Print Thread
440 new vibration after changing torque converter #2995503
12/15/21 02:11 PM
12/15/21 02:11 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio

1974 Roadrunner with 440 & 727. The old torque converter's hub was worn out and the pump seal wouldn't seal and one of the flexplate mount pads was stripped so I ordered a reman replacement.

Replacement arrived and looked just like the old one with balance weights welded on each side of the drain plug.

Installed it and noticed immediately a new vibration off idle. Don't have a tach but you don't have to give it much gas to feel it.

May be happening at idle, but don't really feel anything until the RPMs go up. Under the hood at idle the engine sounds like a precision sewing machine and isn't shaking or moving at all.

The converter works, car drives fine, no odd noises, just vibration. Everything rattles at certain RPMs... steering column, console, etc.

What happened here? I am at a loss for how installing a weighted converter in place of a weighted converter can introduce such a dramatic vibration problem.

Everything is stock... motor stock, original flexplate, etc.

Very frustrating problem... was hoping to solve some problems and ended up with a worse one! mad

Any thoughts?

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2995526
12/15/21 03:57 PM
12/15/21 03:57 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
What crank is in your car now? Cast or forged? What converter did you order?

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: NITROUSN] #2995541
12/15/21 04:24 PM
12/15/21 04:24 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
What crank is in your car now? Cast or forged? What converter did you order?

Sorry did not mention that specifically...

The weighted converter implies that it is a cast crank 440 but a lot can happen over 47 years...
It is still a cast crank with large damper and the original converter had the weights.

Before the replacement the vibration was not present.

The replacement was a reman from a local gear and drivetrain shop. "Precision" brand, which they sell a ton of.
It is the correct one for the application based on the part number and also visual comparison of old and new.

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2995548
12/15/21 04:52 PM
12/15/21 04:52 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Converter snout welded on crooked or not concentric
Converter snout may have been turned undersize by rebuilder.
Drive shaft not reinstalled properly.

Last edited by GomangoCuda; 12/15/21 04:56 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2995563
12/15/21 05:26 PM
12/15/21 05:26 PM
Boise
M
Moparteacher Offline
mopar
Moparteacher  Offline
mopar
M

Boise
If memory serves me correctly, there are two different counter weighted torque converters for externally balanced 440s. The weights are not the same. One is for a cast crank with LY rods; the second is for forged cranks with HD (aka six-pack) rods. Both engines came externally balance thus the weights on the TC, but different weight requirements.

Are the weights on the new torque converter the same width, length and height as the weights on the old torque converter?

I may be wrong on this, I need to find my Direct Connection Engine book. You may find more info in the Moparts Tech Archives.

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Moparteacher] #2995579
12/15/21 06:11 PM
12/15/21 06:11 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
top fuel
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
top fuel

God's Country Maryland
What was worn out on the hub? If it was where the front bushing rides that bushing is most likely damaged, did you inspect it while you had it apart?

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!
Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #2995592
12/15/21 06:38 PM
12/15/21 06:38 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio
Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340
What was worn out on the hub? If it was where the front bushing rides that bushing is most likely damaged, did you inspect it while you had it apart?

Trans is freshly rebuilt with all new bushings. Aside from not sealing properly, the old converter would have eventually tore up the bushing.

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: GomangoCuda] #2995593
12/15/21 06:40 PM
12/15/21 06:40 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Converter snout welded on crooked or not concentric
Converter snout may have been turned undersize by rebuilder.
Drive shaft not reinstalled properly.

Yes, I am concerned about defects from the remanufacturer. I would hope they test things before sending them out, but you never know these days...
Converter has a warranty but I am not looking forward to taking it back out again.

Driveshaft is not a factor... vibration is present in neutral or park as well as when driving.

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Moparteacher] #2995596
12/15/21 06:46 PM
12/15/21 06:46 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio
Originally Posted by Moparteacher
If memory serves me correctly, there are two different counter weighted torque converters for externally balanced 440s. The weights are not the same. One is for a cast crank with LY rods; the second is for forged cranks with HD (aka six-pack) rods. Both engines came externally balance thus the weights on the TC, but different weight requirements.

Are the weights on the new torque converter the same width, length and height as the weights on the old torque converter?

I may be wrong on this, I need to find my Direct Connection Engine book. You may find more info in the Moparts Tech Archives.

My understanding is the single, large "butterfly" weight came along later. Mine has the two smaller rectangular weights, one on each side
of the drain plug. Old converter was like that, and so is the replacement. The weights appear to be the same size on both, but I can measure
to be sure.

One of the weights on the new converter is touching the flex plate pad, as far away from the drain plug as you can get it. The other weight is close to the drain plug, as is both of the weights on the old converter. Is this setup sensitive enough to notice that one weight being that far to the side? It doesn't look the the remanufacturer moved the weights, so this one may have been there from day one (ie., chrysler put it there). That is really the only anomaly between the two converters....

