Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I am hoping for some input with a dilemma I have. I live on an acreage with a LONG driveway but that's not the problem. I have a nice Kubota for that.
The problem is my wife insists on doing the sidewalks (front & back) patio and other areas the tractor is to big for. I bought a small 21" toro snow blower and she did not like it a bit. Said it was easier to use the shovel for various reasons. After X discussions argue I said OK and sold it. She is a bit over 60 and I don't like her using the shovel for a number of reasons
I believe her primary issues were: )
A) The particular one we had required one to stop, walk around the side to rotate the chute.
B) It was not self propelled but the rubber flaps on the auger did assist when the auger was engaged. To get a self propelled unit they get much bigger and heavier.
C) Which way to blow the snow was bit of an irritant ?
D) it was gas powered and she didn't like having to start it etc. I think that's BS as it always started on the first pull. Also could plug it in to start.
I've looked at the electric "snow shovels" but not sure how well they work. Also not sure if the battery powered versions would do the job without 2-4 batteries.
Maybe I'm beating my head against a wall but wondering if any of you have encountered something similar and were able to come up with a solution? Even Input on your experiences with the shovels/ blowers etc. would be helpful keeping in mind something small, easy to maneuver and hopefully light
beer

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: TJP] #2980877
11/02/21 12:16 PM
11/02/21 12:16 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Those "electric shovels" are basically tiny single-stage throwers mounted on a stick.

Tiny versions of your 21" Toro.

They are generally gutless and anything more than a couple inches or anything wet and slushy bogs them down.

My recommendation based on what she wants is to pay one of the neighborhood kids to do it. Doesn't get any lighter than that.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: TJP] #2980880
11/02/21 12:23 PM
11/02/21 12:23 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
No easy answer other than buy a good (bigger) 2-stage and YOU use it to clear the sidewalks. The 2-stage models have all of the things you or your wife would like even heated grips or handles and headlight for night clearing. Almost all of them have 120v electric start and I think there are some that even have (lithium) 12v battery starters too? To get what you need or want the unit is going to get a litter bigger and a little more work to use but then again being self propelled, remote adjust chute (left/right/up/down) electric start, heated grips, night and safety lighting, etc., may outweigh all of that when it's below 0 and there's a foot of snow covering your walkways in the dark and you would like to clear them to get somewhere the next morning. twocents

Mike

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: wingman] #2980895
11/02/21 01:07 PM
11/02/21 01:07 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Online content
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Online Content
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Being Doc Fibers New Neighbor might fix this

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: TJP] #2980910
11/02/21 01:34 PM
11/02/21 01:34 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
What a buddy did to avoid shoveling sidewalks was to have radiant heat installed in his sidewalk in front of his house.
His sidewalk is about 8 feet wide and 30 feet long.

It would cost more up front, but you'd never have to shovel snow again.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: bigdad] #2980955
11/02/21 03:37 PM
11/02/21 03:37 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Here people with decent sized property typically have a snow blade attachment they put on their ATV's.

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: wingman] #2981000
11/02/21 06:48 PM
11/02/21 06:48 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by wingman
Those "electric shovels" are basically tiny single-stage throwers mounted on a stick.

Tiny versions of your 21" Toro.

They are generally gutless and anything more than a couple inches or anything wet and slushy bogs them down.

My recommendation based on what she wants is to pay one of the neighborhood kids to do it. Doesn't get any lighter than that.

thanks for the input on the "electric shovels" Kind of what I thought.
As far as finding a kid that want to earn money by working for it, That would be great if there was such a thing. Seems to be a thing of the past whistling The kid would probably tell me there's an "app" for that LOL
Even my sister who lives in a normal tract house neighborhood can't find one. frown

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: Neil] #2981005
11/02/21 06:53 PM
11/02/21 06:53 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
maybe slightly upgrade your small single stage blower to a smaller 5hp 2 stage blower with electric start and a 24" cut would work perfect on sidewalks.

