06/05/21 12:14 PM
06/05/21 12:14 PM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline OP
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline OP
I Live Here

delivering your oil
There is a car show today in my town that I am registered for and I was excited to put the Roadrunner in the show, along with a 1989 K5 Blazer that I bought from a friend. It is rust free, pretty original, with a 2" lift, and is in amazing condition for its age, with a partial repaint somewhere along the line. I had the local paint and body guy respraying the hood, fixing a few small dents on the front fender and tailgate. The show is approaching and I have been stopping in to remind the owner (a very nice old guy) that I need it by June 5th for the show. He has had it for three months at this point...so yesterday I stop in to see if its ready...he had painted it that morning. They were unmaking it and getting ready to put the front bumper and grill back on. Paint has some crud in it here and there, which he assured me will buff out. I seem to see a LOT of orange peel but he assures me it will look great. I ask if it will be ready to put in the show tomorrow, in whatever condition its in, and he says it should be fine to drive the short distance to the show. Great!

I was continuing to have trouble with my Roadrunner gas tank leaking so I had the sending unit replaced locally, which did not fix the problem but did identify that the portion of the vent that goes up into the trunk was missing...causing the fuel to siphon out the tubing that was there above the tank. I did not know this (or notice) so we ordered the correct vent tubing and installed it. I was driving home yesterday from this shop (luckily got it finished in time for the show!) and I look down to see i have ~10 psi oil pressure at 2,800 rpm. Uh oh!! I didn't hear any horrible noises coming from the engine. I shut her down and pull over onto an adjacent road (it's out in the country) and call AAA. The auto repair was closed so AAA dropped it at my house (a mile or so from the breakdown) and is taking it to the shop Monday. Car is not safely driveable so I'm not going to be able to put her in the show. I might have to change the title of this thread! laugh

I went to pick up the Blazer this morning and no one is there. No car show entries for me this year, maybe my junk will be functional next year!

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! [Re: nutso suave] #2931361
06/08/21 04:53 PM
06/08/21 04:53 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by nutso suave
There is a car show today in my town that I am registered for and I was excited to put the Roadrunner in the show, along with a 1989 K5 Blazer that I bought from a friend. It is rust free, pretty original, with a 2" lift, and is in amazing condition for its age, with a partial repaint somewhere along the line. I had the local paint and body guy respraying the hood, fixing a few small dents on the front fender and tailgate. The show is approaching and I have been stopping in to remind the owner (a very nice old guy) that I need it by June 5th for the show. He has had it for three months at this point...so yesterday I stop in to see if its ready...he had painted it that morning. They were unmaking it and getting ready to put the front bumper and grill back on. Paint has some crud in it here and there, which he assured me will buff out. I seem to see a LOT of orange peel but he assures me it will look great. I ask if it will be ready to put in the show tomorrow, in whatever condition its in, and he says it should be fine to drive the short distance to the show. Great!

I was continuing to have trouble with my Roadrunner gas tank leaking so I had the sending unit replaced locally, which did not fix the problem but did identify that the portion of the vent that goes up into the trunk was missing...causing the fuel to siphon out the tubing that was there above the tank. I did not know this (or notice) so we ordered the correct vent tubing and installed it. I was driving home yesterday from this shop (luckily got it finished in time for the show!) and I look down to see i have ~10 psi oil pressure at 2,800 rpm. Uh oh!! I didn't hear any horrible noises coming from the engine. I shut her down and pull over onto an adjacent road (it's out in the country) and call AAA. The auto repair was closed so AAA dropped it at my house (a mile or so from the breakdown) and is taking it to the shop Monday. Car is not safely driveable so I'm not going to be able to put her in the show. I might have to change the title of this thread! laugh

I went to pick up the Blazer this morning and no one is there. No car show entries for me this year, maybe my junk will be functional next year!

Fram filter by chance?

How is your friend Larry doing?

If I might respectfully suggest, if dementia hasn't completely taken over, taking the car for him to see.
It might help him have a good day to see the results of what he was a part of.

Even if he's deteriorated, the car might trigger a moment of clarity. No downside I don't think.

Kevin

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! [Re: Twostick] #2931518
06/09/21 02:49 AM
06/09/21 02:49 AM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline OP
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline OP
I Live Here

delivering your oil
Yes, recently replaced fram filter. I'm interested to hear why you asked that...experiences?

I like your line of thinking. I am planning on heading up to visit Larry and his wife in the roadrunner after I get the engine figured out and get the new wheels and tires installed. I love the hobby and the cars, shows, burnouts, and the viceral experience of driving an old car. What I really miss is hanging out with my mopar buddies (and chevy and ford buddies too). Cruising in a long line to a destination somewhere, looking for parts at the swap meet, building engines, installing transmissions, learning from these old timers, bench racing, hearing stories from the old days, getting deep into 'quench' theory, etc. Most of my buddies are dead or have dementia...and I'm not even that old!

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! [Re: nutso suave] #2931553
06/09/21 09:46 AM
06/09/21 09:46 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by nutso suave
Yes, recently replaced fram filter. I'm interested to hear why you asked that...experiences?

I like your line of thinking. I am planning on heading up to visit Larry and his wife in the roadrunner after I get the engine figured out and get the new wheels and tires installed. I love the hobby and the cars, shows, burnouts, and the viceral experience of driving an old car. What I really miss is hanging out with my mopar buddies (and chevy and ford buddies too). Cruising in a long line to a destination somewhere, looking for parts at the swap meet, building engines, installing transmissions, learning from these old timers, bench racing, hearing stories from the old days, getting deep into 'quench' theory, etc. Most of my buddies are dead or have dementia...and I'm not even that old!

