Boise
M
Moparteacher Offline
mopar
Moparteacher  Offline
mopar
M

Boise
You're not going to like my suggestion...Run a functional EGR valve. You'll lower the combustion temperarture and increase fuel economy for cruise and highway.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: Moparteacher] #2963485
09/13/21 02:44 AM
09/13/21 02:44 AM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas
Originally Posted by Moparteacher
You're not going to like my suggestion...Run a functional EGR valve. You'll lower the combustion temperarture and increase fuel economy for cruise and highway.

Interesting.... work

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: bobby66] #2963495
09/13/21 07:30 AM
09/13/21 07:30 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Seldom does the EPA ever put out interesting research
but the research paper where they took a VW TDI diesel engine
retrofitted it with a sparkplug
and ran it on 100% Ethanol in the gasoline like Otto cycle
without lowering the factory TDI compression ratio
is well worth reading.
They ran EGR amounts from zero to over 50%

I wish they had made a few runs with Triptane,
the chemical invented by the USA council of fuel research prior to World War II
that Colonel Jimmy Dolittle knew about
and used to make 130 Octane aviation gasoline
for his famous bombing mission over Japan.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: madscientist] #2963665
09/13/21 02:40 PM
09/13/21 02:40 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by tubtar
No love for thermal barrier coatings ?
With high compression and low octane , combustion chamber heat can be reduced by coating the piston and chamber.
I have read some interesting results from this.

I am still undecided about coatings, here is why.

We know running aluminum heads can allow you around another full point of compression vs an otherwise identical iron head, the reason is it conducts the heat away from any hot spot faster so the hottest point in the chamber is no longer as hot and no longer as likely to pre-ignite the fuel. Same with the piston, the heat can spread out faster from any given point. Now we would add a ceramic coating that does the exact opposite...? It is possible I am missing something, maybe just keeping the heat from being absorbed in the first place outweighs it but my though is that it would just have a hot spot with the piston behind it still trying to transfer heat evenly through out but the surface could more easily develop a hot spot, sort of an in between of the properties of aluminum and iron...

One other thing I like to do that seems to work really well for me is running as flat a piston as possible, for example a 318 with stock flat top pistons, no valve reliefs set with a real tight quench and magnum heads let me get away with very high compression, lowest surface area possible for a piston to keep it from absorbing heat... it may be worthwhile to run a head with a bigger chamber so you can run less or no dish in the piston. I always prefer a perfectly flat piston if possible.

There is ZERO truth to the oft repeated nonsense that aluminum heads can use a point more compression than iron. None. Guys running iron heads can run the same compression as guys running aluminum heads. It’s ridiculous to keep saying that falsehood. There is no possible way in hell that running along at a cruise and running into tip in rattle will stop if you switch to aluminum. Common sense says the increase in heat load happens so fast it wouldn’t matter if the heads were made of unobtainimum it wouldn’t matter.

There are no “tricks” to running more compression than the “orthodox” standards we have been lead to believe. Common sense engine building, cam selection and chassis isnt trickeration. It’s common sense.

Aluminum helps reduce detonation not just because of what happens over the course of one particular engine cycle, it helps because over the last several thousand cycles previous to that one particular cycle the heat has spread out more evenly throughout the cylinder head instead of staying more in one spot like it would have if the heads were iron. You can experience the same phenomenon when heating a head to remove a broken exhaust bolt, you put the heat on a broken bolt in an iron head and it will very quickly heat up the area the bolt is in and the rest of the head temp barely changes temps if at all and that spot will stay hotter much longer than if you do the same thing on an aluminum head, that hot spot around the broken bolt cools off waaaaay faster and the heat is much more quickly spread out through out the rest of the head. The aluminum spreads out the heat over time and prevents hot spots much more effectively than iron. You are ignoring the heat dissipation over time and focusing on one small slice of time where both heads are perfectly exact temp through out but over running time that is far from what is happening inside the engine.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: Moparteacher] #2963671
09/13/21 02:50 PM
09/13/21 02:50 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Originally Posted by Moparteacher
You're not going to like my suggestion...Run a functional EGR valve. You'll lower the combustion temperature and increase fuel economy for cruise and highway.

