Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I'm using four wheel disc brakes on my under construction 1940 Ford Tudor street rod, I like to be able to stop well when needed work up twocents
it has a Mustang two front end with a Lincoln Versialle(SP?) 9 inch stock rear end with all Ford stock parts, I hope it works well luck

Street rods are in a different category IMO. I built my 38 Ford over 30 years ago. Mustang II front, 8" ford out back, single reservoir stock master and it has always stopped extremely well even without power assist. The next time I change the master I'll likely up it to a dual but other than that I don't see any reason to upgrade anything else.
We did the same setup on my brothers 48.
If I were building them today I would possibly do some things different but what's there is working fine.

And just in case anyone's wondering, mine has a 340 Sixpack (mechanical DC carbs), His has a 360, both with 727's smile

As long as you stay away from the small diameter brake boosters. The 7" and even most 8" dual vacuum boosters are pretty worthless. On a street rod, I would probably set up a dual reservoir master with out power assist, just be sure the brake pedal has the proper ratio for non-power brakes. Power brakes on a street rod don't seem to make much difference. Most people buy those junk 7" booster, Corvette master, pedal bracket and pedal assemblies on line and can't figure why the brakes are crap. Its because those setups are junk, the boosters don't work, the master is for the soft pedal GM calipers, and the pedal ratio is way off. Don't waste your money.

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: Sniper] #2961715
09/06/21 09:58 PM
09/06/21 09:58 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by jcc
On my 51 it has non-self energizing and non-self adjusting drums. Rear discs would be an improvement even if it added no additional braking ability.

You have to consider the whole package.

You mean a 51 with a FH six with 7.00x14 Bias tires single MC "whole package"?

Nope, try again.

Why?

OP was rather clear IMO, "My question was was more towards 60's & 70's STREET DRIVEN cars that rarely if EVER see any track use."

you are the one who took it to a 51 with "non-self energizing and non-self adjusting drums" , "whole package". realcrazy

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: jcc] #2961763
09/07/21 06:57 AM
09/07/21 06:57 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc
On my 51 it has non-self energizing and non-self adjusting drums. Rear discs would be an improvement even if it added no additional braking ability.

Nope, try again.

Why?

OP was rather clear IMO, "My question was was more towards 60's & 70's STREET DRIVEN cars that rarely if EVER see any track use."

you are the one who took it to a 51 with "non-self energizing and non-self adjusting drums" , "whole package". realcrazy

Maybe you ought to learn the basic concept of cause and effect. The "My question was was more towards 60's & 70's STREET DRIVEN cars that rarely if EVER see any track use." came in response to my comment about the 51, not before it. The original question was

What is the reasoning behind converting the rears to disc brakes on older vehicles that are mainly street driven?
It seems like an unnecessary expense that doesn't make sense to me. If one is going to the road course OK, but otherwise ?

And my response was perfectly in line with that.

Your response was also inaccurate in regards to the factory setup of my 51, hence the BOLDED text and the comment to try again.

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: Sniper] #2961825
09/07/21 11:32 AM
09/07/21 11:32 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
what was the diameter of a stock 73 A body booster with discs on the front ? i believe those were just a single diaphragm booster.
they were sort of small. i'm thinking of the ones you could take apart with the band around the two halves.
beer

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: moparx] #2961935
09/07/21 05:43 PM
09/07/21 05:43 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by moparx
what was the diameter of a stock 73 A body booster with discs on the front ? i believe those were just a single diaphragm booster.
they were sort of small. i'm thinking of the ones you could take apart with the band around the two halves.
beer

I will see and take a picture as well. My car is an H-code all stock front disk yes i left it stock. Build date is very late for 1973 door sticker says 8-73. Has a few 1974 parts on it.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: 340SIX] #2961942
09/07/21 05:53 PM
09/07/21 05:53 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
This is the one that came on.the car new. I original local to us owner sold the car to a friend of mine. He and his son drove it some time, and he sold it to me. Other than s color change from Gold to B5 Blue and spoke wheels the car was not molested. Well not unroll I brought it.
9 inches across. I do have a new 25 to put back on it someplace.

