Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Kern Dog] #3006459
01/18/22 11:21 AM
01/18/22 11:21 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
One of the things that I like about construction is that there is often a sense of camaraderie among the guys. It is sort of like a sports team or the military in that you have several men working together toward a common goal.
Many times, I prefer to work on my cars alone. Distractions from others can cloud my thought process and lead to screw-ups.
Other times though, I like having friends around. The jokes, the stories and sometimes pranks make it a lot of fun.
I joined a car club in 2004 for this very reason. I figured that guys that joined a Mopar club might be the type I'd like to do car projects with.
It has not worked out that way. While they are nice people, most of the members never do anything. No car shows, no junkyard crawls, no interest in car movies and IF they have a classic, it never shows any progress.
That is very disappointing.
One friend of mine here has all but lost interest in cars since he sold his Challenger to fund the purchase of property. I've reached out to the car club guys but as stated, most of them are nowhere near as car crazy as I am. I do know of a couple more though.
Sometimes if I commit to the guys coming over, it motivates me to get up and moving. If it is up to me (And it is cloudy or cold) it is easy to just stay inside.
Do you enjoy having the guys over or do you prefer to work and tinker alone?

That's the thing I miss the most about construction work, I took a job in a chemical plant 26 years ago.

I work alone about 99% of the time as there really aren't that many car guys around here and few are Mopar guys.

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Ramrod39] #3006460
01/18/22 11:23 AM
01/18/22 11:23 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by Ramrod39
I always built my project cars by myself. I'm kind of a control freak and I never minded being by myself.

Same.

I'll help other people with their cars at their house but I do everything myself on my car including engine and trans installation.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: PhillyRag] #3006500
01/18/22 12:42 PM
01/18/22 12:42 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
One friend of mine here has all but lost interest in cars since he sold his Challenger to fund the purchase of property.

Good for him. He found a new interest/hobby, OR something that will give him a better "return", or satisfaction down the road.
Strange response on a car forum. Old Mopars are supposed to bring satisfaction and joy and aren't about a better "return" if you mean financially.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: justinp61] #3006501
01/18/22 12:44 PM
01/18/22 12:44 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by justinp61
One of the things that I like about construction is that there is often a sense of camaraderie among the guys. It is sort of like a sports team or the military in that you have several men working together toward a common goal.
Many times, I prefer to work on my cars alone. Distractions from others can cloud my thought process and lead to screw-ups.
Other times though, I like having friends around. The jokes, the stories and sometimes pranks make it a lot of fun.
I joined a car club in 2004 for this very reason. I figured that guys that joined a Mopar club might be the type I'd like to do car projects with.
It has not worked out that way. While they are nice people, most of the members never do anything. No car shows, no junkyard crawls, no interest in car movies and IF they have a classic, it never shows any progress.
That is very disappointing.
One friend of mine here has all but lost interest in cars since he sold his Challenger to fund the purchase of property. I've reached out to the car club guys but as stated, most of them are nowhere near as car crazy as I am. I do know of a couple more though.
Sometimes if I commit to the guys coming over, it motivates me to get up and moving. If it is up to me (And it is cloudy or cold) it is easy to just stay inside.

That's the thing I miss the most about construction work, I took a job in a chemical plant 26 years ago.

I work alone about 99% of the time as there really aren't that many car guys around here and few are Mopar guys.
Same here regarding cars. Too bad because it would be helpful and enjoyable with someone else sometimes. Had a great time a couple of times when Scratchn (Mike) made the long haul from West coast to help me out with stuff on my Power Wagon.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: larrymopar360] #3006613
01/18/22 09:15 PM
01/18/22 09:15 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I do prefer to do some things by myself without any distractions. As another member mentioned, bodywork !
I've had car owners want to help on their cars and every time, I have had to go over their work. I'm not an OCD perfectionist but I do try to get the body and paint to look as good as I am capable.
Engine building? Oh yeah. A chatterbox buddy can distract you enough to make a mistake that shows up during break in or miles down the road.
Most of the time when I really appreciate the help is on some junker car where precision isn't a factor.
Lifting hoods with helpers avoids scratches.
Breaking in an engine is another time where extra eyes really helps.
I do get help from the wife for moving cars around the yard, bleeding brakes and some other medium duty tasks. She is strong enough to help lift steel hoods too!
It does come back to the guys working together though. If you've never been in the military, been on a sports team or worked alongside a bunch of like minded guys, you might not understand why I say that I really like the camaraderie. It really is a thing.
Years ago, We'd have marathon sessions doing engine swaps. In the 80s and 90s, lowered cars and mini trucks were the big thing. I was "the guy" in the neighborhood with a floor jack and jackstands so I got tapped to chop coil springs, install lowering blocks, do spring-under jobs, etc.
I rarely drink...same for most of the dudes that I hung out with. When we were focused on a project, if there was a screw up, we only had our own incompetence to blame.

