09/08/21 06:30 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by rdrnr6970
Im cant wait to retire im beat!lol!But i know i cant just stay homt all day.I was sick earlier this year and had to stay home and i got almost nothing done,just sat around because of medical stuff and it wasnt good for me.So my wife will have a honey do list,nothing to crazy,maybe il have a mopar to work on and probably work at a auto zone with parts thats what will probably happen,low stress hopefully and work part time for extra gas money. drive

I was thinking maybe a part time gig at an auto parts store might be a good fit as well .

Ive already been offered 2 post retirement jobs if I want them . 1 is here at airport as a part time projects guy, Basically rides around in a truck all day ( air conditioned ) job just guides and keeps an eye on companies / personnel working inside the AOA fence. Could do a few days a week year round OR work a few months out of the year and do my own thing the rest of the year .

I just know I'll need to do something to keep me active and out of the wifes hair ( she works from home )

Although I already know there are some house remodel jobs are looming in the near future.......

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: 70sixpkrt] #2962443
09/09/21 11:32 AM
09/09/21 11:32 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
spoiling your grandson should keep you busy ! biggrin
beer

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: VITC_GTX] #2962455
09/09/21 12:15 PM
09/09/21 12:15 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
I'm 53 and will be able to retire at 55 (wife is retiring in two months at 55). With service leave and vacation I only need to work another year before I actually head out the door.

To tell you the truth I'm a little worried. Later in life I have gotten more and more lazy and I'm scared I will become someone who just sits around. In my 20's - 30's I would come home from work and spend hours in the shop, all day on weekends. Now I come home, do a few things for 30 minutes or so and then just sit and watch TV. I still spend most of the weekends working in the shop and around the house. Hopefully I find that the time I spend at work now is taking too much out of me and once I retire I can use that energy/time to do something else.

Anyone else nervous about pending retirement?

I've had similar thoughts. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks, wife is 48. She can retire in 9 years with her 30 year pension. The 35 year pension is more than double, but the idea of retiring at 59/58ish is too good to pass up. We're going to travel a lot initially, and then maybe each get a part time job while continuing to travel. That combination will keep us from being bored. Also, no idea where our 2 kids will be living at that point, so we'll potentially be spending time traveling to see them as well. Plan is also to sell the house and downsize.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: not_a_charger] #2962589
09/09/21 08:46 PM
09/09/21 08:46 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
56 here and the wife is 50. She can retire in a little over 3 years with a 30 year pension. That is part of the picture. She can't collect it until she is 55. Even in 5 years I'll only be 61 so not able to collect SSI for another year. I understand her point in that right now she drives 130 miles each day round trip but am trying to show her that 5 years is actually more reasonable. That and we have our youngest son in HS still so 4 years for college(if we are lucky) and bingo, he is done. So what are our plans? We live in Maryland and they tax the heck out of you so moving to the Smoky Mtns is our goal. Because I'm diabetic, will still need health insurance so want to get myself some easy job with health insurance. Need to finish the hot rods off and am heading in the right direction there but lots to do. Will probably need a 4 car garage built also. Semi-retirement sounds kinda busy in reality. Hope I find a good friend wherever we land because the wife isn't interested in doing much. Heck, We can't even agree on travel plans. I want a new truck and a camper. She insists on a motorhome. If by some chance we end up where she actually wants to move(north Idaho/western MT) I want to try camping and gold panning. Once Hockey season starts, taking trips up into Canada to watch several of the junior teams. Honestly, I think just chilling for a while would be nice also. Tired of doing stuff.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: not_a_charger] #2962604
09/09/21 09:50 PM
09/09/21 09:50 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline
master
VITC_GTX  Offline
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I'm 53 and will be able to retire at 55 (wife is retiring in two months at 55). With service leave and vacation I only need to work another year before I actually head out the door.

To tell you the truth I'm a little worried. Later in life I have gotten more and more lazy and I'm scared I will become someone who just sits around. In my 20's - 30's I would come home from work and spend hours in the shop, all day on weekends. Now I come home, do a few things for 30 minutes or so and then just sit and watch TV. I still spend most of the weekends working in the shop and around the house. Hopefully I find that the time I spend at work now is taking too much out of me and once I retire I can use that energy/time to do something else.

Anyone else nervous about pending retirement?

I've had similar thoughts. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks, wife is 48. She can retire in 9 years with her 30 year pension. The 35 year pension is more than double, but the idea of retiring at 59/58ish is too good to pass up. We're going to travel a lot initially, and then maybe each get a part time job while continuing to travel. That combination will keep us from being bored. Also, no idea where our 2 kids will be living at that point, so we'll potentially be spending time traveling to see them as well. Plan is also to sell the house and downsize.

