Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
OK. Looking for some thoughts on MATS. I have never even been to Vegas and looking to burn some vacation. Is MATS an event worth attending? Anything to compare it to? Just looking for thoughts from people that have been there.

Thanks!

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: oldjonny] #3004628
01/12/22 04:22 PM
01/12/22 04:22 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Never been to MATS, but I love Vegas. Tons of stuff to do. Shelby facility, Mob Museum, Cirq du Soleil, Sun Buggy Dune Buggies, etc...though I suspect anything vehicle related might be tough to book during that weekend.

Also, I saw some Vegas food recommendations here for Bubba Gump, Five Guys, etc...there are way too many great restaurants in Vegas to spend your money and calories at a chain place.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: oldjonny] #3004732
01/12/22 09:02 PM
01/12/22 09:02 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
I was planning to go this past Sept , Had room at the Flamingo booked , I bought a truck to use as a hauler and had a Trailer all lined up to haul the car up and all ( but had a family matter I had to deal at the last minute so ditched it )

Ive seen enough pictures of said event ,,,,. I didnt miss ANYTHING.
UNLESS your a racer, ,,,,, then it was a good time. I am not .

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: gtx6970] #3004764
01/12/22 11:06 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Definitely a good time, you should go at least once.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: gtx6970] #3004765
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I went for the first 14 years, of course missed 2020 and 2021 did not happen until later in the year and from what I hear was not good. Being that is going back to the original date should help immensely, and I will be going again this year as I have a vehicle I need to take out there and pick up another one. I hope people try it again, Phil needs good luck for a change! luck

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: oldjonny] #3004954
01/13/22 03:45 PM
01/13/22 03:45 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
MATS: Mid-America Trucking Show. Louisville - end of March.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3005006
01/13/22 06:57 PM
01/13/22 06:57 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Bubba Gump, Five Guys,

LOL !! All kidding aside, if you want "affordable" dining then stick with the chains because they retain the same prices nation-wide. Otherwise it is VERY expensive to eat in Vegas.

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Stanton] #3005036
01/13/22 08:07 PM
01/13/22 08:07 PM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
If you go I highly recommend the Valley of Fire state park as a day trip, beautiful place. The Hoover Dam is well worth a tour too.

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: 65pacecar] #3005117
01/14/22 12:05 AM
01/14/22 12:05 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Mount Charleston is always interesting too, one time snow came over the mountain and hit the speedway, we could see it coming! eek And I am so old the buffets were either comped or $5 for all you could eat, those days are long gone... frown

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Rhinodart] #3005212
01/14/22 11:49 AM
01/14/22 11:49 AM
Carlisle, PA
C
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock
cudaboy340  Offline
super stock
C

Carlisle, PA
I've always loved the show and Phil is a great guy!! To be honest, I haven't attended in a few years (even prior to Covid). It's on the other side of the country and I've been getting busy with events in February, March and April that I wasn't involved with 5 years ago that have made it nearly impossible to attend. I couldn't attend in 2021 because I was already committed to a show on the same weekend.

I definitely recommend the show and like someone else said, you should definitely check it out. I loved seeing cars that I don't typically see east of the Mississippi. But the best part for me was always the people. I met people out there who have become true friends. My favorite part of the event was always The Cannery. I don't know why, but it was just FUN! After years of staying in Vegas, I finally got a room at The Cannery and 2 years later we got kicked out bawling

I hope to get back out there luck

Ed

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: cudaboy340] #3005506
01/15/22 11:34 AM
01/15/22 11:34 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Living in the Southwest the number of good quality shows is pretty limited. I’m unsure if it’s an oversight or by design but MATS (Vegas) and Good Guys (Scottsdale) are held the same days. Being a Phoenix resident it’s pretty tough to pass up a large local show. I have to believe I’m not the only guy that would like to attend both. Weather in the Southwest would allow either venue to be moved to late Feb, then we could see a spread of shows without stepping on toes . . . Feb, March, and April (Spring Fling)

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: AAR#2] #3005884
01/16/22 12:07 PM
01/16/22 12:07 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
i went a couple times when it was just mopars. ok but i prefer spring fling in van nuys much more. no drag racing though.

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: AAR#2] #3006142
01/17/22 10:05 AM
01/17/22 10:05 AM
Carlisle, PA
C
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock
cudaboy340  Offline
super stock
C

Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted by AAR#2
Living in the Southwest the number of good quality shows is pretty limited. I’m unsure if it’s an oversight or by design but MATS (Vegas) and Good Guys (Scottsdale) are held the same days. Being a Phoenix resident it’s pretty tough to pass up a large local show. I have to believe I’m not the only guy that would like to attend both. Weather in the Southwest would allow either venue to be moved to late Feb, then we could see a spread of shows without stepping on toes . . . Feb, March, and April (Spring Fling)

As a show promoter, I can tell you that it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid all scheduling conflicts. You look at all of the factors, including other shows, and you pick the best compromise. Every event has its own unique factors that most people just aren't aware of. Keep in mind, MATS is held at a major racing venue for both NHRA and NASCAR so they will get first choice on dates. I'm sure there are other clients that are ahead of Phil when it comes to picking dates, too.

