Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh
While reading the "How Many More Years Of Racing You Got In Ya?" thread, it made me think, at what age did some of you start hurting or noticing your bodies starting to tell you that you were aging or that you've worked too hard for too long?

I'm about half the age as some of you on here but, I'm starting to feel stuff already and it concerns me a little. My index finger has been hurting me the last 6 or so months and I finally had a Dr. look at it, arthritis. What, I'm in my 30's, [censored]?

I worked manual labor jobs for about 8 or so years of my working life but, I've had a desk job for the past 16-17. I tinker with stuff all the time though, I'm re-doing my kitchen right now. I really think the arthritis in my finger is related to all the siding I cut by hand for my garage a few years ago.

There are a lot of guys that don't talk about stuff like this, so: I'm surprised when people do talk about it how many have issues.

So, when did your body start to let you ......?

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000165
12/30/21 11:13 PM
12/30/21 11:13 PM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Offline
top fuel
rickraw  Offline
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
I’m 66, build Allison transmission’s for 22yrs, so things started aching when I was around 45. Right now my hands don’t work right when I get out of bed. About 15 mins their good to go, lol.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000169
12/30/21 11:42 PM
12/30/21 11:42 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
You know...the stuff I still need each day works fine...maybe a little "creaky" (LOL), but things work.

However, I did have one of these "oh geez, this ain't no 20's or 30's anymore" days about 2 years ago, and I just turned 50 a month ago, so I was just shy of 48 at that time.

Each year my daughter and I do several good backcountry canoe trips...northern Ontario, lots of time in the water, but we do not shy from taking on a good portage, or doing a day-long climb/excursion off the beaten path, etc. Always an awesome time, and given that I have been doing this all my life I was only too happy to see my daughter take a liking to it on her own - meaning once the kids grew up and were no longer totally dependent on us for their vacations!

Well, we planned an awesome Lake Superior coastline trip, a week worth of backpacking actually, so no canoeing, all stuff on our backs. Like I said, given my experience doing this, we packed accordingly (light) and after an overnight stay at the Park campground we hit the trail. We knew this was going to be a tough walk, rocky, very un-even, uphill and downhil mix, all steep. Where things hit me like a boulder was when about 3/4 way there my knees just started to refuse to "obey the owner instructions"!!!

Umm...I say "go", but my legs don't want to, unless I am willing to put up with a [censored]-load of pain. I mean this felt serious, I could not walk, could not extend my leg in order to walk to be precise. So on the trail, we literally went from moving to me standing still in a matter of about 15-30 mins.

Luckily, a couple passed us on their way out of the park as they ran into equipment problems, they grabbed the site that was a mid-way point for us. I literally had NO choice but to crash at that location. Long story short (damn, already long as-is, sorry...), we had the Park Rangers run a patrol boat over to our location, they grabbed our packs and my daugher and I hobbled back to the Park campground. That was the longest walk OUT of the park.

My knees recovered over the next couple of weeks, but never got back to feeling "like new" ever since.

I may have hurt something, but no obvious damage that shows up. Still, I am extra careful in the garage now to make sure I don't get caught in a weird twisty stand where I put way too much pressure on my knees!

So yeah, that's my experience in "getting old".

BTW: as the Park Rangers saved my butt we came to discover that this particular trail is apparently in the Top-5 of All Canada Difficult Trails...not much consolation when you are all broken, but I'd be damned if I didn't do my research first into this and NOWHERE was there a warning anywhere to that effect. Anyways, for what it's worth, if it weren't for "old man knees" attack we would have been quite alright...everything else was moving along!

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: Diplomat360] #3000183
12/31/21 12:30 AM
12/31/21 12:30 AM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
Originally Posted by Diplomat360
You know...the stuff I still need each day works fine...maybe a little "creaky" (LOL), but things work.

However, I did have one of these "oh geez, this ain't no 20's or 30's anymore" days about 2 years ago, and I just turned 50 a month ago, so I was just shy of 48 at that time.