20210907_164400.jpg

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: Sniper] #2962041
09/07/21 10:48 PM
09/07/21 10:48 PM
n.c.
G
geo. Offline
enthusiast
geo.  Offline
enthusiast
G

n.c.
Originally Posted by geo.
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I'm using four wheel disc brakes on my under construction 1940 Ford Tudor street rod, I like to be able to stop well when needed work up twocents
it has a Mustang two front end with a Lincoln Versialle(SP?) 9 inch stock rear end with all Ford stock parts, I hope it works well luck

If you don't have any experience with the stock rear brakes, read up on them. The pistons have a narrow range where they work. If you drive the car much you should be constantly adjusting the rear pistons.
Otherwise they run out of travel and don't work!

IIRC, the adjusting is done by using the parking brake regularly. Just get in the habit of always applying it when parking and you should have it covered.

Thanks for the reminder, I've had them on a track car, the builder left off the park brake mechanism, totally forgot how the oem expected them to work!
So you push them all the way in when installing new pads then adjust the piston out to get the amount of drag you want.

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: geo.] #2962087
09/08/21 08:06 AM
09/08/21 08:06 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
I believe you screw the piston in, put in new pads and work the parking brake by hand to tighten it up if needed. I have used a small crescent wrench on the lever in the past.

There should be two holes in the face of the piston to allow you to use a spanner to screw the piston in. I've used two small bolts and a screwdriver to substitute for the spanner.

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: 340SIX] #2962136
09/08/21 12:08 PM
09/08/21 12:08 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by 340SIX
This is the one that came on.the car new. 9 inches across.

thanks ! up
i thought it might be bigger than those universal kits. now i know. thanks again !
beer

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: Sniper] #2962343
09/08/21 10:33 PM
09/08/21 10:33 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc
[quote=Sniper]On my 51 it has non-self energizing and non-self adjusting drums. Rear discs would be an improvement even if it added no additional braking ability.

Nope, try again.

Why?

Maybe you ought to learn the basic concept of cause and effect. The "My question was was more towards 60's & 70's STREET DRIVEN cars that rarely if EVER see any track use." came in response to my comment about the 51, not before it. The original question was

What is the reasoning behind converting the rears to disc brakes on older vehicles that are mainly street driven?
It seems like an unnecessary expense that doesn't make sense to me. If one is going to the road course OK, but otherwise ?

Your response was also inaccurate in regards to the factory setup of my 51, hence the BOLDED text and the comment to try again.

What, you are hiding behind my tire size I mentioned in a question might be .5 off or so? Really? laugh2

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: jcc] #2962405
09/09/21 08:39 AM
09/09/21 08:39 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc
[quote=jcc][quote=Sniper]On my 51 it has non-self energizing and non-self adjusting drums. Rear discs would be an improvement even if it added no additional braking ability.

Nope, try again.

Why?

What, you are hiding behind my tire size I mentioned in a question might be .5 off or so? Really? laugh2

Dude, learn to quote, I am running P255/50R17's, which is in my build thread here on MoParts. Nowhere near the stock size and NO your response was not in line with the OP's original question and my response to that. Nor was it relevant to the OP's follow up clarification.

It was an attempt to imply a sense of knowledge you do not possess. BTW, the stock tire size for my 51 are 6.70x15.

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes ? [Re: Sniper] #2962586
09/09/21 08:43 PM
09/09/21 08:43 PM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

4 wheel disk was stock standard on 74 & 75 Imperials, optional on NYer at least in 76. I’ve panicked a couple passengers when intentionally hitting them a bit late and still stopping short. Transplanted the setup in to one of my Chargers and have another stashed. FWIW: they used B body front calipers on the back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2