cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by 440Jim
Well Brad...

I plan to live to 99 years old. And I remember Charlie Yingling at MIR raced past 72. So I am thinking age 72 is a good goal. I will be 61 this month.
Maybe longer, 72 seems closer than ever... LOL

No way, 72 is just now gettn up, I hope lol

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: cudaman1969] #3001664
01/03/22 05:01 PM
01/03/22 05:01 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
I've Ibeen down the track every year since 1969, attending my first race in 1964. I've been racing the same car since 1972. I'll be 70 this next time around, have had a brain tumor, and a lot of the other typical old guy stuff that you get, arthritis, odds and ends. I don't travel like I did, nor do am I willing to drive 12 hours and sleep in the cab of a truck. I don't even WANNA do that anymore. Don't race every week, either, love spending time with grandkids, doing other stuff. But, I still love it, but don'r work hard at anymore. I like racing, coming back, sitting down, drinking an iced tea, and going up again when they call. Never even take the hood off of it anymore. If something is wrong, it gets loaded up and goes home until I get around to looking at it. But, I do love it. Will continue to do it as long as I feel like it, feel good enough to do it.

Big Steve.jpg

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: pittsburghracer] #3001729
01/03/22 08:13 PM
01/03/22 08:13 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Man some of you guys are OLD.
Are you jealous whistling grin
If you live long enough, you will get old too up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3001737
01/03/22 08:20 PM
01/03/22 08:20 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Yep. Some of us are. There is only one other option.
And, Pittsburgh Racer is a friend. I've got a few years on him, but, I gotta say he's no spring chicken. Just sayin'

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: pittsburghracer] #3001738
01/03/22 08:21 PM
01/03/22 08:21 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Man some of you guys are OLD.

I was thinking some are really old catfight

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: Al_Alguire] #3001747
01/03/22 08:45 PM
01/03/22 08:45 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

All I can say to you youngsters is you better step up your game. We have been supporting our local track tor 40-50 years. We can’t be their every week now, right Steve. We are losing tracks every year that passes.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: pittsburghracer] #3001753
01/03/22 09:08 PM
01/03/22 09:08 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
66 here
Started racing in 1972… several breaks over the years, kids, etc etc
Will probably keep racing as long as i can get everything zriund to go, without help..loading car, hooking up trailer, yada, yada
Now i just try and take my time, rest if i need to, till everything is done.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: Al_Alguire] #3001765
01/03/22 09:43 PM
01/03/22 09:43 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
I just turned 53, but it is hard to say how long I will keep doing it. If you run NSS and live in SE Texas you have to drive a minimum of 5 hours to get to a track for a small race with maybe 12 cars if you are lucky..... It really beats you up when you drive for 2 days to get to the big races, then bust tail all weekend then drive back to make it home in time to go to work. For the folks that are retired with plenty of money they can take their time and travel in style and really enjoy the racing. For me it is usually a race to get there, then bust tail to race, and then race to get home to go back to work. The closest big NSS race is usually in St. Louis and that makes for a long drive. It is well worth it, but tough while keeping a full time job.

I envy those up north that have tracks within a reasonable distance to race. You would think in a city the size of Houston we would have more than one decent track and we would get more NSS action. Years ago there were several tracks withing a day drive that catered to the NSS racers, but I fear those days are gone and not coming back.

The last time I went to the Baytown track, the ricer crowd had been there the night before and someone took a dump in the middle of the restroom floor. There was garbage everywhere and the track personnel looked over worked and exhausted. I never went back and now it looks like that track is closing. San Antonio is also shutting down. Its tough to get any testing done so driving to St. Louis with an untested car is always a big gamble.

Sometimes I think I will sell it all and go fishing. Thankfully that passes! I know in the spring I will be traveling again to race. I will do it as long as I can, but with my health issues I will probably have to update the car at some point to make it easier to race when I get older. I think if my health doesn't get any worse I will probably run another 10 years or so. The biggest problem I see is that most of the people that run Nostalgia Super Stock are really getting up there in years and are going to retire long before I am ready to quit racing. Running a NSS/FX car is expensive and very restrictive so there are not too many younger folks coming up to keep it going.

Sometimes I think I may need to have my head examined! laugh2 laugh2

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: GTSDave] #3001774
01/03/22 10:08 PM
01/03/22 10:08 PM
Anoka County, MN
L
Leigh Offline
master
Leigh  Offline
master
L

Anoka County, MN
Originally Posted by GTSDave
I just turned 53, but it is hard to say how long I will keep doing it. If you run NSS and live in SE Texas you have to drive a minimum of 5 hours to get to a track for a small race with maybe 12 cars if you are lucky..... It really beats you up when you drive for 2 days to get to the big races, then bust tail all weekend then drive back to make it home in time to go to work. For the folks that are retired with plenty of money they can take their time and travel in style and really enjoy the racing. For me it is usually a race to get there, then bust tail to race, and then race to get home to go back to work. The closest big NSS race is usually in St. Louis and that makes for a long drive. It is well worth it, but tough while keeping a full time job.

I envy those up north that have tracks within a reasonable distance to race. You would think in a city the size of Houston we would have more than one decent track and we would get more NSS action. Years ago there were several tracks withing a day drive that catered to the NSS racers, but I fear those days are gone and not coming back.

The last time I went to the Baytown track, the ricer crowd had been there the night before and someone took a dump in the middle of the restroom floor. There was garbage everywhere and the track personnel looked over worked and exhausted. I never went back and now it looks like that track is closing. San Antonio is also shutting down. Its tough to get any testing done so driving to St. Louis with an untested car is always a big gamble.