I will not argue that EGR can't reduce knock in an engine, it clearly does that, but it does so at the expense of efficiency. The whole point of increasing compression is to bring the oxygen and fuel molecules closer together to insure more of them light and burn during the power stroke, adding non combustible gasses to the mix again spaces those molecules farther apart and they take longer to burn (after the power stroke is complete) and less of them will burn because they are not next to each other. What would be the point of raising compression if you then have to dilute the mix and keep it from burning as completely? Also since you are pumping more gas mass (actual gas not gasoline) through the engine it is wasting more energy through pumping loss. I have done a bunch of experimenting with and without EGR and have lost MPG every single time and can not fathom it not costing HP either.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963705
09/13/21 04:40 PM
09/13/21 04:40 PM
Boise
M
Moparteacher Offline
mopar
Moparteacher  Offline
mopar
M

Boise
EGR's typically do not operate in two ranges, Idle and WOT, and of course only operate when the engine reaches operating temperature. They operate at cruise. When cruising at part throttle max HP is not a concern. You only need enough HP to maintain speed along with light or moderate acceleration. So, a loss of HP at cruise should be of no concern. Max HP is created at WOT when the EGR is not activated. Does anyone care about max HP at cruise? And if the EGR is not functioning at WOT then does it effect ET of max HP? No,
As for pumping losses, the EGR lessen pumping losses by effectively opening another port to atmospheric/or near atmospheric pressure (a big vacuum leak) without the oxygen to destabilize the AFR.
The inert air (dead air) partially fills the combustion chamber thus allowing for a smaller combustion while maintaining the cylinder pressure.

If you've ever driven a throttle cable operated EGR equipped car on the highway, without using cruise control, then you may notice having to reduce the throttle position to maintain and not exceed your desired speed. That's the EGR coming in. The EGR reduces the amount of 02 to maintain cruising speed, thus reducing fuel consumption, The EGR makes the combustion chamber effectively smaller and the inert air cools the combustion; it's a smaller combustion with less fuel, less 02 yet maintaining cylinder pressure.

When a technician sees a car with a detonation complaint and fuel economy complaint then one of the first things he needs to confirm is EGR function along with carbon buildup.

Now, would installing an EGR on my car be the first thing I would do to solve a high compression/detonation issue? No, probably the last thing I would do because they can be problematic, but they work and it doesn't effect WOT HP or ET.

Respectfully.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963763
09/13/21 07:11 PM
09/13/21 07:11 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by tubtar
No love for thermal barrier coatings ?
With high compression and low octane , combustion chamber heat can be reduced by coating the piston and chamber.
I have read some interesting results from this.

I am still undecided about coatings, here is why.

We know running aluminum heads can allow you around another full point of compression vs an otherwise identical iron head, the reason is it conducts the heat away from any hot spot faster so the hottest point in the chamber is no longer as hot and no longer as likely to pre-ignite the fuel. Same with the piston, the heat can spread out faster from any given point. Now we would add a ceramic coating that does the exact opposite...? It is possible I am missing something, maybe just keeping the heat from being absorbed in the first place outweighs it but my though is that it would just have a hot spot with the piston behind it still trying to transfer heat evenly through out but the surface could more easily develop a hot spot, sort of an in between of the properties of aluminum and iron...

One other thing I like to do that seems to work really well for me is running as flat a piston as possible, for example a 318 with stock flat top pistons, no valve reliefs set with a real tight quench and magnum heads let me get away with very high compression, lowest surface area possible for a piston to keep it from absorbing heat... it may be worthwhile to run a head with a bigger chamber so you can run less or no dish in the piston. I always prefer a perfectly flat piston if possible.

There is ZERO truth to the oft repeated nonsense that aluminum heads can use a point more compression than iron. None. Guys running iron heads can run the same compression as guys running aluminum heads. It’s ridiculous to keep saying that falsehood. There is no possible way in hell that running along at a cruise and running into tip in rattle will stop if you switch to aluminum. Common sense says the increase in heat load happens so fast it wouldn’t matter if the heads were made of unobtainimum it wouldn’t matter.

There are no “tricks” to running more compression than the “orthodox” standards we have been lead to believe. Common sense engine building, cam selection and chassis isnt trickeration. It’s common sense.

