Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone powercoat their dash frame and grille header [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #298083
04/28/09 08:34 AM
04/28/09 08:34 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Usually getting things powdercoated will cost less than getting them painted,there is no need to sand,grind and wire the rust off,all parts are blasted and special etch-primed prior powdercoating,also it's alot more durable than any paint

You can't powder coat filler and if the surface has any defects, it will show. Also, I believe it generally will be thicker than painted? Any fine details like stamped in date codes will not be sharp.

I would just go with paint and be done with it. DIA 9388 is the exact black for many cars, but I'm not sure about 68s What number does the body service manuel call for?

Last edited by Challenger 1; 04/28/09 11:49 AM.
Re: Anyone powercoat their dash frame and grille header [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #298084
04/28/09 10:00 AM
04/28/09 10:00 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
You can't powder coat filler

Actually you can, if it can withstand the 300 degree bake out,( high temp "Lab Metal" filler).......most powder shops are still using 20+ year old equipment, so they're limited to what they can do.....but there are now new "wetting" agents that are sprayed on prior to powdercoating that can conduct the positive charge for the powder to "flock" to, so anything in the past that couldn't conduct contenuity, can now be powdercoated, but the item coated, must still be able to survive a 300+ degree bake/flow out.......and with custom masking agents and tapes, custom patterns are just and imagination away as to what can be done, some of the more updated shops can even powdercoat automotive glass, the techniques and powder medias have become as common as any specialized paint finish out there,......there's actually hundreds of colors, textures, metalics, marblizers, wrinkles, etc, etc, etc and assorted techniques available, just a matter of finding the shop capable of performing what you need

Page 2 of 2 1 2