10/04/21 10:24 PM
10/04/21 10:24 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I've got a set of the 0 arch MP oval track springs. The inner bushing sleeve sticks out past the rubber on both sides slightly. When the spring eye bolt is tightened, the inner sleeve is locked in place but the rubber isn't compressed at all. This isn't how the stock springs/bushings were. With the stock springs, the inner sleeve must be a little shorter then the rubber because when you tighten the bolt down, the rubber toughes the sides of the hanger and gets compressed.

Is this an issue? Should I machine down the inner sleeves so they are at least the same width as the rubber or slightly shorter?

Edit: Inner bushing sleeve length 3.110"
Out to out of rubber bushing 3.035"

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2970850
10/05/21 11:36 AM
10/05/21 11:36 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Rubber is not compressed. The bushing should have an outer shell and inner sleeve which are impregnated together when it is made. The bushing outer shell is pressed into the spring eye. The bolt then squeezes both sides of the mounting bracket against the inner sleeve.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: NITROUSN] #2970854
10/05/21 11:50 AM
10/05/21 11:50 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
The rubber sticks out past the outer sleeve but the inner sleeve sticks out farther than the rubber. On the stock springs the bushing rubber touches the sides of the hanger and is slightly compressed when the bolt is tightened. On this new set of springs, when the bolt is tightened, the rubber won't even touch the sides of the hanger. Just want to make sure this is OK since it's different then the stock setup.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2970922
10/05/21 01:15 PM
10/05/21 01:15 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Post pictures.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: NITROUSN] #2971112
10/05/21 07:45 PM
10/05/21 07:45 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
You can see that the inner sleeve on the new bushing is longer then the rubber. When you tighten the bolt, you are left with a gap between the hanger and the bushing rubber. The inner sleeve is held tight though. On the original bushing, the rubber touches the hanger and is compressed when the bolt is tightened. I'm not sure that this is an issue. Just wanted to hear from others.

DSC04675.JPGDSC04677.JPG
Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2971151
10/05/21 09:31 PM
10/05/21 09:31 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Even on the original there was a sleeve . The rubber touching the sides of the brackets is irrelevant and had no function. As long as the bushing it tight in the eye and the inner bushing is squeezed tight within the mount you are fine.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2971346
10/06/21 02:26 PM
10/06/21 02:26 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
The bushing is only for the leaf spring twisting action. The sleeve can touch the hangers... no problems or concerns.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2971572
10/06/21 10:33 PM
10/06/21 10:33 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
OK, with that out of the way, next question.

I'm using Dr Diff offset hangers and shackles on this Dart. The bolt head for the front spring eye is tapered and accepts an allen wrench to hold it while the nut is being tightened. The bolt head ends up right next to the frame rail so the only way to tighten up the bolt is with the springs OFF the car.(no way to get an allen wrench on it with the front hanger installed on the car) On my Challenger, I waited until the weight of the car was on the springs before tightening the front spring eye and shackles. I hope it's not that critical for the front spring eye that the car be on the suspension before tightening.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2972011
10/08/21 11:39 AM
10/08/21 11:39 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
a small hole drilled through both rail sides will allow the allen key to pass through. cut the short leg off using a wizz wheel or chop saw. a regular hack saw won't get it, as those keys are hard material unless they are made of chinesium. then use a standard socket the size of the key to tighten the bolt at ride height.
beer

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: moparx] #2972028
10/08/21 12:22 PM
10/08/21 12:22 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Thanks. I thought about that. The only issue with that is the front hanger has two spring eye bolt mounting positions.(upper and lower hole) I'm not sure which hole will give me the stance I want yet. It would take two holes all the way through the frame in order to get the wrench on both positions.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2972073
10/08/21 02:22 PM
10/08/21 02:22 PM
North Seattle, Washington. USA
U code RR Offline
U code RR  Offline

North Seattle, Washington. USA
Don't tighten the bolt until you check your ride height and made your final choice.

When seconds count... The Police are only minutes away. Smith and Wesson are your friends.
Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: NITROUSN] #2972169
10/08/21 06:53 PM
10/08/21 06:53 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Even on the original there was a sleeve . The rubber touching the sides of the brackets is irrelevant and had no function. As long as the bushing it tight in the eye and the inner bushing is squeezed tight within the mount you are fine.

IMO regarding your last two comments, you are making two contradictory statements, the last one being mostly the correct one, just to be clear for others.
All to mean, the leaf should not contact the mounting bracket, tightly squeezed rubber bushing prevents that contact in all but the most brutal impacts.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: jcc] #2974151
10/13/21 10:17 PM
10/13/21 10:17 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by jcc

IMO regarding your last two comments, you are making two contradictory statements, the last one being mostly the correct one, just to be clear for others.
All to mean, the leaf should not contact the mounting bracket, tightly squeezed rubber bushing prevents that contact in all but the most brutal impacts.

No I am not. Look at his pictures. He has a new style bushing that does not have the excess side rubber like the factory one. He was worried about not having the excess side rubber thinking it was a problem. Please do not start your BS with me.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: NITROUSN] #2974781
10/15/21 09:38 PM
10/15/21 09:38 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I have always been under the impression that a conventional sleeved rubber bushing (steel inner sleeve/outer sleeve) the sleeves were held stationary and undistorted with the car at ride height. When the suspension moves, the rubber distorts to allow movement but the two sleeves are stationary. At east that is the impression I have always been under. shruggy

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: NITROUSN] #2974788
10/15/21 09:45 PM
10/15/21 09:45 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

Originally Posted by jcc

No I am not. Look at his pictures. He has a new style bushing that does not have the excess side rubber like the factory one. He was worried about not having the excess side rubber thinking it was a problem. Please do not start your BS with me.

Speaking of BS, you never explained why his "thinking it was a problem" is not a problem. I wonder why? laugh2

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: jcc] #2974808
10/15/21 10:40 PM
10/15/21 10:40 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
My thougth was that since there is a 1/16" gap between the rubber and the hanger on each side... That if cornering hard, the rubber could flex and the spring eye could move from side to side. If the rubber was touching the sides, there could still be side to side movement in the spring eye but it would be greatly reduced. It sound like this movement isn't enough to worry about. I had thought about adding a thin stainless washer on each side of the spring eye to take up the gap. The center hole in the washers would be large enough that the center sleeve would pass through them and still clamp tight to the hanger. Probably just over thinking it.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2974810
10/15/21 10:44 PM
10/15/21 10:44 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I have always been under the impression that a conventional sleeved rubber bushing (steel inner sleeve/outer sleeve) the sleeves were held stationary and undistorted with the car at ride height. When the suspension moves, the rubber distorts to allow movement but the two sleeves are stationary. At east that is the impression I have always been under. shruggy

That was my thought as well. That's why I wondered about how to tighten the front spring eye bolts when they can't be accessed with the springs mounted. Worst case scenario is I install the springs with the eye bolt loose. Once ride height it established, mark the location of the spring and front hanger so I have a reference point to hold them at while I tighten the bolt off the car.

Re: front spring eye bushing inner sleeve length [Re: burdar] #2974916
10/16/21 11:11 AM
10/16/21 11:11 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by burdar
My thougth was that since there is a 1/16" gap between the rubber and the hanger on each side... That if cornering hard, the rubber could flex and the spring eye could move from side to side. If the rubber was touching the sides, there could still be side to side movement in the spring eye but it would be greatly reduced. It sound like this movement isn't enough to worry about. I had thought about adding a thin stainless washer on each side of the spring eye to take up the gap. The center hole in the washers would be large enough that the center sleeve would pass through them and still clamp tight to the hanger. Probably just over thinking it.

IMO, nope.