09/16/21 04:37 AM
09/16/21 04:37 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline OP
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline OP

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Over the years i gave nailed lots of Architectural Shingles as my best friend (who passed away not to long ago) was a new home builder. He aslsdi did rentavations, and remodels.
I normally used GAF or Owned Corning.
But lots of time they would cheap out o. The underlayment as it was covered in short order. So 15 pound felt or cheap entry level synthetic was used.
I am going Owens Corning a step above Oak Ridge to a Duration (New Dimension) the Duration has an extra strong Nailing Strip for high wind. And the New Dimention has more variations in color, so shows more light med and dark shades than the Oak Ridge.
Link to Duration below
https://youtu.be/NWu4oKkBuxY
Great warrenty or so they say. As you have to go with the whole recomended package. Titanium underlay, and the premit hip and ridge.
I have used the hip and ridge many times it is thick and resist high wind more so than a tab cut up.
Use of the Titanium Synthetic 30_UDL or 50 UDL is what is recomended under it.
Has anyone used this underlay? Or the Duration Roof.
Link to Titanium 30 below for quick reference

https://buymbs.com/p-11-titanium-ud...jspZfMSRCsy3Z6NCr9pN1h7qL5AaAtK_EALw_wcB

Last edited by 340SIX; 09/16/21 04:45 AM.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 340SIX] #2964812
09/16/21 08:42 PM
09/16/21 08:42 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I have really been tempted to go with Ribbed steel next time as i'm tired of the wind, hail, and premature shingle failure. Yes the steel will dent with hail but it won't fail twocents shruggy

Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: TJP] #2964842
09/16/21 09:50 PM
09/16/21 09:50 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline OP
340SIX  Offline OP

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by TJP
I have really been tempted to go with Ribbed steel next time as i'm tired of the wind, hail, and premature shingle failure. Yes the steel will dent with hail but it won't fail twocents shruggy

Same here, but wife will not permit it. I would love to go the metal roof and solar.
But no dice.
Looks like other than getting bottom.of barrel synthetic felt/ underlay aand ok roof I am SOL.
They were shortages from Covid 19 and now are 3 to 4 months out from the storm.
No one has any good synthetic locally lime I posted above.
So use of a cheaper product would screw up the warrenty.
I am going to order good stuff shipped to.me so i can have the lifetime warrenty from. a source North. As tge warranty cjearky states what shoukd be used. And sit on it the nails and hip and ridge. It will be on good company with the felt and roof nailer I have not used in years, back when I was helping my buddy do roofs.

And wait on the Duration with Surenail Nailing Strips in the color she wants.
Looks like I will be sporting blue roof.
Also seeing lots of shabby work already so feel for others that are getting screwed and do not know it.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 340SIX] #2964888
09/17/21 06:04 AM
09/17/21 06:04 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Today's shingles are garbage. Seems like it does not matter whose you use. I am 17 years into a "Premium" 35 year shingle and they are shot. Most of the gravel has collected in the gutters or washed away. I was up on the roof last weekend dealing with a vent leak and did a walk around. The dimensional parts of the shingles are just peeling off. Have been finding them laying in the yard. Color retention of the shingles is also terrible. From the road, its easy to identify different individual packages of shingles as you could actually do a count of different color batches that have held their color differently. Absolute garbage. Trying to make a claim with vendors is a joke. They have more excuses about what caused the failure than its worth chasing. Seriously looking at steel for the next roof.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 340SIX] #2964942
09/17/21 10:30 AM
09/17/21 10:30 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
my experience with lifetime warranties and housing products are not overly positive either.
Several year back I needed to replace the windows. So I did a bunch of research on various companies and Found a company called Traco. They produced windows for commercial buildings as well as homes. They had been in business over 100 years and their plant was even located in Iowa. So I had the windows installed. About 3 years later the company was sold, the consumer division was split off. There were some walnut shells moving around the consumer division went bankrupt with the new owner winding up in jail. m
Meanwhile the commercial division is still in business and my LIFETIME WARRANTY is useless. And I have had to replace several of the widows due to leaking between the panes.
The really bad part is a local outfit called Champion windows is still going strong. I didn't even consider them as I felt they were to small and had not been in business long enough (about 35 years at the time) and were more likely to go out of business.

Roofing wise, I had IKO shingles fail at about 8 years and they were replaced at no charge. Since then i have used a local company called Tamko as they are considered to be the best in this area beer

Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: oldjonny] #2964943
09/17/21 10:31 AM
09/17/21 10:31 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline OP
340SIX  Offline OP

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by oldjonny
Today's shingles are garbage. Seems like it does not matter whose you use. I am 17 years into a "Premium" 35 year shingle and they are shot. Most of the gravel has collected in the gutters or washed away. I was up on the roof last weekend dealing with a vent leak and did a walk around. The dimensional parts of the shingles are just peeling off. Have been finding them laying in the yard. Color retention of the shingles is also terrible. From the road, its easy to identify different individual packages of shingles as you could actually do a count of different color batches that have held their color differently. Absolute garbage. Trying to make a claim with vendors is a joke. They have more excuses about what caused the failure than its worth chasing. Seriously looking at steel for the next roof.

