose from the power steering fluid return line on the front suspension cradle Power Steering Return Hose At Return Line Allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the pump and fluid reservoir through the removed return hose.
Remove the accessory drive splash shield Accessory Drive Splash Shield
Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine Serpentine Drive Belt And Routing See Cooling, Group 7 for detailed removal procedure.
Remove the power steering fluid supply hose coming from the remote fluid reservoir, from the fitting on the power steering pump Power Steering Hoses At Power Steering Pump Drain off excess power steering fluid from hose.
Remove the power steering fluid pressure line Power Steering Hoses At Power Steering Pump from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
Remove the power steering fluid return hose Power Steering Hoses At Power Steering Pump from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
Remove the support bracket at the rear of the power steering pump attaching the pump to the rear of the engine Power Steering Pump Support Bracket
Remove the 3 bolts mounting the power steering pump to the alternator/power steering pump and belt tensioner mounting bracket Power Steering Pump Mounting Bolts
Remove the power steering pump from its mounting bracket.
The power steering pump is removed from the vehicle by pulling it out through the exhaust tunnel area in the floor pan of the vehicle.
INSTALL
Install power steering pump back in vehicle using the reverse order of its removal through the exhaust tunnel are of the vehicle.
Install the power steering pump on its mounting bracket. Install the 3 power steering pump mounting bolts Power Steering Pump Mounting Bolts Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to a torque of 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
Install the support bracket attaching rear of power steering pump to engine Power Steering Pump Support Bracket Tighten the nut and bolt holding the strut assembly to bracket and the intake manifold stud to a torque of 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs)
NOTE: Before installing power steering pressure hose on power steering pump, inspect the O-ring on the power steering pressure hose for damage and replace if required.

Install the power steering fluid pressure line onto the output fitting of the power steering pump Power Steering Hoses At Power Steering Pump Tighten the pressure line to pump fitting tube nut to a torque of 31 N·m (275 in. lbs.)
Install the power steering fluid, low pressure return hose on the power steering pump low pressure fitting Power Steering Hoses At Power Steering PumpBe sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
Install the power steering fluid supply hose from the power steering fluid reservoir, on the power steering pump fluid fitting Power Steering Hoses At Power Steering PumpBe sure hose is clear of accessory drive belts and all hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
Install the serpentine drive belt Serpentine Drive Belt And Routing See Cooling, Group 7 for detailed installation procedure.
Install the power steering fluid return hose on the steel tube at the front suspension cradle Power Steering Return Hose At Return Line
Install a screw type hose clamp on the power steering hose to steel tube connection. Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled. Tighten the screw clamp to a torque of 2 N·m (18 in. lbs.)
CAUTION: The protective heat shield sleeves must cover the entire rubber hose and hose to tube connection portion of both the power steering fluid pressure and return hoses Power Steering Return Hose At Return Line This is required to keep the power steering hoses from becoming overheated.

When used, properly position the protective heat sleeves on the power steering hoses Power Steering Return Hose At Return Line Then, tie strap the heat sleeves to the power steering hoses to keep them in their proper position.
Install the exhaust pipe on the exhaust manifold. Install all exhaust system hangers/isolators on the exhaust system brackets.
Connect the oxygen sensor wiring harness to the vehicle wiring harness. Install wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle.
Install the accessory drive splash shield Accessory Drive Splash Shield
Lower vehicle
CAUTION: Do not use automatic transmission fluid in power steering system. Only use Mopar®, Power Steering Fluid, or equivalent.

Fill the remote power steering pump fluid reservoir to correct fluid level.
Install cap on power steering fluid reservoir.
Connect the negative battery cable on the negative battery post.
Start engine and turn steering wheel several times from stop to stop to bleed air from fluid in system. Stop engine, check fluid level, and inspect system for leaks. See Checking Fluid Level.

548 cu. in., Bill Mitchell Aluminum Block, CRT 727 auto trans, Alston Chassis. 8.981et at 149.46 mph. 1.204et - 60 foot, So Far....
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: Dartsport540] #3007635
01/21/22 04:38 PM
01/21/22 04:38 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by Dartsport540
Identifix says 3 hours.

NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.

Any time I start messing with old rusty exhaust components it NEVER takes three hours. The hours worth of cussing maybe...

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: Rhinodart] #3007768
01/22/22 01:36 AM
01/22/22 01:36 AM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I thought mine was bad on my 06 T&C and it turned out to be the rack. Replaced the rack and now the pump is definitely shot. I just let it whine and keep driving it... punkrocka

Did you know there is a filter in the plastic fluid reservoir? Replace that and the pump quiets down.

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: 4406bbl] #3007781
01/22/22 08:16 AM
01/22/22 08:16 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Online content
master
ruderunner  Online Content
master
R

ohio
I've been probably 10 to 1 lines vs pumps.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: 4406bbl] #3007794
01/22/22 10:15 AM
01/22/22 10:15 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

Did you know there is a filter in the plastic fluid reservoir? Replace that and the pump quiets down.

Remove completely or replace with new? shruggy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: Rhinodart] #3007798
01/22/22 10:29 AM
01/22/22 10:29 AM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Yes and change the fluid a few times. The reservoir is 603-934 Dorman and like 20 bucks. There is also a tsb on those to put a 3-4 ft line on the reservoir to the rack/cooler with a loop in it to stop the air lock it get, the small 11/32 line is the one. I just changed the reservoir after running a gallon of fluid thru the old system, remove line, run motor until it was clear then new reservoir I am also told to use plus-4 fluid but I did not as mine had clear fluid.

Re: 98 Grand Caravan PS pump question [Re: wingman] #3007839
01/22/22 01:03 PM
01/22/22 01:03 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by wingman
Originally Posted by Dartsport540
Identifix says 3 hours.

Any time I start messing with old rusty exhaust components it NEVER takes three hours. The hours worth of cussing maybe...

three hours of inventing NEW words ! biggrin

that is why i said to remove the crank pulley/dampner. the pump can be removed from the passenger wheel house that way, and you can leave the exhaust alone.
beer