D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by A12
Also nothing new with "paying" to have a dealer install an "option" or feature on motorcycles now. Motorcycle manufactures are charging, on some lower than top of the line models, where some features are baked into the original selling (MSRP) price for things like self canceling turn signals, addition of heated grips and heated seats, remapping for aftermarket or manufacture accessory (legal) exhaust system. Would you really expect to get your car tuned or re-jetted by a dealer or even a performance shop for free? As for the "Right to Repair" that's an issue that I'm behind as far as protecting the mechanics and dealers that pay to be a franchised dealer and have to pay their bills and their mechanics and their manufacture's spent lots and lots of time to develope certain aspects of their product so why should they give it away free? Harley Davidson has had to deal with this for decades with local non-Harley repair shops hanging a Harley-Davidson sign out front of some old gas station bike shop. Then when they screw up someone's bike on a repair or tune up they don't get the bad reputation for the botched repair and $#!t running Harley Davidson does. You can still do 99.9% of the repairs and adjustments without the factory data or special electronic equipment and JD, Harley, Honda, Chrysler, etc., are NOT going to hand over data and the programs they spent millions of dollars to develop for free so their dealers could make an income and protect their franchised business. Funny how my best friend had to pay Snap-On a fee of around $600 to update his Snap-On OBD scan tool.......I said you could go to Autozone and pick up a scan tool for less than a hundred bucks...........he looked at me sideways and I said "just joking" lol. No one is stopping anyone from working on anything if they want to work on something......the worst that happens is not warrantable, no free repair parts and no diagnostic tools or data for free to make the repair quick, easy, cheap and correct. The local franchised dealer gets to pay their overhead and pay their employees and the employees get to feed their familes and pay their mortgage and pay their go to work vehicle bills too. If you were a John Deere dealer you would hope that John Deere would go to bat for you to protect your franchised business that you have, in some case millions of dollars invested and in most cases for decades. Want to work on your combine you're more than welcome to do so..........just don't head over to the JD dealer and ask them to borrow their diagnostic equipment for a day or two........better to go to NAPA or Tractor Supply Company and see if they have a $100 JD combine scan tool you can borrow for free wink

As hard as that was to read, I think I got your point. The real problem with your scenario is that the 'stealerships' around here charge $150 an hour. Are barely competent. And are not very efficient. Without real competition, this will only get worse.

For an example, just look at service parts. Who here goes to the auto manufacturer for most wear items? When was the last time you bought wiper blades or bulbs or filters or brake pads from the dealer. You don't do that. And that's because they are not competitive and offer nothing for the additional cost. That is the same problem they have with service. But now they have figured out a way to FORCE some of us to deal with them. Some of us, but not me. No new vehicles. Not now, not ever. Just wait a few years, let the aftermarket catch up, and buy used.

Master, again and still
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: a12rag] #2995807
12/16/21 01:26 PM
12/16/21 01:26 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
I guess from reading these next two paragraphs someone will have to re-post this in 10 years to start another argue thread wink laugh2

Here's how it breaks down. For 2018 to 2020 vehicles with a remote start function on the key fob, the feature will work for three years over a "trial period." Even though an owner's fob features the button, the function will be deactivated after that three-year timeframe. To regain the remote start feature, owners will need to shop the brand's Connected Services for Remote Connect. The price is $80 per year or $8 per month, which also includes a host of other digital functions available through the Toyota smartphone app.

No new Toyota vehicles will feature the remote start function on a key fob. "As we move to more digital experiences within the Toyota app, key fob remote start is not a feature we actively market," the company said. For certain 2020 model year vehicles and newer, owners receive a 10-year trial for Connected Services. In other words, there's a good chance owners won't need to pony up the cash to use remote start since they get over a decade of free use. But, eventually, it will expire for good and require a Remote Connect subscription.

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: A12] #2995812
12/16/21 01:52 PM
12/16/21 01:52 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad

Originally Posted by A12
Mike what are some of these options that are being deactivated ?

The most prominent examples are the auto pilot/self-driving features.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: not_a_charger] #2995815
12/16/21 02:22 PM
12/16/21 02:22 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by A12

With those features does a new vehicle purchaser have to sign a wavier and/or liability release? I would think and hope so and that may be the reason it's not transferable??