12 years ago when i bought my house i was given a 5hp 24" cut snapper snow blower that didn't run. after a $20 new carb it worked great but couldn't blow wet snow that far. i used it for a couple of years but wished for a bigger one. at the 3rd year at my house i was helping a friend move and he had a 10hp with 30" cut craftsman snow blower that ran great but wouldn't push very good so he gave that 2 me. after a new friction wheel and belts it works like new now. i kept the smaller for a few years just for the sidewalks. it got to be a hassle using 2 blowers so i only used the larger one on the sidewalks and tore up the grass a bit and sold the smaller one.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: 340SIX] #2981008
11/02/21 06:55 PM
11/02/21 06:55 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by 340SIX
Being Doc Fibers New Neighbor might fix this

Moving to New Orleans on a breezy day with a few waves OVER the floodwalls will take care of that pesky COLD WHITE STUFF directly up

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: A12] #2981009
11/02/21 06:57 PM
11/02/21 06:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by A12
No easy answer other than buy a good (bigger) 2-stage and YOU use it to clear the sidewalks. The 2-stage models have all of the things you or your wife would like even heated grips or handles and headlight for night clearing. Almost all of them have 120v electric start and I think there are some that even have (lithium) 12v battery starters too? To get what you need or want the unit is going to get a litter bigger and a little more work to use but then again being self propelled, remote adjust chute (left/right/up/down) electric start, heated grips, night and safety lighting, etc., may outweigh all of that when it's below 0 and there's a foot of snow covering your walkways in the dark and you would like to clear them to get somewhere the next morning. twocents

Mike

that's been discussed both a bigger unit and my doing it, NADA , Not gonna happen runaway unless I try doing them first. Then she'll likely be on the tractor trying to do the other areas frown

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: Neil] #2981015
11/02/21 07:02 PM
11/02/21 07:02 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
So, if your wife is anything like my wife, when your out doing the driveway with the tractor, she thinks she should be doing something as well. We have an 88' driveway that is 19' wide. I use a snow blower to clear the driveway. My wife insists she is going to shovel the sidewalks. We have a lot of sidewalk, a double wide lot means the crosswalk is nearly 60' long plus the 25' from the street to the house. The 10' closest to the house of the 20' from the crosswalk to the house is a pita to do with the blower. I will make a couple passes on the driveway then do the cross walk, the part to the street, and the first 10' towards the house before I return to the driveway and finish it. By the time I'm done with the drive, she has the sidewalks done and is putting down salt if needed. She feels better, and frankly, I'll accept her help. She is 67.

There is no way I could get her to operate any kind of snow blower when she does the sidewalk. I'd have to start it for her, and the first time the blower blew the snow back at her face, she would be done with it. If you are concerned about her health doing the shoveling, maybe you should invest in a good snow blower, do your sidewalks before you do the driveway, and have her clean up the stuff the blower misses, or can't get very easily, with the shovel. Snow blowers always miss some stuff. The trick may be finding the point where you feel comfortable sharing the snow removal with her, expecting her to not do any wouldn't work at my house.

When we first moved here, I cleared the driveway with a plow truck. Unless the snow is near a foot deep, or really heavy wet, the snow blower does the job faster then the plow could, and I don't have to shovel the sidewalk like I did with only the plow truck. Gene

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: Neil] #2981017
11/02/21 07:06 PM
11/02/21 07:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Neil
Here people with decent sized property typically have a snow blade attachment they put on their ATV's.

I've got a 32HP Kubota with a loader, blade & blower but it's too big for the areas she's doing. need something just for sidewalks ,patio. & an L Shaped area just in front of the garages. I can get the rest with the Kubota.
Thought about a blade for the riding mower but even they're 48" wide frown

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: TJP] #2981027
11/02/21 07:15 PM
11/02/21 07:15 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
tBlooper should chime in ... he’s already snowed in NOW !

Hopefully you catch him when he isn’t grumpy!

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: poorboy] #2981029
11/02/21 07:16 PM
11/02/21 07:16 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by poorboy
So, if your wife is anything like my wife, when your out doing the driveway with the tractor, she thinks she should be doing something as well. We have an 88' driveway that is 19' wide. I use a snow blower to clear the driveway. My wife insists she is going to shovel the sidewalks. We have a lot of sidewalk, a double wide lot means the crosswalk is nearly 60' long plus the 25' from the street to the house. The 10' closest to the house of the 20' from the crosswalk to the house is a pita to do with the blower. I will make a couple passes on the driveway then do the cross walk, the part to the street, and the first 10' towards the house before I return to the driveway and finish it. By the time I'm done with the drive, she has the sidewalks done and is putting down salt if needed. She feels better, and frankly, I'll accept her help. She is 67.

There is no way I could get her to operate any kind of snow blower when she does the sidewalk. I'd have to start it for her, and the first time the blower blew the snow back at her face, she would be done with it. If you are concerned about her health doing the shoveling, maybe you should invest in a good snow blower, do your sidewalks before you do the driveway, and have her clean up the stuff the blower misses, or can't get very easily, with the shovel. Snow blowers always miss some stuff. The trick may be finding the point where you feel comfortable sharing the snow removal with her, expecting her to not do any wouldn't work at my house.

