12/08/21 04:19 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
…so this is cool 😊

Ok - all of us – all of us, have a story about ‘the one that got away’ – the one car or truck or bike or other favorite toy that we wish we’d never given up, whether it was sold, traded, stolen, wrecked, or otherwise reluctantly sacrificed to the pages of history. I am no exception to that unfortunate occurrence; my favorite toy from the hot rod era is a gold 71 Demon with a 318 and a 4-speed - loved that car - so fun to drive and own, but alas, it got away from me...but I am very delighted to say that I think I found a way to 'get it back'. Lemme take y’all back to 1992…

I was at my first duty station in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and my best friend was going through some rough times and came to live with me. I was ALL into hot rods – I had a 68 Charger and managed to bring it to Cheyenne with me, but was very quickly discovering just how difficult it was to keep a big B-body musclecar alive and well, meaning it takes a lot more money than I had, and parts were very scarce, even in the 90’s. Well, I’d just met a guy there who had a 66 Cuda, and once we started swappin’ hot rod stories and him telling me about his Cuda, well I started ‘looking’ at A-body’s. I checked out the first pages of my Chilton’s manuals which had basic but accurate pictorials of the front end of the cars represented in the manual, and one that caught my eye was the 71 Demon. Sharp lookin’ car – nice lines – had a bit of a menacing look to them, and being a coupe they just looked goooood. Well, it didn’t take too many weeks of scanning the Rocky Mountain News to find a 71 Demon for sale in Denver, and after a bit of logistical gymnastics and $500 bucks I managed to haul it home. It needed a lot of help, but I was up to the challenge. And in the process of rebuilding it I quickly came to realize that owning an A-body is not only cheaper but also much easier to maintain as parts were still in just about every junk yard, and again still at decent prices.

Well, my best friend now living with me needed a car, and I remembered a brown 71 Duster Twister I’d eyed in my local junk yard, and sure enough it was still complete enough to salvage, and…had a title. I don’t remember exactly how/where we found the driveline for it, but like my Demon it ended up with a 318 and an overdrive 4-speed, but with the smaller 8-1/4 rear with 3.21s (mine had an 8-3/4 with 4.10s). The car was super fun to drive and served him well, but unfortunately a short time later he got rear-ended which crunched both the back and front of the car when he got shoved into the car in front of him. Luckily he was okay, but the cars’ unibody was done. Well, we searched for another A-body, and wouldn’t ya know we found another running/driving 71 Demon hiding in Denver, this one had a 225 slant 6 and an auto. It took us ‘hours’ to swap in the Dusters’ driveline, and in no time that gold Demon was driving around just as easy as you please. About this time however my friend moved back to Pittsburgh, and in the midst of his move I ended up keeping the car.

Well naturally I drove it around and really enjoyed it, and had just moved to my second duty station here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I made a few enhancements to the car, including having the rear wheels widened to 15x8s with new outer rims, and after watching the oil pressure steadily decline over the course of a month rebuilt the tired 318 and added a 4bbl cam/intake/carb. Not much else was done to the car because it just drove so well and was SO much fun to drive. The combination of the fresh 318, overdrive 4-speed, and 3.21s was just a ‘perfect’ combo – it’d fry 1st and 2nd gear, was fun to shift, handled great and got great mileage – the car got an honest 22 mpg!

I know it doesn't 'look' like much, but this was a super fun car, and I want it back smile -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But...well I was undeterred and always looking for something ‘better’, and around this time I was also suffering from ‘Challenger fever’…and (here it comes)…I traded the Demon to my friends in the local Mopar club for their 73 Ralley Challenger 340. Now…that really wasn’t a bad trade. The Challenger needed engine work, but it was a real ralley car, and I really liked it. It wasn’t a stick, which kinda sucked, but hey I could change that. So I freshened up the 340 and drove it for a while…..and that’s about when I heard…that the Demon got wrecked. OH I was bummed out – SUCH a great car. But, it happened, and there was nothing could do but move on…or could I…