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: A12] #2995888
12/16/21 07:12 PM
12/16/21 07:12 PM
not_a_charger Online mad

DBAP
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: not_a_charger] #2995898
12/16/21 07:47 PM
12/16/21 07:47 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

Wow a nearly $9,500.00 U.S. option, yikes. shock and Tesla claims their info shows it wasn't paid for in the original configuration sale and that's why they deactivated it??? Would Tesla do that even if their records showed it was paid for?????

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: not_a_charger] #2995913
12/16/21 08:28 PM
12/16/21 08:28 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by A12

Great!
We are going to have a new bunch of fools that never learned, or have forgotten, how to drive because of these "features" and they are going to have to start driving again. Better up your insurance, I predict a lot more crashes when these fools loose their auto-driving features and are expected to remember or know how to stay in their own lane of traffic.

Will we be able to sue Toyota when the auto-drive vehicle went out of control because someone didn't re-up the subscription and they abruptly turned it off? Gene

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: a12rag] #2995916
12/16/21 08:30 PM
12/16/21 08:30 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Just another PERFECT example of people outsmarting themselves.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: not_a_charger] #2995918
12/16/21 08:33 PM
12/16/21 08:33 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Here to stay. In fact, Tesla (and I think BMW?) has previously deactivated options that you purchased if you end up selling the car. Not pay-as-you-go items, either. You bought the car, paid for the option like you would on any other car, but you sell the car, and they deactivate it.

Like power steering, power windows, the A/C, the radio, etc. The technology is there for them to deactivate the features. I guess the way they look at it is why not? "That way we can make even more $$ by continuing to enable these features because we have the technology to deactivate them. We can extort $$ from all our customers."

Hey - whatever..................

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: a12rag] #2996049
12/17/21 10:02 AM
12/17/21 10:02 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I am not a pay per month advocate on anything. Greed is all it is.

BUT

How can a car company provide a cell phone based service each month without incurring a monthly cost?

Maybe I just do not understand how the cell based remote start systems work, shruggy but it seems to me the phone and the car would need a cellular service to make that long distance connection?

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: IMGTX] #2996105
12/17/21 12:31 PM
12/17/21 12:31 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by IMGTX
I am not a pay per month advocate on anything. Greed is all it is.

BUT

How can a car company provide a cell phone based service each month without incurring a monthly cost?

Maybe I just do not understand how the cell based remote start systems work, shruggy but it seems to me the phone and the car would need a cellular service to make that long distance connection?

up And long distance remote start is not the only feature you get with that option in the vehicle. Even now keyfob short distance is not free even if some think that it is, it's baked into the MSRP of the vehicle when originally purchased the vehicle just like power locks, power windows, etc., A SiriusXM subscription my seem like it's free for the first year when you buy a new vehicle but it's also baked into the price of the vehicle/model. When that "free" period ends get out the credit card and pay if you still want it.... and it's way more than $80 a year.

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: A12] #2996108
12/17/21 12:40 PM
12/17/21 12:40 PM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
GREED is ALL it is. mad flame down
one can only hope "what goes around comes around", and "karma is a b$tch"
beer

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: moparx] #2996111
12/17/21 12:52 PM
12/17/21 12:52 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by moparx
GREED is ALL it is. mad flame down
one can only hope "what goes around comes around", and "karma is a b$tch"
beer

up Kind of like when Chrysler charged almost twice as much for an engine with less displacement than another performance package.

Greed down wink grin

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: A12] #2996114
12/17/21 12:59 PM
12/17/21 12:59 PM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i forgot to add "what goes around, comes around".........

i'm glad my 1999 carotvan and my wife's 1994 concorde are the last cars we will buy in our lifetimes. her remote key fob works well, thank you. up
beer

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: moparx] #2996296
12/17/21 10:49 PM
12/17/21 10:49 PM

S
Superfreak
Unregistered
Superfreak
Unregistered
S

I am a huge believer in the right to repair. You buy the product and it is yours to do with what ever you please. Allowing a manufacturer to have control in any way shape or form of the product you own is absolute bs. I don't care what the manufactures cry about with the amount of r&d they put into the product
They did this to build a better product to sell to the public and to business's and does not mean they get to have control of the product after the fact. Just goes to show you that big business has their hands wrapped around the politicians.