When we first moved here, I cleared the driveway with a plow truck. Unless the snow is near a foot deep, or really heavy wet, the snow blower does the job faster then the plow could, and I don't have to shovel the sidewalk like I did with only the plow truck. Gene

Sounds like a very similar situation, I was just taught a woman should not have to do that type of work. While I appreciate the fact she does I'm trying to find something that will be easier for her than shoveling the cr-p. wink

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: Mr T2U] #2981037
11/02/21 07:29 PM
11/02/21 07:29 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
maybe slightly upgrade your small single stage blower to a smaller 5hp 2 stage blower with electric start and a 24" cut would work perfect on sidewalks. .

I might have to look into something like that. But I'm thinking it might be a bit too big shruggy and she'll go for the shovel. The bad thing is you can't really "test drive" them. And by the time the first snow hits the stores are empty. Might already be with the "SHORTages". Not to mention around here the first snow could be tonite, or after the 1st of the year.
I keep thinking Why hasn't somebody made a smaller size unit just for sidewalks etc. that doesn't weigh 300Llbs.?
I also want to thank everyone for their replies and keep them coming beer

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: TJP] #2981049
11/02/21 07:52 PM
11/02/21 07:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
My snow blower is a 5hp stage 2 with electric start (I pull the rope, 1 pull and it runs) 24" wide cut, That blower will blow dry snow 30' and wet snow 10'. Has the light, with a hand control chute direction changer and a lever yo determing the height it will blow the snow. I bought mine at the end of 2019 season on clearance.

I too thought women shouldn't have to shovel snow, or assist with yard work, but I soon learned my little wife that has born 2 children and worked as a nurse for many years certainly doesn't want to be considered as a pampered queen. I also learned that she really wasn't the person to handle mechanical things that were much more complex to operate then driving her car. I don't have her mow the lawn (she would never comprehend the zero turn mower) nor will I expect her to run the snow blower. She does shovel the walks, and run the weed eater/sidewalk edger (its battery powered), and she takes care of the flower bed. She even insists to do the power washing of the house. She gets pretty upset if I try to help her clean up (I do pick up my stuff) anything in the house as well.
I've learned to let her do the stuff she wants to do, but I work at making those things as easy as possible for her. Its worked pretty well for 45 years. Gene

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: poorboy] #2981089
11/02/21 08:57 PM
11/02/21 08:57 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
I noticed a couple of Ryobi snow blowers at HD that use the same 40V batteries as my trimmer and blower. I'm considering grabbing the wider one to use on my poly deck and keep in the back of the plow truck for the walks on the 3 family houses that I plow. should be a lot lighter than the Toro 2-cycle single stage I've been using. I really want to see how long it'll run on a battery...

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: poorboy] #2981096
11/02/21 09:04 PM
11/02/21 09:04 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by poorboy
She gets pretty upset if I try to help her clean up (I do pick up my stuff) anything in the house as well.
I've learned to let her do the stuff she wants to do, but I work at making those things as easy as possible for her. Its worked pretty well for 45 years. Gene

The bolded part is exactly what I'm trying to do beer And 40+ years here wink

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2981097
11/02/21 09:08 PM
11/02/21 09:08 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
I noticed a couple of Ryobi snow blowers at HD that use the same 40V batteries as my trimmer and blower. I'm considering grabbing the wider one to use on my poly deck and keep in the back of the plow truck for the walks on the 3 family houses that I plow. should be a lot lighter than the Toro 2-cycle single stage I've been using. I really want to see how long it'll run on a battery...

From what I've read on run time on some, and the amount of time required here I might need 2-4 batteries. Of course that's likely to vary depending on the snow type & amount up

Re: Snow blower, Powered Snow shovel? Any help? [Re: TJP] #2981120
11/02/21 09:59 PM
11/02/21 09:59 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
I've had this Cub Cadet "track drive" snow thrower for coming up on 30 years come this February '22 and if I had read this thread I probably may have never purchased a 2-stage snow thrower because of all of the negatives I've read so far...............................one of the best investments I have made for home property care ever. My wife has used it many, many times and so has my son since he was 12 years old. A short walk to the garage or lately to the pole barn, plug it in or just pull the starter cord and drive it out. Clear the driveway and sidewalks and drive it back, brew some coffee or hot chocolate and sit back a relax. No worries regardless of the depth of snow in the forecast if you have enough power or capability to clear what ever mother nature wants to "throw" at you......you can "throw" it back right at her tonguue snowblow I didn't skimp on the lawn tractor either even after "someone" asked why I got such a big one wink grin .....................yeah "that's what she said" grin

20210202.jpg
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3