Thanks for the input.
That is why I am being 100 percent silly with using al the recommended products that go with the roof.
I want no excuses if and when it fails.
Looks like tgat is the loophole tget use is that you did not use the whole system
So your shortcuts or other materials are the cause of the failed roof.
It will add some extra money to do it 100 percent by the book and some companies even charge to register for the warrenty.
Just cutting 3 tab shingles and using them for hip and ridge voids the wind garrenty.
I have used the recommended ones on my dads roof and they are not cheap.
But did stay on at 130mph and the roof did too. If I woukd have used 3 tab cut up and roof woukd have peeled was told void warrenty.
I guess it is only money. It my cars like money too.
If the roof and other damaged things did get it something else would.
Anyone want a Challenger that was owned by Fred Flinstone? Just think the wind in your hair, your feet in the dirt pushing the car along, Yabba Dabba Doing at the Drive In.

Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 340SIX] #2965017
09/17/21 02:50 PM
09/17/21 02:50 PM
Richmond, Indiana
19swinger70 Online work
master
19swinger70  Online Work
master

Richmond, Indiana
I have lived in 4 houses in my 43 years on this planet. All 4 houses had shingles that were rated for anywhere between 30 - 50 year lifespans. None of these roofs lasted longer than 20 years. I have been told that with the architectural shingles, the nailing pattern / installation really makes a difference in how long they last, but Im not a roofer. I do not know.

I DO know that roof pitch seems to make a difference, in that the flatter the pitch, the less life. At least in my limited experience.

1970 340 swinger. sublime
1967 barracuda fastback BB
55 Plymouth Project
Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 19swinger70] #2965020
09/17/21 03:03 PM
09/17/21 03:03 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
We've never had a roof last longer then 12-15 years or so. We have a big roof and the second last time it was done they were great, had 2 or 3 crews going and were done in a day. Last time we went with the same company. They came and started the job on Christmas eve, left early, left with the job half done, dropped what they were doing and left the trash all over the place. It took over an hour to move all the stuff off our walkway to be able to safely get to our driveway to go out. I called the sales guy and gave him an ear full. Then it snowed before they came back. The fnished job looks OK but they had to come back in the spring to finish off small things and clean up. I think we went with the long life fiberglass architectural shingles this time to see if that makes a difference.

My brother got one of new style metal roofs on his house. He's hoping that's the way to prevent having to do it again too soon. I told him to make sure he gets some extra material in case anything is ever damaged but I don't think he did so it'll probably end up being one of those things that when it needs to be redone it'll be because of some damage and you can't get the matching stampings any more.

Last edited by 5thAve; 09/17/21 03:03 PM.
Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 5thAve] #2965069
09/17/21 07:07 PM
09/17/21 07:07 PM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

boston mass-moving to long isl...

6 weeks ago we had a 50yr gaf roof installed by babe roof here on long island (their tv ad is ...another home run by babe roof) .... so far so good...

Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 340SIX] #2965116
09/17/21 09:44 PM
09/17/21 09:44 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
one other thing if you're really wanting to cover your backside on excuse land, Make sure the roof is adequately vented beer

Re: Roof Materials Question [Re: 340SIX] #2965492
09/19/21 02:23 PM
09/19/21 02:23 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
In 1983 my mother bought a house in a development where all the roofs were required to be cedar shingles,
due to the developer “liking the look of cedar shingles.”

My father vocally disliked the cedar shingles from new, said they were a fire hazard and would not last very long.

But in 2013 the cedar shingles were still there, and the roof was not leaking.

My brother and I both thought the roof looked “rough”, and we were worried the underlying plywood might need to be replaced if we waited longer.
The cedar shingles were replaced with Owens Corning conventional shingles.
The underlying plywood actually “looked very good” in the roofers judgement.

The roofs around us mostly had their cedar shingles replaced over the last 8 years, but there are still two roofs nearby with original cedar shingles.

My father grew up in a 1930 house with a slate roof. A cousin still lives in that house with the original slate roof.

I have a 1200 square foot 1953 built house on the beach in Florida.
It has flat interlocking white concrete roof tiles that weigh a hefty 11.25 lbs each. Rafters are very narrowly spaced.
This roof has survived with zero damage Hurricane Cleo in 1965 ( 16 inches of seawater inside house, ground elevation 14 feet above MSL)
and the 121 mph winds of Hurricane Wilma as that storm passed over from East to West.

Many of the newer red “half pipe” Spanish tile roofs failed on nearby building in the winds of Hurricane Wilma.
I erroneously thought those Spanish tiles were stiffer and stronger than the thick flat concrete interlocking tiles.