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: ] #2996316
12/18/21 03:06 AM
12/18/21 03:06 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
i agree with the right to repair stuff. but there should also be some limits to this.
my case in point.
i work in a VW dealer body shop. VW restricts selling structural body parts to only qualified repair shops with the proper equipment to install them properly. i know GM does this also. i hear a steady stream of stories from the guys in the parts departments about joe blow hack autobody car rebuilder who try to buy them and are denied. they are screaming about how they are violating the right to repair laws.
i myself agree 100% with VW on this. they should be allowed to restrict who buys these parts. if you are not qualified and don't have the proper equipment to install them. chances are they won't be installed properly and in extreme views can de value the car brand.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: Mr T2U] #2996327
12/18/21 07:11 AM
12/18/21 07:11 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

A lot of OEMs do that now, at least with some of their models. For example, you have to be OE Audi certified to get any structural parts on the TT, A8, R8. Tesla only sells structural parts to OE certified shops. My friend owns an OE Tesla shop, and whoo boy, are those things built like trash...but I digress.

DBAP
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: not_a_charger] #2996346
12/18/21 10:08 AM
12/18/21 10:08 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
A lot of OEMs do that now, at least with some of their models. For example, you have to be OE Audi certified to get any structural parts on the TT, A8, R8. Tesla only sells structural parts to OE certified shops. My friend owns an OE Tesla shop, and whoo boy, are those things built like trash...but I digress.

Wonder if some of the workers are still using uhh "stimulants" to keep up with the line as was common practice back in the 70's. The new hires especially, as they typically got the real cr-p jobs that were near impossible to do without the above mentioned daily supplements. shruggy popcorn

Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: Mr T2U] #2996358
12/18/21 10:41 AM
12/18/21 10:41 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
i agree with the right to repair stuff. but there should also be some limits to this.
my case in point.
i work in a VW dealer body shop. VW restricts selling structural body parts to only qualified repair shops with the proper equipment to install them properly. i know GM does this also. i hear a steady stream of stories from the guys in the parts departments about joe blow hack autobody car rebuilder who try to buy them and are denied. they are screaming about how they are violating the right to repair laws.
i myself agree 100% with VW on this. they should be allowed to restrict who buys these parts. if you are not qualified and don't have the proper equipment to install them. chances are they won't be installed properly and in extreme views can de value the car brand.

What a load of crap. VW is concerned that some independent repairs may de-value their brand? After they got caught lying to the government and their customers about their emissions? That's rich!

And to think that denying anyone structural parts will stop that kind of repair by 'un-certified' reapir facilities is equally delusional. If someone can't get the parts from VW, they will either get them from a salvaged vehicle or worse yet, patch the damaged parts back as best they can. Either way, not VW or Tesla or the government have any power what-so-ever to prevent shoddy repairs if someone is determined to do it.

Master, again and still
Re: Car Makers making you PAY subscription FEE [Re: A12] #2996385
12/18/21 11:29 AM
12/18/21 11:29 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by IMGTX

up And long distance remote start is not the only feature you get with that option in the vehicle. Even now keyfob short distance is not free even if some think that it is, it's baked into the MSRP of the vehicle when originally purchased the vehicle just like power locks, power windows, etc., A SiriusXM subscription my seem like it's free for the first year when you buy a new vehicle but it's also baked into the price of the vehicle/model. When that "free" period ends get out the credit card and pay if you still want it.... and it's way more than $80 a year.

I'm somewhat surprised our save the planet groups haven't jumped on the remote start thing. Try to imagine the amount of fuel consumed and emissions generated in this country alone with the feature whistling stirthepot

Things like this make me glad I was born when I was, and grew up when I did. I don't feel a bit sorry for the upcoming generations as their parents are the ones creating the mess, but are to d-mn consumed with themselves to even realize the consequences of their actions.

Way off topic but something that has really bothered me. Eleven days ago was the 80th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I only saw 1 post on FB acknowledging it. NOTHING on the media or anywhere else. It's as though it never happened down frown

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4