Each year my daughter and I do several good backcountry canoe trips...northern Ontario, lots of time in the water, but we do not shy from taking on a good portage, or doing a day-long climb/excursion off the beaten path, etc. Always an awesome time, and given that I have been doing this all my life I was only too happy to see my daughter take a liking to it on her own - meaning once the kids grew up and were no longer totally dependent on us for their vacations!

Well, we planned an awesome Lake Superior coastline trip, a week worth of backpacking actually, so no canoeing, all stuff on our backs. Like I said, given my experience doing this, we packed accordingly (light) and after an overnight stay at the Park campground we hit the trail. We knew this was going to be a tough walk, rocky, very un-even, uphill and downhil mix, all steep. Where things hit me like a boulder was when about 3/4 way there my knees just started to refuse to "obey the owner instructions"!!!

Umm...I say "go", but my legs don't want to, unless I am willing to put up with a [censored]-load of pain. I mean this felt serious, I could not walk, could not extend my leg in order to walk to be precise. So on the trail, we literally went from moving to me standing still in a matter of about 15-30 mins.

Luckily, a couple passed us on their way out of the park as they ran into equipment problems, they grabbed the site that was a mid-way point for us. I literally had NO choice but to crash at that location. Long story short (damn, already long as-is, sorry...), we had the Park Rangers run a patrol boat over to our location, they grabbed our packs and my daugher and I hobbled back to the Park campground. That was the longest walk OUT of the park.

My knees recovered over the next couple of weeks, but never got back to feeling "like new" ever since.

I may have hurt something, but no obvious damage that shows up. Still, I am extra careful in the garage now to make sure I don't get caught in a weird twisty stand where I put way too much pressure on my knees!

So yeah, that's my experience in "getting old".

BTW: as the Park Rangers saved my butt we came to discover that this particular trail is apparently in the Top-5 of All Canada Difficult Trails...not much consolation when you are all broken, but I'd be damned if I didn't do my research first into this and NOWHERE was there a warning anywhere to that effect. Anyways, for what it's worth, if it weren't for "old man knees" attack we would have been quite alright...everything else was moving along!

I am 65, worked as a mechanic, all my life, taught tech school for last 26 years and worked on the side the whole time. Got arthritis in my hands, neck, back, and feet. I still go to the boundary waters every summer with my son. And I still do portages, son carries the canoe, I carry a couple packs. Yes I have pain, but seems if I keep busy, I forget about it. I hurt a lot worse when I sit around. On vacation after several hours driving, I actually have a hard time getting out of the car. Last canoe trip we had to paddle against 20mph winds to get out. Three other canoes with us, I was the oldest, it was ruff, but my son and I kept up with all of the younger guys. Four hours to make it to the take out. Yes getting old sucks, but it beats the only other thing.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: jwb123] #3000186
12/31/21 12:55 AM
12/31/21 12:55 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Was employed in the auto repair business from 1974 until this past Spring. What is pain? To me, it’s my body lying to me. I ignore it. Treat it like an itchy mosquito bite. It bugs you but forget about it. Fortunately at 67 I can still go out to my home shop and work on cars nearly everyday. Why? Because I like to.
Doug

Last edited by dvw; 12/31/21 12:57 AM.
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000196
12/31/21 01:24 AM
12/31/21 01:24 AM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Mine started at 23 due to a bad car accident. Fractured vertebraes and herniated disks. Followed by something called complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) after I fell an broke my wrist at 38. That was hell on earth. That relapsed but was immediately followed by fibromyalgia that still persists. Another bad car wreck in 2017 with more back fractures and disc issues. Currently aggravated one of the discs and have nerve pain shooting down both arms. Gonna have to chill for a while and let that calm down. F*** it all.

