Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
What are everyone's tricks for safely running the highest compression possible on pump gas? Also what is the most compression you have seen run safely on pump gas?

I will share a few tricks that work for me

Coolest intake air possible
Keep as much heat as possible out of engine compartment, wrap headers, minimize restriction of air flow out of the engine compartment from the radiator
Keep fuel as cool as possible, heat wrap lines near exhaust, keep lines as far as possible from exhaust, phenolic carb or phenolic carb spacer
Very tight quench
Aluminum heads when possible
Sharp angle on intake valve to help break up fuel droplets
Fully radius and polish exhaust valve head to keep it from getting hotter than nessacary and keep it from heating the air in the chamber
Don't be afraid of ethanol fuel
Coolest plug that don't foul out
Very careful control of timing, tight distributor bushing, carefully curved distributor
Late intake valve timing or at least not too early
Coolest engine temp that is reasonable, usually 180* on the street for me
Slightly loose converter
EFI with return line
Smooth out or round off any sharp edges in the combustion chamber
Find injectors with as many spray holes as possible for the given flow rate needed
Plastic intake manifold if I can find one for the application to keep the air cool (no 6.1 or eddy intake for my hemi)
On the new hemi 6.4 I run the piston squirters and stick a bunch of computer heat sinks on the oil pan and filter to keep that oil cooler to keep the chamber cooler

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2961020
09/04/21 07:02 PM
09/04/21 07:02 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
I can't say I have gone nuts on compression, but we have run the Hemis at 12:1 and Wedges at 10.8:1...

Its funny as I read thru your list, thinking there isn't that many tricks, but I do all those and a few more....

No 90* fittings unless totally needed
Fuel pump in the tank...
Buddy of mine uses a fuel pump speed controller
I drill out any restrictions in the fittings that have any kind of lip or restriction
Heat coverings over any lines that see heat is really helpful.
I don't wrap my headers, but I put real good heat paint on them.....

Also, don't run your stuff too lean.....You can always tell the guys that do...Headers turn funny colors and are super hot..

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: Dragula] #2961025
09/04/21 07:13 PM
09/04/21 07:13 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
What are you guys seeing for exhaust manifold/header temps at idle ?

Intake manifold temps after a short drive, at idle?

Water temp at the inlet and outlet of the rad after driving a bit.

Last edited by Transman; 09/04/21 07:13 PM.
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: A727Tflite] #2961048
09/04/21 08:26 PM
09/04/21 08:26 PM
Washington
H
hemienvy Offline
super stock
hemienvy  Offline
super stock
H

Washington
Just an idea.......

Instead of cooling the fuel, keep it warm so it evaporates better/easier. Warm and under pressure.

I like the other ideas.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: hemienvy] #2961197
09/05/21 11:09 AM
09/05/21 11:09 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
Instead of cooling the fuel, keep it warm so it evaporates better/easier. Warm and under pressure.

That's a good way to kill performance. Invent a time machine and go back to the days where you could get leaded Sunoco 260! They still make it minus the lead. What you need is either higher octane or Tetraethyl lead or both. Lead was a major ingredient to stop pre ignition(not to mention it's lubricating properties) but is no longer in automotive gas. It IS still in aviation fuel (Avgas). Any aviation fuel has higher octane than what you find at your local gas station. Back in the day a local Sunoco station had race fuel available right next to the standard gas pumps. Don't think you will fine one like that today.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2961236
09/05/21 01:17 PM
09/05/21 01:17 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Sodium filled exhaust valves allow for more compression on the same octane.

Another trick for non computer controlled ignition engines - an MSD adjustable ignition knob to retard timing if needed get out of detonation on long grades or pulling heavy loads.

Good free flowing exhaust including headers to keep temps down.

Block heat crossover in the intake to keep temps down.

Last edited by mgoblue9798; 09/05/21 01:20 PM.
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2962110
09/08/21 10:09 AM
09/08/21 10:09 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
pretty much the same, tight quench, cool air & fuel. close to my 400/500" stroker at 12.4:1 compression.

If I had the $$$, ceramic coated piston tops, chambers, valves, and valve seats that conduct heat well like copper beryllium valve seats.
maybe the dura-bond killer B PM valve seats for a gen III hemi? I would not want to machine beryllium without special PPE
https://www.dura-bondbearing.com/products/powder-metal-valve-seats/

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: 451Mopar] #2962169
09/08/21 01:24 PM
09/08/21 01:24 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I had ceramic long tube headers on my 99 dakota R/T with around 12 to 1 iron head 410CID and those headers you could still hold your fingers on for a couple seconds immediately after getting back from running hard down the highway even before shutting off the engine, most headers I have seen will melt your skin instantly on contact after somethign like that. Under hood temps were much lower than most other header equipped cars. Something else I did on that one was I ran an airgap style intake but it would not have much access to cool air to flow under it so I removed all the webbing I could from the huge AC/Alternator bracket and ran a big mechanical fan (I normally run electric fans) to keep a steady stream of air flowing through there. I even glued a phenolic resin type plate to the bottom of the intake to keep the hot cam oil from heating the intake.