For me personally, I liked it best when MATS and Spring Fling were back-to-back because then I could justify the expense to do both in one trip. That made for one awesome week and a half!! But that's just my preference. Both promoters have to look at the bigger picture.

The last thing I'd like to add, feedback like this is ALWAYS welcomed. Not just on dates, but on any aspect of a show. The reality is, we (the promoters) can't be everywhere nor can we see everything no matter how hard we try. We do these shows for YOU, the attendees, so our goal is to make an enjoyable event for you. But at the same time, we can't accommodate all suggestions so don't assume that just because you suggested it that it definitely will happen. The change has to be doable and make sense. I love ideas/suggestions/feedback!

Ed

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: cudaboy340] #3006292
01/17/22 07:11 PM
01/17/22 07:11 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted by cudaboy340
Originally Posted by AAR#2

As a show promoter, I can tell you that it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid all scheduling conflicts. You look at all of the factors, including other shows, and you pick the best compromise. Every event has its own unique factors that most people just aren't aware of. Keep in mind, MATS is held at a major racing venue for both NHRA and NASCAR so they will get first choice on dates. I'm sure there are other clients that are ahead of Phil when it comes to picking dates, too.

For me personally, I liked it best when MATS and Spring Fling were back-to-back because then I could justify the expense to do both in one trip. That made for one awesome week and a half!! But that's just my preference. Both promoters have to look at the bigger picture.

The last thing I'd like to add, feedback like this is ALWAYS welcomed. Not just on dates, but on any aspect of a show. The reality is, we (the promoters) can't be everywhere nor can we see everything no matter how hard we try. We do these shows for YOU, the attendees, so our goal is to make an enjoyable event for you. But at the same time, we can't accommodate all suggestions so don't assume that just because you suggested it that it definitely will happen. The change has to be doable and make sense. I love ideas/suggestions/feedback!

Ed

Thanks for the feedback, and I completely understand. Excellent point about back-to-back for those making any serious mileage commitment. I can see that it will never be ideal for everyone, to include the venue grounds and their commitments. My perspective was simply addressing 3 of the larger shows in the Southwest and my preference, perhaps overlooking other instances as you have pointed out. beer

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: AAR#2] #3006294
01/17/22 07:48 PM
01/17/22 07:48 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Swap meets are a huge factor for me. Spring and Fall fling shows are THE best on the west coast but pale in comparison to the Nationals and Carlisle. MATS hasn't been any better than the show in Cupertino and barely better than Sacramento. This is no fault of the promoters. It boggles my mind that out here where the cars last longer, the car culture isn't as strong. It used to be that California was THE place to be.

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Kern Dog] #3006327
01/17/22 09:34 PM
01/17/22 09:34 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Swap meets are a huge factor for me. Spring and Fall fling shows are THE best on the west coast but pale in comparison to the Nationals and Carlisle. MATS hasn't been any better than the show in Cupertino and barely better than Sacramento. This is no fault of the promoters. It boggles my mind that out here where the cars last longer, the car culture isn't as strong. It used to be that California was THE place to be.

Sad, but true.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Kern Dog] #3006329
01/17/22 09:38 PM
01/17/22 09:38 PM
Northern California
lilcuda Offline
super stock
lilcuda  Offline
super stock

Northern California

Too many Tesla and Prius fans out here.

'67 is an abbreviation of 1967
67' is an abbreviation of 67 feet
They are not interchangeable.
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Kern Dog] #3006531
01/18/22 01:39 PM
01/18/22 01:39 PM
Carlisle, PA
C
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock
cudaboy340  Offline
super stock
C

Carlisle, PA

Population density has a lot to do with it. There is such a concentration of people in the Mid-Atlantic area so we have a much larger pool of people out here within a couple hour drive of Carlisle.

I have nothing but good things to say about Phil and the Painter family. I will always support him and promote his show... even if I can't attend every year. Phil and the staff are doing everything they can for that show. Now it's up to the enthusiasts to support and attend the show twocents

Ed

Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: cudaboy340] #3006638
01/18/22 11:23 PM
01/18/22 11:23 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I have been to almost every MATS and 90% of them I brought parts out from Chicago and the early days were awesome! About 7 years ago it started going downhill for one reason or another. I loved buying rust free parts out there and bringing them back to rust, and I brought out lots of interior parts and sold most of them because out there that is the first thing to get roached. I will bring out parts one last time this year, and hope others do too... luck

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: MATS - Worth Going? [Re: Rhinodart] #3006710
01/19/22 09:03 AM
01/19/22 09:03 AM
Western Colorado High Desert
moparmarks Offline
I Live Here
moparmarks  Offline
I Live Here

Western Colorado High Desert
I've gone every year including last year which was "different". Really sad to see this show decline like it has. The drag racers are a hard core group and had a good turnout last year. Kudos to them. I'll probably go this year. Only a 7 hour drive and have friends out there. I too liked it when the MATS and the Fling were back to back.

72 Satellite Sebring Plus 440, 72 Dart 5.9 4-spd, 68 Valiant, 73 W200, 78 D100 sb, 78 D200, 98 DAKOTA, .
Moparmarks Parts & Restorations
Desert Mopar Metal
Grand Jct. CO
970-261-7039
http://moparmark.com/
motormangj@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2