Sometimes I think I will sell it all and go fishing. Thankfully that passes! I know in the spring I will be traveling again to race. I will do it as long as I can, but with my health issues I will probably have to update the car at some point to make it easier to race when I get older. I think if my health doesn't get any worse I will probably run another 10 years or so. The biggest problem I see is that most of the people that run Nostalgia Super Stock are really getting up there in years and are going to retire long before I am ready to quit racing. Running a NSS/FX car is expensive and very restrictive so there are not too many younger folks coming up to keep it going.

-Dave

We’re spoiled here. Rock Falls is top notch. Grove Creek is also nice. BIR has been nice for decades. The only drawback, is the 125 mile tow.

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: GTSDave] #3001787
01/03/22 10:32 PM
01/03/22 10:32 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Originally Posted by GTSDave

-Dave

You drive from Texas to St. Louis? eek Hope you not driving this alone. and dive back for work, how old are you? Thats got to be tough .

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: racerx] #3001803
01/03/22 11:49 PM
01/03/22 11:49 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)

[/quote] You drive from Texas to St. Louis? eek Hope you not driving this alone. and dive back for work, how old are you? Thats got to be tough . [/quote]

That is one example. I try to race mostly in TX and OK but those NSS races typically have a dozen or so cars. St. Louis and the other Victory races have MANY more. It is worth it to make the drive and there is usually only two of us making that trip. I haven't been the last couple of years but hope to make at least one of them in 2022.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: pittsburghracer] #3001806
01/03/22 11:52 PM
01/03/22 11:52 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
You are absolutely right, John. We are losing way too many tracks on a yearly basis. And, you are absolutely right, guys like you and I simply cannot pound it on a weekly basis anymore. Those days are behind us. But, those ;memories amd froemdships are priceless, aren't they?I

But, recruiting more bracket racers isn't going to save them. The simply don't make money on the bracket guys. They are a break even at best, and, breaking even isn't going to pay thew bills. Brackts have to be one of the things a track offers, among many.

The tracks, and the bracket racers themselves have got to do some sacrifices to make it more marketable and spectator friendly. But, sadly, that's another conversation.

Last edited by Steve1118; 01/03/22 11:57 PM.

Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: Steve1118] #3001846
01/04/22 01:59 AM
01/04/22 01:59 AM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
I’m 55 and had a wake up call in May of last year, a heart attack that I luckily made it through. I have taken that to heart (no pun intended) and have been eating better, committed to a good workout regimen, and am trying to make a conscious decision to be happy and enjoy life to the fullest. I’ve always been an athletic guy blessed with good physical dexterity, and I think I’m currently in the best shape I’ve been in in at least 20 years. My relationship with my wife is better than ever, and I Just received a good promotion at work. As far as drag racing, I hope when I get out it’s because Im sick of it, not because I can’t do it. Right now, I see myself doing it at some level into my retirement, hopefully for 20 more years.

I hope you guys are having as much fun as I am.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: StealthWedge67] #3002185
01/05/22 12:09 AM
01/05/22 12:09 AM
Windsor ,Ca.
K
Keith Richards Offline
master
Keith Richards  Offline
master
K

Windsor ,Ca.
Seriously was ready to quit about 3 weeks ago, penning my ad for Bat and was getting pictures together. I still turn enough win lights on at 57 and have fun with the cars, but with Sonoma Raceway packing it in last year with NO weekend bracket racing and knowing that Sacramento probably will suffer the same fate of closure at some point I was thinking maybe I might sell the Challenger and turn the ‘68 road runner back into a street/strip car. Then midday thru that Monday at work bidding plans and I flip to FB for a minute and there it is, we have a five race season announced at Sonoma! I had heard rumblings but getting late in December and no word I figured those rumors didn’t pan out. Back to the original question with a open track close I would think as long as I have interest and finances I hope to be there for another 5-10 years.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 01/05/22 12:14 AM.
Re: How many more years of racing you got in ya'? [Re: Keith Richards] #3002201
01/05/22 06:00 AM
01/05/22 06:00 AM
Isle of Sheeps
Gtxxjon Offline
enthusiast
Gtxxjon  Offline
enthusiast

Isle of Sheeps
Great question indeed!

Some of us are at pension age, but have no funds for racing or even owning a decent drag car!

Its a 'Catch 22' situation, if the tracks don't offer competition then how are folks gonna race?

We have only one recognised track in the UK and its always packed!
Some times you only get one or two runs in an a day.
Other times you can get ten runs in which is fun but tough on the car!

They have got a 'Superstock' bracket racing format now in the UK and its well supported indeed.
I hope to run my 71 GTX sometime once the Covid 'thing' sorts itself out?

I was 45 when I last ran into the Tens, and now next time out I will be a pensioner!
Who knows how good my reflexes will be some twenty years on?
Maybe I won't be brave or good enough to run a TEN again??? dino Santa5 fan

I couldn't afford it back then, when I had a good job and an understanding wife!
Now I deffo can't afford to and the wife is going mental at me even considering Tens... help help spank

Cooky's Dart 2000.jpg
Last edited by Gtxxjon; 01/05/22 06:04 AM.

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero, thanx Horace!

There’s no point trying to fix stuff that ain’t broke,,, 'but if ain’t broke',,, you is not trying hard enough...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3