I can't work all day like I used to, but am still able to do physical work for 2 to 4 hrs about half the time. I enjoy working with my hands, on the house and cars and am not going to stop. I do have to do things a little differently than I used to and use tools or help for the heavy lifting, but at least I am still able to do most things one way or another.

No matter how bad someone has it, someone out there is dealing with worse. Just have to go one day at a time and deal with the hand you are dealt in life.

Last edited by mgoblue9798; 12/31/21 01:28 AM.
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000217
12/31/21 08:13 AM
12/31/21 08:13 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by parksr5
While reading the "How Many More Years Of Racing You Got In Ya?" thread, it made me think, at what age did some of you start hurting or noticing your bodies starting to tell you that you were aging or that you've worked too hard for too long?

I'm about half the age as some of you on here but, I'm starting to feel stuff already and it concerns me a little. My index finger has been hurting me the last 6 or so months and I finally had a Dr. look at it, arthritis. What, I'm in my 30's, [censored]?

I worked manual labor jobs for about 8 or so years of my working life but, I've had a desk job for the past 16-17. I tinker with stuff all the time though, I'm re-doing my kitchen right now. I really think the arthritis in my finger is related to all the siding I cut by hand for my garage a few years ago.

There are a lot of guys that don't talk about stuff like this, so: I'm surprised when people do talk about it how many have issues.

At your age (I’m assuming you were told you have osteoarthritis in the finger) I would do everything possible to rule out Rhumatoid arthritis. That stupid blood test they use (that was developed between the world wars) is wrong at least 50% of the time. You can be easily blood negative RA and still have it. And the longer it’s missed, the more damage it does. If you are fatigued a lot, if you get out of bed and have stiffness at all, if you get unexplained rashes, weird body temperature changes...stuff like that you can almost bet you have RA.

I know this because in 1982 I went into the Army and I had some fatigue and joint pain issues. And they just missed it. The funny thing is you can go for months or even years and you won’t have any symptoms and then out of nowhere you just have a bunch of bad days and you’re like [censored]?? Then one day, you just feel like crap and it doesn’t go away. I wasn’t actually diagnosed with RA until 2006. It never occurred to me until several years after the diagnosis that I had symptoms in the Army, so my doctor suggested I get a copy of all my medical records from them. Sure enough, when I looked at the, I said yep, sure did hit every indicator that I had RA, but like everyone else, they relied solely on that blood test and didn’t bother to stop and clinically diagnose it. All it takes is a short time on prednisone. If you get better you know it’s RA. If you don’t it’s something else. There are other ways to clinically diagnose it, but that’s a simple one.

By 2006 I couldn’t walk, drive or much anything else. Damn sure couldn’t hardly work. A 3 day week was good for me. And in that time I was doing about 40% of what I would regularly do. I had a buddy come pick me up and take me to the ER. That was the ONLY time I’ve ever been blood positive for RA.

If you do have it, you are much better off knowing it now and getting after it. It won’t go away and it won’t get better. And pray like hell you don’t have it.

Just my thoughts.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: madscientist] #3000224
12/31/21 09:39 AM
12/31/21 09:39 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
I can't pick a spot on the calendar and say "yup, that's when it all went to hell". It creeps up on you. One day you find your self looking for a hand cart because you can't just carry something any more. You are digging out the engine hoist to lift something that used to be child's play. You buy one of those really big lighted magnifiers because you can't see. You can only sand so long before your hands ache. You find yourself taking more breaks to the point of falling asleep in a chair.

