C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I agree on using a racing seat and harness if you have a roll bar/cage. Anything lees than that (stock seats and lap belts bar or no bar) and you are at the mercy of a higher power in the case of an accident. The crash tests from the 60-60s era were brutal. One of the reasons I like beating on my cars at the track. Chances of a hard, head on front end collision are much lower with no telephone poles etc. At that point you end up abiding by the rules of where you race and add safety precautions for the street use.

A few things also come into play with design of the cage too. You don't want to be under the hoop. I have seen taller guys do this when laying the seat back or using a factory bench. It is acheived with a kicked out horizonal bar in the hoop instead of running it straight across so it does it's job. Bad place to be without a helmet, padding or not.

The other problem I see with the factory flip up seats of 67 and back is that they do not lock in position. Then you see the harness bolted to the floor behind the seat just right so in an accident the seat will fold you up as both it and you torso get intiment eith the dash. My 66 b bodies both have race seats because of this.

The rules say the hoop must be higher than you helmet so definitely check that as you put it together. For sure use swing out bars unless you are really throwing the world at it lol. I also like forward bars in our unibody mopars. Cab turned me on to the idea of running them outside of the fender apron. Way easier to work on the car with the bars out of the way.

What I did

A861AEE3-8D48-42D9-937E-B95CCB051C90.jpeg
Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: cudaman1969] #2977764
10/24/21 12:13 AM
10/24/21 12:13 AM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
I agree on using a racing seat and harness if you have a roll bar/cage. Anything lees than that (stock seats and lap belts bar or no bar) and you are at the mercy of a higher power in the case of an accident. The crash tests from the 60-60s era were brutal. One of the reasons I like beating on my cars at the track. Chances of a hard, head on front end collision are much lower with no telephone poles etc. At that point you end up abiding by the rules of where you race and add safety precautions for the street use.

A few things also come into play with design of the cage too. You don't want to be under the hoop. I have seen taller guys do this when laying the seat back or using a factory bench. It is acheived with a kicked out horizonal bar in the hoop instead of running it straight across so it does it's job. Bad place to be without a helmet, padding or not.

The other problem I see with the factory flip up seats of 67 and back is that they do not lock in position. Then you see the harness bolted to the floor behind the seat just right so in an accident the seat will fold you up as both it and you torso get intiment eith the dash. My 66 b bodies both have race seats because of this.

The rules say the hoop must be higher than you helmet so definitely check that as you put it together. For sure use swing out bars unless you are really throwing the world at it lol. I also like forward bars in our unibody mopars. Cab turned me on to the idea of running them outside of the fender apron. Way easier to work on the car with the bars out of the way.

What I did

Awesome!

Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: GY3] #2977825
10/24/21 10:51 AM
10/24/21 10:51 AM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Originally Posted by GY3
My CJ5 doesn't have padding. It is from 1980, though, long before everyone thought they had to have all the safety features in their driving appliances.

Sweet CJ5! Still AMC powered?

I've had a CJ7 and 3 Postal Jeeps, one with a 350 Chevy in it. I've rolled one of the Postal Jeeps at low speed in a parking lot. FYI, don't try to do donuts with them. lol

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: Blusmbl] #2977827
10/24/21 10:57 AM
10/24/21 10:57 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by Blusmbl
Originally Posted by GY3
My CJ5 doesn't have padding. It is from 1980, though, long before everyone thought they had to have all the safety features in their driving appliances.

Sweet CJ5! Still AMC powered?

I've had a CJ7 and 3 Postal Jeeps, one with a 350 Chevy in it. I've rolled one of the Postal Jeeps at low speed in a parking lot. FYI, don't try to do donuts with them. lol

Yep, unfortunately it is a 4 cylinder. It has sat in my 3rd garage bay for the last couple of years and I finally decided to rebuild the carb and do some maintenance. I bought it as a fix and flip but it's growing on me.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: cudaman1969] #2977882
10/24/21 02:16 PM
10/24/21 02:16 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA

What I did

Easy fix is lay the hoop back. I do it on every one. Match or nearly match the angle of the seat back. The cross bar can be bent, but if you do, it has to go to 1.625" tubing.

