01/13/22 03:18 PM
01/13/22 03:18 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Every pressure-lubricated component in the engine that has clearance is a "leak", not sure what constitutes a "big leak" compared to a normal leak from clearances within tolerances. Whether the leak is close to the pump or at the end of the system, it's still a leak that reduces the overall pressure.

I see a benefit to the subject mod as it feeds the system from both ends. The leaks and resultant loss of pressure won't change.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Oil tube block mod [Re: John_Kunkel] #3004975
01/13/22 04:42 PM
01/13/22 04:42 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Every pressure-lubricated component in the engine that has clearance is a "leak", not sure what constitutes a "big leak" compared to a normal leak from clearances within tolerances. Whether the leak is close to the pump or at the end of the system, it's still a leak that reduces the overall pressure.

I see a benefit to the subject mod as it feeds the system from both ends. The leaks and resultant loss of pressure won't change.

True. I will clarify by saying - reduce necessary internal leaks to a minimum and eliminate those which aren't needed. I define "leak" as anything oil is being fed to that is not a main bearing, and anything being fed oil from the main bearing bore. Obviously, everything needs to lubed. It's the priorities and what percentage of what is coming from the pump to each area that I address.

Lifters. A 9/16 oil passage wide open into 16 lifter bores. The only restriction to spraying out is the .0015-.002 clearance. Solid lifters need no oil from the galley. Pressurized lifters can be taken care of with a small hole in the bushing.

Heads/valvetrain. Can be kept happy with a restriction much smaller than the 1/4"-9/32" hole from the cam bearing(s) to the heads. And/or even better they can be fed from someplace other than the cam bores,

Cam bearings. Again. Plenty of oil from an .035-.045 hole. Especially if the heads aren't fed from the cam bore(s).

The amount of oil you can get out of an .035" hole with 60-80PSI behind it is surprising when you see it.

Putting oil into both ends of the right side galley will show some benefits. Takes a little plumbing.

The object of the exercise is to reduce or eliminate "leaks" from the main right side galley in order to keep as much oil on the crank as possible. Rather than filling up the valve covers or have it be caught up in the tornado occurring in the bottom end.

Typically, the benefits to all of this begin to show up when the RPMs get above 7k or so.

I've done this (and some other little things) on high RPM deals and the difference it made in the rod bearings was amazing. Stock crank, high RPM 360s I've had would not live without doing this.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 01/13/22 04:45 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Page 2 of 2 1 2