Other things I have thought about as far as ways to keep the air cool is to use plastic ducting instead of metal (Aluminum dryer ducting), you could strip all the paint off a metal air cleaner and ceramic coat that, obviously make sure you suck air from in front of the radiator not behind it.

Sometimes lots of little things add up to make a pretty significant difference.

I always wonder why nobody makes phenolic resin intake manifold gaskets for old motors, it would be a nice way to help keep heat out of the intake manifold when plastic intakes are not available.

Has anyone come up with a good way to run reverse cooling on a mopar engine yet?

I am gonna see if my local machine shop can put copper beryllium exhaust seats in an iron magnum head I am getting ready to put in my next MPG project... I had not thought about doing that.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2962195
09/08/21 02:32 PM
09/08/21 02:32 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
I had ceramic long tube headers on my 99 dakota R/T with around 12 to 1 iron head 410CID and those headers you could still hold your fingers on for a couple seconds immediately after getting back from running hard down the highway even before shutting off the engine, most headers I have seen will melt your skin instantly on contact after somethign like that. Under hood temps were much lower than most other header equipped cars. Something else I did on that one was I ran an airgap style intake but it would not have much access to cool air to flow under it so I removed all the webbing I could from the huge AC/Alternator bracket and ran a big mechanical fan (I normally run electric fans) to keep a steady stream of air flowing through there. I even glued a phenolic resin type plate to the bottom of the intake to keep the hot cam oil from heating the intake.

Other things I have thought about as far as ways to keep the air cool is to use plastic ducting instead of metal (Aluminum dryer ducting), you could strip all the paint off a metal air cleaner and ceramic coat that, obviously make sure you suck air from in front of the radiator not behind it.

Sometimes lots of little things add up to make a pretty significant difference.

I always wonder why nobody makes phenolic resin intake manifold gaskets for old motors, it would be a nice way to help keep heat out of the intake manifold when plastic intakes are not available.

Has anyone come up with a good way to run reverse cooling on a mopar engine yet?

I am gonna see if my local machine shop can put copper beryllium exhaust seats in an iron magnum head I am getting ready to put in my next MPG project... I had not thought about doing that.

On the intake gaskets, why not use mutiply, 1/8 to 3/16” thick? My 1” and 2” multipy carb spacers work well

Last edited by cudaman1969; 09/08/21 02:32 PM.
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: cudaman1969] #2962377
09/09/21 06:03 AM
09/09/21 06:03 AM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
What about sealed (to the carb/air cleaner) vs. non-sealed hood scoop ? work

I have a six-pak scoop on my Dart's glass hood (single 4-barrel on Edelbrock RPM manifold with 1/2" nitrous plate and 1/2" phenolic spacer). Air cleaner is 14" open.

I think that the scoop opening is admitting more cool air to the engine compartment, but not as cool at the air cleaner as a sealed scoop would.
On the other hand, if air is getting "behind" the radiator via the scoop, it could be impeding the flow through the grille. Seems like a trade-off between intake temp, coolant temp and engine compartment temp.
My brain hurts shruggy

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: DrCharles] #2962472
09/09/21 12:55 PM
09/09/21 12:55 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
has anyone used a sealed air cleaner that picked up air from the cowl openings below the windshield ?
if so, could you tie into that area behind the hood hinges on a 69 B-body ?
what size air cleaner would work good for this ? 14x3 perhaps ?
beer

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2962534
09/09/21 03:58 PM
09/09/21 03:58 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
W/r/t "put copper beryllium exhaust seats"

Be in Kabul when this is done, safer.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: polyspheric] #2962869
09/11/21 09:24 AM
09/11/21 09:24 AM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
No love for thermal barrier coatings ?
With high compression and low octane , combustion chamber heat can be reduced by coating the piston and chamber.
I have read some interesting results from this.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2962899
09/11/21 10:54 AM
09/11/21 10:54 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
What are everyone's tricks for safely running the highest compression possible on pump gas? Also what is the most compression you have seen run safely on pump gas?

I will share a few tricks that work for me

Coolest intake air possible
Keep as much heat as possible out of engine compartment, wrap headers, minimize restriction of air flow out of the engine compartment from the radiator
Keep fuel as cool as possible, heat wrap lines near exhaust, keep lines as far as possible from exhaust, phenolic carb or phenolic carb spacer
Very tight quench
Aluminum heads when possible
Sharp angle on intake valve to help break up fuel droplets
Fully radius and polish exhaust valve head to keep it from getting hotter than nessacary and keep it from heating the air in the chamber
Don't be afraid of ethanol fuel
Coolest plug that don't foul out
Very careful control of timing, tight distributor bushing, carefully curved distributor
Late intake valve timing or at least not too early
Coolest engine temp that is reasonable, usually 180* on the street for me
Slightly loose converter
EFI with return line
Smooth out or round off any sharp edges in the combustion chamber
Find injectors with as many spray holes as possible for the given flow rate needed
Plastic intake manifold if I can find one for the application to keep the air cool (no 6.1 or eddy intake for my hemi)
On the new hemi 6.4 I run the piston squirters and stick a bunch of computer heat sinks on the oil pan and filter to keep that oil cooler to keep the chamber cooler

