Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: basketcase] #2986689
11/19/21 10:12 AM
11/19/21 10:12 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by basketcase
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Time to move on with my life, just can't stand another year in Illinoise. The problem is do I move to Tennessee or Florida, I have opportunities in each state... shruggy

Depends on weather you prefer Hurricanes or Tornados.....buddy of mine lives in Florida...it gets so humid there he works on his car at 3am.

Yep, I am a tornado kinda guy, they have small paths and are gone in an instant, grew up in northern Indiana and got knocked down by one the day before my birthday in the mid 70's that killed a couple of people in Monticello, IN. I hate humidity also, that is why I still live up nort. I hear TN can be bad with humidity also, but shorter span.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: 360view] #2986690
11/19/21 10:14 AM
11/19/21 10:14 AM
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by 360view
Move all the parts to a former limestone or underground coal mine in retirement Kentucky, or if you prefer, a cave.
The “Karst Geology” area around Bowling Green/Mammoth Cave National Park is riddled with underground space.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kentucky/underground-places-ky/

Remember what happened at the Corvette museum?

Even if you do not seek out a cave, the cave may come to you.

I heard the hole opened up and swallowed the Vette museum because the plant used to be a Chrysler AirTemp facility before GM bought it and moved manufacturing there, just normal retribution, hit them where it hurts the most! laugh2

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: Rhinodart] #2986698
11/19/21 10:25 AM
11/19/21 10:25 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc
I can feel your pain, my thinking, do like a band aid, just be quick about it, its all just stuff anyway.
Curious about the building, what year was that built? Its got a touch of art deco?
Are new owners going to use it, or tear it down? bawling
With all the Floridians moving to Tenn, I surprised they haven't yet built a wall. grin

1921 it was built to be a Dodge Brothers dealership but never opened as that, don't know much between then and 1944 when it became a DeSoto dealership then Plymouth and Chrysler until 2009 when a certain President decided there was no room to let dealers for Chrysler make money anymore... mad

Wow, maybe we should started a Moparts go fund site to save it, thats a very historic automobile building, especially for this crowd IMO, I hope it gets saved intact, and not a new location for a Wawa?

My recollection of the dealer trimming in the 08 recession is different, I thought its was an underhanded scam by corporate to prop up their favorite dealers, I never understood how it was more profitable for Corporate by reducing number of independent franchises, although it was popular to blame everything on the person in charge at the time.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: jcc] #2986742
11/19/21 12:03 PM
11/19/21 12:03 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc
I can feel your pain, my thinking, do like a band aid, just be quick about it, its all just stuff anyway.
Curious about the building, what year was that built? Its got a touch of art deco?
With all the Floridians moving to Tenn, I surprised they haven't yet built a wall. grin

1921 it was built to be a Dodge Brothers dealership but never opened as that, don't know much between then and 1944 when it became a DeSoto dealership then Plymouth and Chrysler until 2009 when a certain President decided there was no room to let dealers for Chrysler make money anymore... mad

Wow, maybe we should started a Moparts go fund site to save it, thats a very historic automobile building, especially for this crowd IMO, I hope it gets saved intact, and not a new location for a Wawa?

My recollection of the dealer trimming in the 08 recession is different, I thought its was an underhanded scam by corporate to prop up their favorite dealers, I never understood how it was more profitable for Corporate by reducing number of independent franchises, although it was popular to blame everything on the person in charge at the time.

The odd thing is every single franchise closed was Republican owned except one. Corporate had nothing to do with it as I recall, it was Obama's team that made the decisions .

Last edited by 4406bbl; 11/19/21 12:16 PM.
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: 4406bbl] #2986756
11/19/21 12:25 PM
11/19/21 12:25 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Me thimks ole JimBo is secretly a BILLIONAIRE !

Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2987023
11/20/21 12:05 AM
11/20/21 12:05 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by dOc - 3.0 !
Me thimks ole JimBo is secretly a BILLIONAIRE !

It's no secret. He's got a BILLION parts...

Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: Rhinodart] #2987064
11/20/21 06:55 AM
11/20/21 06:55 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA

Yep, I am a tornado kinda guy, they have small paths and are gone in an instant, grew up in northern Indiana and got knocked down by one the day before my birthday in the mid 70's that killed a couple of people in Monticello, IN. I hate humidity also, that is why I still live up nort. I hear TN can be bad with humidity also, but shorter span.

I was in high school at Culver Indiana when the “super outbreak” of tornados occurred.
I was super bored and suggested that all us military cadets go out and help people clean up.
The school had once before sent out students to help during floods.

To my surprise the ex-general head of the school said yes,
cancelled classes,
and us ROTC students loaded up in buses and 2.5 Ton dual fuel military trucks and went up to pile up trash.

Way more memory making then sitting in class.

I have a book about the super outbreak in Kentucky.

Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2987590
11/21/21 05:35 PM
11/21/21 05:35 PM
Buford, GA
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master
I_bleed_MOPAR  Offline
master

Buford, GA
Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Best of luck with the sale & move, Rhino. up
If I was going to move out of Georgia, Tennessee would be the place. As said, Florida is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't even consider living there. shocked

Tim

Hey HAY .... mop on da RAG !