Aluminum helps reduce detonation not just because of what happens over the course of one particular engine cycle, it helps because over the last several thousand cycles previous to that one particular cycle the heat has spread out more evenly throughout the cylinder head instead of staying more in one spot like it would have if the heads were iron. You can experience the same phenomenon when heating a head to remove a broken exhaust bolt, you put the heat on a broken bolt in an iron head and it will very quickly heat up the area the bolt is in and the rest of the head temp barely changes temps if at all and that spot will stay hotter much longer than if you do the same thing on an aluminum head, that hot spot around the broken bolt cools off waaaaay faster and the heat is much more quickly spread out through out the rest of the head. The aluminum spreads out the heat over time and prevents hot spots much more effectively than iron. You are ignoring the heat dissipation over time and focusing on one small slice of time where both heads are perfectly exact temp through out but over running time that is far from what is happening inside the engine.

You can keep repeating what you believe but it won’t make it true. I can run just as much compression with iron heads as you do with aluminum. There is no way that the aluminum head can dissipate heat so fast as to reduce local combustion temperature to reduce detonation. At operating temp both aluminum and iron run at the same temp. It’s seriously flawed to tell people that aluminum is so good it can work miracles. It can’t. The only way an aluminum head has an advantage over an iron head (not counting weight) is if the idiot behind the wheel abuses the engine by overloading the engine. That’s what Freiberger and Dulcich did in Engine Masters. They purposefully loaded the engine say beyond even stupid abuse to make the point they wanted to. No one with the IQ above a grape would do that in real life.

Your bolt heating analogy is silly. You aren’t starting with ambient temperatures running the engine. Again, there are no “tricks” to running what is considered unorthodox compression ratios on pump gas. Not even aluminum heads. It’s common sense and real science and physics.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963819
09/13/21 09:44 PM
09/13/21 09:44 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I might be misremembering , but I thought coating the piston top , chamber , valves and exhaust port helped force heat out the exhaust.
nothing cheap about it , but it was listed as one of ten different tricks that could be done to help rein in detonation.
A few have been mentioned , and a few were external like coating the headers to reduce under hood heat.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963872
09/14/21 12:01 AM
09/14/21 12:01 AM
Ronald
T
theplesh Offline
theplesh  Offline
T

Ronald
Make sure your dynamic compression is no more than 8.5 to 1. Adv duration of your cam divided by 2 plus your lob sep then subtract 180. Ex... ADV 290/2 = 145 + 110(lob sep) = 255 - 180 = approx 75 degrees ADBC. This is where your intake valve will be closing in reference to rotation. With longer duration camshafts your will get compression bleedoff thru the intakes valves because they stay open longer respectively. You can run 11.5 : 1 or more static compression on pump gas if you cam events bleed down to 8.5 dynamic/effective compression. Its why some hp calculators call for dynamic instead of static compression for predictions.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: madscientist] #2963878
09/14/21 12:12 AM
09/14/21 12:12 AM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il
There is no way that the aluminum head can dissipate heat so fast as to reduce local combustion temperature to reduce detonation.

Aluminum, thermal conductivity 136 btu/hr

Cast iron, thermal conductivity 46 btu/hr

So, aluminum triple thermal conductivity as cast iron, but no difference in operation?

That would be a no.

Don't get me wrong, you are stating the advantages of an aluminum head over an iron head is....?

And I agree in terms out output, iron comes out ahead everything else equal because of thermal efficiency, but it would also put a specific combination closer to detonation on a specific fuel.

Can't have it both ways. Thermal efficiency is keeping heat in the chamber (=power) but that can aggravate detonation sensitivity on pump fuel as well.

A general thought of a point in compression is not the definition of working miracles, it's general understanding of thermal conductivity between two different metals.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 650rwhp @7250 510rwtq @5700
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: INTMD8] #2964013
09/14/21 01:28 PM
09/14/21 01:28 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by INTMD8
There is no way that the aluminum head can dissipate heat so fast as to reduce local combustion temperature to reduce detonation.

Aluminum, thermal conductivity 136 btu/hr

Cast iron, thermal conductivity 46 btu/hr

So, aluminum triple thermal conductivity as cast iron, but no difference in operation?

That would be a no.

Don't get me wrong, you are stating the advantages of an aluminum head over an iron head is....?

And I agree in terms out output, iron comes out ahead everything else equal because of thermal efficiency, but it would also put a specific combination closer to detonation on a specific fuel.