I ran a snow performance meth/H2O injection kit on my old 70 Charger. Worked very well. (11.5:1 440-6)

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #2962996
09/11/21 02:27 PM
09/11/21 02:27 PM
Out of the State of Confusion
blue_stocker Offline
pro stock
blue_stocker  Offline
pro stock

Out of the State of Confusion
Isn't there something about changing LSA/ICL on the camshaft timing events? Where's Mr Porter? I'm sure he can shed a tidbit or two on camshaft events...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Freedom must be repurchased by every new generation
General Daniel Jones, WW2 Tuskegee Airmen
Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: tubtar] #2963020
09/11/21 04:20 PM
09/11/21 04:20 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Originally Posted by tubtar
With high compression and low octane , combustion chamber heat can be reduced by coating the piston and chamber.

I am still undecided about coatings, here is why.

We know running aluminum heads can allow you around another full point of compression vs an otherwise identical iron head, the reason is it conducts the heat away from any hot spot faster so the hottest point in the chamber is no longer as hot and no longer as likely to pre-ignite the fuel. Same with the piston, the heat can spread out faster from any given point. Now we would add a ceramic coating that does the exact opposite...? It is possible I am missing something, maybe just keeping the heat from being absorbed in the first place outweighs it but my though is that it would just have a hot spot with the piston behind it still trying to transfer heat evenly through out but the surface could more easily develop a hot spot, sort of an in between of the properties of aluminum and iron...

One other thing I like to do that seems to work really well for me is running as flat a piston as possible, for example a 318 with stock flat top pistons, no valve reliefs set with a real tight quench and magnum heads let me get away with very high compression, lowest surface area possible for a piston to keep it from absorbing heat... it may be worthwhile to run a head with a bigger chamber so you can run less or no dish in the piston. I always prefer a perfectly flat piston if possible.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963063
09/11/21 06:43 PM
09/11/21 06:43 PM
Aus
H
hysteric Offline
hysteric  Offline
H

Aus

We know running aluminum heads can allow you around another full point of compression vs an otherwise identical iron head, the reason is it conducts the heat away from any hot spot faster so the hottest point in the chamber is no longer as hot and no longer as likely to pre-ignite the fuel. Same with the piston, the heat can spread out faster from any given point. Now we would add a ceramic coating that does the exact opposite...? It is possible I am missing something, maybe just keeping the heat from being absorbed in the first place outweighs it but my though is that it would just have a hot spot with the piston behind it still trying to transfer heat evenly through out but the surface could more easily develop a hot spot, sort of an in between of the properties of aluminum and iron...

One other thing I like to do that seems to work really well for me is running as flat a piston as possible, for example a 318 with stock flat top pistons, no valve reliefs set with a real tight quench and magnum heads let me get away with very high compression, lowest surface area possible for a piston to keep it from absorbing heat... it may be worthwhile to run a head with a bigger chamber so you can run less or no dish in the piston. I always prefer a perfectly flat piston if possible.

From what I understand after reading and talking to people who are doing it is the quality of the mixture delivered becomes critical especially when your making 2 HP per cube on pump gas. Another part of the picture is exhaust and how much of the previous charge is left in the chamber that will affect next combustion event. Good quench and a free flowing exhaust (good scavenging) would be the starting point and from there you can play with fuel delivery.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963220
09/12/21 12:33 PM
09/12/21 12:33 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
don't the magnum motors all flow reverse from regular LA small block?

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963252
09/12/21 02:07 PM
09/12/21 02:07 PM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
You simply need to do what the OEM has been doing for several decades, knock sensors and a computer to control the ignition timing. If you have a carb, at least a way to control the timing electronically, they build stand alone systems just to control the timing.
Do all the stuff listed by others quench, etc. but bottom line is you have to control the timing curve.

Re: High compression on pump gas tricks??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2963418
09/12/21 09:19 PM
09/12/21 09:19 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington

There is ZERO truth to the oft repeated nonsense that aluminum heads can use a point more compression than iron. None. Guys running iron heads can run the same compression as guys running aluminum heads. It’s ridiculous to keep saying that falsehood. There is no possible way in hell that running along at a cruise and running into tip in rattle will stop if you switch to aluminum. Common sense says the increase in heat load happens so fast it wouldn’t matter if the heads were made of unobtainimum it wouldn’t matter.

There are no “tricks” to running more compression than the “orthodox” standards we have been lead to believe. Common sense engine building, cam selection and chassis isnt trickeration. It’s common sense.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3