1 laugh 1.jpg
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: larrymopar360] #3006631
01/18/22 11:00 PM
01/18/22 11:00 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
One friend of mine here has all but lost interest in cars since he sold his Challenger to fund the purchase of property.

Good for him. He found a new interest/hobby, OR something that will give him a better "return", or satisfaction down the road.
Strange response on a car forum. Old Mopars are supposed to bring satisfaction and joy and aren't about a better "return" if you mean financially.

Not really; since there was another posting about "mopars being someone's worst investment".
Well they're "supposed" to be satisfying, UNTIL some realize they're "over their head" wrt the work involved/money needed to finish them.
Shame, not many years ago it was very possible to have a "nice" vintage car to drive/enjoy, without going into deep-debt.
With paint prices today, and finding a good reasonable $$ shop, they've climbed to high on the "elitist ladder" for many, especially for the "younger" crowd wanting to get involved.

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: PhillyRag] #3006635
01/18/22 11:19 PM
01/18/22 11:19 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
It is about 50/50 with me whether I get more done on my own or when friends are over. Sometimes we get things done quick and right, sometimes we get drunk and tell too many stories then the night it over and nothing got done! Both are good times though... punkrocka

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Rhinodart] #3006644
01/18/22 11:55 PM
01/18/22 11:55 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
To be honest, I prefer to have a buddy over. I have lived with a repaired detached retina most of my life and about 5 years ago a torn one in the other eye. Both were fixed but bad floaters. Basically, my eyesight sucks. I need huge amounts of light to see stuff and it has really affected my confidence. When I walk I now find myself looking down non-stop. Some of that is due to cataract surgery with the near/far thing, but I like my car buddies and they are more knowledgeable than me. They also seem to have a lot more patience which helps me stay calmer also.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: ] #3006735
01/19/22 10:57 AM
01/19/22 10:57 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Superfreak
I am a superintendent for a construction company doing commercial and industrial work and I find that I have to deal with a good amount of stupid people so my shop time is
my solace time. The wife has no issue with me spending a lot of time in the shop.

iagree One of my buds calls it "Shop Therapy".

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: 6PakBee] #3006740
01/19/22 11:16 AM
01/19/22 11:16 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Local guys bring their Mopars over to my shop in the winter to work on them since I have heated floors. Beats busting their nuts off in an unheated garage at home. Last year I helped with a RR project, this winter I helped with a Dart project. I like the company and I can usually help move the projects along since I have a big stash of Mopar parts sitting on the shelf.

DSC_4437 (Large).JPGDSC_4744 (Large).JPG
Last edited by AndyF; 01/19/22 11:18 AM.
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: AndyF] #3006742
01/19/22 11:27 AM
01/19/22 11:27 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
At the moment a guy has his Buick in my shop since it doesn't fit in the garage at his house. He comes over and works on it once a week. We chat while we work and then usually go grab some lunch.

DSC_4838 (Large).JPG
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Kern Dog] #3006941
01/19/22 08:01 PM
01/19/22 08:01 PM
Anoka County, MN
L
Leigh Online content
master
Leigh  Online Content
master
L

Anoka County, MN
The 2 people I would welcome their help, have their projects to handle, or are 75 miles round trip away. Hence, since 1978, I have wrenched solo.

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Leigh] #3006955
01/19/22 08:45 PM
01/19/22 08:45 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
For me, it really depends on what we may be doing as the project of the day. Some things I really need to pay undivided attention to, and other projects are more laid back. I suppose the urgency of the project moving forward in the shortest time also plays a big effect on weather I want help or not.

There are a few guys I can work well with, but those guys understand how my mind works. I do not multitask. I'm the one thing at a time guy. If I have to lay out a plan for someone else, and a plan for myself, we would tend to do whatever the other guy's part of the project is, but if they know what they need to do, then we can both get something done. If I need to help them, I tend to teach them things along the way.

My son and I have become pretty good at working together (its taken years to get to this point). He is a great welder, but just can't fully grasp the process of a custom fabrication project. When we work together, I guide him on how to make patterns, and help him lay them out on the metal to cut, then he does the cutting. Then I guide him in the metal bending process, and he will bend the metal, and is getting really good at the final metal fitting and the welding. We are gaining on making stuff pretty. We set up projects as a 2-3 day process because his time is limited, and we usually accomplish the mission in the given time. As he is gaining in experience, we find more time to talk as we work, but that talk time has to be after I have done the part I need to do, and while he does his part. He can multitask pretty well, and he knows I can't.