Can't have it both ways. Thermal efficiency is keeping heat in the chamber (=power) but that can aggravate detonation sensitivity on pump fuel as well.

A general thought of a point in compression is not the definition of working miracles, it's general understanding of thermal conductivity between two different metals.

What I’m saying is you can run the same compression ratio with iron heads as you can with aluminum. It’s as simple as that. While aluminum rejects heat faster than iron, it still can’t react fast enough to allow more compression. It’s physically impossible.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: madscientist] #2964018
09/14/21 01:41 PM
09/14/21 01:41 PM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il
I disagree. (Or would say, I'm ok with agreeing to disagree).

A few others thoughts on the matter-

But could the thermal properties of iron offer a power advantage over aluminum? That question gets complicated.

“Thermal conductivity has been debated for many years,” said Kevin Feeney of RHS, Memphis, Tennessee. “Historically, an iron head was considered more durable, and able to make more power due to the fact that it would not dissipate the combustion heat as quickly. With everything else remaining equal, there exists some merit to this argument.”

Mike Downs of Trick Flow Specialties, Tallmadge, Ohio, pointed out that the thermal conductivity of aluminum is “four or five times that of iron. This means an iron head will usually operate hotter. On the positive side, this means the fuel is pre-heated in the intake runner and easier to ignite in the cylinder.

On the negative side, it means the preheated air/fuel mixture will expand, reducing the effective flow into the engine and increasing the risk of pre-ignition. A properly designed aluminum head will transfer heat more quickly to the coolant, leaving the intake runner cooler and therefore able to flow more air-fuel mixture into the cylinder. High-energy ignition systems easily compensate for the cooler intake charge and help achieve maximum fuel burn.”

“The greater thermal conductivity of aluminum is a great advantage,” agreed Chris Frank of Frankenstein Racing Heads, Joshua, Texas, “especially in power-adder applications. That ability to dissipate heat quickly allows for more aggressive tune-ups.”

“Aluminum heads dissipate heat quicker than cast iron,” echoed Torrance, California-based Edelbrock’s Smitty Smith. “This can be an advantage in elimination-style drag racing, keeping the head temperature consistent round after round.”

With aluminum, Tony Mamo of AFR (Air Flow Research), Valencia, California, concurred, “detonation is less likely in an engine on the ragged edge, as it won’t hold as much heat. But that also firms up the argument that a cast iron head on an engine without detonation issues would make more power for the very same reason!”

“You need to build more heat with aluminum to make the same power,” agreed Bill Mitchell Jr. of Bill Mitchell Products, Ronkonkoma, New York, “or compensate by coating the chambers to keep more heat in the cylinders.”

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 650rwhp @7250 510rwtq @5700
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: INTMD8] #2964107
09/14/21 05:47 PM
09/14/21 05:47 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
I disagree. (Or would say, I'm ok with agreeing to disagree).

A few others thoughts on the matter-

But could the thermal properties of iron offer a power advantage over aluminum? That question gets complicated.

“Thermal conductivity has been debated for many years,” said Kevin Feeney of RHS, Memphis, Tennessee. “Historically, an iron head was considered more durable, and able to make more power due to the fact that it would not dissipate the combustion heat as quickly. With everything else remaining equal, there exists some merit to this argument.”

Mike Downs of Trick Flow Specialties, Tallmadge, Ohio, pointed out that the thermal conductivity of aluminum is “four or five times that of iron. This means an iron head will usually operate hotter. On the positive side, this means the fuel is pre-heated in the intake runner and easier to ignite in the cylinder.

On the negative side, it means the preheated air/fuel mixture will expand, reducing the effective flow into the engine and increasing the risk of pre-ignition. A properly designed aluminum head will transfer heat more quickly to the coolant, leaving the intake runner cooler and therefore able to flow more air-fuel mixture into the cylinder. High-energy ignition systems easily compensate for the cooler intake charge and help achieve maximum fuel burn.”

“The greater thermal conductivity of aluminum is a great advantage,” agreed Chris Frank of Frankenstein Racing Heads, Joshua, Texas, “especially in power-adder applications. That ability to dissipate heat quickly allows for more aggressive tune-ups.”

“Aluminum heads dissipate heat quicker than cast iron,” echoed Torrance, California-based Edelbrock’s Smitty Smith. “This can be an advantage in elimination-style drag racing, keeping the head temperature consistent round after round.”