It just creeps up on you like age itself.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000225
12/31/21 09:49 AM
12/31/21 09:49 AM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline
master
mopar dave  Offline
master

Mt Morris Michigan
I would say at about 50 i started feeling some pain. Been in a big truck for 31 years now. First 11 years delivered milk and had to unload the whole 45' trailer 5 days a week. That's hard on your back. 4 more years til retirement, hope to skate right thru.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: mopar dave] #3000237
12/31/21 10:52 AM
12/31/21 10:52 AM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
Don`t really remember when was the last time I really felt good. Had to be some 30 years ago or so.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: mopars4ever] #3000243
12/31/21 11:34 AM
12/31/21 11:34 AM
Central NC
gch Offline
master
gch  Offline
master

Central NC
Ruptured disc at 20, surgery. Ruptured same disc at 24, surgery with spinal fusion. 20 years of repetitive motion destroyed my right shoulder. It has been hard to throw a baseball or football overhanded since I was 40. I STILL DO IT ANYWAY ANYTIME MY KIDS WANT TO. Motorcycle wreck when I was 45 took the left shoulder for a ride. Car wreck when I was 50 took my hips out (especially my right one). Mad arthritis in my neck, shoulders, hips, and back.2019 I cut my left hand into the muscle of my palm and through the webbing around my thumb. Still have only partial use of my left thumb. I am 56 now and I am slower than I want to be and everything hurts every day but it doesn't matter. I get up and go to work and come home and play with my kids. I will deal with the pain tomorrow.
I can't lean over the fender and change spark plugs anymore but I know people who can lol.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: gch] #3000250
12/31/21 11:49 AM
12/31/21 11:49 AM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh
I appreciate everyone sharing their wisdom!

I take the same approach as some above, I try to take care of myself but, I ignore a lot of things when I'm working on stuff.

I've had type 1 diabetes for almost 30 years now and MS for 12-13. I'm thankful I don't have the same issues as many with MS. Most don't know I have any health issues unless I tell them; I can still run circles around some normal folk.

I know I most likely will not die an old man but, want to enjoy what I like to do as long as I can.

The RA comments may be something to look into. For my MS, I was on a drug that was really intended for RA but, I've been off of it for 2 years now. Maybe RA is a concern and the medication was just masking larger problems.

My body appears to like collecting auto immune diseases so; wouldn't shock me.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000259
12/31/21 12:07 PM
12/31/21 12:07 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
If you're planning a big project for "when you get the time", DON'T.
I thought the deterioration of strength, flexibility, coordination, etc. would be something like linear: after 50, lose 1% every year.
It's not.
There's a cliff just ahead of you, and you're going to fade away sharply sometime before 70.
I can't see, even up close, can't pick up an aspirin without flipping it across the room, can't carry a jack stand more than 50 feet. No, there's nothing wrong with me, just born 1945.

Do it while you still can.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: polyspheric] #3000273
12/31/21 12:59 PM
12/31/21 12:59 PM
St.Pete,Florida
L
lancer493 Offline
enthusiast
lancer493  Offline
enthusiast
L

St.Pete,Florida
Polyspheric explained it well. It's a little more than linear. At 68 yrs old I can appreciate his words. Am working on my core muscles issue right now. It's an uphill battle but it is working. As you get older and you try to lift or carry heavy things like we always USED to, we start to compensate with other muscles and the body mechanics are wrong. Then comes stiffness and PAIN. Use it or lose it is so true. Just use it correctly. Exercise and eat well. I backslid and am paying for it now. Working on it as we speak, I just had to own up to not having an 8hr workday anymore. Make 2022 a different year! Good health to y'all!!! Bill

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: madscientist] #3000274
12/31/21 01:08 PM
12/31/21 01:08 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by parksr5

At your age (I’m assuming you were told you have osteoarthritis in the finger) I would do everything possible to rule out Rhumatoid arthritis. That stupid blood test they use (that was developed between the world wars) is wrong at least 50% of the time. You can be easily blood negative RA and still have it. And the longer it’s missed, the more damage it does. If you are fatigued a lot, if you get out of bed and have stiffness at all, if you get unexplained rashes, weird body temperature changes...stuff like that you can almost bet you have RA.

