11/08/21 08:04 PM
11/08/21 08:04 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Thanks to everyone that served in every branch in peace or war ..

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: The 8th of November [Re: bigdad] #2983600
11/09/21 07:23 PM
11/09/21 07:23 PM
Georgia
M
Matt M Offline
super stock
Matt M  Offline
super stock
M

Georgia
Thats a powerful song/
173rd saw a lot of hard combat in Vietnam.

Re: The 8th of November [Re: Matt M] #2983709
11/10/21 02:38 AM
11/10/21 02:38 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I was lucky enough to get to know and become friends with a soldier who had join the Army with his best friend in high school and both volunteer to become a Paratrooper at the beginning of the Vietnam build up,( you had to want to become a paratrooper and volunteer for that training, no one was ever forced into airborne, volunteers only) he was sent to the 173rd Airborne in late 1965 in Vietnam and serve his full year their and then was assign to Fort Ord as a drill sargent (SP?) in the advance training company that I was in, I was held in that company and became a training clerk for 8 months before being sent to Germany in late 1967.
I got to know him casually and later learned that his buddy was killed while on patrol right beside him by friendly fire from another paratrooper using a M79 grenade launcher that ended up hitting his buddy in the face, they were both 18 yrs old at that time. He told me that really tore him up inside for around 45 minutes and then he had to return to duty to finish that patrol.
He was fairly small and skinny so they used him as a tunnel rat a lot when on patrol when they found a tunnel that the enemy was using, that is something I wouldn't wish on any one I know and like. He did it and survived up
The 173rd had the highest wounded and kill rate % in Vietnam from 1965 to 1967 that I knew of whiney
My message is that war was hell on almost every one that serve over their, especially those wounded physically and mentally bow
Probably the worst part of serving over their was returning home and being booed and spit on by the hippy haters and war protesters down

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/10/21 02:42 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: The 8th of November [Re: Cab_Burge] #2983734
11/10/21 08:48 AM
11/10/21 08:48 AM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I was lucky enough to get to know and become friends with a soldier who had join the Army with his best friend in high school and both volunteer to become a Paratrooper at the beginning of the Vietnam build up,( you had to want to become a paratrooper and volunteer for that training, no one was ever forced into airborne, volunteers only) he was sent to the 173rd Airborne in late 1965 in Vietnam and serve his full year their and then was assign to Fort Ord as a drill sargent (SP?) in the advance training company that I was in, I was held in that company and became a training clerk for 8 months before being sent to Germany in late 1967.
I got to know him casually and later learned that his buddy was killed while on patrol right beside him by friendly fire from another paratrooper using a M79 grenade launcher that ended up hitting his buddy in the face, they were both 18 yrs old at that time. He told me that really tore him up inside for around 45 minutes and then he had to return to duty to finish that patrol.
He was fairly small and skinny so they used him as a tunnel rat a lot when on patrol when they found a tunnel that the enemy was using, that is something I wouldn't wish on any one I know and like. He did it and survived up
The 173rd had the highest wounded and kill rate % in Vietnam from 1965 to 1967 that I knew of whiney
My message is that war was hell on almost every one that serve over their, especially those wounded physically and mentally bow
Probably the worst part of serving over their was returning home and being booed and spit on by the hippy haters and war protesters down

Read "Homecoming" By Bob Greene. Greene was a Chicago Sun-Times columnist who asked, "Were any vets coming home from Vietnam REALLY spit on?" in a column. He got over 1000 responses and made them into a book. He plays it straight, with those who DID, those who didn't, and (IIRC) "some things are worse than being spit on." I read it when I was deployed for Desert Shield/Desert Storm, so it really hit hard for me...

Re: The 8th of November [Re: bigdad] #2983833
11/10/21 02:15 PM
11/10/21 02:15 PM
New Castle, Indiana
H
held1823 Offline
mopar
held1823  Offline
mopar
H

New Castle, Indiana
the story behind the song/video is well worth the time