Fast-forward about 25 years, and no…I haven’t moved on. I’ve owned a lot of cars n trucks – literally dozens of both, and among all of them…that gold 71 Demon has remained the one I wish I’d never let go. I’m much older now – got a family ‘n everything!, and while I’m still a major hot rodder...tho mostly now into off-roading, but still...I'd love to have 'something' reminiscent of my hot rodding/muscle car time - a 'tether' of sorts to that glorious fun RWD time, and I’ve been thinking, ’man...that gold Demon would be such a great machine for just that purpose - wouldn’t it be cool to have it back’. There aren’t many A-body’s hiding in the back yards and garages anymore these days, and most of what’s out there is pretty far gone or picked over. Still, undeterred, I’ve been keeping my eyes n ears open for any A-body’s that might serve as a proper candidate to ‘clone’ that 71 Demon. Tall order, but I can be pretty optimistic. One of the reasons for that is I actually have some of the body from that 71 Demon. After it got totaled, I asked if I could have some of the body panels from the car as spares for my other 71 Demon that I’d turned into a pretty badass race car, and my friends said ‘sure – take whatever you’d like’. So, I grabbed the hood, front fenders, grill, rear bumper, and tail section with the Demon taillight panels. Armed with those parts…if I found another suitable A-body…I knew I could build/restore the car to be a very close clone to that 71 Demon, and – and this is the big part – with such a machine in the stable I would very likely never need another hot rod – that car would serve as my ‘tether’ to the hot rod world…a physical reminder of how it all began for me. Bonus – my wife would also love to have such a machine for her to play around with for identical reasons – just a nice, simple, easy, and cheap way to remember what hot rods are like – carburetor n everything 😊…just gotta find a suitable candidate... and in 2021 that isn’t easy. Then came a particular trip to Moab...

About a month ago my off-road club, Bighorn 4x4s, had its annual trip to Moab for some serious off-road fun and frolic. To keep that particular long story short-ish, we almost inevitably end up stopping off at our buddy Ken’s place who lives there in Moab, for the use of his shop for repairs. Well this trip was no different - one of our number broke a ram-assist fitting at the top of Cliffhanger, and a few hours later we all rolled into Ken’s place…and upon peering around his property I was immediately reminded of previous visits there because of all of the cars Ken has there. Totally forgot about them all, but I hadn’t been to Moab in 4 years and have changed a LOT of poopy diapers since then, but nevertheless here we are, and there they are – 4 Mopar A-body’s, sitting under the trees just hangin’ out, one of ‘em appears to be a driver over in a parking area. Well...since I’ve been unofficially ‘searching’ for a suitable candidate for my 71 Demon clone I was naturally curious about the status and health of the cars, and struck up a fun conversation with Ken while the others wrenched on the broken gearbox.

The cars were all Plymouth Dusters between ’72-’75, and I was really interested in one of ‘em, a ’73 that was pretty complete, tho not running and in need a full restoration, nor did it have wheels on it. There was also a ’75 that was in worse shape but was similar in options, including interior parts and such. I didn’t really have a high expectation of either of these cars eventually coming home with me, but after talking with Ken and explaining this whole story, Ken said ‘...that is a really good story...’ and agreed to sell me not just the 73 but also the 75 as a ‘parts car’, for a very reasonable price. Plus my buddy Ben was also working a deal for a 77 Ramcharger hiding behind a tree. All we had to do now was organize a return trip back sometime soon to bring ‘em all home, and that's just what we did.

Just three weeks after the 4x4 trip, Ben, Homer n me made a quick weekend return trip back to Moab to retrieve the machinery – each of us in our respective trucks with a flatbed in tow. The trip was nice and uneventful; we departed early Saturday morning, made it to Moab in under 8 hrs, had a fun easy afternoon bolting on temporary wheels/tires to the Dusters and unearthing all three machines from their dirty, dusty cocoons, then giving each of them a bit of a scrub with a pressure washer. The day was capped off with dinner at the Broken Oar, an overnight at the Holiday Inn Express, and a smooth return trip home Sunday.

