11/08/21 08:23 PM
11/08/21 08:23 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I was down there, Saturday was cold and windy, but I bought a lot of parts. Sunday was nice, 70 and sunny! Half the cars and vendors were there from last year though. Will be back to the horse crap show next weekend... laugh2

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: BIG DADDY DON GARLITS [Re: poorboy] #2983205
11/08/21 08:27 PM
11/08/21 08:27 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Copper Dart

So nobody ponders an Mopar attendees low turn out "revolt" here?

Garlits show is for money, the following weeks show is for passion, but I might wrong.

I know based on above which one I would support, under these circumstances.

I'm interested at how you came to that understanding? workI have always wondered what was the real sticking point that ruined such a great annual MOPAR event.
Copper
PS True that Friday setup was very rainy and cold, Saturday morning wasn't much better but by mid day Saturday things improved. Sunday couldn't have been better weather wise. We saw some incredible cars! Met too many failure to launch types in the swap meet area, we guess money's tight even at the dollar store section lol.

Well based on my observations of the players, and from attending both shows for multiple years when they were NOT back to back:
1. Don never let a chance escape to make a buck
2. He seemed to market his name and well earned racer reputation as his biggest asset
3. There was no real given reason why the show originally left the Garlits site, which suggests money/contractual issues
4. There were no obvious shortcomings, and actually some pluses at the new horse grounds site
5. Garlits likely generates revenue at his location year round, with COVID and the Mopar show relocating, having his own show would be a way to boost that missing revenue
6. Any reasonable businessman would have attempted to have the show return to the Gralits site, but that obviously did not happen, and one reason I did not previously mention that might be at play in that, egos.

None of the above is proveable, but the "dots" I see lead to a lot of credence.

Any given reasons shared at this point for this multiple competing shows, are likely just typical damage control and revisionist history tactics, IMO

OR it could have just been the crappy weather was to blame for the low turnout.
Lots of car show guys wouldn't take their pride and joy out if it looks like it might rain, the big money Mopar car owners are not any different. Wetness means hours of detailing at the show, then hours more back at home.

The car show and museum are probably the only source of income Big Daddy has, can't really blame the guy for wanting to be able to eat and pay utilities.
As for why the other guys left Garlit's place, guess you will have to ask them. Maybe they thought they would make more money away from Big Daddy's place, or it could have been as simple as a scheduling issue or concerns about covid crowd restrictions. [/quote]

Real Florida Man types would not even think about coming out of their dens when the temp is below 70, THAT is a FACT! I saw many peoples down there with parka's zipped up to make them look like Kenny was about ready to be killed again... Santa4

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: BIG DADDY DON GARLITS [Re: Rhinodart] #2983337
11/09/21 08:47 AM
11/09/21 08:47 AM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline OP
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline OP
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
"with parka's zipped up to make them look like Kenny was about ready to be killed again... Santa4"
haha
Thats funny (and true too) laugh
Copper

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: BIG DADDY DON GARLITS [Re: Rhinodart] #2983373
11/09/21 11:19 AM
11/09/21 11:19 AM
central Florida
VL21 Offline
pro stock
VL21  Offline
pro stock

central Florida
[

Real Florida Man types would not even think about coming out of their dens when the temp is below 70, THAT is a FACT! I saw many peoples down there with parka's zipped up to make them look like Kenny was about ready to be killed again... Santa4 [/quote]

This was the case for me, I barely ventured outside all day Saturday.

And I can understand the high dollar, show cars not wanting to unload in the weather we had, they likely spent considerable time fine tuning the details before coming south, prepping for the next several weeks of shows in this general area, I get that.

None of my stuff is nice enough (or done) that I would even consider trying to compete in a show. I am more of an out in the parking lot guy. I like to look around at the driver/in process stuff.

This week I will be at the horse show looking at the trailer queens, tho.

Oh, and I don't mind Don trying to make a buck, his property taxes and upkeep on his place aren't free, and at his age there isn't a whole of race winnings coming in ... no one is twisting my arm to go to the museum (worth the money, btw, to anyone who grew up looking at Hot Rod magazine and dreaming about the car life in far away places while snowed in, in Vermont) and IIRC the parking money went to Boy scouts or something and no admission fee to the show for clowns like me

Last edited by VL21; 11/09/21 11:28 AM.

It takes gasoline to interest me.
Re: BIG DADDY DON GARLITS [Re: VL21] #2983649
11/09/21 10:14 PM
11/09/21 10:14 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by VL21
[

Real Florida Man types would not even think about coming out of their dens when the temp is below 70, THAT is a FACT! I saw many peoples down there with parka's zipped up to make them look like Kenny was about ready to be killed again... Santa4

This was the case for me, I barely ventured outside all day Saturday.

And I can understand the high dollar, show cars not wanting to unload in the weather we had, they likely spent considerable time fine tuning the details before coming south, prepping for the next several weeks of shows in this general area, I get that.

None of my stuff is nice enough (or done) that I would even consider trying to compete in a show. I am more of an out in the parking lot guy. I like to look around at the driver/in process stuff.

This week I will be at the horse show looking at the trailer queens, tho.

Oh, and I don't mind Don trying to make a buck, his property taxes and upkeep on his place aren't free, and at his age there isn't a whole of race winnings coming in ... no one is twisting my arm to go to the museum (worth the money, btw, to anyone who grew up looking at Hot Rod magazine and dreaming about the car life in far away places while snowed in, in Vermont) and IIRC the parking money went to Boy scouts or something and no admission fee to the show for clowns like me [/quote]

There was no implied question that everyone is allowed to make a buck, BUT, when you build a show over years, and then either run it off because you ain't getting enough, and that show moves nearby and is NOT into to make a buck above all else, and becomes successful on its own, and then because of hard times, one tries to compete with the other show, and that's likely because of not willing to swallow ones pride and reset their ego. My sympathy for Don ended when he allowed the show to move, he knew then he had yearly overhead.

But that's OK, it all about making a dollar for some, and just a hobby to enjoy for others, like I said.

Or we can just blame the weather. grin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: BIG DADDY DON GARLITS [Re: jcc] #2983764
11/10/21 10:44 AM
11/10/21 10:44 AM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
I thought the show had to move due to space. The lot between him and CB sold (where swap meet was) and they couldn’t use it anymore plus one of the nearby farms sold and really limited the available space.

Page 2 of 2 1 2