There is a reason they call the filter aisle at Walmart the Orange Wall of Death. Lol

The filter media has been known to collapse and cause what you are experiencing. Wix is a dependable replacement. NAPA filters are made by Wix.

If you see a Wix and a Fram cut apart side by side, you will have no problem never using a Fram again.

Kevin

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! [Re: Twostick] #2931936
06/10/21 11:42 AM
06/10/21 11:42 AM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline OP
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline OP
I Live Here

delivering your oil
Interesting...I was not aware they had become junk. I will look into this!

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: nutso suave] #2988502
11/23/21 10:39 PM
11/23/21 10:39 PM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline OP
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline OP
I Live Here

delivering your oil
It's been a while since I posted but I figured out the oil pressure issue...and it was strange. We pulled the oil pan at the local repair shop and everything looked okay, we found a little crud in the bottom of the pan. When we removed the intake the lifter and the pushrod were lying in the valley! We replaced the lifter and put it back together and she seems to be running well. Oil pressure is good, while it was apart we checked some of the bearings and they looked okay, no damage.

She just got back from a three day trip to the tire store because they didn't have and couldn't get left handed lug nuts. We ended up getting regular nuts from NAPA and I'm going to get the fancy acorn style and replace them later. The new tires and wheels sure look sharp though. I'm really happy to finally have a functional hot rod (until I break it again).

w1.jpgw2.jpgw3.jpg
Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: nutso suave] #2988562
11/24/21 07:44 AM
11/24/21 07:44 AM
Germany
F
fc7_plumcrazy Offline
master
fc7_plumcrazy  Offline
master
F

Germany
looks good with the wheels

Carsten

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: fc7_plumcrazy] #2988688
11/24/21 04:27 PM
11/24/21 04:27 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
Thanks Nutso for the compliment. Your car is looking sweet. Can’t wait to get mine on the road, hopefully next year. It looks like rockauto still has left hand thread lug nuts.

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: nutso suave] #2988770
11/24/21 07:44 PM
11/24/21 07:44 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
Beautiful runner! I was backing mine out of the garage a few years ago to clean up for a show. Lost oil pressure. Eased it back in the garage. Changed pump. Nothing. Ended up puling the intake, and yup....a slightly bent push rod laying in the valley. Musted been the burnouts the week before. And if it hasn't been done already, first thing I do to my old Mopars is change those left handed studs. Always someone looking to buy them.

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: basketcase] #2989029
11/25/21 02:11 PM
11/25/21 02:11 PM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline OP
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline OP
I Live Here

delivering your oil
Thanks for the kind words! I kind of like the lefties even though they are a pain...and it's probably time to put new ones on.

My car is far from perfect, it already has a few tiny paint imperfections and it is certainly not a concourse level restored car, It's just a pretty nice hot rod! I was driving back from the tire store and it was a relatively nice day for November, a lady in a late model Jetta pulled up and was smiling and waving...I forgot I wasn't in my boring daily driver and for second thought something was wrong... grin I drove a few more miles and a young guy in a mid 2000s mustang pulls up and wants to race...I smiled and he zoomed ahead, only to have me pull up next to him at the stoplight. No street racing but it was fun to be out and about in the old girl. I could tell the kid in the mustang was loving my car and I remember (and still do it today) seeing a cool car and rubbernecking to check it out.

I still have a few little things to sort out.

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: nutso suave] #2989037
11/25/21 02:33 PM
11/25/21 02:33 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
no show car here, but I have done a couple. I even told my painter not to bother buffing it...didn't want it too nice to drive.

Follenesbee.jpg

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: basketcase] #2989386
11/26/21 07:17 PM
11/26/21 07:17 PM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline OP
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline OP
I Live Here

delivering your oil
That's a mean looking machine! I love the green, my first mopar was a green on green 69 Coronet 500.

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: nutso suave] #2989417
11/26/21 08:03 PM
11/26/21 08:03 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Old cars are fun, if you keep them that way. Too many think they need to be perfect, but then are afraid to drive them for fear of chipping the paint. A chip in the paint is a badge of honor for a car that is driven. It proves the car is worthy of being driven. The response of most people on the street is positive. Don't let the fools that want to pick your ride apart bother you, they have probably never had anything close to being as nice as your Road Runner is. Gene

Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: poorboy] #2989533
11/27/21 10:47 AM
11/27/21 10:47 AM
NJ
rdrnr6970 Offline
Your #1 source for current events
rdrnr6970  Offline
Your #1 source for current events

NJ
Nice roadrunner! drive

OWNER OF EVERYTHING FROM 1956 300 B,IMPERIAL,NEW YORKER HEMIS,AND NEW HEMI TRUCKS.....5TH GENRAMS.COM... 1969/70 ROADRUNNERS ,DARTS/CORONETS, NORTHEAST HEMI OWNERS ASSOCIATION.....WWW.PHANTASMCUDAS.COM....MOPAR FAMILY FOR 50 YEARS AND STILL GOING!MOPAR OWNER COAST TO COAST!!!!
Re: Finally have my Roadrunner on the road! UPDATE! [Re: rdrnr6970] #2989809
11/28/21 11:41 AM
11/28/21 11:41 AM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
That green Road Runner is sharp! Nutso yours looks great with the new rims! My very first ride in a muscle car, as a 12 yr. old kid, was in a '69 Road Runner, that an older kid who lived down my street owned.
His was a B5 blue coupe, with a 383 4 speed and black bucket seats. I still remember him power shifting it, as we flew down the road... at the time..I thought we were going 200mph! laugh2

Plymouth Makes It!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3