We're thinking we may travel some (my wife wants to go everywhere) but I'm afraid to fly so we have to drive, which she doesn't care for. I'm not interested in a part time job, I won't need to work and I figure why quit a nice paying job to take another low paying job. Our kids are grown and we have three granddaughters that all live here in town so I'll be able to spend more time with them. I'm just struggling to understand how to fill a 16 hour day with productive activities. Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing grin

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: VITC_GTX] #2963428
09/12/21 09:57 PM
09/12/21 09:57 PM
Bloomington, IN
H
HoosierTA Offline
master
HoosierTA  Offline
master
H

Bloomington, IN
I have a year to go. Will be just 63. Nearly 40 years in. I signed off on a program that I draw my pension the last three years of work, but there is no “backsies “. When I leave I w have the three year nest egg, plus my other investments.

We are doing some major harvesting soon on our tree farm, and I hope to improve our cattle ranch. Maybe enjoy my Challenger some, but I am at the point were tinkering with a car on the side of the road isn’t what I prefer to do.

Torn between completely retiring or work in another sector of my government, in which I can draw my pension; draw a salary, and take advantage of the HSA and other tax deferred programs offered. I would pretty much use my new paycheck to play with, and let my investments ride.

If I retire completely, I will draw SS immediately. That “earning 8%” by waiting isn’t for me. Every year waiting is 30,0000 that would be in my pocket. By age 79, it all balances out.

Really odd, that I have a decision to make, but law enforcement work the past two years has really sucked.

'70 Challenger R/T 383
'16 Hemi Durango SSV (work vehicle)
'15 Ram Police SSV
Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: VITC_GTX] #2963437
09/12/21 10:26 PM
09/12/21 10:26 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
If you really don't know what you will do after you retire, consider volunteering for someplace that needs your experience to help others. You can probably pick the hours you want to work, and that work is so much more rewarding then just working at a job.

Look around, find something that really bugs you because of the way it is, and figure out what you can do to make a difference. There are a lot of great originations that do some really good stuff and they need your help. If the first try doesn't trip your trigger, try something else. When you hit on the right one, it doesn't feel like work! Gene

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: poorboy] #2963474
09/13/21 12:35 AM
09/13/21 12:35 AM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline
master
VITC_GTX  Offline
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Originally Posted by poorboy
If you really don't know what you will do after you retire, consider volunteering for someplace that needs your experience to help others. You can probably pick the hours you want to work, and that work is so much more rewarding then just working at a job.

Look around, find something that really bugs you because of the way it is, and figure out what you can do to make a difference. There are a lot of great originations that do some really good stuff and they need your help. If the first try doesn't trip your trigger, try something else. When you hit on the right one, it doesn't feel like work! Gene

Thanks for the advice Gene. Might be a good option if I can find the right place/cause.

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: VITC_GTX] #2963499
09/13/21 08:17 AM
09/13/21 08:17 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by poorboy

Thanks for the advice Gene. Might be a good option if I can find the right place/cause.

I'm going to try to volunteer with the Red Cross on their disaster relief team. I have a ton of experience through my job. Should be very rewarding.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: rdrnr6970] #2963510
09/13/21 09:04 AM
09/13/21 09:04 AM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
after 40 years, I'm NOT working 21 turn 7 days a week. Not driving on snow covered roads. Not freezing in the winter in a factory that is colder inside that it is out side, not roasting in 110+ in the summer. Moping floors, dusting, washing clothes, have the wife's dinner on the table when she comes home. Yeah I'll take it.

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: basketcase] #2963531
09/13/21 10:15 AM
09/13/21 10:15 AM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
Not everyone feels that they have to be "productive" after retiring. Not after 42 years in manufacturing plants and having younger managers telling you how to do your job. Some days I just read or take a walk. Other days I will help my son with one of his home projects. He thinks I am free labor and truck driver. Like I said, you have to watch out for those younger managers.

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? [Re: cgall] #2965954
09/21/21 10:50 AM
09/21/21 10:50 AM
Eyewa
330Scott Offline
master
330Scott  Offline
master

Eyewa
Originally Posted by cgall
Not everyone feels that they have to be "productive" after retiring. Not after 42 years in manufacturing plants and having younger managers telling you how to do your job. Some days I just read or take a walk. Other days I will help my son with one of his home projects. He thinks I am free labor and truck driver. Like I said, you have to watch out for those younger managers.

Good points you make there, youngster. Believe it is called "chillin'"

Started my 4th year of retirement on Sept 1st. Probably have chilled a few too many days. up

Travel was the big plan, but have taken up bicycling this year instead. Started volunteering at a local bicycle cooperative lately as well.

Need to find a lady to share these golden years with.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3