What’s your problemO with Paradise? tsk

Too hot, too humid (although Georgia is a close second some times), too many hurricanes, too many Yankees wink , etc. nervous Take your pick. laugh2
Actually lived in Orlando for 6 mos. back in '69. Dad had gotten a job offer and moved us down there. After 6 mos. we moved back to Georgia as he couldn't make the money down there he made up here. shocked Probably would have been a different story say, 10 yrs. later after Orlando had the big building boom after Disney got going.
I dearly love the N. Ga.-Tennessee-N. Carolina mountains (matter of fact we just got back from a weekend up there). Wifey and I retired to the foothills in N. Ga. back in '12 but moved back to metro Atlanta in '14 when the grandkids started making an appearance. biggrin We were talking how much we missed living up there but didn't think we would move back at our age. blush
Don't take it personal, Doc. We have some good friends in Florida. Just not my kinda place. wave

Tim

'71 Charger 383/727
'17 Challenger SXT (Wifeys car wink )
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR] #2987614
11/21/21 06:45 PM
11/21/21 06:45 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Best of luck with the sale & move, Rhino. up
If I was going to move out of Georgia, Tennessee would be the place. As said, Florida is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't even consider living there. shocked

Tim

Hey HAY .... mop on da RAG !

What’s your problemO with Paradise? tsk

Too hot, too humid (although Georgia is a close second some times), too many hurricanes, too many Yankees wink , etc. nervous Take your pick. laugh2
Actually lived in Orlando for 6 mos. back in '69. Dad had gotten a job offer and moved us down there. After 6 mos. we moved back to Georgia as he couldn't make the money down there he made up here. shocked Probably would have been a different story say, 10 yrs. later after Orlando had the big building boom after Disney got going.
I dearly love the N. Ga.-Tennessee-N. Carolina mountains (matter of fact we just got back from a weekend up there). Wifey and I retired to the foothills in N. Ga. back in '12 but moved back to metro Atlanta in '14 when the grandkids started making an appearance. biggrin We were talking how much we missed living up there but didn't think we would move back at our age. blush
Don't take it personal, Doc. We have some good friends in Florida. Just not my kinda place. wave

Tim

EACH to their own TimBo !

Fur sure Florida can have some brutal humidity.... but so can GA and TN and even MA !

But that weather UP THERE takes A DIVE ....here it gets perfect for SEVEN MONTHS now smoke

Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2987634
11/21/21 08:39 PM
11/21/21 08:39 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
I need to move my 1700 square feet of shop space into my new shop which is almost done. Fraction of yours and I'm shaking in my boots.........

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: 4406bbl] #2987681
11/21/21 11:51 PM
11/21/21 11:51 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc

The odd thing is every single franchise closed was Republican owned except one. Corporate had nothing to do with it as I recall, it was Obama's team that made the decisions .

I seriously doubt that conclusion, unfortunately in today's climate, accuracy is no longer a virtue, and I am not directing that you as so much as maybe your source.
If so, it is IMO highly questionable and likely illegal. Im sticking to my earlier stated suspicion, corporate wanted to favor select dealers with greater market share.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: jcc] #2987703
11/22/21 06:40 AM
11/22/21 06:40 AM
Brantford Ontario
69_SIX_PACK Offline
master
69_SIX_PACK  Offline
master

Brantford Ontario
Sometimes I look at the houses/properties in Tennessee just for fun. Real estate there is much more reasonable than it is where I live. Obviously you'd want to do your homework for quality of life of any area but seems like a great bang for your buck.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/findahomeintennessee/

Good luck with the sale. That sure was a cool building.

Dave

Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: 69_SIX_PACK] #2987876
11/22/21 03:48 PM
11/22/21 03:48 PM
Olympia, Washington
T
tallzag Offline
top fuel
tallzag  Offline
top fuel
T

Olympia, Washington
Don't envy you right now Jim.

The bankruptcy was such a raw deal for so many loyal dealers that had been in business forever. Chrysler used it as an excuse to get rid of a lot of smaller dealers. Most leaned right because they were mostly small town dealers and those areas generally lean that way.

Rocket Restorations
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: 4406bbl] #2987936
11/22/21 05:47 PM
11/22/21 05:47 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc

I personally spoke with several dealers that got the axe and they had a similar suspicions. One has been in business much longer (IIRC '70's ish), owned the property outright and was a more profitable store that two others in his same area of ft lauderdale.

Congratulations Rhinodart and Gods speed in whatever you choose. beer
As far as I'm concerned, Florida is the best choice if you can swing enough $ and many would gladly welcome you here up The high humidity does take some getting used to and is NOT exclusive to Florida by any means. I remember my Napa AutoCare Center shop in the Atlanta area would not only get hotter than any Florida day, sometimes over 100*, it would get just as humid. Some days wouldn't have even a slight breeze whatsoever! Dead still heat and humidity that I felt was prepping me for what hell's reception lobby would feel like. shock
Copper

Last edited by Copper Dart; 11/22/21 06:03 PM.

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: Copper Dart] #2988020
11/22/21 09:06 PM
11/22/21 09:06 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Congrats on your sale. Hopefully the funds will be enough for you to continue your hobby and make the golden years into platinum one.

If you have any questions about large sales and information, feel free to pm me. I have done several large sales, estate sales and auction liquidations in the last few years and can give you some insight on selling, auction house contract, private sales and other such stuff.
And

Re: Looks like I sold my building, the pain is about to begin... [Re: Rhinodart] #2988810
11/24/21 09:49 PM
11/24/21 09:49 PM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida

If you decide to move to Florida, Mid Florida up to North Florida is the place to be. The property and county taxes in South Florida are rediculously high. Lots of car related events and swap meets from mid Florida all the way to North Florida.
Not as much in South Florida. I live in South Florida and looking to make a move up mid to North Florida area in a couple years.

Page 2 of 2 1 2