With aluminum, Tony Mamo of AFR (Air Flow Research), Valencia, California, concurred, “detonation is less likely in an engine on the ragged edge, as it won’t hold as much heat. But that also firms up the argument that a cast iron head on an engine without detonation issues would make more power for the very same reason!”

“You need to build more heat with aluminum to make the same power,” agreed Bill Mitchell Jr. of Bill Mitchell Products, Ronkonkoma, New York, “or compensate by coating the chambers to keep more heat in the cylinders.”

What is the temperature of a running, cast iron head verses a running aluminum head? They both have the same coolant temp so the heads are the same temperature. Aluminum doesn’t run cooler just because it’s aluminum. My next question is how many BTU’s does it take and how fast does the increase need to occur for aluminum to get rid of it quicker? All while considering that you have to raise the coolant temperature to increase the temperature of the head. Again, I would refer anyone to the bogus, nonsense test that Freiberger did on Engine Masters. They had to literally force the engine into a heat overload condition to make the claim that aluminum can reject heat better than cast iron can. It was 100% unreal and shame on Freiberger for posting car magazine crapola on the show. Shame on Brûlé for letting him do it. No one in their right mind heat loads an engine like that. And until they did it, the iron head was no more detonation prone than the aluminum head was. Go watch it for yourself. Then ask yourself if you would do that to YOUR engine.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: madscientist] #2964142
09/14/21 08:16 PM
09/14/21 08:16 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I have no idea what video you are referencing.

The problem with cast iron is one spot can be significantly hotter than another spot, a ridge in the combustion chamber for example, you may have a 200 degree coolant temp but a hot spot that is 300 degrees because the heat is not transfered away very fast and the rest of the iron just slightly above the coolant temp perhaps 220 degrees. Aluminum on the other hand can also have the 200 degree coolant temp but the same thickness aluminum as the steel was but that one spot won't get as hot, the heat can move away from that area into the surrounding area quicker so you have a more consistent temp of the aluminum in the actual chamber, the temp in the same hot spot might get to 250 and the rest of the aluminum perhaps running 225 degrees so the average heat of the chamber is about equal but there are not as dramatic of hot and cool parts. That is why I brought up about the heating broken bolts, the aluminum head needs more heat applied to that spot to get it hot enough to remove the bolt and that entire aluminum head will get warm and the iron head will not but look out because that one spot you heated will burn your finger for several minutes. There is not a significant heat transfer from just one split second of heat but after thousands and thousands of those flashes of heat there are going to be hotter areas in the iron head than an identical aluminum head would have achieved.

Maybe a better analogy for you would be a well insulated and sealed up house with the thermostat set to 70, the entire house is close to that 70 degrees but then you got a drafty old house where you may achive 70 right there at the thermostat but there are much hotter and colder places in the house.

I don't understand how someone can claim the heat transfer is enough to make a difference in efficiency because less heat is absorbed by the iron, but on the other hand not understand how in one isolated part of the chambers temperature enough to make a hot spot that can start preignition when the fuel and air mix is squeezed to 250PSI against one spot that is already hot because it can't transfer it to the coolant fast enough...

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: madscientist] #2964143
09/14/21 08:17 PM
09/14/21 08:17 PM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il
It's not about the temperature of the head, if it was you could just make up the difference by altering the coolant temperature.

It's about how quickly heat is conducted away from the chamber and into the cooling system. Just some numbers as an example but lets say you have peak cylinder pressure of 1200psi and peak combustion temperature of 4000 deg F, obviously that's a huge delta between say 200 degree coolant. How could a material separating those 2 one of which multiple times more thermally conductive -NOT- drop peak temperatures and therefore pressure?

Combustion heat/energy that could be pushing the piston down is lost to the cooling system which is then dissipated by the radiator.

As long as the cooling system isn't on the brink of being overloaded you could easily have more combustion heat being wicked into the system (by a head with much greater thermal conductivity) while maintaining the same coolant temp.

If that was not possible you would have a very large swing in coolant temp at say idle vs high rpm wide open throttle.

Hey, at least we agree that HP is king smile

Last edited by INTMD8; 09/14/21 08:40 PM.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: INTMD8] #2964163
09/14/21 09:06 PM
09/14/21 09:06 PM
Washington
H
hemienvy Offline
super stock
hemienvy  Offline
super stock
H

Washington
I would love to contribute to this analysis, but I would have to dig out my thermodynamics books again.