With both Dusters stowed in the barn the long cloning process now begins. Our ‘Demon’ will have a small block 318, an A-833 overdrive 4-speed, and a highway-geared rear end. I am seriously considering going with a nice Magnum 318 and enjoying all the inherent benefits of the Magnum series small blocks, or I can restore the original 318 in it already. I don’t need nor want the car to be a numbers and/or year-correct ’71 – I’m fully planning to incorporate as much ‘technology’ in the chassis as prudent (roller cam, serpentine setup, newer rear end with factory rear discs/e-brake, etc.) – things that will make the car easier to maintain in the long run, etc. It’ll be a nice warm 318 tho – nice lumpy cam but with a low overlap as possible, sipping any available 87 octane pump gas, but it will be carbureted – no EFI on this one – I want it to be ‘old-school’ that way 😊. It’ll be a ‘street machine’ – original-sourced parts but with some ‘hot rod’ mixed in – a true reminder of what the original car was while also having some modern conveniences mixed in. I do...however...have the thought of a nice carbureted 5.7 Hemi and manual trans floating around in me head...but I dunno...

Either way, this may likely be the last major project I do in my lifetime, and I’m fully intending the family to be involved in this one as much as possible – I think the kids will have fun scrubbing parts or moving stuff around, and when they’re old enough...well you can imagine what will come as soon as they can reach the pedals 😊.

So there it is – I just thought y’all might dig hearing about it 😊. Naturally...here’s pics 😊

the '73 Duster 'core' and the 75 Duster parts car (and Homie bolting on a wheel) -

[Linked Image]

me, with the core of my next big project -

[Linked Image]

before a scrub with a pressure washer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and after - cleaned up pretty good -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mad-Max; 06/15/23 06:18 PM.

71 Demon (project): 318, A-833od, 8-3/4, 3.23's
14 Wrangler JKU M-380 "Oxx" (under construction): Magnum 360, 46rh, Atlas4, D60/14b-5.38s-Grizzlys, 40s
07 Ram 3500 MegaDually 4x4 "Big Mack": 5.9 6BT, G56 'Toy Hauler'
52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war... [Re: Mad-Max] #2993271
12/08/21 04:32 PM
12/08/21 04:32 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
[Linked Image]

and the '75 Duster parts car (with 90's era Pontiac donut spare tires/wheels (5x101.6 bolt pattern - fits a 5x4 Mopar just good enough)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...our convoy at a rest stop east bound on I-70 -

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mad-Max; 12/08/21 05:18 PM.

14 Wrangler JKU M-380 "Oxx" (under construction): Magnum 360, 46rh, Atlas4, D60/14b-5.38s-Grizzlys, 40s
52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #2993284
12/08/21 05:18 PM
12/08/21 05:18 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
...stowed in the barn with all the other misfit toys -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...just needs a good vacuuming and a bit of a scrub...and yah everything else, but at least there is something 'to' restore -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...parts of the clip from the original car -

[Linked Image]

Anyway - just thought I'd post up with my story of how I'm gonna 'recapture'...the one that got away smile

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 12/08/21 05:22 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #2993291
12/08/21 05:29 PM
12/08/21 05:29 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
...and since I'm sharing, the pics below are of the other hellafun Demon I had at the time. It's currently engine-less with a damaged quarter panel...and I could use it for the basis of my clone...but it would require a lotlotlot of 'counter-modification' work getting it back to the stock configuration and such, so I'm letting it go to the same good friend who got the gold one, and he has big plans for it smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mad-Max; 04/18/23 11:50 AM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #2993364
12/08/21 09:10 PM
12/08/21 09:10 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Folding rear seat and sunroof...that's a nice old Plymouth. Looks better clean and up off the ground.