I know this because in 1982 I went into the Army and I had some fatigue and joint pain issues. And they just missed it. The funny thing is you can go for months or even years and you won’t have any symptoms and then out of nowhere you just have a bunch of bad days and you’re like [censored]?? Then one day, you just feel like crap and it doesn’t go away. I wasn’t actually diagnosed with RA until 2006. It never occurred to me until several years after the diagnosis that I had symptoms in the Army, so my doctor suggested I get a copy of all my medical records from them. Sure enough, when I looked at the, I said yep, sure did hit every indicator that I had RA, but like everyone else, they relied solely on that blood test and didn’t bother to stop and clinically diagnose it. All it takes is a short time on prednisone. If you get better you know it’s RA. If you don’t it’s something else. There are other ways to clinically diagnose it, but that’s a simple one.

By 2006 I couldn’t walk, drive or much anything else. Damn sure couldn’t hardly work. A 3 day week was good for me. And in that time I was doing about 40% of what I would regularly do. I had a buddy come pick me up and take me to the ER. That was the ONLY time I’ve ever been blood positive for RA.

If you do have it, you are much better off knowing it now and getting after it. It won’t go away and it won’t get better. And pray like hell you don’t have it.

Just my thoughts.

I’m thinking you hit the nail on the head for me, all those symptoms I have for maybe 6-8 years now. I’ve burned up the internet looking for a cause always thinking vascular problems but with tests they all cleared.(did have a stent put in the lower aorta 4 years ago). Some days I feel like a tuck run over me, my legs are the worst can’t pick my feet up and stumble over lent and I’ve fell 3-4 times this year alone. First of the week I’ll call to get checked with my primary doc. Thanks in a way, btw I’m 72 and still working but getting slower
Where did you get the prednisone?
Update, found some in my cabinet stash (2004 but looks good)

Last edited by cudaman1969; 01/01/22 01:22 AM.
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: cudaman1969] #3000281
12/31/21 01:27 PM
12/31/21 01:27 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
In high school smile Injuries from sports then are probably my biggest issue now at 57. In addition to being diabetic. But my years of sports and military injuries as well as the nature of my working career certainly have me a bit creaky in the morning. I have a few things that require surgery to fix but I prefer to stay as far from the OR as possible. The downfall of being married to someone who is in there daily I suppose.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: parksr5] #3000299
12/31/21 02:02 PM
12/31/21 02:02 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Depends how much damage you did earlier in life.
For me I was still pretty active at 50, but by 55, I slowed down quite a bit.
I think it was more mental than physical because of all my wifes health problems and taking care of her.
Did physical therapy this year for the arthritis in my shoulder that I broke back when I was 20. That helped alot.
Presbyopia (old age eyes) make it harder to focus on items close up.

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: 451Mopar] #3000309
12/31/21 02:30 PM
12/31/21 02:30 PM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i started to have pain in my 20's, and after MANY years and many doctor visits later, with nothing concrete diagnosed, mr. "tough guy" [me grin] just gave up and learned to live with it.
after i got married, my wife talked me into doctor visits to figure out what was REALLY wrong with me [don't start..... laugh2].
after many years, i was finally diagnosed with MS, and apparently, it had started WAY earlier in my life, but i just ignored it.
so being old now, pain is just something i look forward to every day. no big deal anymore.
it has also been noted by someone else's response, my motto for years has been : "no matter how bad i have it, there is someone out there that has it worse !"
i just play the cards that were dealt, and hope i can get my junk to at least run around the block before i croak !
someone stopped by this past summer and asked what i was doing. i told him : "i'm getting ready for the estate sale !" biggrin
beer

Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: moparx] #3000311
12/31/21 02:38 PM
12/31/21 02:38 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
If it wasn't for Move Free Ultra, I'd be in bad (worse?) shape

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: When Did You Start To Hurt? [Re: CMcAllister] #3000317
12/31/21 02:54 PM
12/31/21 02:54 PM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
my old man always said : "get a bag fulla' quarters and back up next to the a$$ kickin' machine !"
i almost need to do that every day, just to get started ! laugh2 [although he had other meaning[s] for that remark. whistling]
beer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3