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: AndyF] #3006979
01/19/22 09:25 PM
01/19/22 09:25 PM
Loudoun County, VA
Brad_Haak Offline
super stock
Brad_Haak  Offline
super stock

Loudoun County, VA
Originally Posted by AndyF

Really depends on the guy.

^^^

My friend Mike who is (was?) on here as "'THESHAKERPROJECT" is major up to have come over to help. He's done some extremely nice restoration work and has experience with areas of the car that I don't. He's also a good motivator for pushing through what seems like a never-ending project to get The MoPig running again.

Another friend who I've known for decades has offered to come over to help multiple times. However, my best recollection of how he works on his own cars is he's more of a "slap it on and call it good" type of hot rodder. I know I'm not a fast wrench, but I don't wanna build build junk, either. I've yet to take him up on the offer simply cuz I can imagine a clash of personalities on how things get done.

2021 Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack 1320 (2022)
100% stock: 1.680, 11.894 at 113.75 (DA 175 ft)
wheels, tires, air filter: 1.714, 11.833 at 115.80 (DA 310 ft)

1973 Challenger 452 ci street/strip (2008)
pump gas, DOT radials: 1.454, 10.523 at 126.44 (DA 514 ft)
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Brad_Haak] #3007010
01/19/22 10:32 PM
01/19/22 10:32 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I know a dude that puts parts on cars that came straight from the junkyard....dirt, grease and whatever else that was still on it, even the yellow marking paint the clerk puts on for warranty returns.

He is a very giving and helpful guy but can be a real sloppy guy at times.

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Kern Dog] #3007016
01/19/22 10:49 PM
01/19/22 10:49 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Attention to detail are paramount to me, therefore I work alone most of the time.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: Kern Dog] #3007091
01/20/22 08:31 AM
01/20/22 08:31 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
I used to love working on my cars, and helping other people work on theirs. I never really had a preference as to what kind of work I wanted to do alone vs. with other people. For me, it was more of a timing thing, like "Today, I'd like to just be in the garage by myself and goof around with the car."

I think working in the collision repair side of my industry for so long, being in shops all day every day, dealing with repair problem and after repair problem, really took the fun out of the hobby for me over time. I don't really have any interest in working on cars anymore. I enjoy looking at them, and am considering buying another old car or new Challenger or Camaro, but I'm not sure I will. I miss the enjoyment the hobby used to bring me, but that hasn't proven to be enough to get me back into it like I was 10 years ago. We sold my wife's 64, my Trans Am, all of the extra parts, etc. I still have my 82 F250, but that's just a work truck, and I'm likely selling that in the spring anyway.

I'm grateful the hobby still exists, and I hope it does for a long time.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: not_a_charger] #3007139
01/20/22 11:54 AM
01/20/22 11:54 AM
Buckeye Lake
56_Royal_Lancer Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II
56_Royal_Lancer  Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II

Buckeye Lake
Sometimes having help in the garage becomes help drinking beer and nothing gets done. And sometimes that's OK. BUT there is no way I could have built the Filthy '56 without the help my friends offered. It waw as much fun as driving the car when done.
Here's one of my favorite build pics in the garage, My comedian "Chevy Guy" brother's Bowtie mock-up of the motor mount and the finished project. It was a blast figuring out the challenges with this gang

56 with the guys.jpg56 chevy.jpg56 440 in 005.jpg56 front 4.1.jpg
Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: 56_Royal_Lancer] #3007373
01/20/22 08:48 PM
01/20/22 08:48 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
I'm inherently lazy. So, if I'm going to spend time doing something.... I do it once - correctly. If possible, I'll even try to future proof it if possible to prevent subsequent failure. I missed my calling as an Engineer.
I don't know what it is.... maybe because I don't have BEER at my place, people rarely come around to help. Thing is, I prefer a slight distraction be it somebody to talk to or listening to music. Occasionally, a spare set of hands is very welcome.

However, to the flip side of that.... a LOT of people call upon me to come help with their projects. I've helped one friend build 1.5 Willys trucks.... helped another friend completely disassemble a Gremlin and harvest it for parts (former V8 Gremlin but far, far too rusty to even consider any kind of restoration).

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Working on cars alone VS having a few buddies over... [Re: That AMC Guy] #3007377
01/20/22 08:59 PM
01/20/22 08:59 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
I'm inherently lazy. So, if I'm going to spend time doing something.... I do it once - correctly.

You are the only other person I have ever heard say that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4