"...just needs a good vacuuming and a bit of a scrub..." I want to SEE that vacuum! grin

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: DynoDave] #2994015
12/10/21 12:36 PM
12/10/21 12:36 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
grin yah it definitely needs some cleaning, and I'm sure the restoration will be involved, but still it's a great core to begin with. This'll be a very long-term project - I've had my eyes open for just such an opportunity, and it was really cool that the car(s) just happened to be hiding at one of my good friends place. Alas, other than collecting parts there likely won't be a lot of traction on this project for a few years, but there will be traction and I'll update the thread when I have some tasty bits of goodness to share smile .

Meanwhile, Happy Holidays everyone Santa3

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 12/13/21 12:28 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #2994207
12/10/21 10:03 PM
12/10/21 10:03 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Good deal Sam. I look forward to following your progress.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: DynoDave] #3043910
05/20/22 01:24 PM
05/20/22 01:24 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
...just pondering for future JY runs and figured I'd post my thoughts - see if anyone has any advice or recommendations...

So I'm gonna need a rear axle. My list of 'wants' include: ~57-58" WMS & 5x4.5 bolt pattern, factory limited slip/capable, factory disc brakes, factory e-brakes, full-floating hubs.

While I have access to both an 8-1/4 and an 8-3/4...I really want something with factory disc brakes and factory e-brakes - all maintainable with off-the-shelf hardware - nothing 'one-off/custom', and for sure nothing that uses the El Dorado calipers, like ever.

The Jeep Cherokee D35 and Ford 8.8 come up a lot, and I think I'm leaning towards the 8.8. I'm just gonna have a nice warm 318 and an 833od 4-speed under my right foot, so not a ton of carnage-making torque to 'worry' about. Ideally I want a full-floating axle, and IIRC the only way to do that is with a modified D44, which is still a possibility, but not sure I wanna go through all the hassle of narrowing one.

My Demon needs an axle in the 57.5" WMS range, and if I understand correctly the 90-92 Ranger 8.8 (56.50") and 93-09 Ranger 8.8 (58.50") will be just about perfect, tho I do not think either are FF axles I think I could convert an 8.8 to be a FF unit.

Ideally I'd like an axle with a 3.08-3.55 gear ratio, with a limited slip.

Again...just posting my ponderings, and if someone out there has 'been there and done that' please lemme know - I'd love to hear about what's been done and how well it's worked out smile

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 05/26/22 12:16 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #3045611
05/27/22 12:02 PM
05/27/22 12:02 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
...just came across the articles Ehrenberg wrote a while ago using rear discs from an 03-07 Jeep Liberty or 03-06 Wrangler - this is my leading option for 'rear discs on an 8-3/4' under my Demon. I'd kinda like the main bracket not milled down so much...but I haven't seen any negative reviews about strength so I guess it's still strong enough. Still...the cost delta between going with this 'JY-parts' version and a brand new bolt-up $1000 version from Wilwood may not be that big to make the juice worth the squeeze.

Pt 1 - https://www.moparaction.com/2020/07/04/take-a-break/

Pt 2 - https://www.moparaction.com/2020/07/05/rear-disc-brakes-part-2/

Wilwood setup - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-11395

Last edited by Mad-Max; 05/27/22 12:36 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #3047370
06/02/22 12:51 PM
06/02/22 12:51 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Dr Diff has a couple rear disc options as well. Not cheap but not as expensive as Wilwood either.

Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: burdar] #3108459
01/04/23 02:53 PM
01/04/23 02:53 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
Cool - I think I've finally determined the color of my old Demon - GY8 Gold Poly (y) . I found a link to a sweet 72 Dart that was for sale, and I'm 99.999% certain the Dart is the color of my old Demon, and amongst the dozens of pics of the Dart is...wait for it...a pic of the fender tag!, and the color code reads GY8 Gold Poly - woot!! I just called my local paint store and sure enough it's available, and they can mix in a precise amount of matte gloss to 'dim down' the patina so it isn't "glossy" - I don't want it to look 'fresh', I want it to look 'seasoned' thumbs . Anyway - just sharing the happy news smile

Pics of the Dart -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

linkie - [URL unfurl="true"]https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1598728/1972-dodge-dart-for-sale-in-o-fallon-illinois-62269[/URL]

Plus, I just brought home (what I hope to be) a good/rebuildable magnum 318 for my Demon.....currently residing inside a '94 Grand Cherokee but that can be 'removed'. It cranks but didn't fire when I went to look at it, and hauled it off for $450. Once at the shop I managed to get it started and running for about 5 seconds before it shut itself off (something about a security disable feature I think), but it gave me just enough time to determine it doesn't have any terminal bottom end noise. The plan is to pull the engine/trans/t-case, stow the engine for the Demon, save the 46rh as a spare for the wife's ZJ, don't know what to do with the t-case, and sell rest of the entire truck as a complete rolling machine for whatever I can get for it. The Rubicon wheels/tires alone are probably worth what I paid for it. I also ordered an Edelbrock 7577 intake and a set of MP valve covers while they were still available. This stuff is kinda getting hard to get... frown

Here's a pic of the 'engine' biggrin -

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mad-Max; 05/03/23 11:26 AM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #3112785
01/17/23 02:29 AM
01/17/23 02:29 AM
FL, USA
D
Drei Offline
Drei  Offline
D

FL, USA
Originally Posted by Mad-Max
Cool - I think I've finally determined the color of my old Demon - GY8 Gold Poly (y) . I found a link to a sweet 72 Dart that was for sale, and I'm 99.999% certain the Dart is the color of my old Demon, and amongst the dozens of pics of the Dart is...wait for it...a pic of the fender tag!, and the color code reads GY8 Gold Poly - woot!! I just called my local paint store and sure enough it's available, and they can mix in a precise amount of matte gloss to 'dim down' the patina so it isn't "glossy" - I don't want it to look 'fresh', I want it to look 'seasoned' thumbs . Anyway - just sharing the happy news smile

Pics of the Dart -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

linkie - [URL unfurl="true"]https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1598728/1972-dodge-dart-for-sale-in-o-fallon-illinois-62269[/URL]

Plus, I just brought home (what I hope to be) a good/rebuildable magnum 318 for my Demon.....currently surrounded by a whole bunch of '94 Grand Cherokee parts but that can be removed. It cranks but didn't fire when I went to look at it, and hauled it off for $450. The plan is to pull the engine/trans/t-case, stow the engine for the Demon, save the 46rh as a spare for Tracy's ZJ, don't know what to do with the t-case, and sell rest of the entire truck as a complete rolling machine for whatever I can get for it. The Rubicon wheels alone are probably worth that much with tires on them. I also ordered an Edelbrock 7577 intake and a set of MP valve covers while they were still available. This stuff is kinda getting hard to get... frown

Here's a pic of the 'engine' biggrin -

[Linked Image]

That's one sweet Dart!

Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Drei] #3114106
01/18/23 09:47 AM
01/18/23 09:47 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Wow, sunroof and fold down seat! Very cool!

I had a '75 Duster in High School. Lots of fond memories.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: GY3] #3114244
01/18/23 05:46 PM
01/18/23 05:46 PM
MARYLAND
69Cuda340S Offline
master
69Cuda340S  Offline
master

MARYLAND
One day it will be a gold Demon with sunroof and fold down seat and manual trans. Its gonna be worth it once its done. Will be extremely unique car for sure. And donor car looks to be very solid too.

Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: 69Cuda340S] #3114265
01/18/23 06:36 PM
01/18/23 06:36 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
yup, all that and a fresh magnum 318, OE 4-wheel discs, rally-inspired dash, A/C, deep offset argent silver 15x8 rallys out back and standard 15x6s up front, and 60-series BFGs - for me the best version of my one that got away smile

Last edited by Mad-Max; 01/18/23 07:15 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #3137986
04/14/23 02:56 PM
04/14/23 02:56 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
Cool project...my Duster was an original GY8 gold car. It was repainted sometime in the 90's a Dodge truck color, (Chili Pepper Red)and still has that paint on it today. But on the undercarriage, there are still places you can see the original gold paint. Good luck with your project! up

Last edited by RoadRunnerLuva; 04/14/23 02:59 PM.

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #3138023
04/14/23 05:38 PM
04/14/23 05:38 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
thanks - I'm trying to collect as many 'hard to find' parts as I can 'cux they's ain't getting any easier to find!...or any less spendy shock

Last edited by Mad-Max; 04/14/23 05:39 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #3138987
04/18/23 12:35 PM
04/18/23 12:35 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
one of the things that has me curious is which exhaust manifolds to use. So to recap - gonna build a nice warm Magnum 318, with a '340' cam, Eddy 7577 intake, and 1901 Street Demon carb - gonna use the OE (or new replacement) iron heads, and want the engine to be able to twist it up a bit - would like it to pull hard until shifting at about 6000 rpm, and I'm just wondering which exhaust manifolds will fit and work well. I do not care about 'racing' or max timeslips - could care completely less, just want a nice durable engine that I can hammer on with (semi) reckless glee smile .

Not doing headers. With that in mind my thoughts are naturally to go with a set of 340 manifolds and call it 'good'. I know they flow good and fit good, which is really about all there is to know, but I have two options for the passenger side - the center dump or the true rear angle unit. I already have a pair of the p-side center dump 340 units, but I'm figuring is I want to twist things up I might be best suited with the rear angled p-side unit...but being just a 318 I may not 'need' that much flow potential. Dunno, but I'm gathering parts and figured I'd post up my thoughts, and if anyone has any thoughts I'm happy to hear them.

Again it'll have power steering and a 4-speed, and I'll probably do a hydraulic clutch, and I know a good cast iron welder, and I might go with a set of the typical 1-7/8" or 2-1/8" Magnum manifolds with a modified drivers side unit, and I already have a good set from my 02 Dakota...

I wouldn't be averse to using regular 318 manifolds...but I think there's a genuine 'flow' limitation going that route.

Lastly...I'm really tempted to use the typical 1-7/8" Dakota/Durango manifolds and do whatever is necessary to make the d-side exit work well and be clear of the power steering/column and 4-speed linkage, which I am intending to go with hydraulic clutch linkage, and maybe a kit - something 'modern' version of power steering, maybe rack n pinion.

...anyone know if there is a decent power R&P steering setup for an A-body? Fabrication is no problem - it's a proven kit with templates I'd be all for it.

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 05/05/23 03:29 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"
Re: 71 Demon - the clone war - [Re: Mad-Max] #3151801
06/15/23 02:57 PM
06/15/23 02:57 PM
Falcon, CO
Mad-Max Offline OP
enthusiast
Mad-Max  Offline OP
enthusiast

Falcon, CO
ok - based on the intel in the link below (culminating in the below dyno specs), I've decided to go with a nice simple set of '73 A-body 318 manifolds on the warm magnum 318 going in our Demon thumbs

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3149775/340-manifolds-or-magnums.html

Bottom line: Using a 360 crate engine, there is very little difference between 318/340/360 manifolds (or even headers), and since I am not doing headers the decision is even easier - only 7hp/9 lb/ft difference b/t 318 and 340 manifolds (and just 16hp/25 lb/ft difference between 318 manifolds and the best TTI headers) - no where near enough to be remotely 'bothered' by, and 318 manifolds 'match' the magnum ports much better than the 340s, so 318 manifolds it is...and I already have 'em thumbs smile

[Linked Image]

318 above, 340 below -
[Linked Image]

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 06/15/23 06:29 PM.

52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"