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2995611
12/15/21 07:05 PM
12/15/21 07:05 PM
Boise
M
Moparteacher Offline
mopar
Moparteacher  Offline
mopar
M

Boise
Originally Posted by Racer X

My understanding is the single, large "butterfly" weight came along later. Mine has the two smaller rectangular weights, one on each side
of the drain plug. Old converter was like that, and so is the replacement. The weights appear to be the same size on both, but I can measure
to be sure.

One of the weights on the new converter is touching the flex plate pad, as far away from the drain plug as you can get it. The other weight is close to the drain plug, as is both of the weights on the old converter. Is this setup sensitive enough to notice that one weight being that far to the side? It doesn't look the the remanufacturer moved the weights, so this one may have been there from day one (ie., chrysler put it there). That is really the only anomaly between the two converters....

Well, I can't find my book, but the all-knowing internet says all the externally balnaced big blocks and six-pack rod equipped 440s used the same weights placed in the same location with the later model using a single weight, but the small block 360 converters used weights that were spread apart a bit more from the drain plug and of a slightly different weight.
Is it possible you received a small block 360 torque converter?

Maybe this will shed some light? https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/torque-converter-weight-conundrum.397714/

Last edited by Moparteacher; 12/15/21 07:08 PM.
Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Moparteacher] #2995617
12/15/21 07:27 PM
12/15/21 07:27 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio

to be sure.

Well, I can't find my book, but the all-knowing internet says all the externally balnaced big blocks and six-pack rod equipped 440s used the same weights placed in the same location with the later model using a single weight, but the small block 360 converters used weights that were spread apart a bit more from the drain plug and of a slightly different weight.
Is it possible you received a small block 360 torque converter?

Maybe this will shed some light? https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/torque-converter-weight-conundrum.397714/

I think we have our smoking gun...

I'll post up a couple pictures later but when you mentioned "slightly different weight" that got me thinking....

I pulled out the digital caliper and checked... the weights are much smaller on the new converter---

OLD:
1.42 long, .78 wide, .25 thick

NEW:
1.07 long, .51 wide, .138 thick

Significant difference. I would think that would account for the vibration. I didn't look at them that closely before because
I did not expect that there are difference size weights for the big blocks. I just verified that there were two weights.

So perhaps they did give me a small block converter?

I'd really hate to take it apart again and wait for them to replace the converter. Does anyone see any issues with knocking the larger
weights off of the old converter and replacing the small ones in the locations there were in on the old converter? That is
something I can do with it still in the car...

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2995621
12/15/21 08:05 PM
12/15/21 08:05 PM
San Antonio
Racer X Offline OP
Racer X  Offline OP

San Antonio
Here are pictures showing the weights on the old torque converter and the new...

Not only are they much smaller on the new one, one of the weights appears to be mis-placed. I've never seen a weight askew like that. Usually they are near to the drain plug like the other weight...

old_TC.jpgnew_TC.jpg
Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2995631
12/15/21 08:36 PM
12/15/21 08:36 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
the location and size of the weights depend on what the application is.

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2996272
12/17/21 09:31 PM
12/17/21 09:31 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Here are pictures showing the weights on the old torque converter and the new...

Not only are they much smaller on the new one, one of the weights appears to be mis-placed. I've never seen a weight askew like that. Usually they are near to the drain plug like the other weight...

shock eek
I'd yank that converter in a nano second before any damage is done. twocents popcorn

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Moparteacher] #2996350
12/18/21 10:26 AM
12/18/21 10:26 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota

The externally balanced cast crank engine has a harmonic damper that says something like "Use W/Cast Crank Only" and the harmonic damper for the externally balanced forged crank engine has nothing.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: Racer X] #2996550
12/18/21 07:54 PM
12/18/21 07:54 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan

1974 Roadrunner with 440 & 727. The old torque converter's hub was worn out and the pump seal wouldn't seal and one of the flexplate mount pads was stripped so I ordered a reman replacement.

Replacement arrived and looked just like the old one with balance weights welded on each side of the drain plug.

Installed it and noticed immediately a new vibration off idle. Don't have a tach but you don't have to give it much gas to feel it.

May be happening at idle, but don't really feel anything until the RPMs go up. Under the hood at idle the engine sounds like a precision sewing machine and isn't shaking or moving at all.

The converter works, car drives fine, no odd noises, just vibration. Everything rattles at certain RPMs... steering column, console, etc.

What happened here? I am at a loss for how installing a weighted converter in place of a weighted converter can introduce such a dramatic vibration problem.

Everything is stock... motor stock, original flexplate, etc.

Very frustrating problem... was hoping to solve some problems and ended up with a worse one! mad

Any thoughts?

Print says your converter is from a 1970/1971 440 6 Pack.

Re: 440 new vibration after changing torque converter [Re: A727Tflite] #2996678
12/19/21 11:14 AM
12/19/21 11:14 AM
westerly, ri. usa
440lebaron Offline
top fuel
440lebaron  Offline
top fuel

westerly, ri. usa
looks like new convetor was rebalanced, might be wrong?

all parts are sold as is, all parts are considered used no warranties or returns
paypal/check/money order, shipping is from zip 02891, buyer pays paypal fees 24% IRS 1099A plus 3% of part price, check/money order preferred
site is not monitored 24/7 there might be a delay in response