Part of this discussion needs to separate out steady state equilibrium conditions VS transient conditions.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: hemienvy] #2964240
09/15/21 12:17 AM
09/15/21 12:17 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by hemienvy
I would love to contribute to this analysis, but I would have to dig out my thermodynamics books again.

Part of this discussion needs to separate out steady state equilibrium conditions VS transient conditions.

THANK YOU and please do get your books out. It’s the transient conditions they don’t get.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: INTMD8] #2964241
09/15/21 12:18 AM
09/15/21 12:18 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
It's not about the temperature of the head, if it was you could just make up the difference by altering the coolant temperature.

It's about how quickly heat is conducted away from the chamber and into the cooling system. Just some numbers as an example but lets say you have peak cylinder pressure of 1200psi and peak combustion temperature of 4000 deg F, obviously that's a huge delta between say 200 degree coolant. How could a material separating those 2 one of which multiple times more thermally conductive -NOT- drop peak temperatures and therefore pressure?

Combustion heat/energy that could be pushing the piston down is lost to the cooling system which is then dissipated by the radiator.

As long as the cooling system isn't on the brink of being overloaded you could easily have more combustion heat being wicked into the system (by a head with much greater thermal conductivity) while maintaining the same coolant temp.

If that was not possible you would have a very large swing in coolant temp at say idle vs high rpm wide open throttle.

Hey, at least we agree that HP is king smile

You certainly CAN reduce detonation with coolant temperature. An engine at 190 degrees is much more detonation prone than one running at 160. It IS as simple as that.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2964242
09/15/21 12:21 AM
09/15/21 12:21 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
I have no idea what video you are referencing.

The problem with cast iron is one spot can be significantly hotter than another spot, a ridge in the combustion chamber for example, you may have a 200 degree coolant temp but a hot spot that is 300 degrees because the heat is not transfered away very fast and the rest of the iron just slightly above the coolant temp perhaps 220 degrees. Aluminum on the other hand can also have the 200 degree coolant temp but the same thickness aluminum as the steel was but that one spot won't get as hot, the heat can move away from that area into the surrounding area quicker so you have a more consistent temp of the aluminum in the actual chamber, the temp in the same hot spot might get to 250 and the rest of the aluminum perhaps running 225 degrees so the average heat of the chamber is about equal but there are not as dramatic of hot and cool parts. That is why I brought up about the heating broken bolts, the aluminum head needs more heat applied to that spot to get it hot enough to remove the bolt and that entire aluminum head will get warm and the iron head will not but look out because that one spot you heated will burn your finger for several minutes. There is not a significant heat transfer from just one split second of heat but after thousands and thousands of those flashes of heat there are going to be hotter areas in the iron head than an identical aluminum head would have achieved.

Maybe a better analogy for you would be a well insulated and sealed up house with the thermostat set to 70, the entire house is close to that 70 degrees but then you got a drafty old house where you may achive 70 right there at the thermostat but there are much hotter and colder places in the house.

I don't understand how someone can claim the heat transfer is enough to make a difference in efficiency because less heat is absorbed by the iron, but on the other hand not understand how in one isolated part of the chambers temperature enough to make a hot spot that can start preignition when the fuel and air mix is squeezed to 250PSI against one spot that is already hot because it can't transfer it to the coolant fast enough...

It’s an episode of Engine Masters. David Freiberger runs the show. They do the exact test you think validates your theory, and in fact they prove that your theory is wrong (which happens to be the same theory that Freiberger) so to make sure his silly theory pans out, he rigs the test to get the outcome you both want. It’s on MotorTrend TV. You can Google it up and find it.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: madscientist] #2964294
09/15/21 08:45 AM
09/15/21 08:45 AM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il

You certainly CAN reduce detonation with coolant temperature. An engine at 190 degrees is much more detonation prone than one running at 160. It IS as simple as that.

LMAO, what a revelation! So temperature does matter but the ability to shed that temperature into the cooling system doesn't.

Obviously my response was not to say engine temperature has no difference, it means it has no difference when all things kept equal besides cylinder head material.

I feel like I'm talking to Joe Dirts Dad. "how does it work? It just does!" Or in the case, "it just can't!"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3