In these old cars, tall guys almost touch their head on the headliner as it is. You can get the bar tight on the roof and still have an issue. Next step is aftermarket seat and seat brackets. I've had to make seat mounts to get a person down in the car far enough to be safe. Works fine, plus takes a bunch of weight out. Jaz seats and fabricated mount vs. stock mounts and buckets took 80# out of last one I did. Put them right on the original seat mount studs.

IMG_E5448[1].JPGIMG_E5449[1].JPG
Last edited by CMcAllister; 10/24/21 02:26 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: CMcAllister] #2977899
10/24/21 03:56 PM
10/24/21 03:56 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I put a race seat in my Duster and moved it back and down as far as possible so I could fit in the car comfortably. The driving position was fine but it was a little hard to get out of the car. The big problem with moving the seat down in the Duster was that it killed the rear visibility. I was thinking about putting a back up camera in the car but didn't get around to it before I sold the car. Changes like a roll bar, cage, race seats, etc. all have ripple effects and until a person has driven a car with those changes they should be a little cautious about about it.

Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: CMcAllister] #2977920
10/24/21 04:51 PM
10/24/21 04:51 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

What I did

Easy fix is lay the hoop back. I do it on every one. Match or nearly match the angle of the seat back. The cross bar can be bent, but if you do, it has to go to 1.625" tubing.

In these old cars, tall guys almost touch their head on the headliner as it is. You can get the bar tight on the roof and still have an issue. Next step is aftermarket seat and seat brackets. I've had to make seat mounts to get a person down in the car far enough to be safe. Works fine, plus takes a bunch of weight out. Jaz seats and fabricated mount vs. stock mounts and buckets took 80# out of last one I did. Put them right on the original seat mount studs.

With my Kirkeys my butt is almost on the floor, 1” or 2” at the max. Still see out the front ok. Of course my seat brackets aren’t as nice as those by a long shot.

Last edited by cudaman1969; 10/24/21 04:54 PM.
Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: cudaman1969] #2977924
10/24/21 05:32 PM
10/24/21 05:32 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
When I did the bar in my Dart I tucked the hoop right up against the headliner. The hoop angle follows the angle of the door/rear side glass joint. It too has Kirkey seats, I made aluminum brackets to work with sliders. Once I located the position I liked a bracket was fabbed to attach the seat back to the cross bar. With the factory shoulder/lap belt I don’t see how I could get in a position to bang my head on any of the bars and with the harness on I can’t see it at all.

Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: gregcharger72] #2977956
10/24/21 07:16 PM
10/24/21 07:16 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
For those thinking about stiffening or modifying a cage, the most important factors are:
1. Tube diameter (not material, or wall thickness). Even adding 1/4" has a huge effect, far more than a direct comparison of new vs. old. Example, other variable removed: replacing a 1-3/4" tube with 2" (only 1/8" less space around it, and 1/8" closer to the interior), which looks like +14.3%, instead adds 53% to the bending resistance (and only 15% to the weight).
2. The longest unsupported tube length (between points of attachment with no intersections). Length is the enemy of stiffness, a 4' tube divided into 2 each 2' tubes (make triangles) is a 700% improvement. Even attaching a strut close to one end (making 1 piece 1' and the other 3') adds 137%.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: polyspheric] #2978051
10/24/21 11:14 PM
10/24/21 11:14 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
A pet peeve of mine, is when using dual front aftermarket racing seats, is installing them effectively inline, unless I am competitively rally racing, the last thing I want in my normal field of view is a passenger bug eyed, additionally, I want their butt, weight wise as far back and as low as possible. If they buy the car, they can get driver seat. Track cars often require dual seats for check out driver/instructor.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: roll bar in a street car? [Re: CMcAllister] #2978236
10/25/21 02:03 PM
10/25/21 02:03 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
CM, in the seat mount photo, what size is the tubing ? as for an adjuster, i was contemplating using one from a minivan. they are light, low, and have a simple lift bar in the front for adjusting. the passenger seat will be a permanent/non-adjustable mount as far back as possible, with the back attached to the crossbar, which is straight.
my only concern is the back brace for the driver's seat back will need to be [slightly] adjustable as well.
any ideas or suggestions ?
TIA as always ! bow
beer

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5